hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Knock down both ends, and bring them into behind the goals. Let the Hearys building people do it for us

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    A national sports arena for all sports with a good venue for concerts in the same complex just north of Falkirk where all the motorway networks converge is the answer. Build a rail extension and **** loads of parking. Easily accessible fior the majority of the population. Even the punters from up north don’t need to venture as far.

Promising Youngster
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A national sports arena for all sports with a good venue for concerts in the same complex just north of Falkirk where all the motorway networks converge is the answer. Build a rail extension and **** loads of parking. Easily accessible fior the majority of the population. Even the punters from up north don’t need to venture as far.
    Almost agree. I would sell off both and murrayfield and build a national stadium as close to Bannockburn as possible. How much more "Scotland" could it be! Road and rail links could be upgraded for access from the whole of Scotland. Stirling uni has good sports facilities for training. Sadly doubt the political will exists at government level nor, I suspect, the governing bodies of the SFA and SRU have the guts to make such a huge change from the accepted format of Glasgow for football and Edinburgh for rugby. Love to be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I've said for years we will buy a new stadium cut price from Qatar after the 2022 WC. That stupid friendly at ER wasn't for nothing and they'll have 7 or 8 stadiums to spare after their farcical tournament.

Whether that stadium is then reconstructed at the current site or moved elsewhere is the question.
    This idea would have never crossed my mind, but it's definitely an interesting concept. If people are talking on this thread about £60-70m Hampdem revamps, how much do you think the idea of moving then reconstructing a Qatar stadium would cost? Genuinely curious as it's never crossed my mind!

No matter what they do, they’ll still have to have an end each for the bigot brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by roc1 View Post
    Almost agree. I would sell off both and murrayfield and build a national stadium as close to Bannockburn as possible. How much more "Scotland" could it be! Road and rail links could be upgraded for access from the whole of Scotland. Stirling uni has good sports facilities for training. Sadly doubt the political will exists at government level nor, I suspect, the governing bodies of the SFA and SRU have the guts to make such a huge change from the accepted format of Glasgow for football and Edinburgh for rugby. Love to be wrong though.
    To be fair north of Falkirk isnt a boot in the arse of Bannockburn.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    The owner of Queens Park must make a fortune renting it out to the SFA, SPFL and for concerts etc!
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Ibrox, Celtic Park, Easter Road, Tynecastle and Murrayfield are all better equipped to host finals, semi finals and International games. Hampden is redundant and not fit for football in this day and age.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieCowan View Post
    Ibrox, Celtic Park, Easter Road, Tynecastle and Murrayfield are all better equipped to host finals, semi finals and International games. Hampden is redundant and not fit for football in this day and age.
    You're going to have to run by me how ER and especially the pink ***** hole is better equipped to host football matches than Hampden? Even Ibrox is falling apart. Why give more money to Celtic and huns?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    The owner of Queens Park must make a fortune renting it out to the SFA, SPFL and for concerts etc!
    Think it's Hampden Park Ltd who actually rent the stadium out, Queen's Park technically own it though as the original landlords (I think)

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Sadly you are probably right. But IMO Scotland needs to have a national stadium. Its true that countries like Germany and Spain share games around, but both countries have huge populations compared to Scotland and huge stadiums scattered all around the country, a luxury we certainly don't enjoy.

With Celtic and Sevco owning the only two stadiums capable of matching Hampden and the presence of at least one of them in every set of cup semi finals played, not to mention finals, the effect of having no national stadium would be as I said before to pump even more money into the coffers of the two clubs who are already miles in front of everybody else in spending power. If they have any regard for the general good of Scottish football its something the SFA and SPFL have to be worried about.

I've said it before ...... If the Scottish government were prepared to spend hundreds of millions on a glorified school sports day that subsequent studies have shown actually had no overall beneficial affects on the good health or prestige of the nation ... something they could have learned before the event by looking at the stats for previous commonwealth games and Olympics ... then there is no reason why they shouldn't get on board with helping to build this country a national football stadium we can be proud of and which is fit for purpose. They are quick enough to stick their nose in when it comes to using football for their own ends .... its time they did something to help it.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Left by mutual consent!
    Whatever happens with Hampden it gave both me and my brother who traveled through on 21st May 2016 the best footballing day of our lives as it did most of us Hi bees. Just wish those like my Dad who couldn't be there had been able to enjoy the day we won the Cup against the huns like we did. It was just magic. It may not be fit for the future but it will hold special memories like the day we won the Cup watching the Heroes.

GGTTH

Nice idea but you wouldn't get support for **** loads of parking in the current political climate (pun intended).
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I've said for years we will buy a new stadium cut price from Qatar after the 2022 WC. That stupid friendly at ER wasn't for nothing and they'll have 7 or 8 stadiums to spare after their farcical tournament.

Whether that stadium is then reconstructed at the current site or moved elsewhere is the question.
    I said the same thing on a previous thread relating to this subject ..... Qatar's bid was actually partly based on giving away the stadiums to other countries once the tournament was over. I presume that meant poor African countries and the like, but seeing as how most 'poor African countries' already have better national stadiums than Scotland whose to say we couldn't be in the running.

Hell, there's a good chance it could happen ... Imagine the mirth in the middle east if Scotland, part of the supposed 5th richest economy on the planet could make a better case for the charitable gift of a stadium than Ethiopia or Kenya.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Nice idea but you wouldn't get support for **** loads of parking in the current political climate (pun intended).
    It'd certainly be very very interesting indeed to find out which scottish politicians who are against cars in principle have homes with parking spaces/garages attached. If it was Brucie's deal or no deal I'd say above 50%?

GGTTH

Aside from the botched rebuild, the biggest missed opportunity was for the Commonwealth Games. The chance could have been taken to completely replicate how it worked for Manchester 2002 which resulted in a true world class football stadium on the back of an athletics stadium. Instead I suspect Glasgow's bid was only successful because it could be done on the cheap, just as Birmingham are finding out now.

The SFA are only threatening to leave Hampden to pressure the owners over the costs of upgrading and an anticipated rates hike. They certainly won't be pushing for a new stadium or a major rebuild.

Paul Lambert was on the radio saying the atmosphere at Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen was much better in the campaign to get to France 98 but I guess a winning team also helps in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    Aside from the botched rebuild, the biggest missed opportunity was for the Commonwealth Games. The chance could have been taken to completely replicate how it worked for Manchester 2002 which resulted in a true world class football stadium on the back of an athletics stadium. Instead I suspect Glasgow's bid was only successful because it could be done on the cheap, just as Birmingham are finding out now.
    Are Birmingham not the only bidder? I thought I heard the were and had still been knocked back as the bid was unacceptable. The deadline was extended till they upped their game.

Are Birmingham not the only bidder? I thought I heard the were and had still been knocked back as the bid was unacceptable. The deadline was extended till they upped their game.
    Liverpool were also going to bid but that would have involved building a new stadium so the government put forward Birmingham as the 'preferred bidder' as theirs involved just an upgrading of the existing athletics stadium rather than building a new one.

Hampden was a great place to be in 2016 and indeed 2007 but those in the media trying to link it with wonderful international games at the old Hampden are way off the mark.Other than the place there’s no connection between the grounds and therefore no great history to affect decisions on its future.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Hampden was a great place to be in 2016 and indeed 2007 but those in the media trying to link it with wonderful international games at the old Hampden are way off the mark.Other than the place there’s no connection between the grounds and therefore no great history to affect decisions on its future.
    Oh I don't know, the legroom does suggest that it was designed using the average height of a man in the 1930's.

SFA should not be held to ransom, I would like to see a new stadium, failing that it should be moved between Parkhead, Ibrox and if the two uglies are in a final then Murrayfield.
    On saying that, would we be held to ransom by the uglies. Mibbe a joint stadium venture between SRU and SFA would be a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    SFA should not be held to ransom, I would like to see a new stadium, failing that it should be moved between Parkhead, Ibrox and if the two uglies are in a final then Murrayfield.
    On saying that, would we be held to ransom by the uglies. Mibbe a joint stadium venture between SRU and SFA would be a starter.
    SRU will quite rightly be looking after their own interests and undoubtedly take it in i such a situation. Credit to them for getting their house in order rather than the mess the SFA made with Hampden.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    With a decision whether or not to renew our commitment to the national stadium looming ever closer for the SFA what are folks thoughts on it?

It does seem logical to bin the whole thing and stick two fingers up to Queens Park, who own it but never put a penny into it, and take the internationals around the country, that is until you look at exactly what that will mean. Every game with any meaning will still be played in Glasgow, with the rest of the country getting meaningless friendlies or the busted flush qualifiers nobody wants to see and the ugly sisters dividing up the spoils from the games where there's real money to be made, including the league and Scottish cup finals, putting even more money into their pockets.

I can honestly also see a scenario where the venue for old firm semi finals or cup finals will be either decided on the toss of a coin or played on a two legged basis. I simply cant see police Scotland allowing them to play each other at the only other stadium capable of holding the game which is in Edinburgh, even if the police were ok with it the council would never sanction it IMO.

Taking all this into account I would say we simply have to do two things:

The first is to find a way to wrest control of Hampden from Queens Park .. rental for the stadium from the SFA, SPFL, concerts and other events goes into their company ... but any renovations to the stadium over the years has been paid for from grants and sponsorships only attained because of the involvement of football with the stadium ... when the pitch gets re laid for example I'm pretty sure the SFA pay for it, not Queens Park ..... its a farcical situation.

The second ... dependent on the first happening ... is for Scottish football to find a way to rebuild the stadium and take its capacity up to at least 60,000 ... Look at what they did to the Maracanã Stadium ... nothing fancy, they just built another basic one tier stadium but with the stands much closer to the pitch. That's all they need to do with Hampden, knock down the east, north and west stands and rebuild them much steeper and much closer to the pitch at both ends ... steepness means more height, but if they want the stands to be level all the way round all they need to do is lower the pitch and put another section in front of the south stand to bring it level with the others.

They could probably do the whole lot for 70 million quid and when you look at the money SKY and BT pump into the EPL and Champion's league I bet you could get them to put up at least 40 million of it for the naming rights .... the SKY Hampden park stadium would perhaps even appeal to them.

As you can see its a slow Sunday and I'm bored waiting for the Scotland game to start ...... But in all seriousness, IMO allowing Hampden to pass into history would be a huge mistake.
    It's had it's day. Time to move on

I really like the Swedish national stadium - Friends Arena I think it's called.

Smart design - with a roof and atmosphere is good.

It would be a massive boost to Scottish football if we have a national stadium to be proud of but instead nearly everyone in the country moans about Hampden.

Just imagine cup finals and semi finals with a better venue than Hampden. The only reason I like Ibrox for neutral venues is that it retains the noise when the stadium is split and looks good on TV etc when fans score.

Scotland has bigger issues than the national stadium but a revamp of the structure and a new bold plan to sort the national stadium would give fans and players something to look forward to if done properly to last for the future with good transport links etc. The only main issue is of course funding...

My opinion as a neutral is that it's a terrible stadium. That's all I have to say!

Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    SRU will quite rightly be looking after their own interests and undoubtedly take it in i such a situation. Credit to them for getting their house in order rather than the mess the SFA made with Hampden.
    I think, someone mentioned earlier on another thread, the SRU also have financial woes and Murrayfield is becoming a bit expensive to maintain.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    It's not the greatest stadium in the world, but not half as bad as some make out. One of footballs most famous venues and every Scottish football fan will have memories never to be forgotten, be that international or club. I hope we continue on at Hampden Park.
    2 games - Scottish League Cup Final 1972-73 Hibernian 2 Septic 1 ! As a 11-12 year-old laddie, that game was just magical for me - even having my jeans splattered with the contents of a tossed can of Warm 'Pale Ale' when we scored the 2nd, couldn't take the smile off my face ! Still in the 70's - 1973 - Scotland 2 Czechoslovakia 1 - what a game, what a train-journey back to Edinburgh, what a day at school the morning after- 'BUZZING' just doesn't sum it up sufficiently enough ! In those days, a big game at Hampden WAS a joy to go to, even though it really was on it's last legs !. The WC Qualifier against Czechoslovakia, my mate and me were in the Hun-end and when Jim Holton equalised, the effect was like every single person in the stadium had lit-up a ciggie due to the 'Cinder/Ash' terracing taking a pounding from the absolutely ecstatic celebrations and the clouds of cinder/ash just billowed up - honestly, it took roughly 2-3 minutes before we could see the other end of the pitch !

Sadly, imho, the last 'Major redevelopement' ruined Hampden, I don't know how or why (perhaps the position/angle etc of the stands/roofs have affected Hampden 'acoustically' ??) but the level of noise just seems muted, it's certainly not the 'Hampden Roar' of old !. Maybe it's because the redevelopement was done on the cheap, I don't know, I'm certainly no architect but perhaps if the original redevelopement had been done in 1980, it would've been done properly but thanks to our old chums - THE HUN - who, as usual, out for themselves and themselves alone, scuppered it in an attempt to have all the big-games played at 'Greyskull' !

http://www.qpfc.com/hampden/hampden04.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    I think, someone mentioned earlier on another thread, the SRU also have financial woes and Murrayfield is becoming a bit expensive to maintain.
    Isn't that generally caused by them underwriting the Edinburgh and Glasgow pro clubs?

Burn it down down start again, disgrace of a National Stadium.....

... as long as we can have the goals that SDG scored the winner against the Huns on 21 May 2016. That is sacred ground .