hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tv Licensing

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ELHACHE

Tv Licensing

Debating whether or not to buy the TV license, wondering what other folks’ thoughts are on the whole thing?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Not doing so is stealing.

Depends if you want to steal it or not. I think it's fair to say that there are different levels of things you can steal and different people have different thresholds.
    Mon the Hibs.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GlasMatt PSN ID: mrxblaikiex
    Wait till they ask for it, if you have Virgin or Sky it won't be long!

Scottish Cup Victory - Witness 2016 Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not doing so is stealing.

Depends if you want to steal it or not. I think it's fair to say that there are different levels of things you can steal and different people have different thresholds.
    Nothing like stealing at all. Stealing is when you take someone else's property not refusing to pay a tax or licence fee.
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

Stopped paying it in 2014 and packed in watching live TV. I don't miss it at all. I have a chrome cast and watch stuff from online (except of course BBC).

It's been 3 years. I was once visited by an inspector but since then, just put in an exemption notice that lasts 2 years before theyll ask again.

Highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Nothing like stealing at all. Stealing is when you take someone else's property not refusing to pay a tax or licence fee.
    They're taking the BBC's programming without paying for the service. It's stealing. It is an interesting concept though, different grades of stealing and where people draw the line.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    They're taking the BBC's programming without paying for the service. It's stealing. It is an interesting concept though, different grades of stealing and where people draw the line.
    Stealing you say? The BBC are stealing from us. Providing government propaganda under the pretence of a non-political service.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    How do you know they're watching any BBC content whatsoever?

I think it depends - if you don't watch any live TV, and don't use the BBC iPlayer for anything, you can safely bin your license.
    Okay, technically I'm a serial killer...

Refusing to pay for a license is not stealing, how can you prove by not paying for a licence they are actually watching BBC or taking it's content? Nothing to do with drawing a line your claim just isn't valid.
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

@hibs.net private member
    Refusing to pay for a license is not stealing, how can you prove by not paying for a licence they are actually watching BBC or taking it's content? Nothing to do with drawing a line your claim just isn't valid.
    Would you agree that choosing not to buy a licence , yet still actively accessing BBC radio or TV is wrong??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Stealing you say? The BBC are stealing from us. Providing government propaganda under the pretence of a non-political service.
    Nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    How do you know they're watching any BBC content whatsoever?

I think it depends - if you don't watch any live TV, and don't use the BBC iPlayer for anything, you can safely bin your license.
    I think it's more far fetched to say they aren't using any BBC services. Although watching live content from other providers does also require you to have the license (open to be proved wrong on that one though) - so your still breaking the law regardless.

Owning the TV license gives you the right to use certain services, using those services and not paying for them is stealing. I'd be fairly confident that those services are being consumed in pretty much every case of someone owning a TV.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Would you agree that choosing not to buy a licence , yet still actively accessing BBC radio or TV is wrong??

There are different degrees of wrong IMO.

I have IPTV now, and had a dodgy sky box with card sharing for years until that went tits up.

The worry of not having a TV licence does not even register with me, but i suppose i have no real morals on this subject, and if i am perfectly honest, it makes not one jot of difference what anyone says about it, when putting the other side of the argument forward.

@hibs.net private member

Tv Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    There are different degrees of wrong IMO.

I have IPTV now, and had a dodgy sky box with card sharing for years until that went tits up.

The worry of not having a TV licence does not even register with me, but i suppose i have no real morals on this subject, and if i am perfectly honest, it makes not one jot of difference what anyone says about it, when putting the other side of the argument forward.
    It's £12.12p per month ! To do the right thing...would be less of everyone paid

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post

Yes of course, but simply not buying a TV licence does not mean you are stealing. I have a TV licence and always have.
    I also pay a considerable amount each month to Virgin for my TV package as I would not use a dodgy box. However there are people who legitimately have no need for a licence.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibby; 05-10-2017 at 08:29 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Yes of course, but simply not buying a TV licence does not mean you are stealing. I have a TV licence and always have.
    I also pay a considerable amount each month to Virgin for my TV package as I would not use a dodgy box. However there are people who legitimately have no need for a licence.
    Not sure it's "stealing". But it's a criminal offence so I guess all we are debating is the label

[QUOTE=danhibees1875;5185027]Nonsense.

What is nonsense about it? The BBC was blatently biased during the Scottish and Brexit referendums. And, since they didn't get their way with Brexit, have been biased ever since. And those are just two examples. They lie and edit what they show / don't show to support their stance regularly. If they want a licence fee then they should at least be a neutral news source. And if someone doesn't watch the BBC then not paying is not stealing anything.

Nonsense.

I think it's more far fetched to say they aren't using any BBC services. Although watching live content from other providers does also require you to have the license (open to be proved wrong on that one though) - so your still breaking the law regardless.

Owning the TV license gives you the right to use certain services, using those services and not paying for them is stealing. I'd be fairly confident that those services are being consumed in pretty much every case of someone owning a TV.
    https://www.gov.uk/tv-licence

Overview
    You must have a TV Licence if you:

watch or record programmes on a TV, computer or other device as they’re broadcast
    download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand
    A TV Licence costs £147 (£49.50 for black and white TV sets) for both homes and businesses.

What’s covered

A single TV Licence covers all of the following in a single property:

TV sets
    computers
    laptops
    tablets
    mobile phones
    any other device that can receive a TV signal

You don’t need a TV Licence to watch:

non-BBC programmes on online catch-up services
    videos or DVDs
    clips on websites like YouTube
    closed circuit television (CCTV)

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Thanks. So you need one to watch any channel as they show their programming (I.e not on catch up).

[QUOTE=What_the_deuce;5185048]
    Nonsense.

What is nonsense about it? The BBC was blatently biased during the Scottish and Brexit referendums. And, since they didn't get their way with Brexit, have been biased ever since. And those are just two examples. They lie and edit what they show / don't show to support their stance regularly. If they want a licence fee then they should at least be a neutral news source. And if someone doesn't watch the BBC then not paying is not stealing anything.
    I know of one instance where there was some questionable editing over a response Salmond gave to a question. I've not really seen much other outcry about bias with evidence - feel free to pass any on.

I find BBC to be a pretty decent news source all things considered. But I tend to use BBC for a lot of their other programming anyway.

Even if it was bias, I don't think stealing from them is a measured response.
    Mon the Hibs.

Regarding the BBC bias: I can't see how it wasn't clear that they wanted a No vote during the Scottish referendum. I was for No and even I could see they way they were behaving. And just the way they treated anyone pro-Brexit was also clearly showing favouritism in my and many people's opinions.

Regarding the stealing, I clearly said that if someone didn't watch BBC TV channels then not paying the licence fee is not stealing because they are not taking anything.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    I love public service broadcasting and think the BBC output is excellent in comparison to commercial TV. I watch very little TV these days, but I'm happy to support the Beeb. How it should be funded is a fair question, as the licence fee is expensive for the poorest; however, it can't be done via general taxation, as the government of the day would then impinge upon its independence and could hold the BBC to ransom.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by What_the_deuce View Post
    Regarding the BBC bias: I can't see how it wasn't clear that they wanted a No vote during the Scottish referendum. I was for No and even I could see they way they were behaving. And just the way they treated anyone pro-Brexit was also clearly showing favouritism in my and many people's opinions.

Regarding the stealing, I clearly said that if someone didn't watch BBC TV channels then not paying the licence fee is not stealing because they are not taking anything.
    Fair enough, maybe they were. I didn't pay enough attention to the direction of the BBC coverage of either referendum to notice perhaps.

As someone else posted above. Watching non-bbc channels without the license still isn't allowed.

I also think it's the access/ability to view rather than use that you pay for. Someone can't just claim to skip past the BBC programming (even then my first point would apply) while they watch TV.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by What_the_deuce View Post

That's incorrect.

You need a license to watch any TV channel.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    That's incorrect.

Live yes but on catchup you can watch non-beeb without.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    That's incorrect.

Well, if the licence fee is just used to fund the BBC, then, if someone doesn't want to watch the BBC, it seems as though the licence fee collectors are the ones doing the stealing. Other broadcasters have to earn money through advertising and / or billing directly for their services. And, as an example, Sky won't insist on payment (under threat of a fine) if I don't sign up to Sky and use their services. That's supply and demand resulting in earnings. What the BBC are effectively doing is supplying something regardless of demand and enforcing payment even if someone is only interested in using other broadcasters.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    It's worth if just for BBC I player .
    Excellent service.

Just downloaded loads of documentaries onto my iPad last night.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Was there not a time you needed a radio license, whether you listened to Derek Jamieson or not?

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Was there not a time you needed a radio license, whether you listened to Derek Jamieson or not?
    A radio licence was required till 1971 unless you had a TV licence.

Derek Jameson joined Radio 2 in 1985.

So to answer your question, if you were listening to Derek Jameson you didn't need a licence, and if you weren't listening to him you might have needed one.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by lapsedhibee; 05-10-2017 at 08:23 PM.

First Team Breakthrough Hibbycol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    Debating whether or not to buy the TV license, wondering what other folks’ thoughts are on the whole thing?
    Have you got a radio in your abode ?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ELHACHE
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbycol View Post
    Have you got a radio in your abode ?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Yes.

I use my phone to listen to the radio however.