hibs.net Messageboard

Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1
    Testimonial Due Elephant Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    25
    Posts
    2,008

    Is John McGinn Neil Lennon's man yet?

    Stubbs is my favourite ever manager but the song needs changed, IMO. It's been a while since he managed us, it's Lennon who is picking McGinn every week and he's just committed himself long term to the club, there is no better time to make the tweak. "Neil Lennon's man" sounds better anyway. Let's do it!


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    First Team Breakthrough Mick O'Rourke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Clermiston
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stubbs is my favourite ever manager but the song needs changed, IMO. It's been a while since he managed us, it's Lennon who is picking McGinn every week and he's just committed himself long term to the club, there is no better time to make the tweak. "Neil Lennon's man" sounds better anyway. Let's do it!
    If not for Alan Stubbs,John may not have arrived at Easter Road.

    The song not only celebrates John, but for me it is also reminder of the contribution Alan Stubbs made to our long awaited cup success.

    Maybe Alan Stubbs deserves his own song for that achievement.


    Long may the SJM song,as it is, continue
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 09-09-2017 at 09:34 AM.

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Age
    44
    Posts
    7,911
    No, he will always be Allan Stubbs' man!

    The TA in Vilnuis were singing he's Gordon Strachan's man when he came on.......

  5. #4
    Alan stubbs' man. Nice nod to the past and all they achieved together!!

  6. #5
    Coaching Staff jacomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    11,867
    Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stubbs is my favourite ever manager but the song needs changed, IMO. It's been a while since he managed us, it's Lennon who is picking McGinn every week and he's just committed himself long term to the club, there is no better time to make the tweak. "Neil Lennon's man" sounds better anyway. Let's do it!

    What's the problem with singing Alan Stubbs name? He's the manager who brought the Scottish Cup back to Leith.

    Lenny needs his own songs too of course.

  7. #6
    Testimonial Due Elephant Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    25
    Posts
    2,008
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's the problem with singing Alan Stubbs name? He's the manager who brought the Scottish Cup back to Leith.

    Lenny needs his own songs too of course.
    Nothing wrong with singing Stubbs' name. As I said, he's my favourite ever manager and he should always have some sort of song, but I would say that since it's been a while since Stubbs left, and Lennon has committed himself to the club, I would say that McGinn is more Lennon's man than he is Stubbs'. Not a huge deal, just a preference.

  8. #7
    No. He'll always be Alan Stubbs's man.

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, he will always be Allan Stubbs' man!

    The TA in Vilnuis were singing he's Gordon Strachan's man when he came on.......
    Fannies

  10. #9
    This seems to be one of those issues that is made out to be a bit of a bigger deal than it actually is (not that I'm suggesting the Op is making a big deal but it crops up a lot across various platforms).

    The original wording is fine. Neil Lennon gets plenty appreciation from Hibs fans, his name was belted out throughout the game at Ibrox recently, and I'm sure he's aware of his popularity with Hibs fans. The words of a song that is primarily about a player as opposed to the manager really don't matter at all imo.
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This seems to be one of those issues that is made out to be a bit of a bigger deal than it actually is (not that I'm suggesting the Op is making a big deal but it crops up a lot across various platforms).

    The original wording is fine. Neil Lennon gets plenty appreciation from Hibs fans, his name was belted out throughout the game at Ibrox recently, and I'm sure he's aware of his popularity with Hibs fans. The words of a song that is primarily about a player as opposed to the manager really don't matter at all imo.

    Good post. Agree with every word

  12. #11
    @hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Age
    44
    Posts
    7,911
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fannies
    Charming

  13. #12
    First Team Breakthrough squire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    30
    Posts
    226
    The King is dead. Long live the King.

  14. #13
    I agree it's a good little nod towards stubbsy and what he managed to do.

    Nothing to see here.

  15. #14
    Testimonial Due Wilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Falkirk
    Posts
    3,494
    Quote Originally Posted by RoscoHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree it's a good little nod towards stubbsy and what he managed to do.

    Nothing to see here.
    Besides, if we were to change it we may as well future proof it by singing "he's Mark Warburton's man!"

  16. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Charming
    Exactly. God forbid the support get behind john when he's making it at international level.. or should Scotland fans be singing hibs songs about Alan stubbs too!!

  17. #16
    First Team Regular 1van Sprou7e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Doon Leith
    Posts
    990
    To be fair the idea of old firm and hearts fans singing SJM gives me the boak

  18. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To be fair the idea of old firm and hearts fans gives me the boak
    Fixed it for you

  19. #18
    Testimonial Due Austinho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,895
    Man United fans (well, their away fans at least) still belt out songs about Ronaldo, Solskjaer, George Best, Vidic, Giggs, even Diego Forlan etc at every game. Nothing wrong about us singing about past players and managers either. In fact, I say bring back old classics like the Ivan Sproule, Rob Jones, Joe T, Sauzee and Keith Wright chants on a regular basis.

  20. #19
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    329
    Maybe change it to leanne dempsters man as she's the one who ultimately decides whether he is sold or not!

  21. #20
    Testimonial Due Big_Franck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,590
    Quote Originally Posted by RoYO! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Alan stubbs' man. Nice nod to the past and all they achieved together!!
    Agreed. It's clearly a wee nod and thanks to him now that we (quite rightly) don't sing the Stubbsy song anymore. There are plenty other songs we can include Lennnon in, this one's fine as it is IMO.

  22. #21
    First Team Breakthrough OxoHibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stubbs is my favourite ever manager but the song needs changed, IMO. It's been a while since he managed us, it's Lennon who is picking McGinn every week and he's just committed himself long term to the club, there is no better time to make the tweak. "Neil Lennon's man" sounds better anyway. Let's do it!
    I'm with you. Stubbs is only on here song as he was manager at the time. He is now lennons man

  23. #22
    Testimonial Due SanFranHibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,053
    Quote Originally Posted by OxoHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm with you. Stubbs is only on here song as he was manager at the time. He is now lennons man
    He's every Hibees man,
    We've got super John McGinn

  24. #23
    @hibs.net private member bod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, he will always be Allan Stubbs' man!

    The TA in Vilnuis were singing he's Gordon Strachan's man when he came on.......
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fannies

    Allan Stubbs & Gordon strachan fannies ?

  25. #24
    First Team Breakthrough Mick O'Rourke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Clermiston
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by bod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Allan Stubbs & Gordon strachan fannies ?

    Lol
    You know he meant the TA

    Not many individual players get songs sung about them when playing for Scotland.
    (Some dont usually last long enough (not the songs...... the players!!

    The Tartan Army are usually singing about going down roads and deers in drops of golden sun

    May John's continued involvement with Scotland last for many years.
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 09-09-2017 at 07:27 PM.

  26. #25
    @hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Broxburn
    Posts
    17,687
    We're Lennons tornadoes ....
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

  27. #26
    First Team Breakthrough Mick O'Rourke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Clermiston
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We're Lennons tornadoes ....
    Exactly. i see your point.

    Stubbsy signed John McGinn, so i say the song lyrics are how it should be.


    Lenny's Lions, though. if he manages the club to silverware
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 09-09-2017 at 09:00 PM.

  28. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fannies
    What absolute nonsense, fans supporting our country.

  29. #28
    It's Alan Stubbs man. Always will be.

  30. #29
    Testimonial Due jodjam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,352
    He's his mammy's boy

    Better than Van Nistelrooy

  31. #30
    @hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Broxburn
    Posts
    17,687
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's Alan Stubbs man. Always will be.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved