hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brandon Barker

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe try giving him a chance instead of constantly putting him and his ability down?
    Maybe his/her username reflects his/her general mood
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thebausburst View Post
    Wishful thinking mate, not much evidence Barker can have a field day against anyone
    Miss his 70/80 yard run down the flank today? On his debut he had a pretty poor game but he very nearly created an amazing goal by cuttings inside and beating a couple of players. Against Dundee he was unplayable for the first half an hour.

I’m not going to list every successful dribble he’s had but to suggest he’s not shown anything so far is nonsense imo.

I think he’s a good player that’s not far away from it all clicking and him having a stormer.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Miss his 70/80 yard run down the flank today? On his debut he had a pretty poor game but he very nearly created an amazing goal by cuttings inside and beating a couple of players. Against Dundee he was unplayable for the first half an hour.

I’m not going to list every successful dribble he’s had but to suggest he’s not shown anything so far is nonsense imo.

I think he’s a good player that’s not far away from it all clicking and him having a stormer.
    No end product, saw the run but imo he's not a patch on Boyle who I do rate very highly, don't see a place for both of them in the same team, feel we look imbalanced and vulnerable cause Barker is poor defensively

Not a patch on our own Boyle, Barker has zero end product 90% of the time, the odd exciting run is eye catching but how many actually result in anything?
    You took the words out of my mouth.

No end product, saw the run but imo he's not a patch on Boyle who I do rate very highly, don't see a place for both of them in the same team, feel we look imbalanced and vulnerable cause Barker is poor defensively
    Gosh, another poster who has taken the words out of mouth

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Today was easily his best game. If he keeps playing like that, he’ll be a big player for us this season.

United we stand here....

I thought he played well today and **** me the boy is fast!

He's at hibs to develop as a player and that includes his final ball. Let's not forget when M.Boyle first joined he was similar although I believe Barker has more natural ability.

I wouldn't start him on Tues. It's the type of game where Levein will tell his players to take him out early on and see if he is up for the fight. Impact sub with 25 to go and he'll run riot

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Today was easily his best game. If he keeps playing like that, he’ll be a big player for us this season.
    Thought he was lively when he actually got the ball first half. Pretty non existent second half. Thought he was much better up at Dundee. Didn't actually do anything that resulted in a chance today really.

Left by mutual consent!
    I'd be interested to see him playing more centrally. Reminds me so much of Scott Allan actually.

Really surprised to read negative comments about Barker here . Thought he was outstanding in the first half , less involved in the second half understandable given the effort he`d put in in first half . No end result say some - true that he doesn`t score many for us or his previous clubs but he certainly makes chances for others - get someone in with Stokes in winter window ( Murray and Boyle are not good enough to be top 6 Premiership strikers ) and with Barker we`ll have a fantastic attack . Don`t see need to compare Barker with Boyle , in some matches both can play , in others only one or neither . Today against strong opposition I thought he was great , not afraid to attack and he can use both feet . Compare that with Boyle last week also against strong opposition where he constantly turned back onto his bad left foot and we lost momentum . Anyway , if Barker plays like that for the rest of the season he`ll have been a great signing and will certainly have other clubs following him if Man C don`t keep him .

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Thought he was lively when he actually got the ball first half. Pretty non existent second half. Thought he was much better up at Dundee. Didn't actually do anything that resulted in a chance today really.
    He was a great outball all second half. Him on one side and Boyle on the other gave Celtic something to think about. I’d start both of them against the slow untalented hearts.

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Thought he was very good in spells today. Would love to see him start on the left with Boyle on the right on Tuesday with Slivka dropping out who's just not doing it for me. Although I feel sorry for him as he's never a wide midfielder.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Barkers qualities are that he is rapid and looks good technically. Today was by far and away his best turnout for us.

His drawback for me currently seems to be his lack of a football brain (positionally, end product, decision making, defensive, 50 50s) and is why i think he will dissapear down the leagues in England after he leaves us.

@hibs.net private member
    He had one very good run today and credit to the lad for that, but I just don't see him as an enhancement to the first team. Boyle is a far more exciting and dangerous player in my view being something of the old fashioned winger.

Barker simply doesn't catch the eye much and I find myself being reminded that he is actually playing.

That said, he may yet be a worthwhile squad player at the moment, though I'm not convinced 2 wingers against Hearts will work.

Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    Really surprised to read negative comments about Barker here . Thought he was outstanding in the first half , less involved in the second half understandable given the effort he`d put in in first half . No end result say some - true that he doesn`t score many for us or his previous clubs but he certainly makes chances for others - get someone in with Stokes in winter window ( Murray and Boyle are not good enough to be top 6 Premiership strikers ) and with Barker we`ll have a fantastic attack . Don`t see need to compare Barker with Boyle , in some matches both can play , in others only one or neither . Today against strong opposition I thought he was great , not afraid to attack and he can use both feet . Compare that with Boyle last week also against strong opposition where he constantly turned back onto his bad left foot and we lost momentum . Anyway , if Barker plays like that for the rest of the season he`ll have been a great signing and will certainly have other clubs following him if Man C don`t keep him .

First Team Breakthrough
    I've been impressed by Barker most times I've seen him to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Amazing how folk see things differently

Folk talk about Barker having no football brain and then cite Boyle as having one. Really?

Boyle has done great for Hibs and I am sure will continue to do so but his good play is completely instinctive and borne out of chances created by his pace.

Tierney stood off him today giving him no chance of knocking it past him or being played in behind him and Boyle was utterly lost as to what to do and consequently other than long McGinn switched balls saw little of the ball.

Boyle's infield darts invariably result in his running into trouble and having the ball taken from him.

I know he needs to mix it up but virtually all Boyle's god play comes from balls beyond the defender he can run onto or his knocking it past the defender and beating him in a race, he has very little trickery and is inconsistent as hell

It is early days for Barker, who is hugely inexperienced and has a lot to learn but he has ability and a bit of trickery.

Like all wingers he is and likely always will be inconsistent, largely because wingers are judged on their beating players, crosses and goalscoring which makes them far more likely to lose possession, not knocking dolly balls all across the midfield with little risk attached.
    Last edited by BSEJVT; 21-10-2017 at 09:20 PM.

How many crosses did he actually deliver. Not convinced by Barker.

I’ve a feeling he’ll do damage against Hearts.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    Amazing how folk see things differently

Folk talk about Barker having no football brain and then cite Boyle as having one. Really?

Boyle has done great for Hibs and I am sure will continue to do so but his good play is completely instinctive and borne out of chances created by his pace.

Tierney stood off him today giving him no chance of knocking it past him or being played in behind him and Boyle was utterly lost as to what to do and consequently other than long McGinn switched balls saw little of the ball.

Boyle's infield darts invariably result in his running into trouble and having the ball taken from him.

I know he needs to mix it up but virtually all Boyle's god play comes from balls beyond the defender he can run onto or his knocking it past the defender and beating him in a race, he has very little trickery and is inconsistent as hell

It is early days for Barker, who is hugely inexperienced and has a lot to learn but he has ability and a bit of trickery.

Like all wingers he is and likely always will be inconsistent, largely because wingers are judged on their beating players, crosses and goalscoring which makes them far more likely to lose possession, not knocking dolly balls all across the midfield with little risk attached.
    Boyle has end product. That is goals and assists. He also wins penalties and gets players booked.

Barker is yet to do any of that. Once he does you might have a point.

Barker was causing Lustig all sorts of problems in the first half. It was laughable when Lustig got MoM. Barker was definitely our main threat during that period although Celtic snuffed out the supply to him in the second half.

He has just joined the club and has also been injured. I would imagine that from now on, if fit, he will start more frequently than Boyle. I certainly hope he starts on Tuesday.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've seen a season on season improvement in Boyle's play as he, like Barker, clearly has ability. I expect Barker will make similar improvement but it might just be a future team that reaps the benefits.

Duncan Watmore and Sunderland spring to mind.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I thought Barker was good today, and was good when he came in against Aberdeen last week.

For me, he's a very talented player with a lot of potential. The more games he gets at this level, the better he'll get.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    Boyle has end product. That is goals and assists. He also wins penalties and gets players booked.

Barker is yet to do any of that. Once he does you might have a point.
    How many goals has Boyle scored for us this season or before when we were in a lower division ? Not many . Not really a criticism as he`s probably never been considered to be a striker ( remember all the sitters he missed in games last season ? ) but even playing upfront he scored fewer goals than Stanton or Harris in same league playing in weaker teams and playing upfront . Good sub to bring on against tired bottom 6 or lower opposition but nowhere near good enough to be a regular starter whether as winger or striker if we seriously want to be challenging for top 3 or better .

I did enjoy the 70 yard run and when he latched onto his own through pass beating two defenders.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    How many crosses did he actually deliver. Not convinced by Barker.
    Stokes was up front himself.

How many times did he have someone to cross it too? He could have aimlessly chucked it in there of course however I felt we were more likely to create something by running at his man, I think the best we really got was a few corners and a shot that hit the side netting but I don’t see that as his fault, we just lacked numbers in the final third.

Wishful thinking mate, not much evidence Barker can have a field day against anyone
    Disagree. The boy has definite potential to cut into that box on Tuesday night and cause a bit of glorious mayhem.

Talented player who can only get better as the season starts to develop.

He goes past defenders very easily with his pace and skill.

His final ball of poor however, the amount of times this season he has got into a good position to lash at it with his left foot which hits the side net in mental.

That is just decision making though and will come with the more games he plays and confidence he gets.

There is no doubt he is a good player

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar
    I like him but there is times he actually looks scared to run at players/ take them on. Boyle was much more effective when he came on.