hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Celtic Accounts

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yet some keep wanting Celtic to do well in Europe. Sorry I don't care if it gives us a little extra they are pulling away from the rest it's embarrassing. No other team will win the Scottish Premier for at least the next 10/20 years including The Rangers.

But I think by then there will be an Atlantic League or another league where they won't be here. I can't wait until that happens because no one will get close.
    I know why you say that, but Celtic failing in Europe will not improve the standard of our league, and, if anything, would be/is even more embarrassing.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I know why you say that, but Celtic failing in Europe will not improve the standard of our league, and, if anything, would be/is even more embarrassing.

One way Scottish football needs to improve is by better results in UEFA competitions.

Like it or not that means backing our club representatives in those competitions.

I hope Hibs will be regular competitors in Europe soon, and I hope our domestic rivals will also see the bigger picture.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    That's a lot of pastries in 6 months...
    12 months

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

What's embarrassing about it? Not enough mercenaries?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    What's embarrassing about it? Not enough mercenaries?
    Try to work it out yourself.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Yet some keep wanting Celtic to do well in Europe. Sorry I don't care if it gives us a little extra they are pulling away from the rest it's embarrassing. No other team will win the Scottish Premier for at least the next 10/20 years including The Rangers.

But I think by then there will be an Atlantic League or another league where they won't be here. I can't wait until that happens because no one will get close.
    disagree with this. I like to see them do well as our teams generally get put out very early on which is meaning our coefficents are dropping massively if Celtic fail. IF our teams start doing better in europe generally then id be a little more happy to see them struggle

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This is how I look at it as well, their resources are so vast compared to everybody else losing to them is no longer a cause for any disappointment, annoyance, anger or any other negative emotion which would normally accompany Hibs losing to another Scottish club ..... they could put two teams on the park capable of winning the Premiership. From my point of view any game against them is a free hit, if we get anything brilliant, if we don't its ho hum who cares, onto the next game.

I just don't get where the joy is in being a Celtic supporter .... If they were building teams from the ground up and winning stuff on a level playing field fine, or even if it was a case of having a large windfall that put them out in front for a few years. But this seems to me like a never ending 'Groundhog day' where nothing will ever change, win after win, league after league, cup after cup with no competition to speak of ..... don't tell me that eventually that wouldn't bore the tits off you
    Agree. They just won't have a feeling like May 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by OxoHibby View Post
    But this is their point about the gulf between then and the other leagues in the cl. I found their result against psg quite sad. Not that I like celtic in any way but if they can't compete in the cl what chance do hibs have. It's not even like psg are a big European club. Financial doping wins
    If you are talking about Hibs ever competing in the 'so called' champions league there is no chance we ever will, but that applies to 90% or more of all clubs in Europe. In fact the only way the champions league is surviving is because of financial doping, where a handful of bang average clubs supported by insane outside money like PSG, Chelsea and Man City can be considered a challenge and therefor its not yet been accepted that the whole thing is what it is, a non competitive borefest.

The current theory is that eventually there will be a European league .... but unless UEFA come up with an NFL type system where all clubs are forced to adopt the same budget at the start of the season it will fail. How long will fans of Bayern Munich, Ajax or Celtic settle for being also rans in a league dominated by Real Madrid, PSG, Barcelona and Man City?

Then there is the cultural aspect of the game as well ....... I cant see a fan of Celtic dropping his hatred of The Rangers and transferring that fierce rivalry to an intense dislike of Borussia Dortmund, or a Dortmund fan leaving behind the intense rivalry with Shalke and transferring it to Ajax. Local or regional rivalry is a big deal in football and I cant see that successfully transferring to a European league.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Newry Hibs View Post
    Agree. They just won't have a feeling like May 2016.
    Ridiculous.

Try to work it out yourself.
    The only embarrassing aspect is how the SFA/SPFL handle off field issues. The football itself is fine.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimboHibs View Post
    Ridiculous.
    How is that ridiculous? Celtic will NEVER have a feeling like we did when we won the Scottish Cup. I would suggest that even winning the Champions League wouldn't get close to giving them the same feeling.

Ridiculous.
    You must be mate.

Like most folk on here I was at the 2001 and 2013 cup finals and what was striking after both games was watching the Celtic fans from my seat on the bus as we drove out of Glasgow .... you got no sense from them that they had just won the national cup competition, they were trudging along as if they had just beaten Hamilton 5 - 0 at Celtic park.

When they went ahead against Aberdeen in this years cup final at exactly the same time as we did against The Rangers do you think any of their fans did what I did in 2016 and shut my eyes and covered my ears for the next two minutes praying we could hold out until full time? and I bet I wasn't the only one.

I'm sure Celtic fans have had their moments, but a moment that replicated what we experienced on 21/05.2016 ..... nah, at least not since 1967

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    What’s our turnover in comparison?
    £7m for the 11 months ended June 16.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Remember thats turnover not profit. The gulf will be much larger once costs are taken into account.
    I know it’s only turnover, but £90millon in 6 months is impressive

If you are talking about Hibs ever competing in the 'so called' champions league there is no chance we ever will, but that applies to 90% or more of all clubs in Europe. In fact the only way the champions league is surviving is because of financial doping, where a handful of bang average clubs supported by insane outside money like PSG, Chelsea and Man City can be considered a challenge and therefor its not yet been accepted that the whole thing is what it is, a non competitive borefest.

The current theory is that eventually there will be a European league .... but unless UEFA come up with an NFL type system where all clubs are forced to adopt the same budget at the start of the season it will fail. How long will fans of Bayern Munich, Ajax or Celtic settle for being also rans in a league dominated by Real Madrid, PSG, Barcelona and Man City?

Then there is the cultural aspect of the game as well ....... I cant see a fan of Celtic dropping his hatred of The Rangers and transferring that fierce rivalry to an intense dislike of Borussia Dortmund, or a Dortmund fan leaving behind the intense rivalry with Shalke and transferring it to Ajax. Local or regional rivalry is a big deal in football and I cant see that successfully transferring to a European league.

The fans don't really matter in this context. The Champions League and the EPL for that matter are sustained by attracting customers from around the world who are consumers of merchandise and advertising connected with these brands. I spend a lot of time in Tunisia and have noted with interest over the past 5-7 years the dramatic growth of Chelsea, Man U, Man C etc tops and interest in the EPL. The main Spanish (RM/Barca) and Italian (esp. Juve) brands are still big sellers and maybe Marseille/PSG to a lesser extent but the growth of the English 'products' recently has been huge.
    I think for the purposes of those who are flogging football globally the 'club culture' is only useful if it can be turned into something they can sell.

In Scotland the relentless promotion of a two club model by the authorities and media has spectacularly backfired. Hence the collapse of one of these clubs is seen as 'the problem' for Scottish football and the solution will be framed in terms of 'how do get "Rangers" back up there competing with Celtic'.

If the problem for Scottish had been framed as how do we ensure a thriving football culture that shares success around then perhaps some quite radical solutions would have been developed - proper wage caps etc. But that ship has sailed a long time ago.

As for Celtic they were happy to promote the two club hegemony and they will be happy now there is only one club. For me it wouldn't have mattered if they had gone down the tubes and Rangers were now the masters. They are both equally toxic institutions and I want them both to lose every game - usually even when they play Hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    I know it’s only turnover, but £90millon in 6 months is impressive
    It's 12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The only embarrassing aspect is how the SFA/SPFL handle off field issues. The football itself is fine.
    Hmm.

Scottish clubs getting papped out of Europe by previously unheard of minnows at the qualification stages, year in, year out, doesn't suggest the football is anywhere close to being fine.

It's a total embarrassment.

Hmm.

Scottish clubs getting papped out of Europe by previously unheard of minnows at the qualification stages, year in, year out, doesn't suggest the football is anywhere close to being fine.

That's largely down to how Uefa structure their tournaments. We usually get knocked out by a minnow in the middle of their season just as our players are back from holiday.

There's loads of decent players in the Scottish Premiership. We've got a pretty decent squad and yet we're currently mid table which says a lot about the other sides.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    It's 12 months.
    Still impressed though😄

Testimonial Due
    You must be mate.

Like most folk on here I was at the 2001 and 2013 cup finals and what was striking after both games was watching the Celtic fans from my seat on the bus as we drove out of Glasgow .... you got no sense from them that they had just won the national cup competition, they were trudging along as if they had just beaten Hamilton 5 - 0 at Celtic park.

When they went ahead against Aberdeen in this years cup final at exactly the same time as we did against The Rangers do you think any of their fans did what I did in 2016 and shut my eyes and covered my ears for the next two minutes praying we could hold out until full time? and I bet I wasn't the only one.

I'm sure Celtic fans have had their moments, but a moment that replicated what we experienced on 21/05.2016 ..... nah, at least not since 1967
    Of course it's ridiculous,unless you support Celtic you'll never know what feeling their fans get you can only assume ?? because it was so emotional to us doesn't mean Celtic's achievements may feel any less emotional to them,it's like saying if you were a Ross County fan Celtic will never experience the feeling Ross County felt when they beat us in the League Cup,your only feeling it from our emotional attachment to winning it.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    All that money and they still screw everyone for a honking restricted view at Parkhead.

There was a good thing on the totally football podcast that James Richardson is doing at the moment. If you calculate PSGs average spend on player wage it's something like 8 times Celtics. (admittedly prior to the recent two huge signings). But Celtics spend is 15 times Ross County's who they were playing the following week, which shows they have **** all to complain about.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Man United income for 2016-17 published today as £581.2 million. Celtc minnows
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Regardless of whether fans of other clubs like them or not, Celtic are a well run club, thanks mainly to Fergus McCann who changed the way the club was run after years of mismanagement by people like the Kellys and the Whites. I've always been a Hibs fan and right now I'm more than happy with how my club is run, how Celtic are run is certainly not top of my list of priorities. But they're well run on and off the park.

I also just don't get Rodgers' argument. He seems to be saying you can't make a 'zero sum' comparison between Celtic-PSG gulf and a Celtic-Ross County gulf, because there is an exponential increase in quality the higher up the quality ladder you go.

Total rubbish of course. If anything it works the other way; if we say Lukaku is a 250k a week player, Scott Sinclair is a 25k a week player and Michael Gardyne a 2.5k a week player, I would say there's a bigger gulf between players like Gardyne and Sinclair than Sinclair and Lukaku. (I suppose some may disagree).

Hmm.

I'm a Hibs fan, so don't get embarrassed when Celtc lose to Lincoln Red Imps, Sevco to Progres Niederkorn or Hearts to Birkirkara.

Of course it's ridiculous,unless you support Celtic you'll never know what feeling their fans get you can only assume ?? because it was so emotional to us doesn't mean Celtic's achievements may feel any less emotional to them,it's like saying if you were a Ross County fan Celtic will never experience the feeling Ross County felt when they beat us in the League Cup,your only feeling it from our emotional attachment to winning it.
    Given how regularly Celtc win trophies, it's safe to say that they will never know the feeling that we had after 114 years of Scottish Cup misery or that Ross County had on winning their first ever major trophy. The closest they could come would be winning the modern Champions League.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Regardless of whether fans of other clubs like them or not, Celtic are a well run club, thanks mainly to Fergus McCann who changed the way the club was run after years of mismanagement by people like the Kellys and the Whites. I've always been a Hibs fan and right now I'm more than happy with how my club is run, how Celtic are run is certainly not top of my list of priorities. But they're well run on and off the park.
    That is certainly true. I think getting Rodgers in as manager has put them on a different level to everybody else and it will be interesting to see how they do when he eventually departs. Sevco are grossly underperforming for the resources they have and you just can't see how they can challenge celtic unless they get a benefactor who delivers on promises unlike the present charlatan. The dons have punched above their weight for years but I fancy this will end soon and Mcinnes will depart. They are focused on the new stadium and it would be some feat to be second again. I think we are still a work in progress and anywhere between 4th and 6 th is our likely finish. Hertz I'm sure will do better under Potter but after a good start will fade due to them having a relatively poor squad.
    As a hibs fan our club is the strongest it's been since the turn of the century but we must be honest that the spl is the weakest I can remember for a very long time and I would not hazard a guess how many titles in a row they will win not that bothers me as I'm only concerned with hfc.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    I'm a Hibs fan, so don't get embarrassed when Celtc lose to Lincoln Red Imps, Sevco to Progres Niederkorn or Hearts to Birkirkara.
    I'm sure there were many fans of other teams who revelled in our 9-0 aggregate defeat to Malmo.

A team called Trakai knocked St. Johnstone out this season and the mighty Apollonian Limassol took care of Scotland's second team, Aberdeen.

Nothing to be concerned or embarrassed about, though.

I'm sure there were many fans of other teams who revelled in our 9-0 aggregate defeat to Malmo.

A team called Trakai knocked St. Johnstone out this season and the mighty Apollonian Limassol took care of Scotland's second team, Aberdeen.

Nothing to be concerned or embarrassed about, though.
    The only one that concerns or embarrasses me of your three examples is the first one, because it was us that took a hammering. I don't support Aberdeen or St Johnstone, so their struggles are of little interest to me.

However from your reference to "mighty Apollonian Limassol" you clearly believe that Scottish clubs are "superior" to those from other countries, when the competitive results for a number of seasons are evidence that that has long since ceased to be the case.

Would it be nice if Scotland could again produce a standard of footballer that enables its clubs to win regularly in Europe? Of course, but I'm realistic enough to deal with the fact that we don't.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

I thought I had given a reasonable barometer of the difference between the two with my recollection of the 2001 and 2013 cup finals ..... I remarked to my mate at the time in 2001 as we drove out of Glasgow about how surprised I was at the demeanour of the hundreds of Celtic fans we passed, there was no sign from them that anything exciting had actually happened.

In 2012 our bus was parked miles from the ground and we had to walk right round Hampden through the Celtic fans to get to it .... the atmosphere was the same, sure they didn't exactly look depressed, but there was no sense of euphoria, no sense that their club had actually achieved anything, in fact the only thing that was different from what I would consider a run of the mill game to them was the several patronising Celtic fans who said 'never mind wee man, maybe next year' to me when they saw my Hibs top.

So of course I'm making an assumption ..... but that assumption is based on what I've witnessed after two losing cup finals to Celtic, the difference between the demeanour and behaviour of their fans was night and day compared to ours on 21/05/2016, so I'm quite happy to stick by what I said.