hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paul Hanlon.

Paul Hanlon.

A Captains performance. Totally dragged that team through tonight by the scruff of the neck. We really need some leaders in midfield to do the same, as we currently look very slow in that area of that park.

2. Log in to remove the advert

He is part of a shambles of a defence who leaks goals at this level regularly..not sure i would go overboard with praise

Bit ott. Looks unfit or carrying a knock. Got the penalty but that was all.

Quote Originally Posted by Albanian Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bit ott. Looks unfit or carrying a knock. Got the penalty but that was all.
    Won about 35 headers...covered for Calamity Ambrose... Not a bad night.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    We scraped past Livvy, There was no real stand out performances tonight in a Hibs jersey.

Not seeing that at all tonight. Didn't think he was particularly bad but don't think he merits the type of praise in the OP.

@hibs.net private member Scooter's Avatar
    Not to blamenfoe the goals. Really good box into the box for 1st and 2nd was Mcginns fault for losing possession where he did

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    Not to blamenfoe the goals. Really good box into the box for 1st and 2nd was Mcginns fault for losing possession where he did

Said that at the time about the second for sure, he's exempt from criticism though it would seem.

NB does his booking rule him out? Did he get booked in the group stages or do they get reset for the knockout rounds?

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    We scraped past Livvy, There was no real stand out performances tonight in a Hibs jersey.
    Really? I thought we controlled most of the game. Laidlaw didn't have a save to make. Back to Hanlon, I thought he was ok but he's better with Fontaine or McGregor alongside him.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    Really? I thought we controlled most of the game. Laidlaw didn't have a save to make. Back to Hanlon, I thought he was ok but he's better with Fontaine or McGregor alongside him.
    I can think of two saves that Laidlaw had to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post

C"mon a game we mostly controlled and only won 3-2 with a late penalty. We looked vulnerable every time Livvy pushed forward and looked like we would concede again.

Looks like he's lost a yard of pace imo.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    C"mon a game we mostly controlled and only won 3-2 with a late penalty. We looked vulnerable every time Livvy pushed forward and looked like we would concede again.
    Livi didn't have a single chance other than their two goals. Can't recall them getting in behind us. One decent long range effort over the bar. Didn't see us looking vulnerable.

3-2 flattered them.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    He was decent. Did really well to win the pen but certainly not a stand out like McGeouch and Stevenson were.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    No we didn't. We looked far more likely to score than they did and we did. Is our CH pairing ideal? No of course not but to make out Livi were as likely to win it as us is a distortion.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    A Captains performance. Totally dragged that team through tonight by the scruff of the neck. We really need some leaders in midfield to do the same, as we currently look very slow in that area of that park.
    Think your in the minority with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by JimboHibs View Post
    Aye some people have their eye painted on.

First Team Breakthrough
    Hanlon was fine didn't do anything wrong used the ball well and won the penalty. On Saturday he was culpable for neither goal. The back four over the previous three seasons has been the most dependable part of the team. The coach's tinkering has IMHO made us worse and dented confidence in that area. If it ain't broke etc

Testimonial Due
    So what did u see in our defence tonight ? Were they busy passing,tackling,pressing isn't that what u like to see or is that specifically for our midfield.

So what did u see in our defence tonight ? Were they busy passing,tackling,pressing isn't that what u like to see or is that specifically for our midfield.
    I thought Efe and Whitts were poor again. Hanlon constantly won header after header, and won almost all of his one on one tackles. In the second half especially he was constantly telling them what to do and where to pass. The Whitts signing looked great on paper but he's almost paceless now and was never the best tackler of a ball. His positional play was suspect for the majority of the game.

The only time we starting having a decent out ball to midfield was when Dylan came on, as he is one of the few who wants to get on the ball. Mcginns passing was brutal, Swanny had a couple of good phases but again looked slow to pick up, and Slivka just looked out of position. There was a real lack of width in the midfield. Bartley was like a man down.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    I thought Efe and Whitts were poor again. Hanlon constantly won header after header, and won almost all of his one on one tackles. In the second half especially he was constantly telling them what to do and where to pass. The Whitts signing looked great on paper but he's almost paceless now and was never the best tackler of a ball. His positional play was suspect for the majority of the game.

The only time we starting having a decent out ball to midfield was when Dylan came on, as he is one of the few who wants to get on the ball. Mcginns passing was brutal, Swanny had a couple of good phases but again looked slow to pick up, and Slivka just looked out of position. There was a real lack of width in the midfield. Bartley was like a man down.
    Bartley was very decent in my opinion, so was Swanson.

Won about 35 headers...covered for Calamity Ambrose... Not a bad night.
    Think that's very harsh on Ambrose. Would say most were alright tonight without any real terrible performance but we looked pretty shaky at the back when they came forward

I used to think that about you.

Then I realised that you just can't be objective.

You either like a player or dislike them, and then it doesn't really matter how they play, that seems to be irrelevant to you. Your going to dig out the players you dislike, and praise the ones you like no matter.

Funny thing is I genuinely think we would get a more accurate opinion on the team and players performances from people with eyes painted on than from you.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Bartley was very decent in my opinion, so was Swanson.
    Bartley was decent? You must be joking. He was very very poor. Stokes played very well, so did Lewis and McGeoch was the game changer.

Quote Originally Posted by sphibee View Post
    I used to think that about you.

Then I realised that you just can't be objective.

You either like a player or dislike them, and then it doesn't really matter how they play, that seems to be irrelevant to you. Your going to dig out the players you dislike, and praise the ones you like no matter.

Funny thing is I genuinely think we would get a more accurate opinion on the team and players performances from people with eyes painted on than from you.

Lewis Stevenson stood out a mile imo.

Testimonial Due

I agree with a lot of that not sure Hanlon had such a good game for the praise your giving him,not terrible but neither outstanding.FWIW I thought Livi took both goals well.

Dylan transformed the game. When he went on, players who were having poor games immediately started to look much, much better.

I thought Whitty was ok, better once Dylan was on.

I missed Efe's fun and games early on but I thought he was solid enough after I got in. Livi seemed to stand off him and give him ages, and he didn't ever seem to have any options on the ball, so he dropped it on the Livi CH's head 3 or 4 times. As soon as McGeouch went on Ambrose looked better, Hanlon looked better, McGinn looked better, Whittaker looked better, Stokes looked better, Stevenson looked better etc etc.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Boyler, and sub Dylan, and maybe Lewis were the only players that gave me my money's worth tonight.
    That was an average pub league game as far as quality goes. Poor fare.

You're an odd wee crab aren't you.