hibs.net Messageboard

Left by mutual consent!

Golf - BMW and KLM Open.

The PGA returns tomorrow after a break in the shape of the BMW Championship. The BMW has most of the top names competing with the likes of Spieth, DJ, Thomas, Rahm, Casey, Garcia, Stenson, Rose etc etc and its certain to be a hotly contested four days of golf. Spieth is a skinny looking around 6-1 to win which to be honest is no surprise after his near misses of late. I'm hoping my usual suspects bet on Kuchar, Mcilroy and Casey put up a good showing although instead of 20-1 the bookies are giving on Mcilroy it could easily be more 50-1 given his shocking displays in the last couple of tourneys, however I'm sticking with him just in case his A game suddenly reappears. The last few PGA's have gone the way of the big guns like DJ and Thomas however golf always has the prospect of throwing up a surprise. Looking forward to it.

The KLM is another wide open European tournament with last years home Dutch winner Joost Luiten around 16-1 favorite. I've had a wee bet on Rai, Otaegui and Lewis. However its an extremely difficult one to call as was last weeks eventual winner Matthew Fitzpatrick who came out of the pack to pip long time leader Scott Hend after a play off. Hend had appeared virtually certain to win until Fitzpatrick had a terrific final round and then held his nerve to beat him.

Good luck to anybody else having a bet on whats certain to be another cracking four days of golf.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I've taken a pounding the last couple of weeks and lost a fortune, having done well all year.

I weighed in on Scott Hend in-play last weekend and he threw it away.

I also weighed in in-play on Lee Slattery the week before, as well as Jordan Spieth in the American golf.

So I'm on a bad run.

Again, I may choose to make my bets in-play.

I've taken a couple to finish in the top 20 in the European golf at fairly short odds - Joost Luiten and Julian Suri. These should hopefully give me a bit of money to bet in-play over the weekend.

I tend to lose quite badly in the American golf at this time of year. The fields are bursting with quality every week and it is hard to spot the value. You'd expect all of the usuals to be up there, probably at fairly skinny odds - Jordan, Justin, DJ.

I think I'll watch and wait - if Jordan or JT are in the mix but a couple back going into the final day, that's where I'll stick my cash.

I think these competitions will probably go to short odds favourites. The only other player I'd say I possibly fancy would be Daniel Berger. He's got what it takes to get in about the big boys, but I don't know if he has what it takes to get over the line when there is a very strong field.

Strange though that my betting success is often seasonal in various sports. I struggle with golf at this time of year but do very well January through to the Masters. There will often only be a few strong players in the field, and you'll get a feel for certain "hot" players (I've done really well backing Matsuyama, Justin Thomas and Adam Scott in recent years).

Football too, I struggle at the beginning and ends of the season when you don't know so much about what is going on. Once it has all settled down, in about October through to March, you can see who is in form, who is not, and where the value lies. That's when I tend to do best.

I promised myself I wouldn't get stuck in as much this August/ September - then I bloody did anyway, and have been stung.
    Last edited by Smartie; 13-09-2017 at 04:26 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've taken a pounding the last couple of weeks and lost a fortune, having done well all year.

I weighed in on Scott Hend in-play last weekend and he threw it away.

I also weighed in in-play on Lee Slattery the week before, as well as Jordan Spieth in the American golf.

So I'm on a bad run.

Again, I may choose to make my bets in-play.

I've taken a couple to finish in the top 20 in the European golf at fairly short odds - Joost Luiten and Julian Suri. These should hopefully give me a bit of money to bet in-play over the weekend.

I tend to lose quite badly in the American golf at this time of year. The fields are bursting with quality every week and it is hard to spot the value. You'd expect all of the usuals to be up there, probably at fairly skinny odds - Jordan, Justin, DJ.

I think I'll watch and wait - if Jordan or JT are in the mix but a couple back going into the final day, that's where I'll stick my cash.

I think these competitions will probably go to short odds favourites. The only other player I'd say I possibly fancy would be Daniel Berger. He's got what it takes to get in about the big boys, but I don't know if he has what it takes to get over the line when there is a very strong field.

Strange though that my betting success is often seasonal in various sports. I struggle with golf at this time of year but do very well January through to the Masters. There will often only be a few strong players in the field, and you'll get a feel for certain "hot" players (I've done really well backing Matsuyama, Justin Thomas and Adam Scott in recent years).

Football too, I struggle at the beginning and ends of the season when you don't know so much about what is going on. Once it has all settled down, in about October through to March, you can see who is in form, who is not, and where the value lies. That's when I tend to do best.

I promised myself I wouldn't get stuck in as much this August/ September - then I bloody did anyway, and have been stung.
    The PGA fields are extremely strong just now with the Fedex Cup up for grabs. Normally its between the likes of D A Points, Matt Bettencourt, Martin Laird, Webb Simpson and other PGA journeymen.

Hend looked a surefire winner Sunday last and the odds of around even money in play when he looked a certainty to win must have enticed a lot of punters to lump in. I thought he'd be around 1-2 but the bookies must have had an inkling he'd blow it and Fitzpatrick had one of they final rounds that is very difficult to predict. Very unfortunate mate.

The likes of Grayson Murray, Patrick Cantley, Ollie Sneiderjans and other not so well known golfers have impressed me with their consistent decent scorecards and there are plenty including your tip Daniel Berger who could throw a spanner into the mix albeit the big guns have been playing extraordinarily consistently to near their best form and look likely to be thereabouts again. Jon Rahm is knocking on the door big time and I swithered whether to include him but instead stuck to my usual suspects.

Quote Originally Posted by lgnsh_070362 View Post
    The PGA fields are extremely strong just now with the Fedex Cup up for grabs. Normally its between the likes of D A Points, Matt Bettencourt, Martin Laird, Webb Simpson and other PGA journeymen.

Hend looked a surefire winner Sunday last and the odds of around even money in play when he looked a certainty to win must have enticed a lot of punters to lump in. I thought he'd be around 1-2 but the bookies must have had an inkling he'd blow it and Fitzpatrick had one of they final rounds that is very difficult to predict. Very unfortunate mate.

The likes of Grayson Murray, Patrick Cantley, Ollie Sneiderjans and other not so well known golfers have impressed me with their consistent decent scorecards and there are plenty including your tip Daniel Berger who could throw a spanner into the mix albeit the big guns have been playing extraordinarily consistently to near their best form and look likely to be thereabouts again. Jon Rahm is knocking on the door big time and I swithered whether to include him but instead stuck to my usual suspects.
    Sneiderjans and Cantlay have both impressed me a great deal. They're decent EW, top 10 or top 20 bets but (along with Berger really) I don't think that they quite have what it takes to nudge out the big boys at this stage of the season. If they build on their progress this year though, they might well pick up some of the early season titles with weaker fields in the early part of 2018 (next year's Matsuyama).

Rahm I think has what it takes to shake it up. He hits it miles and has what it takes to get a lot of birdies. My only question mark over him is his temperament. Does he have what it takes to close it out and do what it takes on a pressure Sunday? With hindsight, that was the problem with Hend. Excellent all round game, bottle crashed when it mattered most.

And over the past few weeks that has been my problem. Keeping my cash in my pocket and not sticking it on a temperamental and unpredictable leader, when the cool chaser has represented the best value.

Roll on the weekend!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Sneiderjans and Cantlay have both impressed me a great deal. They're decent EW, top 10 or top 20 bets but (along with Berger really) I don't think that they quite have what it takes to nudge out the big boys at this stage of the season. If they build on their progress this year though, they might well pick up some of the early season titles with weaker fields in the early part of 2018 (next year's Matsuyama).

Rahm I think has what it takes to shake it up. He hits it miles and has what it takes to get a lot of birdies. My only question mark over him is his temperament. Does he have what it takes to close it out and do what it takes on a pressure Sunday? With hindsight, that was the problem with Hend. Excellent all round game, bottle crashed when it mattered most.

And over the past few weeks that has been my problem. Keeping my cash in my pocket and not sticking it on a temperamental and unpredictable leader, when the cool chaser has represented the best value.

Roll on the weekend!
    Great points regarding the weaker fields and the players knocking at the door when the big guns mostly reserve their games for the warm ups to the majors and the majors themselves. The likes of Cantley Berger, Sneiderjans, Murray, Vegas etc could do very well in the typical bog standard field and its good for us to keep an eye out for the ones who could go very well next year.

Rahm will be one to note for majors in the coming years and is likely to be a real contender if as you rightly question he can transform his consistently competing form into a winning one.

Best of luck mate if having a bet in play at the weekend, its never easy.

Left by mutual consent!
    The BMW course can be seen here. It could pose very tricky for any errant drives/shots as there's some extremely Scottish type deep rough around some of the fairways and holes. If straying into there a bogey could be the least of the problems. Looks like a course that will seriously punish erratic shots with rewards for those hitting the more precise strategic ones. Could be very interesting indeed.

http://www.conwayfarmsgolfclub.org/the-course-1861.html

http://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/b...ip/course.html

Joost Luiten bogeys his first 4 holes before steadying the ship and getting 2 back. +2 after 9 holes, not the start the red-hot favourite will have been looking for.