hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In that case, if ever by accident it does happen to you, I'd be willing to help you out.
    Okay, join the queue ...

Q.jpg

2. Log in to remove the advert

Big boat in the Med will do me.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    One thing I wouldn’t do though, is try to buy Hibs
    Imagine haggling with Petrie, when he knew you had all this miney😄

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    setting up a charitable foundation for distressed gentlefolk.
    On behalf of distressed gentlefolk everywhere , I thank you. 😉

The only over time I've seen that phrase, was when I worked for a large Government Department with offices all over Edinburgh, and one in Market Street in Gala. Were you in that line of work?

No great desire from anyone to buy Hibs.

Essential to get half the money into the USA before Europe and the UK go bust.

hi

I think the amount was silly really, as a poster above has said it should be capped !

Like some people have said i d help family and friends out and of course help alot of charaties out ( i think if i won 170 million they d get alot)
    .I recall my dad saying he read about some guy winning the lottery and saying to his kids i ll pay off your debts, buy you a house, buy you a car and bang thats your lot.

Im a bit of a money tight kinda guy ( not related to petrie i assure you )
    and would go as follows
    1. pay off any debt any of my family memebers have.
    2, buy everyone in the family a house.
    3 buy myself a house
    4 i d put money aside for when im older (do this for family as well)
    5 have a travel pot- money set aside for travelling.
    6, give money to charity
    I think all in all i think anything over £20million would do me and i think that ll be my answer to the O.P s question

Old enough to know better. Stupid enough to do it anyway. Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    No great desire from anyone to buy Hibs.

Essential to get half the money into the USA before Europe and the UK go bust.
    I'd buy hearts. I reckon I could run them into the ground for a fraction of what Romanov spent

Buy Leigh Griffiths/Liam Henderson and give SJM a contract for life :-)

I'd hope if I won serious money I'd be able to make a difference to people's life's both those close to me and those not.

Free sports for kids across the city, accessible to every background.

A place for homeless people to come for a meal and hot shower with optional support.

The truth is I'll probably never know. I could turn in to an ever bigger **** than l am now. Go on a self destruction and be dead within a few years.

A lot
    21.05.2016. I Was There.

.net PM board "Biggest Slaver of the year 2014"

Less talk, more gifs. :

£170 million????? I'd genuinely give all my friends and family between £500K and £1million each which would then leave me about £100 million to buy a house here, a house in Spain and a house in the USA. Reason I'd give them all the money isn't because I'm a decent guy but because that amount of money would change everything and as much as I'd want to, you can't keep the same relationships when that much money is involved. Simple things like my kids having to change schools and have bodyguards and stuff day to day and having to move into a gated secured community would eat into it. You couldn't win that sort of money and still live in the local community and drink in the local pub. You'd need to move away and have people like Messi and Ronaldo as your neighbours and have 24 hour security, drivers, etc...

Don't think I'd buy hibs but like to think I'd give them a good few million as well though.

I'd sort out family and friends mortgages and other debts then give them a decent wedge to set themselves up.

I'd quite like to set up a business along similar lines to social bite but offering walking tours and guided trips of Scotland as a product. Give a few people who need a second (or 3rd or 4th...) chance a job and then plough any profits into community projects.

I'd buy a couple of racehorses. Send one to a Scottish trainer and have a bit fun around the likes of Kelso and Musselburgh then send another to a top trainer down south and look to win something prestigous.

Following on from that there's a wonderful chairty in England called Greatwood. They use retired racehorses to offer equine activities to children with special educational needs. I'd like to do something similar in Scotland. I like donkeys as well so I'd probably tag a donkey sanctuary of some kind on as well.

Buy a nice house for myself. Nothing too OTT with '6 reception rooms and 18 bedrooms'. Nice quiet place within easy commuting distance of Edinburgh and a holiday villa in the south of France.

I'd attend as many major sporting events as I could and take friends with me. Again I'd also try and find a way to get as many kids and adults who might not otherwise get the opportunity along with me.

There's much more but my imagination is running a bit dry at the moment.

Bearing in mind even at the base interest rate my money could be making over £400 000 a year for me (before tax) I reckon I could have a lifestyle I can currently only dream of without buying property for even more personal gain and further exacberating the housing crisis.
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    I've always said that these wins should be capped...say at 10m. Most people would struggle to get through any more than that. The remainder would sit in a bank, doing very little for them and nothing for the wider economy. It would be a waste.

Far better that 17 families have the problem.......than just 1.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
    On your first point about capping and how much you actually need, it depends how old you are. I remember reading an article a number of years ago about what you’d need to win in order to give up work and live on an amount equal to the take home pay of the national average salary. For someone in their 20s/30s the experts, I think, said you’d have to win £8m-£10m. That figure will have gone up since then no doubt.

Channel 5 News had Jane Park on the other night and the presenter asked an interesting question of her. ‘Surely this has had a negative impact on your ambition in life?’ If I won a large sum, I’d definitely use some of it to do something, set up a small business or something along those lines.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    I need enough to put a roof over the family's head, feed them and enjoy a wee luxury now and then. Not sure that winning millions would improve our quality of life.

Blog Entries
    Would anybody be willing to blow the lot in a oner and buy Messi for Hibs?

The big problem would be, who do we drop?

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Would anybody be willing to blow the lot in a oner and buy Messi for Hibs?

The big problem would be, who do we drop?
    £170 million wouldn't be enough.

Think how much good you could do in the world with that kind of money.

Testimonial Due
    Id ceetainly try and bankroll a title charge for Hibs. The sad thing is, it would probably be nowhere near enough.

People talk about it changing life, would you habe to tell people? Id like to think i could keep it very quiet, and only tell people you won a wee bit of cash.

Then id set up a business and use that as cover for doing extravagant things with my mates (company expenses etc).

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    On your first point about capping and how much you actually need, it depends how old you are. I remember reading an article a number of years ago about what you’d need to win in order to give up work and live on an amount equal to the take home pay of the national average salary. For someone in their 20s/30s the experts, I think, said you’d have to win £8m-£10m. That figure will have gone up since then no doubt.

Channel 5 News had Jane Park on the other night and the presenter asked an interesting question of her. ‘Surely this has had a negative impact on your ambition in life?’ If I won a large sum, I’d definitely use some of it to do something, set up a small business or something along those lines.
    I found the article. I was talking rubbish. It was £2m for someone in their early twenties.

Was the prize won, then?

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    I found the article. I was talking rubbish. It was £2m for someone in their early twenties.
    When I read your first post I was going to say it seemed rather high. £2m is what I'd considered as enough to retire and live an exceptional life.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    When I read your first post I was going to say it seemed rather high. £2m is what I'd considered as enough to retire and live an exceptional life.
    Depends how old you are - that's only £50k pa for 40 years.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    First thing i'd do would be getting a tv licence, and then the full sky package with BT Sports thrown in too.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Which is plenty.

Capital to buy a place outright and have no rent/mortgage to pay and the rest would allow for a very comfortable life after that.
    Mon the Hibs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    £170 million wouldn't be enough.
    Okay. What if we throw in a couple of our reserves with the £170m - that might clinch it.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Okay. What if we throw in a couple of our reserves with the £170m - that might clinch it.
    A straight swap with SJM might clinch the deal but that would upset a few on here.

£2m is what I'd considered as enough to retire and live an exceptional life.
    Would be more than that, because the capital's earning interest. You'd need to be pretty foolish (say, buy a helluva lot of plastic owls in the early years) to take less than £70k pa for 40 years out of a £2m windfall.

Which is plenty.

Capital to buy a place outright and have no rent/mortgage to pay and the rest would allow for a very comfortable life after that.
    It wouldn't be an exceptional life you'd lead on £50k pa. It'd be a bit less if the plan is to buy the property outright as well.

You'd have a nice house and car plus an all inclusive holiday every year. It'd be comfortable but not exceptional.

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Would be more than that, because the capital's earning interest. You'd need to be pretty foolish (say, buy a helluva lot of plastic owls in the early years) to take less than £70k pa for 40 years out of a £2m windfall.
    True - although interest rates are so low it would need to be invested at a decent risk level to make a decent return. And in the scenario we're reducing the capital to buy property as well.

Comfortable on £70k but not exceptional.

It wouldn't be an exceptional life you'd lead on £50k pa. It'd be a bit less if the plan is to buy the property outright as well.

You'd have a nice house and car plus an all inclusive holiday every year. It'd be comfortable but not exceptional.
    I see where you're coming from, and I guess it comes down to how we each perceive comfortable and exceptional.

If I send £250k on either a decent flat or a very nice house and have £1.75m left which (foregoing the additional interest or investment gains I could make) would net me £35k per year (for 50 years) with no tax or rent to pay.

That would be enough of a jump on my disposable income/standard of living - which I already consider to be comfortable - for me to call exceptional.

I see where you're coming from, and I guess it comes down to how we each perceive comfortable and exceptional.

If I send £250k on either a decent flat or a very nice house and have £1.75m left which (foregoing the additional interest or investment gains I could make) would net me £35k per year (for 50 years) with no tax or rent to pay.

That would be enough of a jump on my disposable income/standard of living - which I already consider to be comfortable - for me to call exceptional.
    Sounds decent - I didn't factor in continuing to work...