hibs.net Messageboard

Player ratings Hibs v Aberdeen

Laidlaw .... 7 ..... It would have been a good save if he had managed to stop the Aberdeen goal, but that little prick had a good run in on him and time to compose himself. His kicking was a bit suspect, but he had obviously been told to aim for Whittaker who was out wide and you cant blame him for over hitting it a few times, commanded his area pretty well though.

Whittaker .... 6 .... Had a good first half, but seemed to run out of steam a wee bit in the last 20 minutes.

Hanlon ....... 9 ..... A very good game and some of his covering play was excellent when they tried to break up the park.

Ambrose ..... 7 ... Did little wrong really, he was pretty solid but as usual just couldn't resist a couple of wee cameos of his own.

Stevenson ... 6 .... His booking was the result of a shocking pass which put him in a bad position, apart from that he did ok but could have been better on the ball at times ... a great crunching tackle in the 2nd half.

Bartley .... 6 .... Had a decent game and did what he does well for the most part.

McGeouch ... 6 .... Tried his best to keep us going forward, a wee bit loose with his passing at times, l wish he would take on a shot more often because a couple of times he elected to pass when he could have went for it.

McGinn .... 7 ..... For me at times he was too deep lying, stood up well to some cynical tackles and was unfortunate to be booked for what was a great tackle, certainly the pick of our midfield though.

Slivka .... 6 .... Just makes it to a 6 really, I would like to see him take a grip of the game a bit more, perhaps central midfield would suit him better, came close to scoring but I would like to see him more involved.

Boyle ... 6 .... Was well marshalled by the Aberdeen defence and found it hard to get into the game, but as usual never stopped trying ... perhaps didn't make the most of it when he did get into good positions.

Stokes .... 6 ... Don't have a great deal of impact, but he didn't get brilliant service either so he's not entirely to blame.

Subs:

Barker .... 4 .... Did his best to make an impact and had a couple of decent runs, at one point he clearly jibbed a 50/50 challenge which didn't impress me much.

Swanson ... 5 .... Probably more effective than Barker was and we looked more dangerous after he came on, was unlucky a few times not to get the break of the ball in their box after good play .... but Danny Danny Danny, what the hell was that shocking ball into the box from a great position in the last minute all about?

Murray ... 3 .... Little time to make an impact, probably should have been on 10 minutes earlier.

It certainly wasn't a poor performance from Hibs and we dominated a good bit of the 2nd half, nobody had a bad game and everybody gave 100% ..... But we simply have to find a way to make the most of our possession in the final third, it was too easy for Aberdeen to pack their box and our lack of height up front means we wont win many crosses or corners into the opposition box, in which case we have to be more savvy with what we do with the ball.

A couple of final points:

We got low crosses into their near post at least twice during the game, but nobody had made a run to that area, its something we fail to do on a regular basis and yet its probably on page one chapter one of any forwards coaching manual ... the two times I can recall us doing it this season Stokes scored at Dundee and Murray came close against Motherwell.

I've said it before, but why oh why will we not put a guy about 15 yards out from the byline in the area between the 18 yard box and the touchline at corners .... if I have to watch one more overhit corner go for a by kick or throw in because we didn't have a player in that area I'll tear my f'ing hair out. It just seems so obvious to me that you should do that.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Like the last paragraph in your post.
    Does my box in as well.

Boyle was murder yday mcgeough drove the team on at times but his passing let him down at that vital stage. Agree with hanlon he was outstanding

Big Marv a 6 really?? 7/8 for me outstanding time and time again at breaking up the play... the reaction from the fans when he was subbed said it all...
    Last edited by smithy_hibees; 15-10-2017 at 09:22 AM.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    I didn’t think there was much wrong with Laidlaw kicking to be honest. I think only one made touch directly and only just. The fact that we couldn’t get on the end of them before they bounced out isn’t really his fault.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn’t think there was much wrong with Laidlaw kicking to be honest. I think only one made touch directly and only just. The fact that we couldn’t get on the end of them before they bounced out isn’t really his fault.
    Laidlaw was good yesterday
    Commanded his box well.. kicking the ball to our front 3 of stokes Boyle Dylan was never going work but he has kick it somewhere so definitely not his fault

Quote Originally Posted by smithy_hibees View Post
    Laidlaw was good yesterday
    Commanded his box well.. kicking the ball to our front 3 of stokes Boyle Dylan was never going work but he has kick it somewhere so definitely not his fault
    I think Slivka right and Whittaker left were the targets.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    He had 3 on the trot in the first half trying to reach Slivka and they were just too wide - allowed Shinnie to let them go for a throw. He changed his angles a bit and Slivka managed to get on the end of a few after that.

Laidlaw 7 commanded his box well nothing he can do with the goal really.

Whittaker 6 nothing spectacularly good or bad.
    Ambrose 7 played well seems a lot more focused and in tune the last few games.
    Hanlon 8 MotM and deservedly so however gets dragged into midfield for the goal leaving a huge gap for the pass.
    Stevenson 6 booked early seemed to effect him for a while, sleeping for the goal.

Bartley 6 had his usual couple of interceptions and hard tackles, not a good enough option when on the ball though never goes to takenir from the centre halfs.

McGinn 7 quite a quiet game for John a few good runs, kicked and halfed out the game by the dons.
    McGeouch 5 wasted that far forward can’t influence the game needs to be deep taking the ball from centre halfs and starting moves.
    Slivka 6. Tried hard unlucky to hit the post, not a right winger.
    Boyle 5. Totally ineffective on the left a little bit better on the right. He said pretty much stuck when up against a Fb of similar pace, needs to be smarter.

Stokes 6. Struggled to get into the game and never a line striker needs support

Subs: felt all theee subs had an impact but all should’ve been on between 60-70 mins. I’d give them all 5/6 for there cameos

Laidlaw 6

whittaker 5
    Ambrose 7
    Hanlon 8
    Stevenson 5

Bartley 6
    McGeouch 5
    McGinn 7
    Slivka 6
    Boyle 5

Stokes 5

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Laidlaw- effective and pretty commanding. Some poor kicking, but overall very competent-7
    Whittaker- He was good on the ball, as stated already, faded a bit towards the end-6.5
    Stevenson- I thought he had a good tussle with the weasal faced riverdancer-6
    Hanlon- Very competent and assured-8.5
    Ambrose- Unruffled and read the game well. Loved the nutmeg-8
    Slivka- He was lost at times- weakest of the midfield-5
    McGeouch- Didn't get forward enough. Lacked drive-5.5
    Bartley- Strong and worked hard. Did his job well enough 7
    McGinn- Constantly fouled by the Sheep. Looked a class apart at times- 8
    Boyle- No change from Logan. Should have done better on the one on one's -5.5
    Stokes-Thankless task up front on his own. Very little service-6

Subs: Swanson pepped the team up and should have been on earlier. Barker didn't do much, should have been more direct when he had the ball. Murray had no time to make an impression.

Lennon- tactics never worked I'm afraid. Too slow to make changes- 6

Aberdeen- they looked a quality side in the first half. Much slicker on the ball and benefitted from having two forwards up front. Logan is a very good player, but he was a dirty bassa. Rooney fouled constantly, jumping into Hanlon for every challenge and should have been sorted by the ref. Hibs bettered them in the second half though, despite our tactics and having some players off form

Stevenson and Boyle - 4
    Hanlon and Bartley - 8
    Everyone else that started - 6.

Slivka for me is lost in that team. Don't see what he brings to the table. Would much rather a swanson or Murray playing. Barker as well, spotted this early doors he doesn't do 50-50s. Lennon said himself 1-9 points at home, needs improving quickly.

I actually thought Slivka was good yesterday. Quick feet in tight situations and rarely misplaces a pass.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alihibs1 View Post
    I actually thought Slivka was good yesterday. Quick feet in tight situations and rarely misplaces a pass.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I’d like to see him in his natural position, seemingly a box to box midfielder who scores goals
    Where position has he been playing with Lithuania?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    I’d like to see him in his natural position, seemingly a box to box midfielder who scores goals
    Where position has he been playing with Lithuania?
    Right mid

I think Slivka right and Whittaker left were the targets.
    Both were playing on the right though

Quote Originally Posted by Conj View Post
    Both were playing on the right though
    You’re right. My bad. That will explain most kicking right.😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    He had 3 on the trot in the first half trying to reach Slivka and they were just too wide - allowed Shinnie to let them go for a throw. He changed his angles a bit and Slivka managed to get on the end of a few after that.
    The point I was making they never went straight into touch. The player on the end was close enough but rarely got them. More they were eased off the ball physically rather than a poor kick.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    The point I was making they never went straight into touch. The player on the end was close enough but rarely got them. More they were eased off the ball physically rather than a poor kick.
    Sorry to correct you but two of the three when straight out. One bounced and Slivka missed it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk