hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corners

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar

Corners

We've had 28 corners in our last 2 away games, and created hehaw from any of them. Great that we're creating this many, but not resulting in any advantage to us

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    I know the thinking is drawing players out the crowded box with the short corners but they so far have absolutely abysmal. Get the ball into. The box. It's fine mixing it up every now and then to keep the opposition guessing in fact U think that's good practise. We are however piss poor at the short one. 28 corners? I can't help thinking we would have scored from at least one of them getting it into the box. At the very least we would be threatening to score. That can't be said for our short efforts. Very frustrating.
    Last edited by greenlex; 09-09-2017 at 07:21 PM.

We are missing Hendo's, Keatings' and Cummings' corners.

I vaguely remember listening to a radio sports programme discussion about corners v goals scored ( it was either on 5live or talksport during the summer). If I'm not mistaken the stat was that only 5% of corners are scored...... So the other 95% result in hee haw.
    Which goes to show a couple of things: firstly, we're all dafties for getting excited if we get a corner
    Secondly, there was a very real and sensible reason why (for instance) Pep's Barcelona team always took short corners/free kicks around the box rather than the Scottish idea of "get it in the box!!"

* I for one am more concerned that in the near 30 years I've had a season ticket we still are absolutely unable to take throw ins.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I vaguely remember listening to a radio sports programme discussion about corners v goals scored ( it was either on 5live or talksport during the summer). If I'm not mistaken the stat was that only 5% of corners are scored...... So the other 95% result in hee haw.
    Which goes to show a couple of things: firstly, we're all dafties for getting excited if we get a corner
    Secondly, there was a very real and sensible reason why (for instance) Pep's Barcelona team always took short corners/free kicks around the box rather than the Scottish idea of "get it in the box!!"

* I for one am more concerned that in the near 30 years I've had a season ticket we still are absolutely unable to take throw ins.
    The throw in thing drives me crazy!!! Every other team in the world seems to be able to take a quick throw bar us

First Team Regular scm70nyd1973's Avatar

Maybe not daft but a couple of corners taken in a game in May 2016 have left their mark and fill us with a fair bit of anticipation !

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SKIPSTER07
    Quote Originally Posted by scm70nyd1973 View Post
    Maybe not daft but a couple of corners taken in a game in May 2016 have left their mark and fill us with a fair bit of anticipation !
    A quick throw in before the 3rd as well

Quote Originally Posted by The young one View Post
    The throw in thing drives me crazy!!! Every other team in the world seems to be able to take a quick throw bar us
    Or even a slow one, which we can't manage!
    I referenced Barça in my previous post because I have previously treated myself to a trip to watch them on a few occasions. The major thing that differs between our game and theirs (and I'm well aware of the difference in individual ability) is:a throw in to them is just a chance to keep possession of the ball. A free kick anywhere outwith scoring range is a chance to keep possession of the ball. A corner is a chance to keep possession of the ball......

For us it's FFS-throw it doon the line, hope for a flick on, something MIGHT happen. Whilst a Free kick anywhere within 80 yards of the opponents goal=all the big guys up, and launch it into 'the mix', see what happens.
    Corners? Have you heard the abuse if the ball isn't pumped into the box?? Yet ALL teams rarely score from corners.

In short: throw ins, free kicks and corners are all times in a game where the team gets a free go at keeping the ball. WTF do Scottish teams use these set plays to give the ball away?

And of course, why oh why oh why (etc) do all Hibs players run away from the man trying to take a throw in?

Quote Originally Posted by scm70nyd1973 View Post
    As brilliant an occasion as that was I'd rather not wait another 114 years till our next decent corner.

Quote Originally Posted by skipster7 View Post
    A quick throw in before the 3rd as well
    See above

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    See above
    Slivka scored from a quick throw in at Ibrox this season..::

Left by mutual consent!
    The problem isn't just not scoring goals from corners, it's creating absolutely no chances from them either. Every single one seems to be an absolute waste.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    We are missing Hendo's, Keatings' and Cummings' corners.
    Yes to Keatings and Hendo. Not sure if that Cummings was a great corner taker tbh.

All jokes aside it is an issue. We have a few players in the squad who are decent in the air and corners should be a great chance for us to press the opposition. At the moment though we're offering nothing.

@hibs.net private member
    Also agree on the throw in thing as well - my dad and I have been saying that for years!

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    Yes to Keatings and Hendo. Not sure if that Cummings was a great corner taker tbh.

All jokes aside it is an issue. We have a few players in the squad who are decent in the air and corners should be a great chance for us to press the opposition. At the moment though we're offering nothing.

Cummings' corners from the left side were excellent in his last few months here

Is it only a good corner if you score from it? Plenty of dangerous situations and good crosses from them today. One cleared off the line late 2nd half.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Is it only a good corner if you score from it? Plenty of dangerous situations and good crosses from them today. One cleared off the line late 2nd half.
    True MW, but I'd like to see far more variety and keeping the opposition guessing. For example, a good 'short corner' is playing a quick ball to the near post and drawing the defender out to mark the receiving player and creating angles.........or playing a hard 'pass' to the edge of the box and drawing out the whole back line.........we seem intent on always getting the ball into the box however don't vary the delivery. The OP is bang on, we don't capitalise on what is essentially a set piece.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post

Just wish we could hire Zitelli as a corner taking coach - I seem to recall his were pretty scary for the defences.

A lot of managers on this thread 😂

Corners and throw-ins were never our forte, except in cup finals.

Quote Originally Posted by poolman View Post
    Not a Manager - never will be - not being serious - I very rarely am - just having a bit of fun really and reminiscing over things on a dreich morning here in Auckland as I watch a tree being removed following a mini storm - wishing I was in Robbies having a few Don Revies.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    In short: throw ins, free kicks and corners are all times in a game where the team gets a free go at keeping the ball. WTF do Scottish teams use these set plays to give the ball away?

And of course, why oh why oh why (etc) do all Hibs players run away from the man trying to take a throw in?

i remember joking on here a few years ago that we should refuse to take throw-in's...for that very reason

I take it no one's memory stretches as far back as ooohhh rangers at ibrox?

You know, Stevenson throw in to slivka, slivka scores?

The throw in thing is a total myth.

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    I take it no one's memory stretches as far back as ooohhh rangers at ibrox?

You know, Stevenson throw in to slivka, slivka scores?

The throw in thing is a total myth.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

No sure you need to be a manager to see that we are.getting nothing from our corners ... you need to have.movement in the box to get a bit of space on your marker ..but the delivery needs to get into the area ...oh and you need a bit.of aggression and timing to want to get on the end of it ..but most important is putting the ball in the area !!!

First Team Breakthrough Hibs1969's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The young one View Post
    The last decent, quick throw in I can remember us take was in injury time on Saturday 21st May 2016. 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs1969 View Post
    The last decent, quick throw in I can remember us take was in injury time on Saturday 21st May 2016. 🙂
    I am an old git and I can recall and liked (still do) the throw in (not a really quick one right enough) for the first goal on 01/01/1973. Never get tired of watching it.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Maybe someone who has played the game at a higher level than me might be able to explain something to me. Just about every team in the world, seems to send their big players up for corners. These players then take up position "inside" the box. They dart about a bit and wrestle with the defender who is trying to mark them. They sometimes run to the front post, or try to peel off and curve backwards. But basically they stand in the box, jostling for position.

Why don't all the attacking players stand outside the box and as the corner is about to be taken, run in, so that:

A) there is a lot more space in the box to attack to ball
    B) They would be running towards the goal..attacking it
    C) they would not be jumping from a standing start as they are much of the time when just jostling around the box
    D) they would be much harder to mark as they would be running towards the goal
    E) The first two or three to set off, could run to the front/back post and pull defenders that way..thus creating space for those running a second later into the space created.

This never seems to happen...the majority attackers always start in the box...not run into it...why ?

First Team Breakthrough
    Fill them in.

Left by mutual consent!
    Don't need to be a manager to tell players that they need to beat the first man when taking a corner.