hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough
    We don't have a divine right to just turn up and expect 3 points in this league. As we've found out to our cost teams in this league can happily soak up possession then have the quality to hurt us on the break. If we want to win games we need to be more solid and composed at the back and have more quality going forward to break teams down. McGinn is good at running with the ball but he's got to learn Riley the ball do the work more and play simple passes

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think a few fans are beginning to realise that we aren't as good as they'd like to think. Especially at the back.

Loads of people were giving me pelters for this last week because I dared to suggest that we're not as good as some of us thought we were.

I wonder what their opinion is this week.

If we play Bartley and McGinn I feel we should also start McGeouch/Swanson for their creativity. We didn't sign Whitty to sit on the bench but I feel his signing has upset the balance of the team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lennon is not clueless. Ridiculous talk.

He is making some mistakes and is not without blame for some of the things that are not quite working for us right now.

Hopefully he will notice this, be aware of this, and do what is required to improve our fortunes, and soon.

I was going to come onto this site and have a hot-heated rant. When I saw "Lennon:clueless" it made me realise that what I was going to have was not really a hot-headed rant at all......
    Last edited by Smartie; 16-09-2017 at 05:45 PM.

We have only lost one game so far this season. Get some perspective.

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLA View Post
    If we play Bartley and McGinn I feel we should also start McGeouch/Swanson for their creativity. We didn't sign Whitty to sit on the bench but I feel his signing has upset the balance of the team?

We might not have signed him not to play but everyone should earn their place and on recent forum he should be no where near the starting 11

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreenside View Post
    Nonsense, mcginn constantly giving the ball away means we will get outplayed
    Mcginn just needs to keep things simple! Overplays at times

First Team Breakthrough hibsitis's Avatar
    Mark of a manager is whether he outperforms his budget. Did he do it last season? Is he doing it this season? I don't buy this bedding in argument. All these players are more than capable at this level and if anything has come as a surprise to them, who takes responsibility for that?

@hibs.net private member
    Thought we were crying out for an extra man in midfield today. The big Dave for Murray sub at 2-0 was also a strange one for me.

We are Simply not good enough to have Stokes Murray Barker and Boyle in the starting 11.
    McGeoch must be found a place in the team.
    Whittiker was very poor McGinn was only poor.
    Dave offers nothing okay it is a tough to come on then but he looks clueless.
    Rocky is a disaster waiting to happen gives the defence no confidence.

The whole team struggled today our ball retention was woeful.

Lennon will have to earn his wages, because the earlier poster is correct he does not know his best team

No question we have the personnel, not convinced we're getting the best out of them.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    What annoys me is the pre-match conferences, Lennon has probably talked about Rangers incident and Celtic for about 20mins+ so far this season. For the manager of Hibs, I think this honestly shows a lack of focus on the job at hand. The latest conference...he talked for 4 minutes about Celtic and their chances in Europe etc.

Also, our defence is really bad. Strangely I don't blame Hanlon and Efe the most. Gray and Whittaker just doesn't work. Both are so slow getting back and so many long balls were played behind them and they just couldn't get back.

I'd drop Efe and Whittaker for the next game though.

We drew this game because Bartley and McGinn faded in the middle and we backed off almost into a back 8 while defending.

I'd try this against Livingston:

Laidlaw

Gray Porteous Hanlon Stevenson

McGeouch Slivka McGinn

Barker Matulevicius Boyle

We need to get the Lithuanian lads playing.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsfan View Post
    Once again lennon costs us with ridiculous tactics at 2/1
    pish comment! pish thread! dont need to say anything further!

Quote Originally Posted by JJP View Post
    We have only lost one game so far this season. Get some perspective.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    What annoys me is the pre-match conferences, Lennon has probably talked about Rangers incident and Celtic for about 20mins+ so far this season. For the manager of Hibs, I think this honestly shows a lack of focus on the job at hand. The latest conference...he talked for 4 minutes about Celtic and their chances in Europe etc.

Also, our defence is really bad. Strangely I don't blame Hanlon and Efe the most. Gray and Whittaker just doesn't work. Both are so slow getting back and so many long balls were played behind them and they just couldn't get back.

I'd drop Efe and Whittaker for the next game though.

We drew this game because Bartley and McGinn faded in the middle and we backed off almost into a back 8 while defending.

I'd try this against Livingston:

Laidlaw

Gray Porteous Hanlon Stevenson

McGeouch Slivka McGinn

Barker Matulevicius Boyle

We need to get the Lithuanian lads playing.
    To be fair, he is constantly asked about Celtic and Rangers during his press conferences.

Quote Originally Posted by Billychaotic182 View Post
    Hold on, Barker is far from awful. Very harsh. Plus has big Davie even had a proper chance. Bit of a daft comment
    Don't think it's harsh at all. He's been rubbish since he arrived and "Big Dave" looks a poor mans Brian Graham.

Barker and Boyle can't play together. Leaves centre mid badly exposed. Start one and bring the other one on late in the second half. Need McGeogh back in the midfield.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    That's twice this season we've folded at ER in the 2nd half.

I'd like to question the player's fitness and game management.

People have every right to say we've only lost 1 game this season but how we've disappeared in the 2nd half twice this season is concerning. Especially since I viewed Motherwell as nothing more than a robust team that continually fouled in the air and committed deliberate handballs etc.

The midfield combination of Boyle-Bartley-McGinn-Barker doesn't work because there is limited creativity in the midfield. Teams know that they can press McGinn to slow us down as he will try to muscle his way free, which takes time.

I'd like to see us try 4-3-3, with McGeouch replacing Boyle and Barker playing as part of a front three. We would then be able to bring Boyle's pace on against tiring opponents.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    Don't think it's harsh at all. He's been rubbish since he arrived and "Big Dave" looks a poor mans Brian Graham.
    Barker was best player on the park first half...imagine if we have a left back who could over lap!!

@hibs.net private member
    Right firstly let me start with saying I think we are lucky to have Lennon as our manager.

Now my take on things WTF are we doing to address the back post goals we are conceding? Granted today's first goal should have been punched ( at least ) by rocky, but we seem to allow headers in by teams aiming for the back post at crosses. Also I understand the St Johnstone goal was not a header but was definitely back post job.

This would be my first issue of addressing if I had a wish list, maybe just maybe sorting this out would help us getting a win or two. As for NL being clueless have a serious word.

GGTTH

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    To be fair, he is constantly asked about Celtic and Rangers during his press conferences.
    To be fair, he could give short answers that show his unwillingness to continue that line of questioning. He doesn't, in his recent one I believe he even says "we" when talking about Celtic...

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    I agree with that. But what doesn't help is having someone who looks as comfortable with the ball at his feet as Bambi does on Ice. Bartley isnt why we lost because he does break up play and cover defence well. But if you play Bartley you need McGeouch or Slivka to help play it.
    And I think we will, 3 at the back and 5 man midfield is the way for us I think

Left by mutual consent!
    To be fair, he could give short answers that show his unwillingness to continue that line of questioning. He doesn't, in his recent one I believe he even says "we" when talking about Celtic...
    He said “we” when talking about the Celtic team he managed in the champions league.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    He said “we” when talking about the Celtic team he managed in the champions league.
    In a pre-match interview for Hibs vs Motherwell. That makes sense now...

Reminiscing about the good old days at Celtic is what we need in the pre-match conference aired on a Hibs TV for paid subscribers of the Hibs persuasion. Sorry zero justification for this. Does Mourinho chat about Chelsea a lot in Man Utd pre-match conferences?

Just Pat Fenlon with a much bigger budget?

Discuss?

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedantic_Hibee View Post
    First thread I've opened since full time. And the last.

I'll be back in a few days once the rockets have disappeared.
    Some total roasters, certainly.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    just listened to NL's interview, i'm actually begining to really like him now...says it how it is a f*** up by rocky lets them right back in it, then we play like wee 12 year old laddies (like against Hamilton), no leadership, unacceptable....so what's the answer ? one ****** lousy point at home to Hamilton accies and Murrawell...

Left by mutual consent!
    In a pre-match interview for Hibs vs Motherwell. That makes sense now...

Reminiscing about the good old days at Celtic is what we need in the pre-match conference aired on a Hibs TV for paid subscribers of the Hibs persuasion. Sorry zero justification for this. Does Mourinho chat about Chelsea a lot in Man Utd pre-match conferences?
    As I already said, was asked a question and answered it. Not really reminiscing. Also, the press conferences are available for free on YouTube (published by Hibs). Keep trying though.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I felt Mcginn and Bartley were very good for a long spell but they visibly tired very quickly in the second half.

I personally felt a sub should have been made quicker to get Slivka and/or Mcgeouch on but some of the criticism of Lennon is way over the top. It's a game of small margins and he maybe felt we were capable of getting a third on the break.

Fwiw I also thought the praise of Lennon and the clammer for him to get a new contract was also over the top, everyone IMO is in too much of a rush to say we're either pish or the best side since Brazil '70 when in reality we're probably a gradually improving side that's still finding our feet in this league, we'll have some good weeks and some bad weeks.
    Totally agree, great post.

Iys the internet driven society we seem to be in - everything is an extreme.

It seems quite clear to me that we, as a support, underestimated the step-up.

We have been three years in the lower league against teams that are slower, poorer, weaker and who gave us far more time on the ball. Both Hamilton and Motherwell more than matched us physically.

Basically as others have said, we are not as good as we think we are, and everyone else is better than we, as a collective support, habe given them credit for.

I do agree that lennon should have managed his team better at 2up, but lets not pretend for a moment that if wr had gone on full-on defensive, and killed the game for the last 30 mins, that plenty of people on here wouldnt have been complaining about negativity, not going for the throat, and that it wasnt what fans paid their money for.

Managers imo, shouldnt be overly blamed, or lauded, for individual performances, or spells in matches - their input is limited. Its best to judge them by patterns and longer periods of peformances, and so far the performances this season have been good.
    Last edited by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy; 16-09-2017 at 05:40 PM.