hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Our best 11

Our best 11

Going through all the threads from this weekend and everyone seems to agree that Lennon and most of us fans aren't sure of our best 11 so if everyone's fit who would be your starting 11? In my opinion we play our best football when we play 3-5-2 so I'd go:

Marciano

Ambrose
    McGregor
    Hanlon

Whittaker
    McGinn
    Mcgeouch
    Slivka
    Stevenson

Murray
    Stokes

Tough leaving out Boyle bartley and gray, however first two games of the season I thought Whittaker and Stevenson played well at full back and got forward well and with a back 3 feel Whittaker offers more than gray attacking wise. Bartley yes is a good enforcer but with a back 3 again he doesn't offer enough on the ball.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by The young one View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Going through all the threads from this weekend and everyone seems to agree that Lennon and most of us fans aren't sure of our best 11 so if everyone's fit who would be your starting 11? In my opinion we play our best football when we play 3-5-2 so I'd go:

Marciano

Ambrose
    McGregor
    Hanlon

Whittaker
    McGinn
    Mcgeouch
    Slivka
    Stevenson

Murray
    Stokes

Tough leaving out Boyle bartley and gray, however first two games of the season I thought Whittaker and Stevenson played well at full back and got forward well and with a back 3 feel Whittaker offers more than gray attacking wise. Bartley yes is a good enforcer but with a back 3 again he doesn't offer enough on the ball.
    The team that played the zombies at ibrox (with that exact mentality) - every day of the week.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    I dont think its that simple to be honest. It depends on circumstance, who you are playing etc. The days of having a so called best eleven have gone I think. Its much more a squad game. The key point is selecting the right eleven (and tactics) for any given game.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    I dont think its that simple to be honest. It depends on circumstance, who you are playing etc. The days of having a so called best eleven have gone I think. Its much more a squad game. The key point is selecting the right eleven (and tactics) for any given game.
    I sometimes think that is the problem people over think football it is a simple game lets keep it simple.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    I sometimes think that is the problem people over think football it is a simple game lets keep it simple.
    Maybe mate but Im keeping to my view.

Marciano

Ambrose
    McGregor
    Hanlon

Whittaker
    McGinn
    Mcgeouch
    Slivka
    Stevenson

Murray
    Stokes

Probably mine as well, maybe Gray for Whittaker. So hard to leave out Boyle as well though...

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Indeed, which is why I would go 442 with what I think is a team made up of our best players, which incredibly for me doesn't at this time include Steven Whittaker or Danny Swanson.

Marciano ..... but as I said on another thread it will be Laidlaw if he puts in another performance like yesterday.

Gray ... McGregor ... Hanlon ... Stevenson

Boyle ... Slivka ... McGinn ... McGeouch

Murray ... Stokes

That team is impossible just now coz McGregor is injured, so it would have to be Ambrose instead of him .... but IMO it has enough forward going talent to worry any team and enough dig in midfield to win a battle if it comes to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    How many unenforced changes does McInnes make to the Aberdeen team ? I don't pay 100% attention to their team every game line up but it seems like a very similar line up every game ....we need to get consistency and players knowing how each other plays and only change with injury or drops in form !!!

Marciano

Ambrose
    McGregor
    Hanlon

Whittaker
    McGinn
    Mcgeouch
    Slivka
    Stevenson

Murray
    Stokes
    I agree with this and feel this is our best 11. It would also leave us plenty options from the bench. I don't think we can afford to leave McGeouch and Slivka on the bench tbh

Marciano

Gray
    McGregor
    Hanlon
    Stevenson

McGeouch
    McGinn
    Slivka
    Boyle

Murray
    Stokes

Testimonial Due
    i don't think we have a best 11. I think we have a squad with plenty options in midfield and defence to mix it up home and away. Example against rangers away 3 centre half are essential, unfortunately this results in boyle missing out. who i think is one of our most important players with his pace.

If it was an edinburgh derby at tynecastle, or away to celtic aberdeen rangers etc my team would be

Marciano

Ambrose, McGregor, Hanlon

Gray, Bartley Mcgeough, Mcginn, Stevenson

Stokes Murray

But at home to teams i think we should set up

Marciano

Gray McGregor Hanlon Stevenson

Boyle Mcginn Bartley Mcgeough

Stokes Murray

Personally I don't favour Whittaker, and feel he is now past it, don't understand why we gave him a 3 year deal or why there was excitement of his return. He's not the whittaker i remember. Just my opinion. I just think he looks his age now, his pace is gone. Scottish Cup winning fullbacks for me imo.

Our best 11 of the season so far for me would be

Rocky

Gray Porteous Hanlon Stevenson

Bartley McGeough

Boyle McGinn Stokes

Murray

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoasthibby View Post
    How many unenforced changes does McInnes make to the Aberdeen team ? I don't pay 100% attention to their team every game line up but it seems like a very similar line up every game ....we need to get consistency and players knowing how each other plays and only change with injury or drops in form !!!
    Aberdeen had 11 players that started 20 plus league games last year - A goalie, 4/5 defenders 4/5 midfielders including two wide players and a big man up top. Not sure where you would class the likes of Shinnie as he is described as a defender but plays mostly in midfield. 6 of those started 30 plus. Safe to say they had a very settled formation. They also replaced players with similar type players. Hayes out Christie in and made a great signing in Stevie May.

I think our biggest problem is we have good players but not necessarily a very good team. Injuries haven't helped but we don't seem to have had any consistency in selection. It's fine having competition but security also counts for players. The biggest thing for me though is teams that are settled build up responsibility, trust and understanding. To me those are qualities missing in our team at the moment. If I were Lennon I would try to find a system where his key players are playing in their favoured positions and stick with it for a few weeks as much as possible. If he thinks two wingers is the way to go then start the same formation again and just change one or two if they have played so badly that dropping them is inevitable.

I would probably go with below but Whittaker would be a very close call with Gray. Although Swanson hasn't been great he gets shots away and has been involved in quite a few goals. He also comes into the middle which we need when Stokes goes wandering wide.

Laidlaw

Whittaker McGregor Hanlon Stevenson

Boyle SJM Slivka Swanson

Murray Stokes

No idea of 11 but build team around triangle mcginn dylan stokes in front. Three best players

I think it's horses for courses depending on the opposition and venue. However would love to

Rocky

Fontaine
    McGregor
    Hamlin

Boyle
    McGeough
    McGinn
    Slivka
    Barker

Stokes
    Murray

Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    I think it's horses for courses depending on the opposition and venue. However would love to

Rocky

Fontaine
    McGregor
    Hamlin

Boyle
    McGeough
    McGinn
    Slivka
    Barker

Stokes
    Murray
    Hanlon even

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Aberdeen had 11 players that started 20 plus league games last year - A goalie, 4/5 defenders 4/5 midfielders including two wide players and a big man up top. Not sure where you would class the likes of Shinnie as he is described as a defender but plays mostly in midfield. 6 of those started 30 plus. Safe to say they had a very settled formation. They also replaced players with similar type players. Hayes out Christie in and made a great signing in Stevie May.

I think our biggest problem is we have good players but not necessarily a very good team. Injuries haven't helped but we don't seem to have had any consistency in selection. It's fine having competition but security also counts for players. The biggest thing for me though is teams that are settled build up responsibility, trust and understanding. To me those are qualities missing in our team at the moment. If I were Lennon I would try to find a system where his key players are playing in their favoured positions and stick with it for a few weeks as much as possible. If he thinks two wingers is the way to go then start the same formation again and just change one or two if they have played so badly that dropping them is inevitable.

I would probably go with below but Whittaker would be a very close call with Gray. Although Swanson hasn't been great he gets shots away and has been involved in quite a few goals. He also comes into the middle which we need when Stokes goes wandering wide.

Laidlaw

Whittaker McGregor Hanlon Stevenson

Boyle SJM Slivka Swanson

Murray Stokes
    Some very good points made, although good luck in getting consensus on any team selection.

What needs to be addressed though, is how we appear to succumb to physical bullying.

We can have 11 superb fitba players on the park, but they have to deal with the physical side of the game or we will continue to get knocked off our stride.