hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    4-2-3-1 Laidlaw

Whittaker Porteous Hanlon Stevenson

Bartley Efe

Boyle Slivka McGinn

Stokes.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Rangers defence was ok.,McCrorie better than ok.Their front men kept going but their midfield was abysmal.Extra man in midfield would allow one to push up on Brown and niggle him.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    If we sit back and invite them on, we'll get leathered. Push up, as St Johnstone did and have a go. It's a free hit, with no pressure.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

I have noticed in 'big games' that John McGinn, whether by accident or design plays more like a midfield spoiler than an attacking midfield player. I would get him to stick to Scott Brown like bloody glue and follow him all over the pitch. The amount of time and space Brown is allowed in games does my head in and IMO its one of the reasons Celtic are so effective going forward. McGinn loves a tackle, is easily as physical as Brown and is very good at shielding the ball when he gets possession .... if he keeps niggling away its only a matter of time before he provokes a reaction.

In this situation I think McGinn would be even more effective than Bartley and I would love to see how it pans out ... Brown always gets an easy ride for me, I think we should put a stop to it next Saturday and SJM is just the man to do it IMO.

3 - 5 - 2 would be my preferred option, but with Fonts and Daz both out the only way to play that would be to chuck Porteous in at the deep end, which I cant see it happening. In which case I would play a 4 - 5 - 1

Laidlaw

Whittaker ( unless SDG is fit ) Ambrose, Hanlon, Stevenson

Boyle, McGinn, Bartley, Slivka, Swanson

Stokes

Boyle is brilliant at tracking back and hopefully Swanson can do a similar job in front of Stevenson, which will hopefully limit Celtic's options out wide .... but they both have the pace to cause problems on the break, it might just be my imagination, but I'm sure Danny Swanson likes playing at Parkhead and has had some good games there.

The only thing I cant decide on is how to play ...... Do we press high up the pitch forcing them to play long balls, or do we allow them the ball in their own half and flood our half with bodies looking to hit on the break when we gain possession. Both systems have their merits, but also their dangers ..... over to you Neil.

PS
    If we go a goal behind in the first 15 minutes then sod it ........... Take off Bartley, chuck on Murray go 4 - 4 - 2 and have a bloody right good go. We might get pumped as a result, but it will be interesting to watch
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 24-09-2017 at 12:36 PM.

On our day, with some luck and lots of hard work and steely concentration we might just manage to beat them, especially if they play very, very poorly. Don't think we should sit deep as some have suggested, we should press them up the park, but I don't think the team is fit enough to do that for long. Rangers were decent enough running at them on the break, as the Celtic defence is not so steadfast, but we need to take any chances we have .... personally I think they have too much pace and skill and creativity for us and they are - on their day - a far better team than Hibs, then again - on the day - it's only 11 men each and one ball, anything can happen - this will be a reality check for Hibs fans: how good we are and how good Lennon is ....

The build up after the CL midweek game will be about Lennon going back to parkhead. The Celtic fans will not treat like a Rangers (hate) or Aberdeen (closer rival) or Hearts (Diet Huns) so I don't expect much 'spice' from them or the players. This might help us especially if they have had a physically tough game in midweek.

So then.....Bartley wipes out Brown after 5 mins and the tone for us is set.....

Need to be right up for it, the right tempo, be brave and concentration 100% for 95 mins.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Someone is going to beat them eventually. Why not us? Need a few breaks and can't afford to waste any chances. You need to close them down right from the back so a key role for our frontmen.
    Last edited by Baader; 24-09-2017 at 01:14 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Someone is going to beat them eventually. Why not us? Need a few break and can't afford to waste any chances. You need to close them down right from the back so a key role for our frontmen.
    When they do lose, I doubt it will be a home game. It's a huge ask, but there's no pressure. Play and have a go.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    When they do lose, I doubt it will be a home game. It's a huge ask, but there's no pressure. Play and have a go.
    Probably right, at the end of the day what do we really have to lose, and if we do give it a real go at least it will give the Celtic fans another chance to patronise us by saying how refreshing it was to see plucky Hibs come to their bit and actually have a go, unlike other teams.

Wind Brown up with in his face stuff from the start get him to bite, and he will start his kicking, elbows,leaving his studs in, nasty wee stamps and hope the.officis have.the bottle to make a decision against him....yip I know it will be the first.time this season but we need.to upset his game !!
    Stokes needs.to screw.the.nut as.they will be at.it winding.him up from the start and he will already have.himself fired up.
    Ambrose can't be his casual self and Hanlon needs to be.on top of it as well give Sparkey a heavy.challenge.early on !
    A lot.for us depends on McGinn having a strong game and.showing what he has got for the whole game. Boyle iso ur potential matchwinner, he definitely can cause them problems.
    Suppose from above same.as has been said a few times everyone of the 11 picked needs to be right up for it and brave on the ball.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Laidlaw

Whittaker
    Ambrose
    Hanlon
    Stevenson

Bartley
    McGeouch

Boyle
    McGinn
    Stokes

Murray

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    That's true but eventually someone will beat them at home... Pressure most definitely off!
    Last edited by Baader; 24-09-2017 at 01:28 PM.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Its a funny old game as they say. Someone could have the game of their life (like Conrad at Hampden for instance), a man could get sent off early doors, you just never know. The odds are stacked on Celtic but as others have said we havent got anythng to lose and we arent a bad side.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Laidlaw

Whittaker Ambrose Hanlon Lewis
    Bartley
    Boyle McGeouch McGinn Swanson

Stokes

We'll need to have numbers in midfield and also players out wide. The pace of Boyle will be vital and I don't think we can afford to have two up front.

Sit in, let them have the ball in the final two thirds and crowd them out in the final third - really make them have to work for an inch of space where they really need it. Use the pace of Boyle to break and hope that Stokes can be clinical up front.
    Last edited by Northernhibee; 24-09-2017 at 05:36 PM.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Bribe the staff at Brussels airport to stop their plane from leaving until next Sunday.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Firs we go a goal up early doors after some woeful defending and let them score a header and a screamer from outside the box to let them go 2-1 up. We get a corner and score a header at the near post, get another corner in the 92nd minute, corner taker to delivvveeeeeeerrrr, header, boomph, in the corner, total scenes, hold out, 3-2, celebrations, history. Neil McCann moans and whines on the telly like an arse.

Job done.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by hibs#1 View Post
    Just go mental and try and score as many goals as possible might lose 6-4 but at least it would be entertaining.
    I like it.
    If we just try and sit in we'll get beat anyway,might as well have a proper go.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    I'm all for a bit of realism but the attitude from some on this thread is embarassing, and if it's a reflection of the attitudes of the rest of other Scottish sides have in the run-up to a game against Celtic then the game up here really is goosed if we're all so defeatist. Apathy spreads.

We might well get trounced I'm not for a minute suggesting we'll go there and get a result but I'd like to think they'll be beaten sooner rather than later and we'll have a better chance than many other sides they'll face in the league. We're playing Celtic, not Barcelona. Stay switched on and get stuck in, **** sitting off them and showing them any respect whatsoever.

It's a bit of a cliche but I'd sooner see Hibs get beat 4 nil while at least attempting to have a go at them to begin with as opposed to keeping it as cagey and tight as possible and still getting beat by a couple anyway.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Testimonial Due
    Sign Neymar on Emergency Loan

All kidding aside, I think Hibs can pull off the win, though I would settle for a draw in Glasgow and a win at Easter Road. 4-5-1, Boyle and Swanson to counter with speed against a tired Celtic defense after a disappointing result against Anderlecht.

Imo lustig is murder. If he is playing stick Boyle on his side and let him run at him

With Celtic playing Anderlecht just two days before, they may rest a few and if that result goes badly then the atmosphere might be a bit flat. However, if Griffiths doesn't play - Dembele comes in, McGregor for Rogic, Forrest for Roberts etc...
    A midfielder for Murray does seem the most likely option with our defensive options limited. Does Swanson offer enough in terms of tracking back? McGeough is better tucked inside. Gray or Whittaker or both with Whitts pushed on and Boyle on the left?
    It's a tall order but I'm going for an optimistic 2-2 in the BBC predictor - Stokes double.

Quote Originally Posted by number9dream View Post
    With Celtic playing Anderlecht just two days before, they may rest a few and if that result goes badly then the atmosphere might be a bit flat. However, if Griffiths doesn't play - Dembele comes in, McGregor for Rogic, Forrest for Roberts etc...
    A midfielder for Murray does seem the most likely option with our defensive options limited. Does Swanson offer enough in terms of tracking back? McGeough is better tucked inside. Gray or Whittaker or both with Whitts pushed on and Boyle on the left?
    It's a tall order but I'm going for an optimistic 2-2 in the BBC predictor - Stokes double.
    DMCG AND Bartley have to play for me. Bartley can do his destroyer role and McG gives us a yard and an assured outlet to feet nearly every time.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    It'll be ten against twelve and Leigh will score a couple.
    Celtc 0 Hibs 2 ( Griffith's 5min og, 50min og)
    Wonder if he'll thump the Celtic badge, him being a big Hibby an all.

Imo we play better when it's an open game as there's more space to attack.

**** sitting in and hoping we can sneak a result. 50 matches or whatever it is has passed and x number of teams have tried different set ups. Let's go there and play OUR normal game. We've got a number of players that can hurt celtic.

Will it work? Who knows, stats say no and if we take the game to them we could take a hiding but someone has to stand up to them and make them think

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    I'm all for a bit of realism but the attitude from some on this thread is embarassing, and if it's a reflection of the attitudes of the rest of other Scottish sides have in the run-up to a game against Celtic then the game up here really is goosed if we're all so defeatist. Apathy spreads.

We might well get trounced I'm not for a minute suggesting we'll go there and get a result but I'd like to think they'll be beaten sooner rather than later and we'll have a better chance than many other sides they'll face in the league. We're playing Celtic, not Barcelona. Stay switched on and get stuck in, **** sitting off them and showing them any respect whatsoever.

It's a bit of a cliche but I'd sooner see Hibs get beat 4 nil while at least attempting to have a go at them to begin with as opposed to keeping it as cagey and tight as possible and still getting beat by a couple anyway.
    Mostly agreeing with what you say....... aside from the first paragraph. Quite a leap from interpreting the views of a few ( tbf- I haven't read the whole thread, but haven't seen anything untoward) and extrapolating that to say that the whole Scottish game is goosed and talking about defeatism. Slight irony bypass methinks

Try and match them man for man, similar formation & make sure we're wanting the win more than them...

Laidlaw

Gray Ambrose Hanlon Whittaker

Bartley McGinn

Boyle McGeough Swanson

Stokes

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_F View Post
    Try and match them man for man, similar formation & make sure we're wanting the win more than them...

Laidlaw

Bartley McGinn

Boyle McGeough Swanson

Stokes
    Stevenson must play, and I agree with Gray. The rest seem like a good shout. Whittaker misses out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_F View Post

Laidlaw

Bartley McGinn

Boyle McGeough Swanson

Stokes

So you'd drop Stevenson who's been our most consistent players since coming back into the team, I really wonder about peoples footballing ideas at times.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    So you'd drop Stevenson who's been our most consistent players since coming back into the team, I really wonder about peoples footballing ideas at times.
    People are so offended if lewis doesn't make other's starting line up . Don't take it to heart.

my tip would be shoot from sight and don't let Gordon play from he back, he is prone to the odd howler whether its with his hands or feet.

Coaching Staff
    Play our usual game and I think we will get chances - its whether we can take them and also keep ourselves organised enough at the back.

It is a bit of a free shot and nothing to lose really.