hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Official Site: WORKING TOGETHER MEETING TONIGHT

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by RSS Bot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This could be a controversial post:

I always look at Sevco, and laugh at their celebrations on armed forces day....

I see this is on the agenda Tonight, is this something we should be getting involved in, or is it just me who is bemused? (No smart retorts please)
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post

I see this is on the agenda Tonight, is this something we should be getting involved in, or is it just me who is bemused? (No smart retorts please)
    I think we've been involved now for about the last 5 plus years. I don't think we've made a fuss but on top of regular tickets for members of the Forces once a year there's a bit of a push around Armistice Day.
    Space to let

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I think we've been involved now for about the last 5 plus years. I don't think we've made a fuss but on top of regular tickets for members of the Forces once a year there's a bit of a push around Armistice Day.
    That's great then Jack, thanks for clearing that up.

I had visions of a day like they have at Rangers.
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Absolutely something we should not be involved in.
    Leave the jingoistic nationalistic nonsense for the huns to revel in.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    If done discretely I'm all for it.

We've done something for the past few seasons and it's been nothing like that. Obviously, because you haven't even noticed what the club has done.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Can't really see anything other than the existing arrangement continuing. There is surely no appetite from the fanbase to see the club embrace Armed Forces Day by turning Easter Road into a circus like Ibrox.
    Have servicemen/ex servicemen as guests of the club and observe the minutes silence on Armistice Day and keep it dignified.
    Last edited by Carheenlea; 25-09-2017 at 09:13 PM.

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar

It is definitely just the Remembrance Day stuff we have done for the last few years baldy. In previous years we have hosted a number of the residents from the Erskine home in Edinburgh in the hospitality boxes in the famous 5 stand. Unfortunately with the closure of BTG that won't be available so the agenda item was simply to see what might be available as an alternative.

@hibs.net private member
    As a veteran of 22 years in the Royal Navy, I'm all for it. However it has to be NOTHING LIKE THE HUNS DO. I wear my colours and support my team with pride and am proud of what I achieved within the Armed Forces and believe that the powers that be at Ibrox do it to further enhance their own agendas and not for recognition of servicemen and women.

I was on HMS Cardiff and HMS Nottingham that came into Leith around 1995 /97 respectively and I wrote to Hibs to say we were coming in and chances my luck asking for tickets for the boys onboard both times Hibs obliged and gave the ship ( I believe about 25 / 35 tickets each time ).

We watched Hibs v Rangers and Hibs V our pink neighbours and had a great day out was treated like royalty and I can tell you that the boys on the ship who went were absolutely gob smacked that a Scottish team treated them with so much respect and honour that they boys I met later on in my career still spoke fondly about looking out for the Hibs results.

I'm not exactly sure if Hibs still give so many free season tickets ( I might be wrong but sure someone who knows can rectify me ) to the soldiers up in Redford Barracks. Only reason I think this happened was because in my correspondence to Hibs trying to get freebies for the ship they mentioned they gave season tickets to them. Disclaimer I might be wrong as it was 20 odd year ago.

So to cut a long story short Hibs have as far as I am concerned always held the military in the highest of esteem and long may it continue.

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by southern hibby View Post
    As a veteran of 22 years in the Royal Navy, I'm all for it. However it has to be NOTHING LIKE THE HUNS DO. I wear my colours and support my team with pride and am proud of what I achieved within the Armed Forces and believe that the powers that be at Ibrox do it to further enhance their own agendas and not for recognition of servicemen and women.

I was on HMS Cardiff and HMS Nottingham that came into Leith around 1995 /97 respectively and I wrote to Hibs to say we were coming in and chances my luck asking for tickets for the boys onboard both times Hibs obliged and gave the ship ( I believe about 25 / 35 tickets each time ).

We watched Hibs v Rangers and Hibs V our pink neighbours and had a great day out was treated like royalty and I can tell you that the boys on the ship who went were absolutely gob smacked that a Scottish team treated them with so much respect and honour that they boys I met later on in my career still spoke fondly about looking out for the Hibs results.

I'm not exactly sure if Hibs still give so many free season tickets ( I might be wrong but sure someone who knows can rectify me ) to the soldiers up in Redford Barracks. Only reason I think this happened was because in my correspondence to Hibs trying to get freebies for the ship they mentioned they gave season tickets to them. Disclaimer I might be wrong as it was 20 odd year ago.

So to cut a long story short Hibs have as far as I am concerned always held the military in the highest of esteem and long may it continue.

GGTTH
    I can't see any reason to be giving away free season tickets to able bodied people, perfectly able to pay, hopefully this is not something that still goes on.

@hibs.net private member
    I can't see any reason to be giving away free season tickets to able bodied people, perfectly able to pay, hopefully this is not something that still goes on.
    Really couldn't tell you but why not phone Hibs tomorrow and ask and if they say they do tell them your no happy.

GGTTH

They're not giving away season tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    If done discretely I'm all for it.
    Absolutely.

I think Hibs have it spot on when it comes to how we mark Armistice Day.

I think it's important that we play our part in commemorating this day in remembering those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice whilst serving this country but I wouldn't want us to become like Rangers where I feel that their Armed Forces events are very contrived and insincere.

Invite some Armed Forces personnel to the home game that falls closest to Armistice Day and mark the date with a minute's silence before kick off and I'll be happy.

Anything else that we do such as charity work etc should be done behind the scenes.

What’s your criteria? My old man has two and a half missing fingers after an industrial accident decades ago. Doesn’t stop him doing anything but if you’d consider him entitled to a free season ticket, I’m sure he’d be chuffed to bits.

Really strange how the development of forced appreciation of the armed forces and indeed the NHS staff has developed over the last 10 years or so.

The appropriate place is on Remembrance Day at the many war memorials in our towns and villages. People are not forced to enter these professions so why treat them differently to everyone else? They are not more worthy than you or I.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Absolutely.

I think Hibs have it spot on when it comes to how we mark Armistice Day.

I think it's important that we play our part in commemorating this day in remembering those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice whilst serving this country but I wouldn't want us to become like Rangers where I feel that their Armed Forces events are very contrived and insincere.

Invite some Armed Forces personnel to the home game that falls closest to Armistice Day and mark the date with a minute's silence before kick off and I'll be happy.

Anything else that we do such as charity work etc should be done behind the scenes.
    I agree with this in the way Hibs pay due respects for Armistice Day .....but if we still give away free seasons, sorry I don't, for the very fact about how do you differentiate about why armed services and not other services and thereafter where does that avenue end ...

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoasthibby View Post
    I agree with this in the way Hibs pay due respects for Armistice Day .....but if we still give away free seasons, sorry I don't, for the very fact about how do you differentiate about why armed services and not other services and thereafter where does that avenue end ...
    It is entirely at the clubs discretion what the club do oin this regard.
    We all choose to give to certain causes and not to others as individuals and part of an organisation. How do we differentiate? We just do.

Quote Originally Posted by itslegaltender View Post
    Really strange how the development of forced appreciation of the armed forces and indeed the NHS staff has developed over the last 10 years or so.

The appropriate place is on Remembrance Day at the many war memorials in our towns and villages. People are not forced to enter these professions so why treat them differently to everyone else? They are not more worthy than you or I.

Correct.

Personally I have never needed to be forced to appreciate them but each to their own.

Nobody is forced to do anything. If you think nurses etc are not worthy of your appreciation then you don't have to give them any.

I can understand appreciating NHS staff who carry out a job for the benefit of us all at some stage in our lives but I'm not aware of Hibs doing anything special to celebrate this recognition. Can anyone confirm this to be the case or not?

As for Forces recognition/appreciation, personal opinion is that this is not required in football circles. There are separate occasions for recognition to take place - i.e. Armistice Day - and it should be left at that imo.

Wars and conflicts that involve our armed forces are not started by football clubs. They are the product of government decisions and "celebrating" them is, in a way, condoning or agreeing that these decisions are in some way justified. I'll leave that thought with you all to ponder.

If those of you on here are happy to go along with the charade, fair enough, but bringing football into it is just not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    I can understand appreciating NHS staff who carry out a job for the benefit of us all at some stage in our lives but I'm not aware of Hibs doing anything special to celebrate this recognition. Can anyone confirm this to be the case or not?

As for Forces recognition/appreciation, personal opinion is that this is not required in football circles. There are separate occasions for recognition to take place - i.e. Armistice Day - and it should be left at that imo.

Wars and conflicts that involve our armed forces are not started by football clubs. They are the product of government decisions and "celebrating" them is, in a way, condoning or agreeing that these decisions are in some way justified. I'll leave that thought with you all to ponder.

If those of you on here are happy to go along with the charade, fair enough, but bringing football into it is just not necessary.

The wars and conflicts aren’t being ‘celebrated’ or anything else.

it is a recognition of those men and women who have laid their lives on the line. No one is forcing you to take part.
    Last edited by McD; 26-09-2017 at 12:26 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    As a public servant it grinds me that other public servants in the armed forces get such preferential treatment. If it is about the dangers they face on our behalf then why don't we invite the many trades that are far more dangerous than being in the armed forces. If it is about their service what about nurses or lollipop men or fire fighters. What about inviting the Glasgae Polis for a day at ER.

You only have to look at the way the military in America have hijacked American football to realise that the Armed Forces frequently have an agenda. Yes, Hibs are discrete about our business but I would far rather we treated armed force workers the same as other workers.

There seems to be some confusion in posts here about current armed forces personnel and remembering the fallen .I'm in favour of the latter but not in special treatment for the former.

Quote Originally Posted by RSS Bot View Post
    Was there anything else discussed?

Will we get an update on what was discussed ?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Don't have an issue if tastefully done. The Rangers ones are akin to the Nuremberg rallies.

Can we end the Remembrance discussion?

Was anything else discussed?

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Can we end the Remembrance discussion?

Was anything else discussed?
    Leeann and Rod attended and we spent 45 minutes discussing the EBT statement. My feeling was they won over most folk there as to their reasoning.

Some discussion on tickets and how it's only online. Some folk finding it very hard to get tickets. Some bits about the costs of Ticketmaster telephone calls. There are a couple of groups producing stuff- fans leaflet and hibs themed gear.

They are looking for volunteers to help commentate on games for the new audio system for visually impaired. Also need helpers to get wheelchair users into ground. Contact Frank or Tracey if you can help.

People at the meeting are told not to post stuff online so probably leave it there. Second meeting I've been to and each time I've come away really impressed at how well the club is run. All supporters are welcome and you get inside info as to what's happening.