hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Celtic Accounts

As far as I remember from 2013 the majority of celtc fans left after the final whistle and didn't bother to even applaud the team.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by mjhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That is certainly true. I think getting Rodgers in as manager has put them on a different level to everybody else and it will be interesting to see how they do when he eventually departs. Sevco are grossly underperforming for the resources they have and you just can't see how they can challenge celtic unless they get a benefactor who delivers on promises unlike the present charlatan. The dons have punched above their weight for years but I fancy this will end soon and Mcinnes will depart. They are focused on the new stadium and it would be some feat to be second again. I think we are still a work in progress and anywhere between 4th and 6 th is our likely finish. Hertz I'm sure will do better under Potter but after a good start will fade due to them having a relatively poor squad.
    As a hibs fan our club is the strongest it's been since the turn of the century but we must be honest that the spl is the weakest I can remember for a very long time and I would not hazard a guess how many titles in a row they will win not that bothers me as I'm only concerned with hfc.
    Aberdeens last three performances suggest they are unlikely to be a threat to anyone this season but I'm sure they will be battling for a place in Europe which sadly is the height of the ambition to all outside celtic and which invariably ends in humiliation and excuses about not starting the season early enough. I'd rather win a trophy and finish fifth than finish third and get humped by a team we've never heard of in Europe.

@hibs.net private member ano hibby's Avatar
    So Man Utd revenue is £580m, Celtc £80m and us £7/8m.
    Hmmm!!
    "We've also been unsure about what has happened to the receipts of the players who have been sold."
    George Foulkes BBC website 20/3/08

Quote Originally Posted by ano hibby View Post
    So Man Utd revenue is £580m, Celtc £80m and us £7/8m.
    Hmmm!!
    Genuine question, what needs to change in Scottish football for teams like Hibs, Aberdeen, Motherwell and so on to increase their revenue? Scottish football isn't glamorous, and sadly outside Scotland the only interest is the Old Firm games, but it's not like we don't have great historical teams up here. We could do a helluva lot more to promote our game I feel. The Edinburgh derby is a capital city game, two historic teams with a great rivalry, it should attract more viewership worldwide in my opinion.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelTheCelt View Post
    Genuine question, what needs to change in Scottish football for teams like Hibs, Aberdeen, Motherwell and so on to increase their revenue? Scottish football isn't glamorous, and sadly outside Scotland the only interest is the Old Firm games, but it's not like we don't have great historical teams up here. We could do a helluva lot more to promote our game I feel. The Edinburgh derby is a capital city game, two historic teams with a great rivalry, it should attract more viewership worldwide in my opinion.
    People to follow their local teams for one

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    The only one that concerns or embarrasses me of your three examples is the first one, because it was us that took a hammering. I don't support Aberdeen or St Johnstone, so their struggles are of little interest to me.

However from your reference to "mighty Apollonian Limassol" you clearly believe that Scottish clubs are "superior" to those from other countries, when the competitive results for a number of seasons are evidence that that has long since ceased to be the case.

Would it be nice if Scotland could again produce a standard of footballer that enables its clubs to win regularly in Europe? Of course, but I'm realistic enough to deal with the fact that we don't.
    Surely" if it would be nice" if our clubs...could win regularly in Europe, it must "not be nice" that they don't?

But, I get it. You don't care that our country's national sport is of an appallingly poor standard.

You're also happy for that to be confirmed, year after year, by our teams being unable to progress past the first or second qualifying rounds of European tournaments.

Personally, I find it depressing that a club with Hibs' European history and pedigree struggles to compete in a league which proves itself to be of such a poor, and embarrassing, standard every 12 months.

Everyone to their own, I guess.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member
    The main difference is TV money. Hibs and Hearts have done very well in terms of getting fans back to watching the game but we didn't embrace sky in the same way that English football did. We are never going to get the same amount of money for viewing rights as the EPL but if we want to generate more revenue I think we need to look at what we can do to make this an attractive product for media companies. We need radical solutions, so perhaps looking beyond the traditional media and to the likes of Youtube and Facebook where the potential audiences are massive. I also think we should consider summer football, where there is so much less competition for media interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Surely" if it would be nice" if our clubs...could win regularly in Europe, it must "not be nice" that they don't?

But, I get it. You don't care that our country's national sport is of an appallingly poor standard.

You're also happy for that to be confirmed, year after year, by our teams being unable to progress past the first or second qualifying rounds of European tournaments.

Personally, I find it depressing that a club with Hibs' European history and pedigree struggles to compete in a league which proves itself to be of such a poor, and embarrassing, standard every 12 months.

Everyone to their own, I guess.
    One of the problems i think iss the fact that even Scandinavian countries are having cash thrown at them by TV, we are not, they can attract and invest alot more into their grass roots football.

Sheffield Wednesday v Sheffield United, when it happens, is arguably an even bigger derby, but that doesn't even get watched in England.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by allezsauzee View Post
    The main difference is TV money. Hibs and Hearts have done very well in terms of getting fans back to watching the game but we didn't embrace sky in the same way that English football did. We are never going to get the same amount of money for viewing rights as the EPL but if we want to generate more revenue I think we need to look at what we can do to make this an attractive product for media companies. We need radical solutions, so perhaps looking beyond the traditional media and to the likes of Youtube and Facebook where the potential audiences are massive. I also think we should consider summer football, where there is so much less competition for media interest.
    That is a fantastic shout we could lead the way in that as a country, Scotland is an innovator no reason why we couldn't seriously look at that. I'd like to see us with our own channel too, that doesn't come with EPL football. Completely disassociate ourselves from English footy because we are an inferior product in comparison.

Summer football just makes so much sense, in fact all of what you said makes too much sense that's why the powers at the SFA would never go with it.

Bawbags!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    One of the problems i think iss the fact that even Scandinavian countries are having cash thrown at them by TV, we are not, they can attract and invest alot more into their grass roots football.
    There are all sorts of reasons behind the state of the Scottish game.

The close proximity to England being a huge factor. The EPL is watched all over the globe.

Apart from Celtic, in particular, and Secco to a lesser extent, there is no global interest in our league.

Failing at the first European hurdle every year, exacerbates that situation.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Broadcasting Scottish games live on Youtube is a very interesting idea.

Sheffield Wednesday v Sheffield United, when it happens, is arguably an even bigger derby, but that doesn't even get watched in England.
    I'd disagree with you there mate but that may be my bias showing. Capital city derby and the Dundee derby are bigger games to me than a lot of the derby games in England. Only United-Liverpool, Arsenal-Tottenham, Liverpool-Everton are bigger derbies in my opinion. But again that may be because I'm Scottish.

That is a fantastic shout we could lead the way in that as a country, Scotland is an innovator no reason why we couldn't seriously look at that. I'd like to see us with our own channel too, that doesn't come with EPL football. Completely disassociate ourselves from English footy because we are an inferior product in comparison.

Summer football just makes so much sense, in fact all of what you said makes too much sense that's why the powers at the SFA would never go with it.

Bawbags!
    The reason we can't lead the way on summer football are plentiful. They're called the fans.

Start a thread/poll to discuss the idea and you'll soon find out.

I'm all for it, by the way. (Summer football, that is, not the thread/poll )

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Broadcasting Scottish games live on Youtube is a very interesting idea.
    The ability to pick and choose the games you want to watch, so you pay a small fee for each game. Clubs might not want to go with that as they'd think fans wouldn't turn up in the stadium but my answer to that is make ticket prices reasonable. Complete restructuring top to bottom for Scottish football.

The reason we can't lead the way on summer football are plentiful. They're called the fans.

Start a thread/poll to discuss the idea and you'll soon find out.

I'm all for it, by the way. (Summer football, that is, not the thread/poll )
    From what I've seen on Celtic forums is everyone is in favour of summer football, is there a divide on here like?

I'd disagree with you there mate but that may be my bias showing. Capital city derby and the Dundee derby are bigger games to me than a lot of the derby games in England. Only United-Liverpool, Arsenal-Tottenham, Liverpool-Everton are bigger derbies in my opinion. But again that may be because I'm Scottish.
    Yeah, the term "big" is subjective.

I picked those 2 clubs because their attendances are generally much higher than Hibs/hearts, but it was an example of how little interest there is in anything outside the EPL. There are many others.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 22-09-2017 at 09:37 AM.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar

Maybe we could go back to away teams sharing the gate money ? I know that will never happen but to my mind when that changed it put Celtic & Rangers on a different planet to the rest of the teams. I can see why it changed.....why should home fans ticket monies be subsidising away teams with crappy supports. Perhaps a %ge could go to the away team ?

From what I've seen on Celtic forums is everyone is in favour of summer football, is there a divide on here like?
    That surprises me.

Seriously, start a thread.

That surprises me.

Seriously, start a thread.
    Naw! I feel I'd be in for some flack for starting a thread like that as I'm clearly not privy to the discussion that took place before on here in regards to summer footy

Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    Maybe we could go back to away teams sharing the gate money ? I know that will never happen but to my mind when that changed it put Celtic & Rangers on a different planet to the rest of the teams. I can see why it changed.....why should home fans ticket monies be subsidising away teams with crappy supports. Perhaps a %ge could go to the away team ?
    How does this work mate? Honestly have no idea how the gate money works now, my first game was in 98 (at home to Hibs). Do the home teams get a bigger cut of the gate money? So like based on the size of the attendance for both teams it is split accordingly to that?

Tin hat on but home teams getting the bigger share of the gate only seems fair in my opinion, it is the home teams after all.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    How does this work mate? Honestly have no idea how the gate money works now, my first game was in 98 (at home to Hibs). Do the home teams get a bigger cut of the gate money? So like based on the size of the attendance for both teams it is split accordingly to that?

Tin hat on but home teams getting the bigger share of the gate only seems fair in my opinion, it is the home teams after all.

I don't disagree...... I cant remember when it changed may have been early 80's or even earlier but pretty sure back in the day gate money was shared as it is for cup games. Someone tell me I didnt make this up ! Currently for league games home team takes all.
    Last edited by stantonhibby; 22-09-2017 at 09:51 AM.

I don't disagree...... I cant remember when it changed may have been early 80's or even earlier but pretty sure back in the day gate money was shared as it is for cup games. Someone tell me I didnt make this up !
    Fairly sure you are right anyway, I have seen people mention the gate money and how it used to be before, well I'm sure I have...

The problem with 'Summer' football is that at the moment the season finishes in the back end of May and the new season starts in mid-July. That is about six weeks or so of extra publicity. But at that time many of the supporters will be away on holiday.

Switching to the summer hasn't generated much interest in the League of Ireland. The Women's Super League in England has just switched from Summer to Winter.

It would also deprive the SPFL of the New Year matches.

I don't disagree...... I cant remember when it changed may have been early 80's or even earlier but pretty sure back in the day gate money was shared as it is for cup games. Someone tell me I didnt make this up !
    You're 100% correct.

However, even though gate money was split, Celtic and Rangers still dominated.

Maybe not to the same extent as now, but still to a huge degree.

@hibs.net private member hibee_nation's Avatar
    I don't disagree...... I cant remember when it changed may have been early 80's or even earlier but pretty sure back in the day gate money was shared as it is for cup games. Someone tell me I didnt make this up ! Currently for league games home team takes all.
    That is why Celtc put out joke attendances back then to pocket more of the cash. SFA should have an investigation into their cheating of us out of money
    45 AND RISING

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar

The reversal of the long standing tradition of sharing gate money took place because the League authorities cow-towed to the OF and their abysmal influence on the running of our game. It made the gulf much larger than it had ever been before.

For the greater good of the game that should never have happened. Football is business but it's not like other "products". There is no competition and I'm sure OF fans would get tired of playing each other every week. Celtic already have a guaranteed shot of getting into the Champions League every year, that is the bonus of having a monopoly in a noncompetative competition. Clubs should grow some bawz and challenge the status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfuddyhibby View Post
    The reversal of the long standing tradition of sharing gate money took place because the League authorities cow-towed to the OF and their abysmal influence on the running of our game. It made the gulf much larger than it had ever been before.

For the greater good of the game that should never have happened. Football is business but it's not like other "products". There is no competition and I'm sure OF fans would get tired of playing each other every week. Celtic already have a guaranteed shot of getting into the Champions League every year, that is the bonus of having a monopoly in a noncompetative competition. Clubs should grow some bawz and challenge the status quo.
    Do you think then if the gate money was to revert back it would make Hibs Aberdeen and co more competitive?

Scottish football is past doomed.

Do you think then if the gate money was to revert back it would make Hibs Aberdeen and co more competitive?
    Would need to crunch the numbers to work it out, but we'd probably take a hit. However, the league as a whole would be more balanced.