hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 31
  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    10,259
    Blog Entries
    1

    Salmond & The Hootsman

    Just read that Salmond part of a consortium that is trying to buy The Scotsman from Johnson Press.
    (Brian Wilson put on suicide watch no doubt. )

    https://dailybusinessgroup.co.uk/201...-for-scotsman/
    Last edited by snooky; 08-10-2017 at 10:59 AM.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    First poster to move from “it’s a rag” to “I always had a soft spot for it” wins a prize.

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    10,259
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    First poster to move from “it’s a rag” to “I always had a soft spot for it” wins a prize.
    Or vice versa?

  5. #4
    Coaching Staff Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    31,755
    I've always had a soft spot for that rag.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!



  6. #5
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Posts
    9,283
    Good. The Scotsman is unrecognisable from the great paper it once was.

  7. #6
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,357
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good. The Scotsman is unrecognisable from the great paper it once was.
    We have a winner.

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    10,259
    Blog Entries
    1
    "The Times" Aren't A-Changing. Well, not according to WoS.
    Times journo Dan Sanderson saying that the SNP conference poorly attended while the Rev provides conflicting photos.
    Come one boys, which one of you is telling the porkies?

  9. #8
    Coaching Staff Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    31,755
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "The Times" Aren't A-Changing. Well, not according to WoS.
    Times journo Dan Sanderson saying that the SNP conference poorly attended while the Rev provides conflicting photos.
    Come one boys, which one of you is telling the porkies?
    Both, probably.

    But people will believe exactly what they want to.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 11-10-2017 at 09:50 AM.

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "The Times" Aren't A-Changing. Well, not according to WoS.
    Times journo Dan Sanderson saying that the SNP conference poorly attended while the Rev provides conflicting photos.
    Come one boys, which one of you is telling the porkies?
    I'd suggest both have utilised photos that appear to support what they wanted to see.
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

  11. #10
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,357
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "The Times" Aren't A-Changing. Well, not according to WoS.
    Times journo Dan Sanderson saying that the SNP conference poorly attended while the Rev provides conflicting photos.
    Come one boys, which one of you is telling the porkies?
    I'm sure the photographers could have taken a photo of empty seats at any of the party conferences.

    The truth will be somewhere in the middle.

  12. #11
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    10,259
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure the photographers could have taken a photo of empty seats at any of the party conferences.

    The truth will be somewhere in the middle.
    And to be fair, the Rev could do the same.

    My point is, these days there's so much spin, morphing into fake news, that the real truth is almost impossible to ascertain sometimes.
    It's a sad reflection on our current media culture as a whole. Utterly devoid of morals or ethics.

  13. #12
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,357
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And to be fair, the Rev could do the same.

    My point is, these days there's so much spin, morphing into fake news, that the real truth is almost impossible to ascertain sometimes.
    It's a sad reflection on our current media culture as a whole. Utterly devoid of morals or ethics.
    AGREE.

    I noticed that dans photo was posted at 3.05, and the speech started a wee bit later. 😂

  14. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "The Times" Aren't A-Changing. Well, not according to WoS.
    Times journo Dan Sanderson saying that the SNP conference poorly attended while the Rev provides conflicting photos.
    Come one boys, which one of you is telling the porkies?
    Actually he doesn't really.

    The journo tweet pic:



    One of WoS pics:



    The white barrier running behind the walkway in pic 1 is the white barrier near the top of pic2. In pic2 you can't see behind it to see if there's folk there as it's too dark. Either way, there's still a humungous amount more people there than for any other Scottish party conference, so I'm not sure why either party feels the need to make an issue?

  15. #14
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    10,259
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually he doesn't really.

    The journo tweet pic:......

    ....The white barrier running behind the walkway in pic 1 is the white barrier near the top of pic2. In pic2 you can't see behind it to see if there's folk there as it's too dark. Either way, there's still a humungous amount more people there than for any other Scottish party conference, so I'm not sure why either party feels the need to make an issue?
    That's my point. Both photos could be perfectly kosher however, it's how they are presented and described that bothers me.
    Smoke and mirrors/fake news/twisted reporting - call it what you like.
    They should just tell it like it is and stop distorting everything into a misconception.

    To me, The Times reporter appears to be guilty of that charge in this instance by his insinuation that the place was half empty.
    Last edited by snooky; 11-10-2017 at 03:16 PM.

  16. #15
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,305
    The place was packed full watched it live and yeas there were odd spaces but at the standing ovations you could see it was packed

    Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

  17. #16
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And to be fair, the Rev could do the same.

    My point is, these days there's so much spin, morphing into fake news, that the real truth is almost impossible to ascertain sometimes.
    It's a sad reflection on our current media culture as a whole. Utterly devoid of morals or ethics.
    Sorry to take this OT, but I'm going to say something positive about Donald Trump.

    His "fake news" phrase is catchy, and people have noted it. More than ever, people are questioning sources, questioning the accuracy of what they are seeing/reading, and questioning the motivation of the people producing the work.

    This is a good thing.

    (On this occasion I'll turn a blind eye to the fact that it is purely accidental, and that his intentions are more likely to be attempts to mislead and obfuscate for personal gain.)

  18. #17
    Coaching Staff Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    31,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry to take this OT, but I'm going to say something positive about Donald Trump.

    His "fake news" phrase is catchy, and people have noted it. More than ever, people are questioning sources, questioning the accuracy of what they are seeing/reading, and questioning the motivation of the people producing the work.

    This is a good thing.

    (On this occasion I'll turn a blind eye to the fact that it is purely accidental, and that his intentions are more likely to be attempts to mislead and obfuscate for personal gain.)
    I doubt that you meant it that way, but the term "fake news" wasn't coined by Trump. It's not his phrase although he uses it all the time.

    Give him credit for nowt. 😁
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!



  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 'Mains
    Posts
    2,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I doubt that you meant it that way, but the term "fake news" wasn't coined by Trump. It's not his phrase although he uses it all the time.

    Give him credit for nowt.
    And on top of that, the "Fake News" stuff was originally pointed at him and his supporters.... Now he's in power he's done a 180 degree turn on it as it no longer suits his agenda

    Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

  20. #19
    Coaching Staff Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    31,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And on top of that, the "Fake News" stuff was originally pointed at him and his supporters.... Now he's in power he's done a 180 degree turn on it as it no longer suits his agenda

    Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    He's u-turned on a number of things.

    Jailing people (especially relatives) for using personal email servers for White House business, being one.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!



  21. #20
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,680
    I hate myself for saying anything remotely positive about Trump as I truly cannot stand him, but i do think it is possibly the only thing that has happened during his tenure that can be viewed as positive.

    He may not have coined the phrase, but his use of it and the fact that the most powerful man in the world is encouraging scrutiny of media outlets and to have people asking questions is in my opinion a good thing.

    If for no other reason than the fact that it might end up snaring Trump.

  22. #21
    ADMIN marinello59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I still live in hope.
    Posts
    28,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hate myself for saying anything remotely positive about Trump as I truly cannot stand him, but i do think it is possibly the only thing that has happened during his tenure that can be viewed as positive.

    He may not have coined the phrase, but his use of it and the fact that the most powerful man in the world is encouraging scrutiny of media outlets and to have people asking questions is in my opinion a good thing.

    If for no other reason than the fact that it might end up snaring Trump.
    There is nothing positive about it at all. It's a dangerous attack on the freedom of the press, he wants to shut down any criticism, it beggars belief that people are actually supporting him on this.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

  23. #22
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is nothing positive about it at all. It's a dangerous attack on the freedom of the press, he wants to shut down any criticism, it beggars belief that people are actually supporting him on this.
    I'm not supporting him on it. He's a deranged lunatic who in talking about "fake news" is more often than not attempting to discredit people who are justifiably criticising him.

    I am merely pointing out the fact that "fake news" is becoming a popular phrase as people question the accuracy and intentions of media articles (such as the one above which is about Sky, The Times and coverage of the SNP conference) more than ever, mainly due to the repeated us of the phrase by the president of the USA.

    Which is, in my opinion, an accidental good thing that Trump has done.

  24. #23
    ADMIN marinello59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I still live in hope.
    Posts
    28,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not supporting him on it. He's a deranged lunatic who in talking about "fake news" is more often than not attempting to discredit people who are justifiably criticising him.

    I am merely pointing out the fact that "fake news" is becoming a popular phrase as people question the accuracy and intentions of media articles (such as the one above which is about Sky, The Times and coverage of the SNP conference) more than ever, mainly due to the repeated us of the phrase by the president of the USA.

    Which is, in my opinion, an accidental good thing that Trump has done.
    'Fake News' is nothing more than a catch phrase for people to employ when denouncing the 'MSM' for reporting anything that does not fit in with their own particular world view. People have always been capable extracting the relevant information and forming their own opinions based on the what they read, see and hear from the media. All that is new now is that Trump and others like him would rather trust some rather unsavoury bloggers who tell them what they want to hear.
    The National is a mainstream media publication staffed by journalists who have exactly the same morals and ethic as journalists on other publications. What do you think the chances of any SNP supporters here or elsewhere dismissing anything they report as fake news are?
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

  25. #24
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,357
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's my point. Both photos could be perfectly kosher however, it's how they are presented and described that bothers me.
    Smoke and mirrors/fake news/twisted reporting - call it what you like.
    They should just tell it like it is and stop distorting everything into a misconception.

    To me, The Times reporter appears to be guilty of that charge in this instance by his insinuation that the place was half empty.


    A wee twitter spat occurred yesterday, with Aidan Kerr's story about a minister taking a taxi ride costing £4.68, to an event she was speaking at about active learning through physical activity.

    She took a taxi from the parliament to meadowbank stadium. The story in this case was true, but you have to wonder about the motives behind it.

    https://t.co/MwWDId5ns2


    Miles Briggs, tory MSP piled in to condemn the minister, forgetting that he took a taxi ride from the Parliament to the pleasance for £2.75

    It might have been a slow news day, yesterday, however, I would have thought we've more news stories to be going on with at the moment.

  26. #25
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,160
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    A wee twitter spat occurred yesterday, with Aidan Kerr's story about a minister taking a taxi ride costing £4.68, to an event she was speaking at about active learning through physical activity.

    She took a taxi from the parliament to meadowbank stadium. The story in this case was true, but you have to wonder about the motives behind it.

    https://t.co/MwWDId5ns2


    Miles Briggs, tory MSP piled in to condemn the minister, forgetting that he took a taxi ride from the Parliament to the pleasance for £2.75

    It might have been a slow news day, yesterday, however, I would have thought we've more news stories to be going on with at the moment.
    Stories like that really are gutter journalism. Its not as if Ministers can just leave 45 minutes early so they can take a gentle stroll down london road to meadowbank.

    I appreciate the tories in scotland are a bit sensitive when it comes to taxi expenses, but that is petty in the extreme.

  27. #26
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    'Fake News' is nothing more than a catch phrase for people to employ when denouncing the 'MSM' for reporting anything that does not fit in with their own particular world view. People have always been capable extracting the relevant information and forming their own opinions based on the what they read, see and hear from the media. All that is new now is that Trump and others like him would rather trust some rather unsavoury bloggers who tell them what they want to hear.
    The National is a mainstream media publication staffed by journalists who have exactly the same morals and ethic as journalists on other publications. What do you think the chances of any SNP supporters here or elsewhere dismissing anything they report as fake news are?
    I'm an SNP supporter and agree with exactly what you say about it. Their stories will be told in a particular way, from a particular angle, to engage with a particular demographic and is unlikely to be any more or less accurate than anything else from any other paper. It will be spin, spin, spin (which is fine from my point of view as it is spin that is easy enough to hear).

    They might venture into "fake news" territory from time to time, every paper will get their facts wrong from time to time.

    It is interesting to see how events like this SNP conference are reported on, especially if it happens to be something you have witnessed first hand. It would be interesting to hear from people at the conference whether the room was half full as some papers say, or bursting at the seams like the National side would suggest.

    I suppose "what actually happened" in the aftermath of the 2016 Scottish Cup final would be an example.

  28. #27
    @hibs.net private member 660's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,009
    Wasn’t fake news originally made up articles on obscure websites circulated on social media to purposefully push an agenda, often done by hostile governments.

    It had nothing to do with the MSM until Trump adopted it to attack the press and draw attention away from a serious issue which was a factor in him winning the election.

  29. #28
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,160
    Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wasn’t fake news originally made up articles on obscure websites circulated on social media to purposefully push an agenda, often done by hostile governments.

    It had nothing to do with the MSM until Trump adopted it to attack the press and draw attention away from a serious issue which was a factor in him winning the election.
    Yeah i think so.

  30. #29
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    A wee twitter spat occurred yesterday, with Aidan Kerr's story about a minister taking a taxi ride costing £4.68, to an event she was speaking at about active learning through physical activity.

    She took a taxi from the parliament to meadowbank stadium. The story in this case was true, but you have to wonder about the motives behind it.

    https://t.co/MwWDId5ns2


    Miles Briggs, tory MSP piled in to condemn the minister, forgetting that he took a taxi ride from the Parliament to the pleasance for £2.75

    It might have been a slow news day, yesterday, however, I would have thought we've more news stories to be going on with at the moment.
    That just looks like a tory press release attacking the SNP and the journalist has been happy to present it
    to a larger audience.

    If the journalist's intention was to attack expenses he could have pointed out a number of MSPs, from all party's, have claimed expenses for short taxi journeys, including the hypocrite he's quoted in the article. But I'm thinking that wasn't the point of the article.
    Last edited by Mr Grieves; 14-10-2017 at 01:05 PM.

  31. #30
    @hibs.net private member McD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,688
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That just looks like a tory press release attacking the SNP and the journalist has been happy to present it
    to a larger audience.

    If the journalist's intention was to attack expenses he could have pointed out a number of MSPs, from all party's, have claimed expenses for short taxi journeys, including the hypocrite he's quoted in the article. But I'm thinking that wasn't the point of the article.

    One of if my main reasons for not having much trust or faith in most politicians, the hypocrisy, double standards, whataboutery, lying, self serving crap that most of them come out with.

    Feels like it’s moved away from ‘vote for us because we'll do xyz’, and more along the lines of ‘don’t vote for them coz they’re bad, or badder than us at least’.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved