hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    just listened to NL's interview, i'm actually begining to really like him now...says it how it is a f*** up by rocky lets them right back in it, then we play like wee 12 year old laddies (like against Hamilton), no leadership, unacceptable....so what's the answer ? one ****** lousy point at home to Hamilton accies and Murrawell...
    He forgets it his team, his tactics and he's responsible- cannae blame other folk now. Never his fault. Sorry Neil, today is down to you - stop tinkering and pick your best (fit) players in the right positions.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Today was odd. Players were bickering with each other everywhere, and we looked completely disjointed. Hopefully it was just a bad day and there was nothing to read into.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedantic_Hibee View Post
    First thread I've opened since full time. And the last.

I'll be back in a few days once the rockets have disappeared.
    I concur. I am not happy with today's result but the morons slating Barker and Matulevicius clearly are at it. There was far worse than them today.

@hibs.net private member Arch Stanton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Celtic are the only good team. The rest are just different shades of bang average.
    You've managed to desparage a very competitive league - bottom two teams earn points against 2nd and 3rd teams - why is that so awful?

Quote Originally Posted by cleanyman View Post
    He doesn't know his best team as yet and it's killing us.

Defensively were are absolutely woeful. Seriously bad.

Motherwell can count themselves unlucky they didn't walk away with all three.

As for Barker ? This is the big league pal. Get used to it.
    You need to give credit to Motherwell for turning things round. Until we went 2-0 up they looked like a Craig Levein team on steroids - big, physical and long ball/quick breaks. We were dealing with that OK. But once they started taking the game to us (because they had to) they looked a decent side. Barker was great in the first half and also for our second goal so not sure what you mean by that comment?

He's hardly clueless but he certainly hasn't found his best team yet and we're not quite as good as I thought we would be so far.

Defensively we're all over the shop at times but there's certainly nothing to worry about.

Based on what I've seen so far, I think we may need to revise our expectations a wee bit. I think top six is a much more realistic target than top four.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwich_Hibby View Post
    He forgets it his team, his tactics and he's responsible- cannae blame other folk now. Never his fault. Sorry Neil, today is down to you - stop tinkering and pick your best (fit) players in the right positions.

you're right and good points, but why are the players we have not up for the fight, motherwell eventually started playing like barcelona where we just simply couldn't get the ball of them, imo the players thought it was job done when we went 2 goals up

Quote Originally Posted by SRH View Post
    Today was odd. Players were bickering with each other everywhere, and we looked completely disjointed. Hopefully it was just a bad day and there was nothing to read into.
    We also managed to play very well for spells though. We looked very threatening going forward for much of the first half, we had some very good individual performances. Our defence actually knocked it about really nicely under pressure at times, whilst looking like we might lose a goal every time the ball went near our box.

It wasn't all bad, but a lot of it certainly was.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    you're right and good points, but why are the players we have not up for the fight, motherwell eventually started playing like barcelona where we just simply couldn't get the ball of them, imo the players thought it was job done when we went 2 goals up
    Fair points - if they have no internal motivation and can't get it from the boss, then we have an issue. Time for the senior pro's to earn their corn. If they can't, then get rid.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    As I already said, was asked a question and answered it. Not really reminiscing. Also, the press conferences are available for free on YouTube (published by Hibs). Keep trying though.
    It becomes reminiscing when he doesn't give blank "not interested discussing this" response. He purposely gives anecdotal evidence of Celtic being able to pull off big results and even encouraged discussions of Celtic through his willingness to discuss them. If I remember correctly he had to be interrupted and brought back to Hibs with "sorry Neil any information regarding injuries etc.?" or something to that effect. Available free? That's even worse, why should UK members pay for HibsTV subscription then? I've cancelled my subscription after those ridiculous pre-match conferences. Keep trying what? Stop us becoming the mini-Celtic perhaps? I'm not sure what I'm perceived as "trying".

I find it poor that half of a Hibs pre-match conference was spent talking about Celtic. Really not sure why you don't...when we play Celtic will the full pre-match conference be about them?

@hibs.net private member
    I always think there are a few signs to look out for when judging a Manager.

Are we organised. I saw a very good, albeit not original, free kick at the start of the second half and a good run from Hanlon, that was clearly planned, where we got a header at the back post. Apart from that we were marked tight at throw ins and gave the ball away or into bad situations regularly. We pretty much don't mark at throw ins and allow players huge amounts of space to receive the ball. We are far to far off the opposition all around the pitch. The zone system employed at set pieces allows players to run pretty much unchallenged to the back post and doesn't handle any decent ball falling inbetween the zone. Murray had the ball for our Pen, was he meant to be taking it before Stokes grabbed it. Not sure who our corner taker is as STokes decides to take them sometimes. Our defensive line is all over the place and I have no idea who is meant to be setting our line as we often have Hanlon pushing out as Effe drops in. Whittaker and SDG are often found 5 yards behind the CBs. The line can be excused a wee bit as the positions have been changed so often its no wonder they look like they hardly know each other. The first five minutes of games look like we have no game plan whatsoever and we look a complete shambles. If we have kick off we should know exactly what we are going to do for the first move of the game. We look like we make it up at the centre spot.

Heart/Bottle Bit of a mixed report card for the team on this imo. We do seem to have a bit of heart and show reasonable levels of effort but we lack leadership when the chips are down and we are more than capable of complete collapses. We also started the season pressing teams high up the park and hunting in packs but now we seem to be sitting off and giving them the freedom of Easter Road.

Tactics - I actually think the tactics in the first half would have worked brilliantly last year where we played a stuffy, boring, often hoofball style. To be fair we went 2-0 up so they were far from a disaster but Motherwell looked very dangerous today at all times and when we went 2-0 up I think I would have got an extra body in the middle of the park to keep possession better. Our subs more often than not make us worse and when we change shape it rarely seems to work. Motherwell pushed another body up top today and we completely failed to react and looked panic stricken because our shape just wasn't working.

I have the same opinion of Lennon as when he was announced. I have no idea if he will work out or not. I think a 3 year contract is a huge gamble based on his performance so far. However, we are a couple of games away from him creeping up to an above average record or a couple of games away from a bit of a crisis. At the moment we are exactly what we were last year - bang average. His signings haven't been great again but that could change as the season wears on. The one thing I do like this season, more to do with the league than Lennon, is that at least the games are interesting. This year we have also stopped playing hoofball which is a great relief. I do have a concern over the loyalty Lennon shows some players. I saw him today lose the plot at Hanlon, our best defender on the day, for playing a floated pass that we ended up getting a throw in from. It wasn't a great ball but no harm done. I watch him when Stokes makes no effort or when Whittaker looks lazy or Ambrose does something ridiculous and he doesn't get nearly as animated. He was the same with Holt last year. It was almost as if Holt was the manager at times. He seems to have huge respect for those who have had great careers. As far as I am concerned those careers are behind them and the only thing that counts is what they do at Hibs. In fact with their experience I would be more inclined to be tearing a strip off them.

To sum up we have an average manager, he is not a winner he is more of a middle drawer, overseeing an average team in an average league. I suspect we will finish in an average position, 6th or 7th, but spend a good deal more than average and have a far bigger home crowd than average. To be honest for our first season back anything that doesn't involve a relegation battle will not be a disaster. He is often said to get Hibs. Well in my 40 odd years of watching, on average we have been an under-performing team, rarely well organised, often a bit soft in the centre and very inconsistent, we have the occasional dazzling display and some truly awful ones. In Lennon's time he has certainly proved he gets Hibs.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    Question for folk who are raging - realistically, where should we be at this stage in the season?

Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    Question for folk who are raging - realistically, where should we be at this stage in the season?
    We are actually unlucky not to be further ahead, good performances against Saints and before that Dundee. Today was rotten!

@hibs.net private member
    We have the 4th or 5th biggest budget. We should be around 4th or 5th. We are within striking distance of that but I think we have had a relatively easy start to the season as we still have Aberdeen, Hearts and The Rangers still to play. We now have a bit of a centre half injury crisis which may not help. If we can win on Tuesday I think it could give us a great lift. That is in no way certain though.

I'm not raging but I don't think it's unrealistic to be beating Hamilton at home and holding on to a 2 goal lead at home v Motherwell. Draws away at St Johnstone and Dundee are arguably good results that could and should have been better.

We have 2 really tough away games coming up before facing Aberdeen at home. A tougher run of games than we have just had imo. It's not difficult to get into a bit of a rut in this league and start sliding down the league. It's why winning when we are on top is so important.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    Barker, Whittaker and matyviciluis whatever the spelling is god awful.
    barker was not awful

@hibs.net private member
    Barker was the best player on the park in the first half by a country mile. I would have taken him off instead of Boyle though as he faded out the game completely and is nowhere near as good as Boyle off the ball

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    Not being humped by Hamilton at home and chucking a 2-0 lead at home.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    We have the 4th or 5th biggest budget. We should be around 4th or 5th. We are within striking distance of that but I think we have had a relatively easy start to the season as we still have Aberdeen, Hearts and The Rangers still to play. We now have a bit of a centre half injury crisis which may not help. If we can win on Tuesday I think it could give us a great lift. That is in no way certain though.
    Funny... I thought we beat The Rangers 3-2 at Castle Greyskull already 😂

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    This place is ****ing nuts sometimes. I'd hate to work at Hibs and be tasked with incremental improvement whilst keeping a bunch of folk with unrealistic expectations onside.

We've just been promoted and lost once in eleven games. Yet Lennon is the one being labelled 'clueless'!

We've been out of the SPL for three years; it's going to take a while to acclimatise to a tough match every week, and that includes the manger. Lennon isn't perfect: if he was, he wouldn't be at Hibs, but we need to be realistic. Steady improvement is the key now. We'll improve as the season unfolds, and it will take good sides to finish above us. Lennon will learn along with the players.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    4 points out of 9 at home to

partick thistle
    Hamilton Accies
    Motherwell

it's like going back to the old days before our stint in the championship

sigh

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwich_Hibby View Post
    Genius idea. Why not write him a letter.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    Don't think it's harsh at all. He's been rubbish since he arrived and "Big Dave" looks a poor mans Brian Graham.
    he hasnt been rubbish so dont talk garbage

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    It becomes reminiscing when he doesn't give blank "not interested discussing this" response. He purposely gives anecdotal evidence of Celtic being able to pull off big results and even encouraged discussions of Celtic through his willingness to discuss them. If I remember correctly he had to be interrupted and brought back to Hibs with "sorry Neil any information regarding injuries etc.?" or something to that effect. Available free? That's even worse, why should UK members pay for HibsTV subscription then? I've cancelled my subscription after those ridiculous pre-match conferences. Keep trying what? Stop us becoming the mini-Celtic perhaps? I'm not sure what I'm perceived as "trying".

I find it poor that half of a Hibs pre-match conference was spent talking about Celtic. Really not sure why you don't...when we play Celtic will the full pre-match conference be about them?
    Answering a question is not reminiscing.
    Hibs and Lennon do not control what questions the media ask him.

I don’t think Hibs pre match press conferences should be spent talking about Celtic but I prefer to blame those actually responsible for the questions instead of Neil Lennon.

This forum has a lot of ****ing roasters on it. Embarrassing

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Going by this board tonight we have a clueless manager and a load of average or rubbish players.

How are we expected to win every game if this is the case?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    Funny... I thought we beat The Rangers 3-2 at Castle Greyskull already 😂
    Celtc of course. Anyways we have had an easier start than quite a few of our rivals

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    I always think there are a few signs to look out for when judging a Manager.

Are we organised. I saw a very good, albeit not original, free kick at the start of the second half and a good run from Hanlon, that was clearly planned, where we got a header at the back post. Apart from that we were marked tight at throw ins and gave the ball away or into bad situations regularly. We pretty much don't mark at throw ins and allow players huge amounts of space to receive the ball. We are far to far off the opposition all around the pitch. The zone system employed at set pieces allows players to run pretty much unchallenged to the back post and doesn't handle any decent ball falling inbetween the zone. Murray had the ball for our Pen, was he meant to be taking it before Stokes grabbed it. Not sure who our corner taker is as STokes decides to take them sometimes. Our defensive line is all over the place and I have no idea who is meant to be setting our line as we often have Hanlon pushing out as Effe drops in. Whittaker and SDG are often found 5 yards behind the CBs. The line can be excused a wee bit as the positions have been changed so often its no wonder they look like they hardly know each other. The first five minutes of games look like we have no game plan whatsoever and we look a complete shambles. If we have kick off we should know exactly what we are going to do for the first move of the game. We look like we make it up at the centre spot.

Heart/Bottle Bit of a mixed report card for the team on this imo. We do seem to have a bit of heart and show reasonable levels of effort but we lack leadership when the chips are down and we are more than capable of complete collapses. We also started the season pressing teams high up the park and hunting in packs but now we seem to be sitting off and giving them the freedom of Easter Road.

Tactics - I actually think the tactics in the first half would have worked brilliantly last year where we played a stuffy, boring, often hoofball style. To be fair we went 2-0 up so they were far from a disaster but Motherwell looked very dangerous today at all times and when we went 2-0 up I think I would have got an extra body in the middle of the park to keep possession better. Our subs more often than not make us worse and when we change shape it rarely seems to work. Motherwell pushed another body up top today and we completely failed to react and looked panic stricken because our shape just wasn't working.

I have the same opinion of Lennon as when he was announced. I have no idea if he will work out or not. I think a 3 year contract is a huge gamble based on his performance so far. However, we are a couple of games away from him creeping up to an above average record or a couple of games away from a bit of a crisis. At the moment we are exactly what we were last year - bang average. His signings haven't been great again but that could change as the season wears on. The one thing I do like this season, more to do with the league than Lennon, is that at least the games are interesting. This year we have also stopped playing hoofball which is a great relief. I do have a concern over the loyalty Lennon shows some players. I saw him today lose the plot at Hanlon, our best defender on the day, for playing a floated pass that we ended up getting a throw in from. It wasn't a great ball but no harm done. I watch him when Stokes makes no effort or when Whittaker looks lazy or Ambrose does something ridiculous and he doesn't get nearly as animated. He was the same with Holt last year. It was almost as if Holt was the manager at times. He seems to have huge respect for those who have had great careers. As far as I am concerned those careers are behind them and the only thing that counts is what they do at Hibs. In fact with their experience I would be more inclined to be tearing a strip off them.

To sum up we have an average manager, he is not a winner he is more of a middle drawer, overseeing an average team in an average league. I suspect we will finish in an average position, 6th or 7th, but spend a good deal more than average and have a far bigger home crowd than average. To be honest for our first season back anything that doesn't involve a relegation battle will not be a disaster. He is often said to get Hibs. Well in my 40 odd years of watching, on average we have been an under-performing team, rarely well organised, often a bit soft in the centre and very inconsistent, we have the occasional dazzling display and some truly awful ones. In Lennon's time he has certainly proved he gets Hibs.
    I Agree with pretty much all this Wookie, we start games as if the players have never met before, and we don't learn from mistakes. It was clear today we lost the midfield for most parts of the first half from early on, and never changed anything until it was 2 - 1. Lets not kid ourselves we were very lucky to have been 2 - 0 up. McGinn sits far to deep for some reason, duplicating the role of Barclay, I remember him pre Lennon days, bursting forward attacking the opposition, Lennnon is turning him into a Scott Brown which is not his game. No one pressed Motherwell when they had the ball, we only dropped deeper inviting them to us. Today when I arrived the teams were going through the score board, I thought a few good positive changes, then noticed that was the bench!! all our ball players sitting the start out? I feel for the likes of S Murray he wasn't given a sniff not because of the defending but the lack of creativity from us.

We have an above average team on paper but playing less than average on the pitch, Rocky, Whittaker and McGinn need to give themselves a big shake, Lennon has been showing them some incredible loyalty, despite dropping others who have made less errors.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    Answering a question is not reminiscing.
    Hibs and Lennon do not control what questions the media ask him.

I don’t think Hibs pre match press conferences should be spent talking about Celtic but I prefer to blame those actually responsible for the questions instead of Neil Lennon.
    Answering a question does become reminiscing when he states "we" and talks of his days with Celtic. He was asked if great Scottish results in Europe would happen again and he goes on to talk about "we" and so on. Sorry but that is going further than answering a question - "Yes, we're playing Motherwell tomorrow though, not much of an European tie - can we please keep this on topic?" would've answered the question and encouraged a change in topic.

I do blame the shocking journalists but lets be honest Hibs and Lennon could reject the questions. I've seen other managers reject inappropriate questions many many times. Being asked about Celtic before an important match at home is inappropriate. We weren't playing Celtic so why is Lennon being asked about them? And why is he all too happy to answer? He is Hibs manager, sometimes I think he loses grasp of that when talking to the media.
    Last edited by madhatter; 16-09-2017 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    Our manager is far from clueless. The sooner people realise that there are many good teams in this league, the better. So many on here laugh at the Jambos' sense of entitlement and yet seem to expect us to walkover good teams after being out of the league for three years.

The last two away games we comprehensively outplayed the opposition and drew - today we had good spells but were probably lucky to get a point given how good Motherwell were.

We are still finding our feet, but we are competitive and the performance levels have been pretty good. Given the reasonable points return we've had so far, I don't see much need to worry.

There are some concerns certainly, and we're not beyond criticism, but I think we are far more likely to improve than get worse. And we have plenty time to do that.
    Shh. Less of that sensible chat when there is frothing to be had.