hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corners

First Team Breakthrough Hibbycol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We've had 28 corners in our last 2 away games, and created hehaw from any of them. Great that we're creating this many, but not resulting in any advantage to us
    Erm liam henderson can deliver from corners me thinks ☺

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbycol View Post
    Erm liam henderson can deliver from corners me thinks ☺

I think it's all down to the quality of the corner taker. We miss the likes of Liam/ James Keatings on set plays

First Team Breakthrough Hibbycol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    I think it's all down to the quality of the corner taker. We miss the likes of Liam/ James Keatings on set plays
    Agree ,maybe stats guys can tell me who took all the 28 corners ,is it mixed or same few ?

So happy with our team and club but throw ins....arghhhhh. Have never seen a team as slow taking them, and been the case for years.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    Maybe someone who has played the game at a higher level than me might be able to explain something to me. Just about every team in the world, seems to send their big players up for corners. These players then take up position "inside" the box. They dart about a bit and wrestle with the defender who is trying to mark them. They sometimes run to the front post, or try to peel off and curve backwards. But basically they stand in the box, jostling for position.

Why don't all the attacking players stand outside the box and as the corner is about to be taken, run in, so that:

A) there is a lot more space in the box to attack to ball
    B) They would be running towards the goal..attacking it
    C) they would not be jumping from a standing start as they are much of the time when just jostling around the box
    D) they would be much harder to mark as they would be running towards the goal
    E) The first two or three to set off, could run to the front/back post and pull defenders that way..thus creating space for those running a second later into the space created.

This never seems to happen...the majority attackers always start in the box...not run into it...why ?
    This happens all the time in the EPL. I agree, surely attacking the ball with momentum on your side would be more effective. Not sure why we don't see it in the SPL.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SRH View Post
    This happens all the time in the EPL. I agree, surely attacking the ball with momentum on your side would be more effective. Not sure why we don't see it in the SPL.
    Because teams in the SPL tend to play on the break more. Corners can backfire quite easily when the opposition are playing that way and you commit too many players forward.

Corners:

1) Stop lumping the ball down the keepers throat .... 90% of keepers in this league are competent and will catch or punch a high ball in the 6 yard box 99% of the time.

2) Get a couple of guys to the near post end of the 6 yard box, you have a much better chance of making something happen if you get to the ball first.

3) Have at least one player 25 yards from goal in a central position.

4) Have a player on the far side of the pitch from the corner, I've lost count of the number of over hit corners I've seen where the ball ends up in yards of space between the 18 yard box and the touchline without an attacking sides player anywhere near being in a position to get onto it.

5) As someone else said, try to give yourself a run onto the ball .... if you are a 5'10" forward being marked by a 6'2" centre half and you are both starting from a static position you have little or no chance of beating him in the air.

We had become pretty dangerous from them for a while - around the time of the Cup final and those playoffs we seemed to score loads from corners. Darren McGregor in particular seemed to be a big threat.

We seem to have been disappointing from corners from a bit.

I actually think we've improved quite a lot from throw-ins of late. I don't think we're anything like as bad as we've been, and as was mentioned we even got a goal from one at Ibrox.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    our mega corner count was mentioned on todays sportsound by archie macpherson, his family members that follow hibs mentioned it to him yogi is on the show as well

i can see our corner count getting mentioned on news at ten :)