hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar

switching bank accounts

might seem like a daft question so apologies in advance, ive only ever had the same bank account for the last 20 years, im thinking of changing banks in the near future, do i need to contact each company i have a direct debit etc with or is there an easy way of sorting it

2. Log in to remove the advert

I'm in the same boat in that I've stuck with the same account for a number of years. Check with your bank on what you can specifically do with your account but I'm sure I've heard of direct debits etc all being transferred over with no hassle.

You'd certainly hope so in this day and age.

I think all you have to do now is agree a switch over date with your new bank, they do the rest and it's all done and dusted in 7 days.

Last time I did it I had to get a list of my regular payments from my old bank and the new bank put everything in place.

My old bank screwed up and made a payment, dd or whatever, after the agreed date. I didn't realise for months. They wrote to me eventually and said I was owe them £100s and I laughed! They got stroppy but I eventually spoke to someone who actually looked at what happened and the account was closed. A few weeks later I found a mark against my credit rating so I phoned them. I got £450 compensation for each of the next 3 months till it was off. They said it would be sorted, it wasn't so I phoned again. To be fair it was a nice little earner and I was disappointed at the end they fixed it!
    Space to let

cheers ta, just wasnt sure. ill try get to the current bank and see what they say

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    cheers ta, just wasnt sure. ill try get to the current bank and see what they say
    Best to speak to the new one 1st... It's them that will drive the change, losing bank just has to do what it's told by gaining bank. That's how it's been set up by the regulator.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    You can apply to switch your account using the current account switch guarantee that almost all banks will be part of -> https://www.currentaccountswitch.co.uk/Pages/Home.aspx

You give your new account provider your old bank details, they switch everything over on a date of your choosing and your old account is automatically closed and everything carries on from the new account.

If you don't want to close the old account or don't want to use the switching service its a case of you contacting everyone that pays in or takes a DD out of your account and asking them to swap to the new account details.

Quote Originally Posted by MyJo View Post
    You can apply to switch your account using the current account switch guarantee that almost all banks will be part of -> https://www.currentaccountswitch.co.uk/Pages/Home.aspx

You give your new account provider your old bank details, they switch everything over on a date of your choosing and your old account is automatically closed and everything carries on from the new account.

If you don't want to close the old account or don't want to use the switching service its a case of you contacting everyone that pays in or takes a DD out of your account and asking them to swap to the new account details.
    sounds pretty straight forward, had it in my head it was going to be very complicated for some reason

@hibs.net private member
    sounds pretty straight forward, had it in my head it was going to be very complicated for some reason
    Banks make everything complicated - I'm trying to upgrade my daughters account to one that has a cash line card and they're making it really tough! so if that's something set up to make it easy use that.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I'm in the same boat in that I've stuck with the same account for a number of years. Check with your bank on what you can specifically do with your account but I'm sure I've heard of direct debits etc all being transferred over with no hassle.

You'd certainly hope so in this day and age.
    might seem like a daft question so apologies in advance, ive only ever had the same bank account for the last 20 years, im thinking of changing banks in the near future, do i need to contact each company i have a direct debit etc with or is there an easy way of sorting it

It's a skoosh. Pretty much all of them are in the switch service which means it's all switched for you within 7 days.

If you were looking at switching to Nationwide send me a PM, we each get £100 if I refer you.

It's really easy, just go into prospective new bank tell them you want to switch and they'll do the rest. Have a look for who has the best offers on.
    First direct are offering £100.

Otherwise as speedy said, if you let him recommend you to nationwide you'll both get £100. (Then you can recommend your other half and pick up another 200🖒)