hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Neil Oliver petition removed from 38 degrees

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1...ition_remains/
    You can have a petition to get rid of Her Majesty .... but not Neil Oliver (according to 38 degrees).

2. Log in to remove the advert

I always find stuff like this a bit depressing. The political discourse in Scotland isn’t much better than that in America IMHO. Complete intolerance of opposing views, smears and inevitable hounding of individuals who express an opinion.

Why is having an opinion on another referendum a blocker to being a president of an organisation tasked to protecting Scotland’s heritage anyway? It’s almost like someone trawled through his background looking for something/anything that they could start a campaign around.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I always find stuff like this a bit depressing. The political discourse in Scotland isnít much better than that in America IMHO. Complete intolerance of opposing views, smears and inevitable hounding of individuals who express an opinion.

Why is having an opinion on another referendum a blocker to being a president of an organisation tasked to protecting Scotlandís heritage anyway? Itís almost like someone trawled through his background looking for something/anything that they could start a campaign around.

Unless I've missed something. Holding a political view and so people with opposite views want you removed from a job completely unrelated to politics... ridiculous and nasty, and quite rightly removed.

There isn't even a comparison to the queen petition either - having a monarchy or not is a decision in itself and so there are merits to debate it. Not that some online petition on a website would hold much weight in the argument.
    Mon the Hibs.

Testimonial Due
    Seems quite a Stalinist approach to political discourse.

Blog Entries
    I always find stuff like this a bit depressing. The political discourse in Scotland isn’t much better than that in America IMHO. Complete intolerance of opposing views, smears and inevitable hounding of individuals who express an opinion.

Why is having an opinion on another referendum a blocker to being a president of an organisation tasked to protecting Scotland’s heritage anyway? It’s almost like someone trawled through his background looking for something/anything that they could start a campaign around.
    If I can use the playground expression, "Well, he started it!"

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    I always find stuff like this a bit depressing. The political discourse in Scotland isnít much better than that in America IMHO. Complete intolerance of opposing views, smears and inevitable hounding of individuals who express an opinion.

Why is having an opinion on another referendum a blocker to being a president of an organisation tasked to protecting Scotlandís heritage anyway? Itís almost like someone trawled through his background looking for something/anything that they could start a campaign around.
    I think it's a bit more than opposing views. If he did claim that the highland clearances were voluntary emigration, then he's lost any credibility as a historian, even if he is an archaeologist.

@hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I think it's a bit more than opposing views. If he did claim that the highland clearances were voluntary emigration, then he's lost any credibility as a historian, even if he is an archaeologist.
    His comments about a second Indyref being a "cancerous presence", might not have helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    That’s not mentioned in the Herald link. He’s got stupid hair for a grown man imho and is a smug git but I don’t think it affects his work.

@hibs.net private member Sergio sledge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    His comments about a second Indyref being a "cancerous presence", might not have helped.
    What has that got to do with a potential role in the National Trust for Scotland?

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio sledge View Post
    What has that got to do with a potential role in the National Trust for Scotland?
    Presumably it's because it has Scotland in the organisation title and by, opposing independence, he's shown that he absolutely hates Scotland. Or something.

Presumably it's because it has Scotland in the organisation title and by, opposing independence, he's shown that he absolutely hates Scotland. Or something.
    The original petition had a something along the lines of 'he doesn't have Scotland best interest at heart' in the narrative.

Firstly I'd suggest that's a claim that can be challenged. Believing Scotland is best served by remaining in the UK is a valid position to take in the eyes of anyone with a sense of how debate works, although I accept that the rabid hordes on either side don't always accept anything other than their own viewpoint. Secondly the position he has been appointed to is apolitical and his beliefs around independence have zero impact on his ability to perform that role properly. I'm not a fan of Neil Oliver's style and have said so on numerous occasions but he's undoubtedly passionate about Scottish history, Scotland's wild spaces, Scottish ethnology and conservation and the promotion of history as a whole. All attributes that make him very much suited to the role he has taken on.

I really wish the petition had been left though. Removing it has just given the 'it's a conspiracy' brigade something else to complain about.
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

Well, arguably anyone that outspoken (on either side of the debate) is not going to be a very unifying figurehead. But that's up to the NTS. He seems to be a bit of a fanny and the hair is lamentable. It's amazing the things that will inspire some folk to fire off a petition though.

Some civic nationalists seem to be just as intolerant of those with opposing views as those good old fashioned horrible Nationalists were.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Absolutely nuttin.

I'd have thought the NTS would have looked for a unifying character instead of one with clear political views.

I'm sure he'll do well in post though.😅

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    With a bit of luck his role with the national trust will limit his tv appearances.
    [SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    With a bit of luck his role with the national trust will limit his tv appearances.
    If the National Trust can insist that he cuts his hair, Iíll happily donate £10 a month to them.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    If the National Trust can insist that he cuts his hair, Iíll happily donate £10 a month to them.
    Itís probably a wig.
    [SIGPIC]

Testimonial Due
    Never in my life have i heard anyone, ever, express any opinion on the board of the NTS, either positive or negative.

Until some sad cybernat choob who cannot countenance someone with a different opinion, and now everyone has a view on who, or what makes someone qualified to be on the board.

Geez peace.

I wonder if some would consider a unifying figure to be of such importance had someone like Alex Salmond been appointed to the post
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

Ireland's Greatest Import Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I wonder if some would consider a unifying figure to be of such importance had someone like Alex Salmond been appointed to the post
    **** that he's a yam. Robbie the Pict all the way

Absolutely nuttin.

I'd have thought the NTS would have looked for a unifying character instead of one with clear political views.

Why? Does his political view stop him for carrying out that role? And Itís a fair bet that most people in Scotland will have an opinion one way or the other in the independence debate, does that also stop any of them performing this role?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    **** that he's a yam. Robbie the Pict all the way
    Not sure you can put a Pict in charge. Bit divisive to the Gaels and Norse peoples of Scotland.

Only one man for it, send for McGlashan.

'Murdo, Murdo.....Murdo, Murdo'

Absolutely nuttin.

If only someone could bind the notoriously divided political factions of the NTS together. I'm not so sure it can be done.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Blog Entries
    If the National Trust can insist that he cuts his job, I'll happily donate £10 a month to them.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Why? Does his political view stop him for carrying out that role? And Itís a fair bet that most people in Scotland will have an opinion one way or the other in the independence debate, does that also stop any of them performing this role?
    Dont be daft.

Everyone knows that Scotland can never move on or fulfill our potential until the National Trust unifies us as a nation.

I for one wont sleep until such division is removed from the key role at this institution that goes to the very heart of scottish society.

Its a national scandal.

I don't know. He's not carried out the role yet. Fwiw, I couldn't care less if they gave the job to Theresa May, they've clearly given some thought into his appointment and are happy with their man.

Only they will know how it pans out, but I'm sure he'll enjoy himself in the role.

He might even get another bbc programme out of it. 😉

Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    Dont be daft.

Everyone knows that Scotland can never move on or fulfill our potential until the National Trust unifies us as a nation.

I for one wont sleep until such division is removed from the key role at this institution that goes to the very heart of scottish society.

Its a national scandal.

I don't know. He's not carried out the role yet. Fwiw, I couldn't care less if they gave the job to Theresa May, they've clearly given some thought into his appointment and are happy with their man.

Only they will know how it pans out, but I'm sure he'll enjoy himself in the role.

He might even get another bbc programme out of it. 😉
    so why make the comment you did? If Iíve misunderstood a sarcastic comment, apologies

so why make the comment you did? If Iíve misunderstood a sarcastic comment, apologies
    My comment, above, was in reference to him making the claim that a second indyref was a "cancerous presence". I would have thought any "Charity", would have thought long and hard before appointing "anyone" with those views. They always have knock on effects.

Each to their own though, and they've got their man.

It's been nice, watching so many admins have their 5 minutes of playtime though.

My comment, above, was in reference to him making the claim that a second indyref was a "cancerous presence". I would have thought any "Charity", would have thought long and hard before appointing "anyone" with those views. They always have knock on effects.

Each to their own though, and they've got their man.

It's been nice, watching so many admins have their 5 minutes of playtime though.

Admins?

I agree that that comment in a debate that is so emotive doesnít bring any positive pr (regardless of which side of this anyone comes down on, its quite a horrible thing to say).

It's an interesting concept(not expressed on here I hasten to add)that someone who represents majority opinion on independence is not suitable to hold a prominent position on a Scottish charity.I don't remember dyed in the wool unionists kicking up a fuss when Alan Cumming was appointed Ambassador to the NTS and I'm sure he'll do a good job in the States promoting NTS.