hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Liam Henderson

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar

Liam Henderson

Not even on the bench for a second string Celtic last night. Come on home Son. The thought of him in the strip of any other Scottish club makes me sick.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    He's had so little exposure in the last year that his appeal and attraction to other teams must have really dwindled. The rumour that it was Celtic's high valuation of him that put clubs off trying to sign him might not be far off the mark but surely now they can't demand a big fee for him ( there would be a development fee I think). It's anyone's guess as to where he will end up and I can't help feeling he's made one or two bad decisions along the way. Lennon said that the 'Hibs have concluded business in this window' statement did not come from him and, with a wee twinkle in his eye, suggested that if the opportunity to get someone else in arose he might be tempted. You never know.

Left by mutual consent! Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's had so little exposure in the last year that his appeal and attraction to other teams must have really dwindled. The rumour that it was Celtic's high valuation of him that put clubs off trying to sign him might not be far off the mark but surely now they can't demand a big fee for him ( there would be a development fee I think). It's anyone's guess as to where he will end up and I can't help feeling he's made one or two bad decisions along the way. Lennon said that the 'Hibs have concluded business in this window' statement did not come from him and, with a wee twinkle in his eye, suggested that if the opportunity to get someone else in arose he might be tempted. You never know.
    Fingers crossed' would love to see Hendo back💚

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Tin hat on here but where would he fit into that team? Why break the bank signing a player who has hardly played first team football and has no guarantee of starting every week.

I'm a massive Henderson fan but we don't need him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    It will be another striker if/when Graham goes imo...i don't think we have room in the squad for Hendo sadly with the additions of Swanson and Slivka...happily be proven wrong tho

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post
    Tin hat on here but where would he fit into that team? Why break the bank signing a player who has hardly played first team football and has no guarantee of starting every week.

I agree. Not much point in him leaving Celtic to sit on our bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post

I see this argument a lot but to me it's very short term thinking.

We undoubtedly have a strong midfield at the moment but throw an injury to McGeough and a suspension for Bartley (neither requiring a massive stretch of the imagination) into the equation and it starts to look light. We haven't really added to the midfield from last year, only replaced (or improved upon) those who left.

Further we have to accept that John McGinn isn't likely to be at Hibs beyond next summer, if he continues his current form and given his contract situation then he is going to be hot property next year and Hibs will have to start to think about dealing. If a deal can be done to bring in a player who has quality in abundance to give us another option now and start to bed him in as a long term replacement for McGinn as part of the process then it's a no brainer imo.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I thought Liam was a quality player when playing for us, Bartley out injured already but we have Slivka we have to give him a bit of time to adjust. I really do have a high regard for Liam and think he would be a great addition to the squad. Whatever happens I wish him all the best for his future carreer.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    I agree. Not much point in him leaving Celtic to sit on our bench.
    I said on another thread about a month ago that if he didn't come soon the Hibs boat would sail without him. Guess what? It's anchors aweigh.

Was told Celtic want north of £500k plus a sell on clause for Hendo. Not going to happen. Out of contract in the summer though I think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely adore hendo. The passion he showed when he played for us was different class, a very neat footballer as well. However, we already have Slivka, McGeough, McGinn, Bartley, Swanson and F.Murray in midfield and we don't need him.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

He is on the verge of signing for an English club. We had a bid turned down.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoalsMcGinley View Post
    Was told Celtic want north of £500k plus a sell on clause for Hendo. Not going to happen. Out of contract in the summer though I think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Development fee will cover them. Celtic aren't acting in the best interests of Henderson which is a shame. He will end up down South for £300k or so. He wants to come back.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    If Graham leaves Hibs I'd rather we signed another forward if we sign anyone. It's a shame Henderson moving to ER hasn't worked out. Hope he gets first team football somewhere soon.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I'd love to see him at Hibs again but I don't think it'll happen, mainly because Celtic want too much and he'd want first team football which might not be a guarantee at Hibs at the moment.

Mind you, could see him and Swanson interchanging and if Mcgeouch were to pick up another injury we could start looking a little light in the midfield.

@hibs.net private member
    If he's available and within our budget then it's a no brainier - get him signed!

As another poster said McGinn won't be around forever and with McGeough'injury record I don't think it's too much of a stretch to suggest the won't play every game this season.

Earlier in the summer when we looked light up front Henderson wasn't a priority but now the squad looks really strong all round I think take the chance to sign anyone that improves us, especially players at his age.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I see this argument a lot but to me it's very short term thinking.

We undoubtedly have a strong midfield at the moment but throw an injury to McGeough and a suspension for Bartley (neither requiring a massive stretch of the imagination) into the equation and it starts to look light. We haven't really added to the midfield from last year, only replaced (or improved upon) those who left.

Further we have to accept that John McGinn isn't likely to be at Hibs beyond next summer, if he continues his current form and given his contract situation then he is going to be hot property next year and Hibs will have to start to think about dealing. If a deal can be done to bring in a player who has quality in abundance to give us another option now and start to bed him in as a long term replacement for McGinn as part of the process then it's a no brainer imo.

Isn't Liam in the last year of his contract?

I can see him coming here next summer (especially if SJM goes) but not sure if Celtc will make it viable for us to sign him in this window.

Shame because the guy's career is stalling right now.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    If he's available and within our budget then it's a no brainier - get him signed!

As another poster said McGinn won't be around forever and with McGeough'injury record I don't think it's too much of a stretch to suggest the won't play every game this season.

Earlier in the summer when we looked light up front Henderson wasn't a priority but now the squad looks really strong all round I think take the chance to sign anyone that improves us, especially players at his age.
    Like what you did there with 'stretch' with regard to McGeouch!

Totally agree with you. Would take Hendo for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Isn't Liam in the last year of his contract?

I can see him coming here next summer (especially if SJM goes) but not sure if Celtc will make it viable for us to sign him in this window.

Shame because the guy's career is stalling right now.

He'll still cost us a few bob as we'll have to pay a development fee, all Celtic have to do is offer him the same wage as he's on and the fee kicks in if he signs elsewhere, best to do a deal now on a smaller fee with add ons.

We already have McGinn , McGeough , Slivka and Swanson who are similar players to Henderson. I know Swanson has been played as a left sided midfielder but he is not a typical winger as such as he likes to cut inside and is similar to Henderson in that way.

If we are going to be spending a few hundred thousand on a transfer fee and significant amount on wages I think another striker or a left sided out and out winger should be the priority. Saying that , if Hendo does come back I wont be too upset as I think he has the potential to be a very good player.

I know we have said our transfer dealing are done for the summer but that could change depending on the League Cup draw tomorrow. If we draw Sevco or Celtic away we are looking at 50% of a circa 50k crowd plus TV money. That will be a good few hundred thousand that was not budgeted for.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    He'll still cost us a few bob as we'll have to pay a development fee, all Celtic have to do is offer him the same wage as he's on and the fee kicks in if he signs elsewhere, best to do a deal now on a smaller fee with add ons.

Ah yes, fair point.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Maybe we didn't want him cuptied

@hibs.net private member
    I'd take him on a free or a loan again but would not consider him at the prices being talked about. He's got to show more ambition than he is just now or he'll end up with career like Scot Allen but with less money

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Left by mutual consent! Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    🙏 😃

Quote Originally Posted by 18Hibee75 View Post
    Absolutely adore hendo. The passion he showed when he played for us was different class, a very neat footballer as well. However, we already have Slivka, McGeough, McGinn, Bartley, Swanson and F.Murray in midfield and we don't need him.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk
    I'm afraid you're right. We don't need him. I'd have Commons back though.

Left by mutual consent!
    Longer term Henderson would be a great signing and probable successor to McGinn. I would definitely not turn my nose up at him coming back.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    Longer term Henderson would be a great signing and probable successor to McGinn. I would definitely not turn my nose up at him coming back.
    I agree. Although we've moved on without him, I'd still love to have him on board.

Leaving aside the fact that it would be brilliant to have Liam back in a Hibs shirt I do wonder if he is being well advised regarding his career. I do not get the impression that he is the kind of guy where at this stage the money matters more than the pleasure of playing and more to the point playing first team football.

There has to come a time where he recognises that he is not in Celtic's plans, if he was surely, barring injury, he would have played last night or at least been on the bench. This is a kid with the potential to be an absolutely top notch player at Scottish premiership level or better and it would be a crying shame if his career was to continue to stall at Parkhead ...... He refuses to go out on loan again so the question has to be in what way is he going to even stay at the level he achieved at Easter Road playing development games and 5 a side training matches at Celtic?

Even if it isn't to Hibs FFS get out of there ya wee legend

“It’s weird, this relationship between Hibs and me,” he says. The loanee has returned to his parent club but still hankers after what he had at Easter Road. “It’s like I’ve split up with my girlfriend but am still in love with her.” - liam henderson

That is the kind of person we need and if/when McGinn goes next season then maybe we should be ready to make an offer sooner rather than later?

Saying that I trust Lennon to do what is needed.

Last edited by andybev1; 09-08-2017 at 03:22 PM.