hibs.net Messageboard

Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1
    Old Codger Hibstorian Jonnyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    East Lothian
    Age
    65
    Posts
    30,501

    This is how it feels (St Johnstone 9 September)

    On the road again to watch Hibs take on St Johnstone, with the home side looking to protect and perhaps add to their unbeaten run of league matches. They seemed pretty much at full strength while Neil Lennon surprised a few travelling fans with his starting line-up. A flat back four with Gray and Whittaker flanking Ambrose and Hanlon, behind an adventurous midfield quartet of Boyle, Bartley, McGinn and Barker with Stokes and Simon Murray up front. No Lewis again and no Slivka or Swanson, those three sharing the bench with Laidlaw, Porteous, McGeouch and Big Dave.

    To my mind it was a bold move going with two such out and out wide players as part of a four and in truth it took Hibs a good twenty minutes to find their feet. In that period, St Johnstone saw a lot of the ball but never really came anywhere near troubling Marciano. At the other end, Murray had a half chance but the ball from wide was delivered with such pace, Simon didn’t have the time to shape his body correctly. For the remaining twenty five minutes of the half I felt that Hibs dominated possession but the final ball was missing and Alan Mannus didn’t have a lot to do in the home goal.

    The second half had Hibs shooting towards the large mass of travelling fans, attacking from the off and Boyle forced Mannus into a fantastic save while Stokes and Murray both had efforts cleared off the line by Richard Foster. Ironically, it was a failed Hibs attack that led to them going behind. Bartley ran the ball out of play for a throw in to Saints, level with their 18 yard box. Quickly taken it caught both full backs out of position as Liam Craig flashed a ball across the Hibs box to find O’Halloran in acres of space in the Hibs left back position. Marciano had no chance and the goal came very much against the run of play.

    Picking themselves up from this setback, the fifth league game in a row that they’d gone behind, Hibs began to pummel the home defence and just past the hour mark a cut back from Murray would have Stokes six yards out but Michael Paton got there first to bullet the ball past Mannus. That winning goal, which I felt our play more than deserved, just would not come. Mannus again denied Boyle while Steven Anderson got his keeper out of trouble by heading off the line.

    Only a point then, when three were deserved but it has to be kept in mind that St Johnstone are a very good team and Tommy Wright has made them an impressive defensive unit when not in possession. I left the game disappointed we hadn’t won but very happy with the performance overall.

    My thoughts on our team

    Rocky – Just like at Dundee he had precious little to do and had no chance with the goal

    David Gray – worked his socks off for ninety minutes and looked far happier with Boyle ahead of him

    Efe – Remains an enigma. For the first twenty minutes he seemed to have developed a complex about heading the ball! Otherwise, with the odd Efe moment he was fine.

    Paul Hanlon – It’s getting monotonous saying he was excellent, but he was – again

    Whitty – Does not look comfortable at left back and was posted missing for the goal but he’s a good pro and helped Barker through the match with encouraging words in his ear

    Boyler - Am glad he’s back and he gave Easton a torrid time down our right. Still prone to the odd poor delivery having worked hard to create the space

    The Bart Man – Solid without being outstanding, though I was worried he’d sold the jerseys in time added on by stupidly and needlessly tripping a Saints player right in front of the referee. Thankfully, Liam Craig blasted his effort high and wide.

    SJM – Showed everyone today why he is known as Super. He was absolutely outstanding and if the man with the funny hat could have watched on he’d be crying into it. By a very long way, John was my man of the match

    Barker – Flitted in and out of the game as his pace didn’t help him much when up against the speedy Richard Foster. I do like what I see though and I’m sure he’ll more effective games in future

    Simon – This lad gets into so many good positions it’s not true. Unfortunately no-one in a Hibs jersey could pick him out! Did well at the goal in catching the ball on the goal line and squaring it towards Stokes with Paton getting there first

    Stokesy – A strange performance today. Some of his touches and flicks are a joy to behold but there were patches where he was marked absent. Two horrendous shots at goal in the second half were, I am sure, out of frustration

    Danny Swanson – replaced Barker and had one late opportunity to win it for Hibs but for whatever reason he seemed to want to beat another man when an earlier shot might well have hit the net

    Big Dave – Did nothing – and I mean nothing! Came on, in the dying seconds of time added on and never even got a touch of the ball.

    Next up is Motherwell at ER. They’re going well enough but all their points have, I think, been earned at Fir Park
    Last edited by Jonnyboy; 09-09-2017 at 08:37 PM.
    This is how it feels


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    20,693
    Can't argue with any if that JC. I thought the Swanson sub should have been 10 mins earlier as was the change up top. 2 points dropped on performance for me but would have taken a point before the match.

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member StevieT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Letham, Angus
    Age
    55
    Posts
    775
    SJM was miles ahead of anyone on the park today, and I mean miles

  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    56
    Posts
    19,261
    Agree with most of this JB. McGinn was head and shoulders above everyone. Thought Boyle was our biggest threat in the forward areas though, great to have him backThought Saints goal came after a poor header from SDG
    It's no disgrace dropping points at Saints, but like Dundee, we should have had 3 instead of 1

    I'm wondering what's happening with McGeough of late, as he's the link between midfield and attack

  6. #5
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Sunny Capital
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieT View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    SJM was miles ahead of anyone on the park today, and I mean miles
    Yeah Super John bossed the midfield outstanding.Could have been 3 but still a decent point plus I reckon there's still more to come from us.

  7. #6
    @hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,336
    Cheers JB. Following the game from Zy****hos with great internet but no feed. Big shout to Hibbykeith for the updates on the MB too.


    They’ve got to learn quickly. Inconsistency won’t be tolerated. It’s not acceptable for a club of this standard..” - Neil Lennon 9 June 2016

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member 3pm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    38
    Posts
    10,407
    We need realise games don't start at 3.15.

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree with most of this JB. McGinn was head and shoulders above everyone. Thought Boyle was our biggest threat in the forward areas though, great to have him backThought Saints goal came after a poor header from SDG
    It's no disgrace dropping points at Saints, but like Dundee, we should have had 3 instead of 1

    I'm wondering what's happening with McGeough of late, as he's the link between midfield and attack
    I agree re McGeouch - he has got to start next week for me. Too many long diagonals in the first twenty when we could have done with his ability to retain the ball and link the play as you say Billy

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We need realise games don't start at 3.15.
    we were excellent after that and could and should have won, some great football.

  11. #10
    @hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 'Mains
    Posts
    2,735
    Another enjoyable read
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

  12. #11
    Coaching Staff Ronniekirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Paisley
    Posts
    7,013
    Wasnt at the game Johhnyboy but noted your comment about Whittaker posted missing at the goal Thats two games in a row he has cost us a goal
    Although if we could score two goals we would of won both these games


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #12
    First Team Breakthrough Mango Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Peebles
    Posts
    497
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wasnt at the game Johhnyboy but noted your comment about Whittaker posted missing at the goal Thats two games in a row he has cost us a goal
    Although if we could score two goals we would of won both these games


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Absolutely not convinced with Whittaker at left back, good as cover to Lewis, but that is 2 goals in 2 games from his position.

  14. #13
    @hibs.net private member brog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6,045
    Blog Entries
    1
    Many thanks John, much appreciated as ever.

  15. #14
    Cheers Jonnyboy. My mate at the game echoed that SJM was streets ahead of everyone but he also said Ambrose was at fault for the goal. Anyone else think think so?

  16. #15
    @hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    56
    Posts
    19,261
    Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cheers Jonnyboy. My mate at the game echoed that SJM was streets ahead of everyone but he also said Ambrose was at fault for the goal. Anyone else think think so?
    Haven't seen it since the game, will watch it now

  17. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wasnt at the game Johhnyboy but noted your comment about Whittaker posted missing at the goal Thats two games in a row he has cost us a goal
    Although if we could score two goals we would of won both these games


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wasn't at the game either and haven't seen the goal yet so won't judge anyone yet but it seems harsh to blame him for the Dundee goal considering most agreed the boy dived to win the penalty.

  18. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cheers Jonnyboy. My mate at the game echoed that SJM was streets ahead of everyone but he also said Ambrose was at fault for the goal. Anyone else think think so?
    My brother in law was at the game and questioned the positioning of the keeper.

  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    56
    Posts
    19,261
    Just watched it, Gray gives the ball away, and gets caught out of position. Ambrose gets caught out of position as well, and Saints have a 3 v 2 in the box

  20. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just watched it, Gray gives the ball away, and gets caught out of position. Ambrose gets caught out of position as well, and Saints have a 3 v 2 in the box
    Sounds like a bit of a mess in general. Hopefully doesn't become a running theme but a point in Perth is not a bad result so don't want to get too hung up about it.

  21. #20
    Coaching Staff Ronniekirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Paisley
    Posts
    7,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wasn't at the game either and haven't seen the goal yet so won't judge anyone yet but it seems harsh to blame him for the Dundee goal considering most agreed the boy dived to win the penalty.
    Was at that game and ok the guy made the most of it but Whittaker had a slow start to the game and allowed the player too much room but to his credit he came onto a good game after that
    Just frustrated we have turned two good performances into two wins when we have been the. Better team .,those extra four points would of put us in a great position
    But will be there on Saturday and cheering the team on for hopefully. Win


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #21
    First Team Breakthrough Hibbycol's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On the road again to watch Hibs take on St Johnstone, with the home side looking to protect and perhaps add to their unbeaten run of league matches. They seemed pretty much at full strength while Neil Lennon surprised a few travelling fans with his starting line-up. A flat back four with Gray and Whittaker flanking Ambrose and Hanlon, behind an adventurous midfield quartet of Boyle, Bartley, McGinn and Barker with Stokes and Simon Murray up front. No Lewis again and no Slivka or Swanson, those three sharing the bench with Laidlaw, Porteous, McGeouch and Big Dave.

    To my mind it was a bold move going with two such out and out wide players as part of a four and in truth it took Hibs a good twenty minutes to find their feet. In that period, St Johnstone saw a lot of the ball but never really came anywhere near troubling Marciano. At the other end, Murray had a half chance but the ball from wide was delivered with such pace, Simon didn’t have the time to shape his body correctly. For the remaining twenty five minutes of the half I felt that Hibs dominated possession but the final ball was missing and Alan Mannus didn’t have a lot to do in the home goal.

    The second half had Hibs shooting towards the large mass of travelling fans, attacking from the off and Boyle forced Mannus into a fantastic save while Stokes and Murray both had efforts cleared off the line by Richard Foster. Ironically, it was a failed Hibs attack that led to them going behind. Bartley ran the ball out of play for a throw in to Saints, level with their 18 yard box. Quickly taken it caught both full backs out of position as Liam Craig flashed a ball across the Hibs box to find O’Halloran in acres of space in the Hibs left back position. Marciano had no chance and the goal came very much against the run of play.

    Picking themselves up from this setback, the fifth league game in a row that they’d gone behind, Hibs began to pummel the home defence and just past the hour mark a cut back from Murray would have Stokes six yards out but Michael Paton got there first to bullet the ball past Mannus. That winning goal, which I felt our play more than deserved, just would not come. Mannus again denied Boyle while Steven Anderson got his keeper out of trouble by heading off the line.

    Only a point then, when three were deserved but it has to be kept in mind that St Johnstone are a very good team and Tommy Wright has made them an impressive defensive unit when not in possession. I left the game disappointed we hadn’t won but very happy with the performance overall.

    My thoughts on our team

    Rocky – Just like at Dundee he had precious little to do and had no chance with the goal

    David Gray – worked his socks off for ninety minutes and looked far happier with Boyle ahead of him

    Efe – Remains an enigma. For the first twenty minutes he seemed to have developed a complex about heading the ball! Otherwise, with the odd Efe moment he was fine.

    Paul Hanlon – It’s getting monotonous saying he was excellent, but he was – again

    Whitty – Does not look comfortable at left back and was posted missing for the goal but he’s a good pro and helped Barker through the match with encouraging words in his ear

    Boyler - Am glad he’s back and he gave Easton a torrid time down our right. Still prone to the odd poor delivery having worked hard to create the space

    The Bart Man – Solid without being outstanding, though I was worried he’d sold the jerseys in time added on by stupidly and needlessly tripping a Saints player right in front of the referee. Thankfully, Liam Craig blasted his effort high and wide.

    SJM – Showed everyone today why he is known as Super. He was absolutely outstanding and if the man with the funny hat could have watched on he’d be crying into it. By a very long way, John was my man of the match

    Barker – Flitted in and out of the game as his pace didn’t help him much when up against the speedy Richard Foster. I do like what I see though and I’m sure he’ll more effective games in future

    Simon – This lad gets into so many good positions it’s not true. Unfortunately no-one in a Hibs jersey could pick him out! Did well at the goal in catching the ball on the goal line and squaring it towards Stokes with Paton getting there first

    Stokesy – A strange performance today. Some of his touches and flicks are a joy to behold but there were patches where he was marked absent. Two horrendous shots at goal in the second half were, I am sure, out of frustration

    Danny Swanson – replaced Barker and had one late opportunity to win it for Hibs but for whatever reason he seemed to want to beat another man when an earlier shot might well have hit the net

    Big Dave – Did nothing – and I mean nothing! Came on, in the dying seconds of time added on and never even got a touch of the ball.

    Next up is Motherwell at ER. They’re going well enough but all their points have, I think, been earned at Fir Park
    Agree ,we really need to start to finish teams off when we are on top, we pummeled them yesterday but couldn't find that elusive winner ,great travelling support to ,think there where more hibbys than home supporters which is fantastic, come on hibs start rewarding us with wins,three points,and climbing the league

    Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

  23. #22
    Old Codger Hibstorian Jonnyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    East Lothian
    Age
    65
    Posts
    30,501
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My brother in law was at the game and questioned the positioning of the keeper.
    It was at the far end from our seats but I didn't think the keeper could have done anything to prevent the goal really.
    This is how it feels

  24. #23
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Age
    66
    Posts
    2,996
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wasnt at the game Johhnyboy but noted your comment about Whittaker posted missing at the goal Thats two games in a row he has cost us a goal
    Although if we could score two goals we would of won both these games


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bit harsh blaming Whittaker for the goal methinks.

    Watched the highlights and he had to run to the near post to cover the unmarked player there, rather than stand back at the far post where the ball eventually ended up.

    Damned if he did, damned of he didn't as the saying goes.

  25. #24
    @hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    47
    Posts
    4,487
    We tend to be over critical with our players for every goal conceded. Given the quality of the all round performance, rather than finger pointing and looking for blame I'm just accepting that it was a well worked goal from Saints with a killer ball into O'Halloran. Different if there was some catastrophic blundering going on, but that really wasn't the case.

  26. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We tend to be over critical with our players for every goal conceded. Given the quality of the all round performance, rather than finger pointing and looking for blame I'm just accepting that it was a well worked goal from Saints with a killer ball into O'Halloran. Different if there was some catastrophic blundering going on, but that really wasn't the case.
    Agreed - we always try and find the blame. At the moment though there are a few specifically trying to find fault with Whittaker for some reason.

  27. #26
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    22,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bit harsh blaming Whittaker for the goal methinks.

    Watched the highlights and he had to run to the near post to cover the unmarked player there, rather than stand back at the far post where the ball eventually ended up.

    Damned if he did, damned of he didn't as the saying goes.
    I think that was right he had a choice to make and unfortunately the ball was allowed to be played across the goal to the scorer.

  28. #27
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    22,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We tend to be over critical with our players for every goal conceded. Given the quality of the all round performance, rather than finger pointing and looking for blame I'm just accepting that it was a well worked goal from Saints with a killer ball into O'Halloran. Different if there was some catastrophic blundering going on, but that really wasn't the case.
    Agree with that a well taken breakaway goal against a team who are good at that.

  29. #28
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    39
    Posts
    5,301
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We tend to be over critical with our players for every goal conceded. Given the quality of the all round performance, rather than finger pointing and looking for blame I'm just accepting that it was a well worked goal from Saints with a killer ball into O'Halloran. Different if there was some catastrophic blundering going on, but that really wasn't the case.
    Very good point.

    Yes, it is useful to look back and analyse where things go wrong.

    But sometimes you just have to take your hat off to good attacking play. Whittaker has made mistakes this season, but there is nothing to be gained from accusing him when he is not at fault.

    He was damned if he did, damned if he didn't there. He was a bit unfortunate in the last game, not badly at fault. He could have done better for one of the Rangers goals at Ibrox and we was as bad as everyone else against Hamilton.

    He's more than made up for all that with some good attacking play.

    We got a point away to a decent side and were unlucky not to win the game.

    Witch hunt over - on to next week.

    Rather than pick out individuals being at fault, I'd like to work out why collectively, as a team, we haven't worked out how to score first in a game. The whole bunch need to concentrate better right from the kickoff.

  30. #29
    Old Codger Hibstorian Jonnyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    East Lothian
    Age
    65
    Posts
    30,501
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bit harsh blaming Whittaker for the goal methinks.

    Watched the highlights and he had to run to the near post to cover the unmarked player there, rather than stand back at the far post where the ball eventually ended up.

    Damned if he did, damned of he didn't as the saying goes.
    Good post, Fred. I was at the opposite end from where the goal was scored and was guilty of watching the ball . Also, I write this from memory and before I watch any highlights
    This is how it feels

  31. #30
    @hibs.net private member Ritchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Gilmerton
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,379
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Rich Tea12
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bit harsh blaming Whittaker for the goal methinks.

    Watched the highlights and he had to run to the near post to cover the unmarked player there, rather than stand back at the far post where the ball eventually ended up.

    Damned if he did, damned of he didn't as the saying goes.
    I was at the game sitting behind the goal and my initial thought was that Whitty was caught out of position but i've watched the highlights and you can't blame him - he did the right thing coming inside to cover

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved