hibs.net Messageboard

Inconsistent refs

During Saturday's game Simon Murray was levelled by a barging challenge that was about as far from a shoulder charge as you can get, it was right in front of the ref and yet he didn't give a foul and allowed Motherwell to play on having gained possession as a result of the challenge, and yet in the same area of the pitch he penalised Bartley for a far clearer shoulder to shoulder challenge.

He booked Slivka for what was nothing more than a clash of heads where both players were equally committed to winning the ball and yet had allowed an at best reckless elbow on Ambrose to go unpunished minutes earlier.

In the Hamilton v Hearts game the Yams were awarded a penalty for the most innocuous challenge you will see, where the Hamilton player managed to get a foot in front of the cheating Hertz bassa and get the ball off him and yet in our game a clear trip on Stokes right in front of the ref was ignored .... the fact that he evened the score later by giving a penalty that never was is no excuse.

As for how the ref and the linesman could miss as clear a throw in to Partick as it was possible to be in the Thistle v The Rangers game, leading indirectly to the Sevco equaliser is anybody's guess.

Bloody refs !

2. Log in to remove the advert

The fact that unless they are massive errors there is no consequence when a ref or indeed a linesman gets it wrong or a linesman doesn't assist by making a decision right in front of their eyes !
    The impact they have means the continuous inconsistency and blatantly bad decisions need to have an outcome that means.that the official(s) learn from it and improve with bad decisions becoming less, you can never eradicate mistakes but the aim of amount the SFA or refs.governing body must be to reduce the amount instead of over protecting the officials ...they are very well paid people and should be held accountable for their decisions, part of which is to self develop and improve ...it must be one of the only jobs that has no real consequence for poor performance.

We've got Bobby Madden for the Livi game. I know some folk might disagree with me but I think he's the best on offer. Lets the game flow and doesn't try to make himself the centre of attention.

PS I'm sure he'll prove me wrong on all points now
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoasthibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The fact that unless they are massive errors there is no consequence when a ref or indeed a linesman gets it wrong or a linesman doesn't assist by making a decision right in front of their eyes !
    The impact they have means the continuous inconsistency and blatantly bad decisions need to have an outcome that means.that the official(s) learn from it and improve with bad decisions becoming less, you can never eradicate mistakes but the aim of amount the SFA or refs.governing body must be to reduce the amount instead of over protecting the officials ...they are very well paid people and should be held accountable for their decisions, part of which is to self develop and improve ...it must be one of the only jobs that has no real consequence for poor performance.
    Whatever happened to Raymond White, assistant ref that missed Leigh's over the line by miles goal?
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    I disagree that refs are inconsistent the ones I have seen this season have all been very consistent, unfortunately consistently 5h1te

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    The Motherwell player that was booked for a foul on Mcginn at the halfway line will be scratching his head as to why he got a yellow but Stokes got away with a talking to for a worse challenge in the second half.

And no booking for deliberate handball for the Motherwell player, and probably the most bizarre decision of the game, which was the free kick given to a Motherwell after play was stopped for a head knock.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    and probably the most bizarre decision of the game, which was the free kick given to a Motherwell after play was stopped for a head knock.
    This. The Well player injured himself going for a ball already dealt with and created his own injury. Ref only stopped when he saw him laid out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    We've got Bobby Madden for the Livi game. I know some folk might disagree with me but I think he's the best on offer. Lets the game flow and doesn't try to make himself the centre of attention.

PS I'm sure he'll prove me wrong on all points now
    The same Bobby madden who gave Hertz a penalty on Saturday for nothing, sighting a 'kick on the calf' when the Hamilton boys leg was in front of the hertz strikers!

First Team Breakthrough
    A ref is just like a fitba player, they have good and bad games. I wish all the hibs players were as consistent as we'd like the refs to be.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    This. The Well player injured himself going for a ball already dealt with and created his own injury. Ref only stopped when he saw him laid out.
    The bizzareness though was the ref decided no foul was committed and allowed play to continue with Hibs in possession, stopped play when he thought it was a head knock then gave Motherwell a free kick....mental!

Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    The same Bobby madden who gave Hertz a penalty on Saturday for nothing, sighting a 'kick on the calf' when the Hamilton boys leg was in front of the hertz strikers!
    I never said he was perfect!
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member tanfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Whatever happened to Raymond White, assistant ref that missed Leigh's over the line by miles goal?
    Probably went back to concentrating on the bowls at Burntisland....

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Refs are like Hibs players, you hope as professionals they will always make the right decisions, however they are inconsistent, over rated and nowhere near as good as we think they should be.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Booked4Being-Ugly View Post
    The bizzareness though was the ref decided no foul was committed and allowed play to continue with Hibs in possession, stopped play when he thought it was a head knock then gave Motherwell a free kick....mental!
    Looking at it on the tellybox I can only assume the assistant told him Whittaker had caught him with his arm/ hand. At the time it was indeed confusing. Most bizarre was Slivkas yellow. Nothing in that at all.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    One incident that hasn't been brought up yet (that I've seen) was in the first half, Ambrose cleared the ball from our box and was immediately flattened by a horrendous slide tackle. Nothing was given at all and Ambrose needed treatment. The sort of late lunge that elsewhere on the park would be a yellow card easily.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    One incident that hasn't been brought up yet (that I've seen) was in the first half, Ambrose cleared the ball from our box and was immediately flattened by a horrendous slide tackle. Nothing was given at all and Ambrose needed treatment. The sort of late lunge that elsewhere on the park would be a yellow card easily.
    That was a shocking challenge

Excuse me if it has been mentioned elsewhere but what about the 'hand of god' handball by, I think it was Moult, quite early on in the game?

Ignored completely by the ref and both linos. A cert booking, and if it was indeed Moult, should have meant his marching orders when he did get booked.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Refs are like Hibs players, you hope as professionals they will always make the right decisions, however they are inconsistent, over rated and nowhere near as good as we think they should be.
    Consistently inconsistent ...