hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

What Can The Fans Do?

After yesterdays statment there seems to be lot of anger directed at the club and a lot of lashing out. Some of it seems bordering on uncontrolled which I don't think helps anybody.

I've always believed when you want change and want to make a point having a clear head, a clear strategy and a clear aim is important. Turning on fellow supporters and directing anger at all the wrong places helps no one.

So realistically in what way can those who wish to do so make their feelings clear? It seems a lot of people want to make a point but don't really know how to do it. I don't just mean in the short term and specifically Hibs fans either. Can fans from across a range of clubs work together to achieve whatever their aim is? Bearing in mind boycotts rarely gain much support and abusing the board only leads to an unpleasant atmosphere for the team to play in.

Given the Hibs statement is hardly the first indication that nothing further is going to happen I assume the wheels are already in motion re some plans of coordinated action? It would be a shame if an issue that some people feel so strongly about is reduced to scattergun criticisms across social media.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After yesterdays statment there seems to be lot of anger directed at the club and a lot of lashing out. Some of it seems bordering on uncontrolled which I don't think helps anybody.

I've always believed when you want change and want to make a point having a clear head, a clear strategy and a clear aim is important. Turning on fellow supporters and directing anger at all the wrong places helps no one.

So realistically in what way can those who wish to do so make their feelings clear? It seems a lot of people want to make a point but don't really know how to do it. I don't just mean in the short term and specifically Hibs fans either. Can fans from across a range of clubs work together to achieve whatever their aim is? Bearing in mind boycotts rarely gain much support and abusing the board only leads to an unpleasant atmosphere for the team to play in.

Given the Hibs statement is hardly the first indication that nothing further is going to happen I assume the wheels are already in motion re some plans of coordinated action? It would be a shame if an issue that some people feel so strongly about is reduced to scattergun criticisms across social media.
    It's a nice idea but Hibs fans don't really have any organisation to take their views forward.
    Even a banner at Easter road is likely to be confiscated before it is even unfolded.
    As a support we just kind of accept things and muddle on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar

Hate to say it but that is what will happen, the board will be in for a tough ride on Saturday from the fans, most of it will be directed at Rod Petrie i would think, as for the players, can't see it affecting them, as long as they aren't getting slated with songs the players should be just fine, a banner to let the board know fans feelings, if it got in to the ground I'm pretty sure it will be removed by security under directions from the board.
    Can HSA or would they release a statement about the matter.
    Or, to gauge the supports feelings how about this, a song, "stand up if you want an enquiry stand up if you want an enquiry etc etc.

Left by mutual consent!
    The Aberdeen fans issued a statement that was the opposite view of their chairman - can't we do the same ?

@hibs.net private member
    The trouble is the best way to hit any business is where it hurts - in their pocket.

However, that of course damages the team as it'll affect our budget and ability to retain our best players and bring in new ones come January. So I don't see that as a realistic option.

That's one of the things that's so frustrating about this whole situation and the boards statement. It's left a large number of fans feeling voiceless and out of touch with the game and club they love.

Whatever your views on EBT's I hope everyone would agree that's not a good thing. And it's much harder to 'move on' when fans don't feel listened to our respected.

I'm honestly not sure what we can do. The club won't change their mind that's for sure. I suspect long term the good that's been done since Leanne joined will be partially undone leading to an alienated support.

In the short term the statement is putting pressure on Lennon and the players. The atmosphere won't be great on Saturday and if we don't progress as as well as hoped this season then questions will be asked about the direction and leadership of the club. Again not good for the manager, players or organisation.

I'll be there on Saturday and don't think I'll miss any games because of this but I definitely feel deflated.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    The trouble is the best way to hit any business is where it hurts - in their pocket.

However, that of course damages the team as it'll affect our budget and ability to retain our best players and bring in new ones come January. So I don't see that as a realistic option.

That's one of the things that's so frustrating about this whole situation and the boards statement. It's left a large number of fans feeling voiceless and out of touch with the game and club they love.

Whatever your views on EBT's I hope everyone would agree that's not a good thing. And it's much harder to 'move on' when fans don't feel listened to our respected.

I'm honestly not sure what we can do. The club won't change their mind that's for sure. I suspect long term the good that's been done since Leanne joined will be partially undone leading to an alienated support.

In the short term the statement is putting pressure on Lennon and the players. The atmosphere won't be great on Saturday and if we don't progress as as well as hoped this season then questions will be asked about the direction and leadership of the club. Again not good for the manager, players or organisation.

I'll be there on Saturday and don't think I'll miss any games because of this but I definitely feel deflated.
    Sums up the situation rather well.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar

Who were here the guys (Hibees - was it WorcesterHibee?) that setup the first football survey? They passed the baton on and iirc surveys are now controlled by some other entity. Presumably they didn't sign a gagging order maybe they could canvass opinion again?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Buy as much of the club as possible.

It was such a missed opportunity for the club - even if they believed the legal aspect they could have still called for an enquiry into the cheating everyone knows went on. The danger now is that no one will take the lead and get all fans from all clubs involved. I honestly think the fans way is the only way forward but have no idea how they get the ball rolling.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    It was such a missed opportunity for the club - even if they believed the legal aspect they could have still called for an enquiry into the cheating everyone knows went on. The danger now is that no one will take the lead and get all fans from all clubs involved. I honestly think the fans way is the only way forward but have no idea how they get the ball rolling.
    I think Celtc will continue to press the SFA, just as they did when Jim Farry messed them around. I don't think they'll let it lie just because a variety of other club chairmen toe the SFA line about raking over old coals.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    What about something basic, like a petition at games? If the board are presented with the names of ten thousand Hibs fans, they will at least understand the extent of the feeling.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    What about something basic, like a petition at games? If the board are presented with the names of ten thousand Hibs fans, they will at least understand the extent of the feeling.

Plus I'm sure there will be national petitions, protests at games etc.

Fans joining together on this could not be ignored - lots of ways to raise the issue without hurting Hibs financially.

I think the Scottish government might need to step in because SFA is useless. As is SNPs behaviour legislation of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    It's a nice idea but Hibs fans don't really have any organisation to take their views forward. Even a banner at Easter road is likely to be confiscated before it is even unfolded.
    As a support we just kind of accept things and muddle on.

That is true of fans of all clubs. Statements will be issued but they will really achieve nothing on their own. If people really want to take this on and crowd fund etc then things will need to be organised on a national basis. Is there an existing organisation that would be best placed to co-ordinate things?
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

The fans can aim a "cheats" chant in the direction of Sevco when we play them at ER. Wind them up and never let them forget. Petitions, verbal abuse aimed at our board etc isn't they way forward and doesn't reflect the view of fans who agreed with the club statement. Anger should be directed at Sevco not Hibernian.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    The fans can aim a "cheats" chant in the direction of Sevco when we play them at ER. Wind them up and never let them forget. Petitions, verbal abuse aimed at our board etc isn't they way forward and doesn't reflect the view of fans who agreed with the club statement. Anger should be directed at Sevco not Hibernian.
    What have Sevco done wrong? All their titles were honestly acquired, weren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    What have Sevco done wrong? All their titles were honestly acquired, weren't they?
    And they think it's quite funny that our board sided with them anyway. They won't care a bit. Has anyone ever been upset by anything an opposition team sung at us?
    A lot of us will probably just have to get used to the fact that our club isn't what we would wish it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Is there a way we could encourage every club to do this?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    Sevco and their fans literally couldn't care less. Ditto the players. We as a club have validated their view point so how can we have a go at them for something our club also supports?

Also, how is chanting at Sevco fans during a game actually supporting our team?

I won't be hurling abuse at the board but it's going to happen. How it somehow reflects on the fans who do agree with the statement I'm not clear. Your free to say nothing, shout down those dishing out the abuse or start a petition or chant in support of the board.

Focus 100% on supporting the team would be the best plan of action, as it always is.

Read a lot of stuff about the statement ruining the feel good factor around the club. When it comes to match day atmosphere, that only happens if the fans in attendance make it so which one would hope won't be the case.

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    The guy behind the Rangers Tax Case blog is currently investigating whether there are grounds for requesting a Judicial Review. If it comes to anything it would be crowd funded and seems to be the best way forward.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd be in favour of this.

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    SPFL fans should collect money for legal and public relations professionals to represent them and make sure that club executives are not able to write the narrative for this shameful episode in our football history.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    I'd be in favour of this.
    Best thing in my view is a mass boycott of huns games at easter road - it will send a clear message to clubs, most importantly it will be very visible on TV and it will damage the tv 'product'- plus it would not hit hibs too hard because they would still get the season ticket money.

Personally thats what i am going to do - although i habe no faith it will change anything, fitb fans are notoriously bad in this country at using their collective power.

Edit - i would also contribute to any crowdfunding, but judicial review would be enormously expensive.
    Last edited by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy; 13-09-2017 at 07:03 AM.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Saturdays game won't be affected by this at all.

The wailing and gnashing of teeth is pretty much a social media thing. I've Yet to hear it mentioned once in 'real' life.

I just don't think that you have will support for any plans within the Hibs support generally.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

The wailing and gnashing of teeth is pretty much a social media thing. I've Yet to hear it mentioned once in 'real' life.

I just don't think that you have will support for any plans within the Hibs support generally.
    That's because so many people won't even be aware of it. Those who i've spoken to who are aware of it, are furious about it. Those who don't take to things like social media and forums are left scratching their heads, because they have no sense of any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

That's pretty much what I was getting at in my OP. Some people seem to be really, really angry but there doesn't seem to be any focus to it at all. It's just the online equivalent of shouting and screaming at random people.

It's been pretty obvious there is going to be no further enquiry for some time now yet there's no collective of fans even semi organised? If nothing comes of this the people who are really angry but have done nothing to prepare and more culpible than those who are indifferent.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by High-On-Hibs View Post
    That's because so many people won't even be aware of it. Those who i've spoken to who are aware of it, are furious about it. Those who don't take to things like social media and forums are left scratching their heads, because they have no sense of any of it.
    Cheer up, Barcelona won last night.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

The first thing to remember is that an enquiry might still happen - the most powerful club in the country is lobbying for one - but the Hibs board have decided that there is no benefit to be gained from one by our club, or at least the potential costs outweigh the potential benefits. The Hibs board is not the enemy.

It seems to me that there are two avenues to be explored if you feel Celtc are not going to get their wish. The obvious one is to lobby your MSP and Westminster MP. The latter will probably defer to the former, but at least make them have to do that. This is the governance of our national game that's in question and Parliament should get involved if the game can't look after itself regardless of FIFA's views on the matter.

The second option would be crowdfunding our own enquiry, but that would be fraught with difficulty as the costs would likely be open-ended and we could expect little co-operation from the authorities. I suspect that an initial assessment would come to the same conclusion as the SPFL's one - that there is nothing tangible to be gained by it.

I think we also need to recognise that Murray's Rangers are unlikely to have their titles stripped as Lord Nimmo-Smith sailed that boat over the horizon long ago. Any enquiry would simply be about the governance and conduct of the various bodies at the time and now. Personally I believe that is worth examining, but the Scottish game is not rich and maybe the money, time and effort would be better spent in improving things for the future, the first action being the removal of the grossly incompetent Stewart Regan.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    That's pretty much what I was getting at in my OP. Some people seem to be really, really angry but there doesn't seem to be any focus to it at all. It's just the online equivalent of shouting and screaming at random people.

It's been pretty obvious there is going to be no further enquiry for some time now yet there's no collective of fans even semi organised? If nothing comes of this the people who are really angry but have done nothing to prepare and more culpible than those who are indifferent.
    What about Supporters Direct Scotland?

As well as fans taking control of clubs, their remit appears to also cover improving governance, encourage better and more formal relationships between clubs and their supporters.

Not sure of any other supporters body that potentially covers all teams, but again not sure that SDS would touch this with a bargepole.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    What about Supporters Direct Scotland?

As well as fans taking control of clubs, their remit appears to also cover improving governance, encourage better and more formal relationships between clubs and their supporters.

Not sure of any other supporters body that potentially covers all teams, but again not sure that SDS would touch this with a bargepole.
    Is this a rebrand of that? Think it might be. They are calling for an enquiry ...

http://scottishfsa.org/national-fans...rnance-issues/