hibs.net Messageboard

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526
    Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "The SPFL board, who announced back in July that no further disciplinary action would be taken against Rangers and none of the titles they won between 2000 and 2011 taken away from them, had called for an independent review into the saga. They will discuss the latest development in the ongoing stand-off at a meeting next week"

If that's the case, why call for an independent review? If it was already decided no sanctions would be taken, and it was, why bother with a trial? Sounds like a review panel might say "Here's what happened and we can't do anything. We've just wasted a year of our time and a large bag of money to achieve nowt. Game over."

Consider that no member club has indicated to the SFA Board that an enquiry would be required, then the SFA is acting in accordance with the wishes of the clubs.
    Do you have confidence in our authorities' ability to govern?

Do you believe lessons have been learned?

Don't you believe that somewhere in the millions of tickets sold per season to watch football games in Scotland, there might be some funds found to investigate and rehabilitate the validity of our competitions?

This doesn't begin and end with applying sanctions to Rangers. In my opinion that is a very small part of it, if it that is even part of it at all.

The credibility of our national game is what is at stake.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Do you have confidence in our authorities' ability to govern?

Do you believe lessons have been learned?

Don't you believe that somewhere in the millions of tickets sold per season to watch football games in Scotland, there might be some funds found to investigate and rehabilitate the validity of our competitions?

This doesn't begin and end with applying sanctions to Rangers. In my opinion that is a very small part of it, if it that is even part of it at all.

The credibility of our national game is what is at stake.
    Does Shangri La exist?

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This bit is interesting, talking about the SPFL agitating for an enquiry:-

“I wasn’t involved in this decision even though I am involved at a club,” he said. “It was decided by the SPFL board, it wasn’t decided by the clubs."

That dynamites those (including me) who assumed that the clubs had been canvassed, and that it was a majority decision.

The Board is ..." Les Gray of Hamilton Academical, Ann Budge of Hearts and Stewart Robertson of Rangers." I thought that Budge also wanted to move on, and would have assumed Robertson also wanted to.

(Edit. That bit above is mince. The Board also has 6 other members.)
    I think its more than interesting.

Lots assumed that Regan was playing with words when he said that only one club had come forward, some people on here said there might be other clubs coming out in support of Celtic.

I did say a few days ago it was odd that the SFA was being pounded on this while simultaneously having two SPFL members on its board.

If what Ross County say is true (and I assume it is), then Doncaster and his SPFL board have been grandstanding on this - with no regard for the apparent wishes of (the majority) of their members.

He could be in deep doo doo

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post

Lots assumed that Regan was playing with words when he said that only one club had come forward, some people on here said there might be other clubs coming out in support of Celtic.

I did say a few days ago it was odd that the SFA was being pounded on this while simultaneously having two SPFL members on its board.

If what Ross County say is true (and I assume it is), then Doncaster and his SPFL board have been grandstanding on this - with no regard for the apparent wishes of (the majority) of their members.

The other thing that struck me whilst looking at the SPFL file at Companies House is that about 6 of the Board are new... elected last month.

Perhaps those new members are keen to make a name for themselves, or dissociate themselves from the previous regime, or ( as you suggest) do a bit of muscle-flexing.

Whatever the reason, it does seem a bit disingenuous of ND to claim to be writing "on behalf of" the clubs.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough timewilltell's Avatar
    Theres the rub, there is no "we".

A number of people on here want a root and branch enquiry, wide ranging relating to the conduct of teams. governing bodies and individuals.

Some people want a more focussed enquiry.

Some just want confirmation that the rules as they stand will be applied ongoing.

Some are not fussed about punishing Oldco by stripping titles, some others want titles stripped.

Some Celtic fans want some other stuff including plod involved.

I may have missed some apects , I am sure someone will be along in a minute to correct me.
    Good post..

Testimonial Due
    The other thing that struck me whilst looking at the SPFL file at Companies House is that about 6 of the Board are new... elected last month.

Perhaps those new members are keen to make a name for themselves, or dissociate themselves from the previous regime, or ( as you suggest) do a bit of muscle-flexing.

Whatever the reason, it does seem a bit disingenuous of ND to claim to be writing "on behalf of" the clubs.

Doesn't that happen every year? There's a whole raft of termination/appointments on their CH file last year as well, and the SFA's file is similar.

Must admit I'm not really sure why they do it but it does seem pretty much usual practice.

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493

The supreme court judgement was madeon the 5th July and the announcement about no further punishments but supporting the call for an independant enquiry was on the 26th July, only two days after the 17/18 board was elected. I think it’s more than likely that the 16/17 lotwere the ones to decide on the SPFL’s approach to this:

Neil Doncaster (SPFL Chief exec)
    Ralph Topping (SPFL Chairman)
    Karyn McCluskey (independent non-exec0
    Peter Lawwell (Celtic)
    Ann Budge (Heart ofMidlothian)
    Ian Maxwell (Partick Thistle)
    Leeann Dempster (Hibernian)
    EricDrysdale (Raith Rovers)
    Ken Ferguson (Brechin City

Given that the new board looks like this it will be interesting to see how this is dealt with moving forward:

Neil Doncaster (SPFL Chief exec)
    Murdoch MacLennan (SPFL Chairman)
    Karyn McCluskey (independent non-exec)
    AnnBudge (Heart of Midlothian)
    Les Gray (Hamilton Academical)
    Stewart Robertson(Rangers)
    Martin Ritchie (Falkirk)
    Warren Hawke (Morton)
    Iain Dougan (Stranraer)
    Last edited by MyJo; 13-09-2017 at 08:37 PM.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    I see this a lot about Petrie. That he's playing the long game and that he will come good. Never happens. Sometimes you just have to accept that someone is not right for the role.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You've constructed your own argument there C and I don't buy it.

He's not played a long game, football-wise, he's played a strategic game and then had to react based on how the managers have done. A good number of them have disappointed but it was hardly like we didn't want them. Butcher was being called for on here two appointments before he arrived. Were you one of those who wanted him? It's funny how people can be experts on here, then shift attitudes and use hindsight as an evaluation tool.

What Petrie has done is seen us to a point where we have a marketable stadium that can accommodate an increase in support, a training facility that's top-notch and a presence in the community that makes life better for people who are marginalised, admittedly this was clearly STF's wish.

Please don't reply and say that Hibs are a football club and that is all we should be concentrating on. We were founded to improve the prospects of folk who were marginalised, in our case the immigrants from Ireland who settled in the Old Town. It's honourable that the club wants to take that forward in the twenty-first century, and make it relevant to our time and age.

I was a wee bit wary about Leann and am more than happy to eat humble pie. Since STF and Rod took Hibs on, we have steadily progressed. Leann seems to have accelerated things since she joined.

He was right for the role he had and he's right for the role he has now. Still, haters gonna hate
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    You've constructed your own argument there C and I don't buy it.

He's not played a long game, football-wise, he's played a strategic game and then had to react based on how the managers have done. A good number of them have disappointed but it was hardly like we didn't want them. Butcher was being called for on here two appointments before he arrived. Were you one of those who wanted him? It's funny how people can be experts on here, then shift attitudes and use hindsight as an evaluation tool.

What Petrie has done is seen us to a point where we have a marketable stadium that can accommodate an increase in support, a training facility that's top-notch and a presence in the community that makes life better for people who are marginalised, admittedly this was clearly STF's wish.

Please don't reply and say that Hibs are a football club and that is all we should be concentrating on. We were founded to improve the prospects of folk who were marginalised, in our case the immigrants from Ireland who settled in the Old Town. It's honourable that the club wants to take that forward in the twenty-first century, and make it relevant to our time and age.

I was a wee bit wary about Leann and am more than happy to eat humble pie. Since STF and Rod took Hibs on, we have steadily progressed. Leann seems to have accelerated things since she joined.

He was right for the role he had and he's right for the role he has now. Still, haters gonna hate
    I was delighted when we went for Butcher, happy enough for Fenlon to be given a chance, same for Calderwood and again delighted we appointed John Collins. I've never complained about Petrie's managerial appointments. Nor have I ever complained that he did not provide the finances for the playing squad. My problem was the fact that he would appoint a manager and then leave them down at east mains to just get on with it. There was no proper structure in place to support the manager. Leeann has now put that in place. You can accuse me of using hindsight as an evaluation tool if you like but I don't work at the club and so only find out these things after the fact, Rod should be there every day and so should have been able to see what was going wrong.
    I have no problem with any of the community work the club does and have always been supportive. Not sure about the level of involvement from Rod Petrie though. Seems to me that we only took it seriously when Leeann came on board.
    Since STF and Rod took over we have steadily progressed? New stadium is certainly fantastic although they had to be persuaded by the fans to build it there. On the pitch though?

Quick look at our league finishes shows no real improvement and the last few years shows quite a dip. Of course we do have 3 cup successes and they are most certainly not to be sniffed at but league finishes are a better barometer of on field progress and it does not appear to show any improvement.
    And the 'haters gonna hate' thing? Lol, as the youngsters also might say.

Got as far as 'Keenest legal minds'. Tantamount to just saying its not worth the bother and we senior managers know better than you minions.
    Disappointing to say the least.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    To paraphrase Richard Nixon and the fat tramp on crutches who was outside Ibrox the day they entered administration, 'there can be no whitewash in the Big Hoose'.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm still raging with that statement! Siding with those mobs is infuriating to say the least!

Rod, they all slaughtered us after the cup final, the Rangers slaughtered us constantly with their statements that were lies, Reagan slaughtered us after the match, MSM slaughtered us for months after, Radio, TV and papers all slaughtered us with fabrication, fallacy and lies yet you meekly lay down to them ... Dirty, dirty filthy game we are involved with!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    I'm still raging with that statement! Siding with those mobs is infuriating to say the least!

Rod, they all slaughtered us after the cup final, the Rangers slaughtered us constantly with their statements that were lies, Reagan slaughtered us after the match, MSM slaughtered us for months after, Radio, TV and papers all slaughtered us with fabrication, fallacy and lies yet you meekly lay down to them ... Dirty, dirty filthy game we are involved with!
    Accepting that there's no utility in doing anything isn't the same as siding with them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Accepting that there's no utility in doing anything isn't the same as siding with them.
    I can see it no other way.

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post

Regan passed comment on the pitch invasion in the immediate aftermath and he was justified in saying that he was unhappy with the fighting that took place but other than that the SFA didn't do much else against us? They carried out an investigation asked the club to feel the collars of those identified as invading the pitch and decided there was no need to punish the club for it happening.

How would an independent enquiry into the SFA, when we know Rangers are not going to be punished further, help us get back at Rangers, thier fans, the media and the police who have all pushed the anti-hibs agenda you are talking about?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MyJo View Post
    Regan passed comment on the pitch invasion in the immediate aftermath and he was justified in saying that he was unhappy with the fighting that took place but other than that the SFA didn't do much else against us? They carried out an investigation asked the club to feel the collars of those identified as invading the pitch and decided there was no need to punish the club for it happening.

How would an independent enquiry into the SFA, when we know Rangers are not going to be punished further, help us get back at Rangers, thier fans, the media and the police who have all pushed the anti-hibs agenda you are talking about?
    An inquiry into the SFA is required, whether or not it affects Rangers (RIP) is yet to be determined. The right thing - IMO - is to open the gates to review the SFA. At this juncture the SFA are clearly not fit for purpose in providing clarity, transparency and a way forward for Scottish Football.

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    For years we all complained that club kept the fans in the dark, never told us anything, communication was non existent. Recently the club have tried to change this and as soon they announce to us all about a decision they have made at board level, half the fans seem to be up in arms, threatening never to go back.

On a personal basis, I totally disagree with the boards decision, I don't think that despicable club, The The rangers or Oldco or newco or whatever guise they come under, should get away with anything. However, I have to trust OUR board to have made their decision in the best interest of OUR club, regardless of how much I hate it, and there is not a chance in the world that there will be any boycott of Easter road from myself because of this.

I hate it when petrol and beer prices go up, but I'm not going to stop driving or drinking.

A long time after we have all left this life, HIBERNIAN FOOTBALL CLUB will hopefully still be here. IF that horrible bunch of sectarian, cheating, barstewards are still here too, I hope Hibs fans, and ALL Scottish football fans, continue to remind them of what they did.

For now though, C'mon the Hibees, getintae the 'Well and let's get the three points on Saturday

I think there's something in this all that shows (Pistol) Pete Lawwell wants Regan out..

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    I was delighted when we went for Butcher, happy enough for Fenlon to be given a chance, same for Calderwood and again delighted we appointed John Collins. I've never complained about Petrie's managerial appointments. Nor have I ever complained that he did not provide the finances for the playing squad. My problem was the fact that he would appoint a manager and then leave them down at east mains to just get on with it. There was no proper structure in place to support the manager. Leeann has now put that in place. You can accuse me of using hindsight as an evaluation tool if you like but I don't work at the club and so only find out these things after the fact, Rod should be there every day and so should have been able to see what was going wrong.
    I have no problem with any of the community work the club does and have always been supportive. Not sure about the level of involvement from Rod Petrie though. Seems to me that we only took it seriously when Leeann came on board.
    Since STF and Rod took over we have steadily progressed? New stadium is certainly fantastic although they had to be persuaded by the fans to build it there. On the pitch though?

Quick look at our league finishes shows no real improvement and the last few years shows quite a dip. Of course we do have 3 cup successes and they are most certainly not to be sniffed at but league finishes are a better barometer of on field progress and it does not appear to show any improvement.
    And the 'haters gonna hate' thing? Lol, as the youngsters also might say.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not lumping you in with the mindless anti-Petrie mob. I can see how it might read that way so apologies for that. I know you have issues with Petrie but accept you feel your concerns are evidence-based. Nevertheless, in the totality of the history of this club, he's going to be seen as an important and positive force. I think what riles me is the knee-jerk, short-termist and often just somewhat ignorant abuse and vitriol he gets. If it was fair then it would be reasonable but a lot of it isn't and that doesn't sit well with me, when essentially he is trying to do the right thing for the future of Hibernian.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not lumping you in with the mindless anti-Petrie mob. I can see how it might read that way so apologies for that. I know you have issues with Petrie but accept you feel your concerns are evidence-based. Nevertheless, in the totality of the history of this club, he's going to be seen as an important and positive force. I think what riles me is the knee-jerk, short-termist and often just somewhat ignorant abuse and vitriol he gets. If it was fair then it would be reasonable but a lot of it isn't and that doesn't sit well with me, when essentially he is trying to do the right thing for the future of Hibernian.
    I think his long term influence/performance is a mixed bag and history will view it as such. There are several factors that are difficult to analyse from the distance most of us are at:

- the club racked up £16M of debt, but in mitigation nobody saw the tv collapse coming
    - he had the car park to sell, a £10M get out of jail free card. An enormous stroke of luck but the timing of the sale (with hindsight) was a masterstroke
    - he had the golden generation. All those players coming through at once at a time when transfer fees peaked. Again, the luck vs planning balance is v hard to guess at.
    - the succession of duff managerial performances, consequent early sackings and squad turnover is not easily forgotten!

Summary - he (mostly, as far as we know) handed over the reins with the football operation in a dire state and a dwindling, thoroughly hacked off fanbase but with reasonable financial health and comparatively excellent infrastructure. The ignorant abuse may be unwarranted but then some of the pro-Petrie hagiography is a bit hard to take.

Testimonial Due bighairyfaeleith's Avatar
    hagiography

nice word, had to look it up

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bighairyfaeleith View Post
    hagiography

nice word, had to look it up
    It doesn't mean what I thought.

Although why Thatcher would come into the discussion should have been a giveaway that I was wrong.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

He's far from perfect but I think he's genuine. Compare him to many of the sharks and criminals involved in football and he looks rather good.

Plus he has a luxuriant moustache.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post

He's far from perfect but I think he's genuine. Compare him to many of the sharks and criminals involved in football and he looks rather good.

Plus he has a luxuriant moustache.
    i agree, I don't think he is corrupt neither. However, he is making it difficult for folks to come to that conclusion! All the cloak and dagger stuff seeping out through the SFA is why folks think he is. Rod, I think you are being badly advised, come back to the light side.