hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Celtic Accounts

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Out of interest, when did the sharing of gate money for league matches end?
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Surely" if it would be nice" if our clubs...could win regularly in Europe, it must "not be nice" that they don't?

But, I get it. You don't care that our country's national sport is of an appallingly poor standard.

You're also happy for that to be confirmed, year after year, by our teams being unable to progress past the first or second qualifying rounds of European tournaments.

Personally, I find it depressing that a club with Hibs' European history and pedigree struggles to compete in a league which proves itself to be of such a poor, and embarrassing, standard every 12 months.

Everyone to their own, I guess.
    I didn't say that I'm happy with it, I said that I'm not concerned about clubs other than Hibs. I didn't get excited about Celtc making the group stages of the Champions League any more than I would if St Johnstone or Aberdeen had reached the next round.

But you sound like you're stuck with the mindset that Scottish clubs have an entitlement to beat clubs from Malta, Lithuania or some other country that you think is of an even more appalling standard than Scottish football.

As I said, I'm realistic enough to accept that at present we are on a par with the standard of football in these countries. Whether that is due to them improving or us getting worse is debatable.

However the only way for there to be a realistic expectation that Scottish clubs should beat those countries' representatives is to find ways to improve the standard of our game to a level above theirs.

Summer football has been suggested by some, including you, as a solution and it's something I'm willing to support. Revenue sharing is something I'm less convinced by as it's likely to reduce the budgets of our better teams which will hamper them in Europe. A bigger question is how do we encourage more kids to play the game and how do we improve their ability?
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    I didn't say that I'm happy with it, I said that I'm not concerned about clubs other than Hibs. I didn't get excited about Celtc making the group stages of the Champions League any more than I would if St Johnstone or Aberdeen had reached the next round.

But you sound like you're stuck with the mindset that Scottish clubs have an entitlement to beat clubs from Malta, Lithuania or some other country that you think is of an even more appalling standard than Scottish football.

As I said, I'm realistic enough to accept that at present we are on a par with the standard of football in these countries. Whether that is due to them improving or us getting worse is debatable.

However the only way for there to be a realistic expectation that Scottish clubs should beat those countries' representatives is to find ways to improve the standard of our game to a level above theirs.

Summer football has been suggested by some, including you, as a solution and it's something I'm willing to support. Revenue sharing is something I'm less convinced by as it's likely to reduce the budgets of our better teams which will hamper them in Europe. A bigger question is how do we encourage more kids to play the game and how do we improve their ability?
    For whatever reason kids are not applying themselves at learning skills and continually improving their game. The current celtic team is miles away from the Martin O'Neil side,rangers with the likes of Gascoigne and the dons team under fergie. They have a winning mentality but it's the lack of opposition more than their excellence is the reason they haven't lost for so long. It's quite depressing at youth level watching so many kids not put in the big effort to improve themselves and raising the standard of our game. It's easy to criticise but much harder to find solutions. Making all clubs coach their players to a certain skill levels would help but the reason we are on a par with Malta etc is we've fallen behind on fitness levels and ball skills. It's as simple as that but unless there is a complete overhaul of the game from primary school level up nothing will change. Can you see celtic agreeing to changes that would enhance the Scottish game when they are so far ahead of everybody else. I think we know the answer to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Rodgers, complaining and bleeting about the unfairness of having to compete with all those rich clubs in Europe, said that the relative unfairness of their income domestically was irrelevant. Patronising idiot. I hope PSG take ten goals off them in Paris.

Yes good for them domestically unfair in european comps. Totally deluded.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post

I don't think Scottish clubs are "entitled" to beat any team from any country.

I do believe they should be though, and regularly, given our population, the resources that go into our game and the fact that football is our national sport.

I saw Hibs beating teams like Rosenberg 9-1 and Sporting Lisbon 6-1.

If we played them now, there's probably more chance of those scores being reversed.

That's (part) of what I find embarrassing, the depths to which our league has fallen.

Maybe if I hadn't witnessed how good we used to be, I would feel differently.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelTheCelt View Post
    I'd disagree with you there mate but that may be my bias showing. Capital city derby and the Dundee derby are bigger games to me than a lot of the derby games in England. Only United-Liverpool, Arsenal-Tottenham, Liverpool-Everton are bigger derbies in my opinion. But again that may be because I'm Scottish.
    Maybe its because you are rather confused thinking Liverpool-United is a Derby. It's just a grudge match between previously dominant teams who are finding the going a little tougher.

Derby matches are between two teams from the same city such Liverpool-Everton, City-United, Wednesday-United, etc. - or between two teams from the same part of a very large City such as Spurs-Arsenal, Chelsea-Fulham, Palace-Charlton, etc. or between teams from nearby one-team Cities such as Newcastle-Sunderland.

Grudge matches such as Liverpool-United, Leeds-United, Aberdeen-Rangers and now Wimbledon-MK Dons can be a lot more bitter than many derby matches.