hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaun Woodburn

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure you are correct there mate. Read up on the Arlene Fraser case for a witness turning Queens evidence mid-trial.
    You are right. Don't ask me for legal advice ! 😁

2. Log in to remove the advert

Poor Danny. Hope he finds some peace soon. I'm sure the Hibs support will get behind him when needed.

Left by mutual consent!
    Wouldn't want to be in his place just now. No wonder his form dropped after NewYear.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    That would have happened pre trial I would have thought. They can't simply sort him a deal and add him to the witnesses, defence wouldn't have time to prepare.
    Sounds like they simply don't have a strong enough case against this one guy.
    It's unlikeky that all three youths killed Shaun. By eliminating one who may have taken part in the general rammy in the street but was unlikely to have struck the killer blow, they de facto close in on the more likely culprits.

Taking part in a street brawl is stupid and dangerous but it's very common to a lot of young men. It's also far from murder.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    It's unlikeky that all three youths killed Shaun. By eliminating one who may have taken part in the general rammy in the street but was unlikely to have struck the killer blow, they de facto close in on the more likely culprits.

Taking part in a street brawl is stupid and dangerous but it's very common to a lot of young men. It's also far from murder.
    Yep. Surprised this ended up with murder charges. Reads very much like a fight that involved a tragic consequence but not murder.

A lawyer doing his job of course but Danny being accused of discrepancies in his evidence and suffering from selective amnesia!

First Team Breakthrough
    Its a horrible thing to have happened but to be a witness in court is a hard thing mentally to deal and overcome. Stay strong Danny for the family and yours.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gogsy23 View Post
    Its a horrible thing to have happened but to be a witness in court is a hard thing mentally to deal and overcome. Stay strong Danny for the family and yours.
    Yes being cross examined and put through the mill by the defence in court is not a nice place to be especially as they are experts at analysing your statements and building doubt as to your credibility. Extra tough when you are recalling events that lead to the death of your close friend and bringing back the memories of what you have witnessed but would rather forget. A difficult time for Danny without doubt.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    On the bench today. All the best Danny.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Yep. Surprised this ended up with murder charges. Reads very much like a fight that involved a tragic consequence but not murder.

A lawyer doing his job of course but Danny being accused of discrepancies in his evidence and suffering from selective amnesia!
    Looks like they have to determine whether it was that or whether, within that, one or two evil little barstewards took it to another level.

As most people know, the difference between a drunken street brawl and then somebody vicously booting or stomping on a decked party is massive.

First Team Breakthrough hibsmum's Avatar
    Danny and the rest of his family had to give evidence this week and hopefully it gets justice for Shaun

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-fife-41602271

A teenager has been convicted of culpable homicide following the death of a man in Edinburgh on New Year's Day.Shaun Woodburn, 30, died after he was attacked outside Gladstone's pub in Leith earlier this year.

The 17-year-old and a friend had earlier carried out assaults on other members of the public in Edinburgh.

toss the key away, pieces of ***** that they are

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post

A teenager has been convicted of culpable homicide following the death of a man in Edinburgh on New Year's Day.Shaun Woodburn, 30, died after he was attacked outside Gladstone's pub in Leith earlier this year.

The 17-year-old and a friend had earlier carried out assaults on other members of the public in Edinburgh.

It’s an absolute disgrace that booting someone on the head whilst they lay unconscious on the ground is not deemed murder!! Absolute ****!!

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post

Agreed just a pity after such a campaign of violence they weren't apprehended earlier before they reached Leith.

Hopefully Danny can begin to move on now, poor guy

Left by mutual consent!
    Good news, was starting to get worried the **** would get off with it. Hopefully some peace can be had for everyone involved. Hope the **** rot.

The courts and law in this country are beyond a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by macca70 View Post
    It’s an absolute disgrace that booting someone on the head whilst they lay unconscious on the ground is not deemed murder!! Absolute ****!!
    Especially when it's pre meditate ,deliberate, unprovoked and not an isolated serious incident
    I'm not sure what could be more murderous than this. If he's not locked away for the rest of his life he will just kill some another innocent person or people

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Agreed just a pity after such a campaign of violence they weren't apprehended earlier before they reached Leith.
    Cops too busy doing selfies with tourists uptown no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonhibbee View Post
    Especially when it's pre meditate ,deliberate, unprovoked and not an isolated serious incident
    I'm not sure what could be more murderous than this. If he's not locked away for the rest of his life he will just kill some another innocent person or people
    It's partly one of the consequences of using juries - if the prosecution were worried at all about the possibility of a not guilty verdict (especially if there was no CCTV evidence) then they may have preferred to accept the lesser verdict as being a better option that the jury finding him not guilty.....

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    It's partly one of the consequences of using juries - if the prosecution were worried at all about the possibility of a not guilty verdict (especially if there was no CCTV evidence) then they may have preferred to accept the lesser verdict as being a better option that the jury finding him not guilty.....
    Having recently served on a jury in a murder trial, I hope I'm never up in front of one. One women actually said as soon as we went in for deliberation "can we just vote now I'm not wanting to come back tomorrow " half of the time she was falling asleep and the court had to be stopped a few times because of her. Others think they are on csi and make stuff up. There really should be a minimum IQ requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by macca70 View Post
    Totally agree. Disgrace.

Can only hope he still gets a substantial sentence.

Coaching Staff
    Nah, there is a difference between planning on and intending to kill someone and it happening as a consequence of a fight, albeit one that the youngsters seemed intent on causing wherever they went that night.

it seems the lads in the pub came out with pool cues and things so they played their part in it getting to the stage it did. Tragic all round but I think the verdict is the right one in the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Nah, there is a difference between planning on and intending to kill someone and it happening as a consequence of a fight, albeit one that the youngsters seemed intent on causing wherever they went that night.

it seems the lads in the pub came out with pool cues and things so they played their part in it getting to the stage it did. Tragic all round but I think the verdict is the right one in the circumstances.
    Seems crystal clear to me he was out to kill someone - anyone. For whatever reason. He's a danger to society

Culpabile Homicide. Good old Scotland. The only country in the world that lets murderers off with life if they say they didnae mean it.

Seems crystal clear to me he was out to kill someone - anyone. For whatever reason. He's a danger to society
    It's hard to prove that legally though.

For a murder conviction there has to be evidence and proof beyond reasonable doubt that the lad in questions intention that night was to kill someone. It may be that the emotive nature of the case could see a jury convinced but, much as I don't like it, it leaves the conviction wide open to appeal. Culpable homicide (I assume it's been deemed voluntary under Scots Law) goes some way to ensuring a guilty verdict and keeps a hefty sentence on the table up to and including life imprisonment.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

He will get 8 years maximum which gets cut to 4 and then also eligible to home visits after 2

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillsidehibby View Post
    Culpabile Homicide. Good old Scotland. The only country in the world that lets murderers off with life if they say they didnae mean it.
    Not really. Most countries have equivalents. Proper murder needs to be premeditated. Not just intention to go out and cause some bother and injury, but intention to murder someone.

This verdict agrees that by his actions he caused someone to be killed. That sounds to me what I was expecting from what I had read.

To be honest I don't think erse holes like him contemplate the consequences of their actions. No doubt he was out to cause trouble and bully/assault people but saying he went out with the intention of killing someone is hard to prove.

Quote Originally Posted by leither17 View Post
    He will get 8 years maximum which gets cut to 4 and then also eligible to home visits after 2
    Can't see it.

Given the other convictions along with this one he's looking at 16 years plus imo.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I've been following this case online. So very sad. Whilst glad to know he got convicted, how did his friends get off despite them involved with 5 other punch ups that same night. Horrific individuals.