hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    For me as a hibs fan it's the best footballing song in the world.

From a neutral perspective though I've no idea where it ranks as (outwith the mainstream clubs in the UK) I know very little of other clubs and their anthems from around the world.

Absolute tune it is but

2. Log in to remove the advert

Whenever I hear the Liverpool fans belting out YNWA it gives me goosebumps.

It's an emotional song and when you consider some of the stuff Liverpool as a club and a support have been through, it is the only song of another club that affects me in any way.

I f*****g hate that Celtic have nicked it and it annoys me intensely when they sing it. There is no history, no emotional attachment, nothing. It' embarrassing that a big club who should be able to have something emotional or meaningful of their own can't or won't.

It's hard to comment on SoL. Of course we're all going to love it.

Quote Originally Posted by AZhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No!

Best in world!!!!!!
    Indeed!

Lots of good club anthems. SoL is certainly one of the best although it is comparatively new.

West Ham - I'm forever blowing bubbles (1920s) I heard that strike up at the Boleyn Ground in 1964 and it was quite moving
    Birmingham City - Keep right on to the end of the road (1956)
    Liverpool - You'll never walk alone (1963)

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    What I like about SoL is that we don't wheel it out every week.

The contrived sentimentality at Anfield every home game would really get on my t!ts.

Will be great wheeling it out when we make it in to the Champions League.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Lots of good club anthems. SoL is certainly one of the best although it is comparatively new.

West Ham - I'm forever blowing bubbles (1920s) I heard that strike up at the Boleyn Ground in 1964 and it was quite moving
    Birmingham City - Keep right on to the end of the road (1956)
    Liverpool - You'll never walk alone (1963)
    Brighton fans singing Good Old Sussex by the Sea is excellent also. Like us, that song is also pertinent to the club, the others, even including YNWA really have minimal relevance.

Quote Originally Posted by 18Hibee75 View Post
    After seeing a post on Facebook from an English football page that had sunshine on leith as their number one football anthem in Britain, unbiased opinions please but does anyone disagree with that and rate YNWA higher? Brilliant that we have a song like sol which is known by a lot of football fans all round Britain.
    Unique song sung after game not during. Cant think any other songs that can rival other than Blue Moon at Man City or bubbles West Ham but SOL better than both

It's all a matter of taste and opinion. No one club song is better than another as they exist to reaffirm the devotion of the fans' special relationship with their teams.

Crystal palace sing glad all over, which is very good

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    I well up just thinking about it... So that'll be a 'yes' from me

Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post

That's the one.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    For me as a hibs fan it's the best footballing song in the world.

From a neutral perspective though I've no idea where it ranks as (outwith the mainstream clubs in the UK) I know very little of other clubs and their anthems from around the world.

Absolute tune it is but

I can help with that

The biggest Football Magazine in Germany (11 Freunde) once did a whole article just on SoL("I've got Goosebumps") . They were really generous in their praise of the song and the emotion from the fans when singing it, with special reference to the 2007 League cup Win.

Here's my post about it at the time...

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?2...ht=elf+freunde

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    I think thats a bit unfair about Anfield and lets face it most teams would churn out their anthem every game but I do get the giste of what you are saying, it keeps it very special, its actually very emotional (not saying YNWA isnt for Liverpool fans). My brother comes up for a few Hibs matches with me as and when he can, normally gets to 2/3/4 matches a season but hes never actualy heard SOL sung at a match!!

That's why they play it every time at Anfield - so all the plastic fans can take their selfies and hold their half and half scarves above their heads and bang on about how AMAZING it is to sing YNWA.

I'm a big Stone Roses fan but playing 'This is the one' at every Old Trafford fixture riles me too.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    What I like about SoL is that we don't wheel it out every week.

The contrived sentimentality at Anfield every home game would really get on my t!ts.
    Yeah okay then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Not forgetting their "Europe"song too. The Proclaimers are probably on the verge of splitting up over constantly blaming each other for the failure to come up with a song that rhymes "Europe" with "spew up" before the jumbos managed it.
    That's a point. WTF is that all about? I mean every set of fans has a song which, although fun for them to sing, you'd not put in your match programme...but that mob did! First time I ever knew what words they used was when I was reading it at half time back in 2000 and Tynie. I refused to watch their 'celebrations' for winning the U-21 league or whatever it was. Oh, and whilst I'm ranting, the same page also had (IIRC) a made up 'East of Scotland League' which had them at the top and Dunfermline, Raith, us, Falkirk and Livi on it.
    Boo!

@hibs.net private member
    I think any stadium full and fans singing their own club song will be special to them. YNWA is sung to frequently by both Liverpool & Celtic but it is great at big matches. But SOL seems to have struck accord with fans of many clubs and the fact it's only done at the end of big games means it's alway electric

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Yeah okay then.

I'm at it - a bit - but do you not agree that YNWA has now become a marketing device for the Liverpool 'brand'?

Obviously it does have a special resonance for Liverpool fans (and can be spine-tingling) but often it can feel like they are going through the motions.

I'm at it - a bit - but do you not agree that YNWA has now become a marketing device for the Liverpool 'brand'?

Obviously it does have a special resonance for Liverpool fans (and can be spine-tingling) but often it can feel like they are going through the motions.
    No I don't,it's always been sung at every game as long as I've been going since I was a kid. So although there is undoubtedly a worldwide attendance at every game, YNWA is not sung to please them, it's sung because it always is.

There's no way that YNWA is contrived just because Liverpool fans sing it every fortnight. It's their song and their 'feeling'.

It was the first real passionate anthem to emerge exclusively for a set of football fans that belonged locally to them and was pretty awe inspiring watching it being sung in the 60's and 70's and so on. There was absolutely nothing like it anywhere for any club that I can ever recall. It belongs solely to them and no one else. Everyone wanted and still wants a YNWA - even foreign fans of big clubs.

We are so lucky to have SOL now though and for me, it's a better song, melody, and it's got an incredibly intimate lyric about love and life. But then I'm obviously biased because it's ours.!

Both amazing anthems will endure long after we are all gone. (Cheery thought.!)

SOL is such a beautiful song. And know it's a FA cup song but hearing Abide with me gives me goosebumps too.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    Without a shadow of a doubt.

I'm forever blowing bubbles. What the hell is that all about? Was it written by Michael Jackson?

You cheeky monkey!

@hibs.net private member cheltenhamhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Whenever I hear the Liverpool fans belting out YNWA it gives me goosebumps.

It's an emotional song and when you consider some of the stuff Liverpool as a club and a support have been through, it is the only song of another club that affects me in any way.

I f*****g hate that Celtic have nicked it and it annoys me intensely when they sing it. There is no history, no emotional attachment, nothing. It' embarrassing that a big club who should be able to have something emotional or meaningful of their own can't or won't.

It's hard to comment on SoL. Of course we're all going to love it.
    Liverpool nicked it as well, it was first sung at Old Trafford after the Munich air disaster

Quote Originally Posted by cheltenhamhibee View Post
    Liverpool nicked it as well, it was first sung at Old Trafford after the Munich air disaster
    Nonsense, some Manc granny on the wind up talking pish. Nice try from her but no cigar.

@hibs.net private member hibee_nation's Avatar
    Munich air disaster 1958 song released 1963 think an early example of fake news here.
    45 AND RISING

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Nonsense, some Manc granny on the wind up talking pish. Nice try from her but no cigar.
    Candle in the Wind, however, was first sung at the funeral of George VI.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee_nation View Post
    Munich air disaster 1958 song released 1963 think an early example of fake news here.
    The song itself goes back to 1945.
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 19-09-2017 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_nation View Post
    YNWA was written in the 1940s
    Many famous artists/singers covered the song before the Gerry and the Pacemakers version (1963)
    Maybe it was sung by United fans after the Munich Tragedy.

The Liverpool Kop would also belt out Beatles hits back in the early sixties.
    Gerry Marsden comes along with YNWA and the rest is history.

It is and always will be a Liverpool anthem..

Sunshine on Leith is unique.
    Its ours alone and without bias it stands out against any football "anthem" ,anywhere !
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 19-09-2017 at 07:24 AM.

Seems that YNWA is our only (distant) rival and one or two honorable mentions for Bubbles.

Disappointed nobody has mentioned 'Hearts Glorious Hearts', I love the plucky 'wee team' defiance of that song. "There's a wee fitba team who will ey make its mark..." It says that you don't have to have a big stadium or pitch or your own training facilities or even a completed stand to dance with the big boys. So refreshing in this day and age with its vulgar obsession with scale and size.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Seems that YNWA is our only (distant) rival and one or two honorable mentions for Bubbles.

Disappointed nobody has mentioned 'Hearts Glorious Hearts', I love the plucky 'wee team' defiance of that song. "There's a wee fitba team who will ey make its mark..." It says that you don't have to have a big stadium or pitch or your own training facilities or even a completed stand to dance with the big boys. So refreshing in this day and age with its vulgar obsession with scale and size.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    A few years back watching FC Koln we were pretty impressed with the club song belted out as the teams took to the pitch. It went to the tune of "Loch Lomond" and all four sides of the ground were joining in. No idea of of the background to this, or the lyrics they use, but it made for an impressive sight.