hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hibs v Levin's Hearts 24th October

I didn't watch the Yam's game on ALBA but listened to it on the radio. After a good first 20 minutes it seemed that Aberdeen just ran out of ideas as Levin's goons swamped the midfield and shut down any prospect the Dons had of playing expansive football .... as the game wore on Aberdeen fell further and further back into their own half as the Yams industrial approach wore them down, so much so that the Dons custodian was by far the busier of the two keepers making several very good saves by all accounts.

There is no doubt that Levin will be hugely encouraged that his stifling approach to the beautiful game brought Aberdeen's winning run to a shuddering halt and given the way Hibs play he will undoubtedly revert to type at Easter Road in an attempt to muscle us out of the game.

My question is ..... How do we combat the tactics of this football genius? there will be an obvious difference in that Easter Road is wider than a tennis court and hopefully their tame ref wont be in charge, but that aside what else can we do?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't watch the Yam's game on ALBA but listened to it on the radio. After a good first 20 minutes it seemed that Aberdeen just ran out of ideas as Levin's goons swamped the midfield and shut down any prospect the Dons had of playing expansive football .... as the game wore on Aberdeen fell further and further back into their own half as the Yams industrial approach wore them down, so much so that the Dons custodian was by far the busier of the two keepers making several very good saves by all accounts.

There is no doubt that Levin will be hugely encouraged that his stifling approach to the beautiful game brought Aberdeen's winning run to a shuddering halt and given the way Hibs play he will undoubtedly revert to type at Easter Road in an attempt to muscle us out of the game.

My question is ..... How do we combat the tactics of this football genius? there will be an obvious difference in that Easter Road is wider than a tennis court and hopefully their tame ref wont be in charge, but that aside what else can we do?
    I'd love to see them try to muscle big Marv out of the game.

United we stand here....

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Teams normally get a decent result for a manager's first game. In the derby both teams will be as up for it as each other, our squad is far superior to theirs, especially in midfield, and I totally expect to be sending that dull, arrogant prick home with a face even more sour than normal.

Didn't listen to it but Hearts apparently gave Aberdeen a bit of a pounding in the second half. I've a feeling there may be a bit more to them than simply being cloggers and we could be in for a tough game.

However, we aren't ones to be pushed about and will give as good as we get. Could be a good, even game and even though I'd prefer to go in expecting to thump them, I'm quite looking forward to it.

May the best team win.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    I'm not worried in the slightest about not getting a win against that shower. Levein's 'tactics' will have been well and truly sussed out by the time they get round to playing us.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    We gave Aberdeen a pounding at Hampden. Looking forward to the derby.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    I'm not worried in the slightest about not getting a win against that shower. Levein's 'tactics' will have been well and truly sussed out by the time they get round to playing us.
    We have a wider pitch too!

Left by mutual consent!
    I reckon their scrap approach will suit us down to the ground to be honest. Last person you want to get into a scrap with is Neil Lennon, especially with a team with the likes of John McGinn and Bartley in midfield. Get big Dave up front next to Murray with McGinn just sitting in behind them.

From what i've taken from Edinburgh Derbies, the best way to beat Hearts is to play them at their own game and I reckon we can do it better than them.

It'll be a tough game with Levein setting up to try and intimidate and bully us. Problem for him is we're a different beast from 5/10/15 years ago.

McGregor/Gray/Hanlon/Bartley are all leaders. Everyone of them could be captain. Couple that with the attacking prowess of Whitty, Slivka, Murray, Boyle and Stokes.

They need to worry about us,not the other way around. **** hearts. We've got a fair superior squad and mentality/togetherness than them. 2 or 3 nil to the green and white army

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SingHibs View Post
    We have a wider pitch too!
    There was talk of LeVain having the pitch narrowed to Tyny dimensions and when I looked in on the Alba broadcast, this certainly looked to be the case. They won't have the luxury of pulling that kind of fast one at ER. Step up Barker, Boyle and Whitty

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    With the amount of chances we are making we are due someone an absolute skelping. Let's hope that someone is Hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    We gave Aberdeen a pounding at Hampden. Looking forward to the derby.
    Correct
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hackett View Post
    There was talk of LeVain having the pitch narrowed to Tyny dimensions and when I looked in on the Alba broadcast, this certainly looked to be the case. They won't have the luxury of pulling that kind of fast one at ER. Step up Barker, Boyle and Whitty
    Pre-match on the radio said that the.
    pitch had been set out same size as their pitch at their midden !!
    In commentary yesterday it said that they set up essentially with 5 at the back ..not like Budgie's boy !

He already gave an interview where he all but admitted the style of football his team was going to play.

'When it was put to Levein that his style of football, perceived as being direct, had many detractors, he replied: “Listen, that’s Scottish football, eh? You are going to get criticism.

“I firmly believe in certain things. When your team is not doing well the supporters want you to win. Once you’re winning they want you to play well – so let’s get to the bit where they want us to win. Then I’ll be happy. '

Simple Plans

I also mentioned yesterday that he had the Murrayfield pitch narrowed to the same width as Tynecastle, presumably to stifle any width of the other teams. It seems to have worked.

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    He already gave an interview where he all but admitted the style of football his team was going to play.

'When it was put to Levein that his style of football, perceived as being direct, had many detractors, he replied: “Listen, that’s Scottish football, eh? You are going to get criticism.

“I firmly believe in certain things. When your team is not doing well the supporters want you to win. Once you’re winning they want you to play well – so let’s get to the bit where they want us to win. Then I’ll be happy. '

Simple Plans

I also mentioned yesterday that he had the Murrayfield pitch narrowed to the same width as Tynecastle, presumably to stifle any width of the other teams. It seems to have worked.
    Who needs width when all you do is hoooooof it up the other end?

If we can start to convert some of the 40 thousand chances that we are creating (but ultimately missing) just now then I have no fears about playing them at Easter Road.

We have a superior manager and a better squad and I'm confident that will prevail in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    If we can start to convert some of the 40 thousand chances that we are creating (but ultimately missing) just now.....
    This has to get sorted out. It's been a theme for the last three years. The big problem we've got now of course is that the teams we're up against are better at creating their own chances than Championship teams are.
    Last edited by Glory Lurker; 10-09-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Having seen far too many decent Hibs teams either draw or lose to that pack of dogs there is no chance I will either play us up or knock them down.

All Hearts fans are ugly, smell and have nits

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BS44 View Post
    Having seen far too many decent Hibs teams either draw or lose to that pack of dogs there is no chance I will either play us up or knock them down.

Spot on.

Except the bit about nits, they gave it a go but ultimately rejected the hearts fans.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Anyone able to post a link to Steve Archibald winner at Tynecastle?

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarlingtonHibee View Post
    Anyone able to post a link to Steve Archibald winner at Tynecastle?

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Cheers, still looks brilliant, boy had class!!

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Christ, watching that clip you would think it was almost thirty years ago!

Possibly my favourite win against the dogs since I have been watching Hibs. But if anyone else puts up a clip of another winner for the good guys against the dogs I will happily get all misty eyed and claim that is my favourite goal against them

May the best team win.[/QUOTE]

Ehh, nah. Even if we are Tom Kite, I hope we win.
    Stifle us all you want. Bartley will thrive on that, & SJM can't be stifled.
    Bring them on!

In all honesty, they have some good players. Potter added a bit of steel in midfield wi Callaghan, which they badly needed. We need to match up in midfield or they will be tough to beat. We need to start taking the chances we create and not be so wasteful.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    They'll come for a 0-0, we need to be ready for this

Quote Originally Posted by BS44 View Post

That's the attitude that saw us not winning many derbys. Hearts are pish. Hibs are better all over the park and we'll beat them again next month.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post

Simple Plans

I think I know what he's trying to say but he's dicked it up, no?

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    A rugby team on a rugby pitch playing rugby tactics. Hibs class will prevail.

Hopefully Thomson isn't in charge, failing to give a stonewaller penalty and red card against Berra in the first minute. Total game changer.