hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Be amazing to beat them on their home turf! Doubt we will though sadly!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Under no circumstances play Whittaker at left back. Not just for this game, but ever.

First Team Regular ArmadaleHibs's Avatar
    Hope that their excursions against anderlecht have tired them out for our game

Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People are so offended if lewis doesn't make other's starting line up . Don't take it to heart.

my tip would be shoot from sight and don't let Gordon play from he back, he is prone to the odd howler whether its with his hands or feet.

I'm not taking it to heart just baffled at some peoples thinking re players in positions.

Not a bad shout re Gordon, I'd want us to be very strict and keep our shape, be in their faces and give them little time to play their natural game, if we sit back we'll get overran and could get a hiding, be positive and have self belief. They're good but not that good we have to be scared of them, we have some very good players too, lets concentrate on that also.

Testimonial Due

Post How do we stop Celtic ?

How do you stop Celtic? The rest of scottish football has tried and failed, this will be our first meeting with them for a few years. Not sure what our last few results against them have been? If someone handy with stats could find that one out. Hibees the team to end the run? If not this weekend then the semi! I don't think they are anything special, however the rest of the league seem to accept defeat before a ball is kicked.

What should the set up of the team be at parkhead? we won't see too much of the ball. The biggest concern i have is the Whittaker/Ambrose combination up against Sinclair/Griffiths/Dembele etc. Midfield is going to be vital.

................Laidlaw....................

Whittaker.... Ambrose.... Hanlon....Stevenson
    Mcgeough..Bartley
    Boyle.....Mcginn....Stokes
    .......Murray.....

That would be my team, however we will need Stokes to run his arse off and help out defensively especially as celtics main threat will come down the wings.

Hopefully we can catch them cold and after a spanking in europe

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Ask Neil Lennon to read the 5 pager thread about six rows down from this one

We've actually got a pretty decent record against them, relatively speaking.

Since we got back to the top league following our previous stint in the First Division in 98/99, we have managed to get at least a draw in at least one of our matches against them in all but two seasons since then.

First Team Regular Salt N Sauzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    We've actually got a pretty decent record against them, relatively speaking.

Since we got back to the top league following our previous stint in the First Division in 98/99, we have managed to get at least a draw in at least one of our matches against them in all but two seasons since then.
    Not what I'd call decent

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Don't give Scott Brown any space or freedom and utilise the pace in the squad for counter attacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Salt N Sauzee View Post
    Not what I'd call decent
    It's a pretty low bar.

Kidnap the Celtc squad the night before the game.

Coaching Staff
    Already a thread on this.

This is our biggest game of the season. Hearts aren't our rivals anymore. They are an irrelevant small club and we own Sevco. Actually I feel like a yam spouting Nish like that 🤣

If we have any chance of getting a result and I genuinely believe it's possible then we need Stokes to be on his game and we need him in the final 3rd where he has the quality to hurt Celtic, playing him wide left and expecting him to work his nuts off helping the left back will not benefit us or Stokes, it nulifies him from the off.

We're a fresh challenge for Celtic under Rodgers, a new opponent, we'll offer something of the unknown because while Celtic will have us well scouted we have been so erratic that if we turn up and everything clicks I feel we could spring a surprise, plus we actually have a very decent standard of player and a few very recent ex Celts who might have something to prove.

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?3...ou-beat-Celtic

Maybe some merging is needed, Admins!

Quote Originally Posted by RossScott1991 View Post
    How do you stop Celtic? The rest of scottish football has tried and failed, this will be our first meeting with them for a few years. Not sure what our last few results against them have been? If someone handy with stats could find that one out. Hibees the team to end the run? If not this weekend then the semi! I don't think they are anything special, however the rest of the league seem to accept defeat before a ball is kicked.

What should the set up of the team be at parkhead? we won't see too much of the ball. The biggest concern i have is the Whittaker/Ambrose combination up against Sinclair/Griffiths/Dembele etc. Midfield is going to be vital.

................Laidlaw....................

Whittaker.... Ambrose.... Hanlon....Stevenson
    Mcgeough..Bartley
    Boyle.....Mcginn....Stokes
    .......Murray.....

That would be my team, however we will need Stokes to run his arse off and help out defensively especially as celtics main threat will come down the wings.

Hopefully we can catch them cold and after a spanking in europe

If McGregor or fonts were fit I'd say 3-5-2 as you can match them with 3 in the middle and keep width. So it'll need to be 4-5-1.

Laidlaw

Whittaker Ambrose hanlon Stevenson
    Bartley
    Boyle McGinn Slivka McGeouch
    Stokes

Back 4 as per. Midfield which holds the key for me, would be Boyle Slivka Bartley McGinn Barker. I would expect the two wingers to stop Celtic full backs attacking, that's where a lot of the danger comes from. I would play Murray up front and hope that together with Boyle they could reignite the goal scoring form they showed early in the season. Their pace on the break would certainly give Celtic something to think about.

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    ---------------- Laidlaw ------------------
    Gray -- Ambrose - Hanlon - Stevenson
    ---------------- Bartley ------------------
    ----------- Dylan --- McGinn ------------
    Boyle ---------------------------- Stokes
    ---------------- Murray ------------------
    PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    People are so offended if lewis doesn't make other's starting line up . Don't take it to heart.

my tip would be shoot from sight and don't let Gordon play from he back, he is prone to the odd howler whether its with his hands or feet.
    I know, drop Lewis for Whittaker, Scotland international and called up again...

Sound

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_HFC View Post
    This is the one.

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig_HFC View Post
    I'd agree but would be tempted to be swapping Murray and Stokes about and using ginges' pace to get at Lustig

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MyJo View Post
    I'd agree but would be tempted to be swapping Murray and Stokes about and using ginges' pace to get at Lustig

Murray would presumably be able to last the pace getting up and down the line to help defensively better too - replace with Swanson towards the end if needed.

My concern though would be Stokes drifting wide and leaving no one in the middle.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar
    Absolute cert Griffiths will score.
    ​​
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016 - The Immortals

First Team Breakthrough Green Cabbage 7's Avatar
    I’d play a 4-3-3 formation.

1 Laidlaw
    2 Gray 4 Ambrose. 5 Hanlon. 3Stevenson

6 Bartley 8 Mcginn

10 Swanson

7 Boyle. 9 Stokes. 11 Murray

I’d have Mcginn and Bartley protecting the back line, all the forwards interchanging, with Swanson supplying the ball for a quick break up the park. The idea is Murray and Boyle pinning back there fullbacks.

4-2-3-1 For me...

You need to try stop the supply which comes from wide. At the same time you need to watch you don't get stretched too much yo allow Rogic and Armstrong space. The less said about Griffiths the better.

Hitting them on the break seems to be the best option so we need plenty pace for that. The Rangers had a bit of success with that in the first half, got the ball to Windass who caused a few issues.

Team line up for us? Dunno! I'd say Boyle should play and McGeough. In all honesty, not sure if I'd start with Stokes...

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    I liked the St Mirren tactic of pressing their back four except Boyata (terrible passer). Worked for them for an hour and only a crossbar away from a 2-0 lead early in second half.

Quote Originally Posted by MyJo View Post
    Don't give Scott Brown any space or freedom and utilise the pace in the squad for counter attacking.
    Exactly this, Rangers stood off and gave him so much space on Saturday, he was about to control at his will.

Not too many weak links in their team, but Gordon could be perceived as being on the weaker side at the moment, so it would be worth pressing him as his passing can be quite suspect

I'd play 3 at the back with Ryan Porteous it's something they won't expect and be on the back foot even before kick off

Well last time we got a draw - what would you do differently this time?

I think this is a game we need to start quickly. There's no point playing with one up front. We need to make it difficult for the Celtic defence and for that reason I would play Stokes and Simon Murray, leaving Boyle on the bench.

@hibs.net private member
    Pack midfield stiffile the game as much as we can then about 60 minutes in bring on either Boyle or Swanston and Murray and let them run at them as I feel they'll tire because of their midweek game.

Game could easily go to extra time and this again is where speed and width would come into its own against them as they'll tire before us.

GGTTH