hibs.net Messageboard

Left by mutual consent!

Henderson for McGinn

Hinted at here http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2017/0...tard-new-deal/

Always thought he would be an able replacement.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Good to hear how well the club is doing financially

Hopefully we can manage to convince John to sign a new contract before he moves on, not sure how likely that is though

I don't see why we couldn't offer John a new deal to improve the players terms and to improve our position in future transfer deals, however John has to look after himself. It all depends on when John feels he wants to head south. A lot of guys have failed in England by heading down south too soon.

Left by mutual consent!
    A new deal has been offered and the ball is firmly in McGinn's court.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A new deal has been offered and the ball is firmly in McGinn's court.

He could do both Hibs and St Mirren a massive favour by signing an extended deal at ER. Any bidding club from down south would have to increase their offer and, after a year of playing in the Scottish Premier, they'd probably still be getting a bargain compared to buying from another English Club.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    He could do both Hibs and St Mirren a massive favour by signing an extended deal at ER. Any bidding club from down south would have to increase their offer and, after a year of playing in the Scottish Premier, they'd probably still be getting a bargain compared to buying from another English Club.
    Definitely!

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Makes sense for him to sign a deal. It's not like clubs down south are struggling for money and he'd also pocket more himself from a larger transfer and signing on fee. When you see some of the money down there wasted on guys who are not as good as McGinn he'd still be a bargain compared to other Championship players.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    Hinted at here http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2017/0...tard-new-deal/

Always thought he would be an able replacement.
    Theres nae comparison between the two, McGinn for me every day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Vini1875 View Post
    I don't see why we couldn't offer John a new deal to improve the players terms and to improve our position in future transfer deals, however John has to look after himself. It all depends on when John feels he wants to head south. A lot of guys have failed in England by heading down south too soon.
    Mind Hearts done this with Gordon before he was sold. Got him to sign a big long term contract so that when Sunderland came in they had no choice other than to spend a fortune. We could easily push the boat out for John for one year with the provision we will sell him next Summer when the big bucks come along.

Good to hear that we started to receive some serious offers for him as well. More than likely up to around £2m and the club still managed to stand firm.

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Absolutely mate, would potentially benefit both clubs greatly, the best thing IF he were to sign an extended contract then we wouldn't need to consider pishy offers from the likes of Nottingham Forrest bread head

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    I don't think he will sign a new contract with us and I'm not sure it would be in McGinn's interests to sign a new contract, unless it had a pretty low release clause. For one, anything that drives up the fee expected for him is likely to reduce or limit any signing on fee he would get from the buying club. Additionally, Hibs hold the balance of power just now with him having a bit of time left on his contract but as his contracts winds down, the balance shifts towards him where he might have a greater choice of clubs interested in him with pressure on Hibs to sell.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    Mind Hearts done this with Gordon before he was sold. Got him to sign a big long term contract so that when Sunderland came in they had no choice other than to spend a fortune. We could easily push the boat out for John for one year with the provision we will sell him next Summer when the big bucks come along.

Good to hear that we started to receive some serious offers for him as well. More than likely up to around £2m and the club still managed to stand firm.
    You can't break the clubs pay structure, as when it comes down to the wire other clubs will only spend for a player what they think he's worth, unfortunately not what we think he's worth.
    In essence, we could give him a pay rise and be offered the same price as was quoted from N F, but the next time he will be on a longer contract, and maybe want to still keep him?
    Its really now down to what John McGinn wants, if he wants to stay great, but if he wants to move on, nothing we as a club can do about it.
    Remember the last £million player to leave the other side of Edinburgh, he left for a poultry fee in the end!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    You can't break the clubs pay structure, as when it comes down to the wire other clubs will only spend for a player what they think he's worth, unfortunately not what we think he's worth.
    In essence, we could give him a pay rise and be offered the same price as was quoted from N F, but the next time he will be on a longer contract, and maybe want to still keep him?
    Its really now down to what John McGinn wants, if he wants to stay great, but if he wants to move on, nothing we as a club can do about it.
    Remember the last £million player to leave the other side of Edinburgh, he left for a poultry fee in the end!!!!!
    If a player has 1 year left on a fairly low contract, the club won't receive many high offers. If the player has a few years left on a much larger contract, that contract has a massive impact on the fee received. If John signs a bigger contract than he is on just now, Hibs will then receive a far higher fee for him when he goes.

Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    What did the get for him in the end 2 or 3chickens

I think it would make sense for McGinn to sign a new deal. As other posters have said, the buying club might have to shell out a bit more but is that such a bad thing for the player? If it was an internal 'Scottish club to Scottish club' thing then it would reduce chances of a move because so few clubs actually spend on transfer fees now, however, in England there's so much cash that clubs can take a wild punt on an upcoming player and they can afford to stick him in the reserves/u-20/whatever and see if there's value in him. Having to shell out more for a player they want isn't that much more for an English side and it might mean that the player at least moves to a club who properly wanted him, rather than was willing to take a punt.

Left by mutual consent!
    I'd love to see Liam back at Easter Road. However it will be a sad day when the legend SJM leaves us as he will be sorely missed but he is destined to play at a higher level as is the reality with the talent he possesses. As long as we obtain above 3 mill for him as his talent deserves and we recruit wisely to replace the legend SJM it would certainly soften the blow somewhat. Left peggers with the talent of SJM are always very difficult to replace however Liam would be a terrific addition to the team with hopefully a decent portion of the transfer fee being utilised to find a decent left pegger.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    What did the get for him in the end 2 or 3chickens
    The fee was fairly turducken if I remember correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    The fee was fairly turducken if I remember correctly?
    That reply is for the birds......

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    That reply is for the birds......
    Roaster!

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Roaster!
    Don't be calling me names or I'll cry fowl to the admins......

Is it just me that doesn't see Hendo as a replacement for Mcginn?

Completley different players and Hendo is more of an attacking mid.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

It's not even close. Yes we could use some of the money from SJM to put towards Hendo's development fee but no chance could/would/should he be a direct replacement.

I'd imagine the club are working hard behind the scenes looking for potential replacements for next summer

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

Not a direct replacement, but a very handy player that with a wee reshuffle we would be able to accommodate.

Slivka to me looks like a more similar style of player to McGinn.

McGinn also arrived as the whole Scott Allan business was kicking off. He wasn't an exact replacement for Allan but with a wee reshuffle and change of tactics allowed us to accommodate him.

If anything, I suppose Henderson would be a replacement for himself, who in some ways was a replacement for Scott Allan?

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    I don't think he will sign a new contract with us and I'm not sure it would be in McGinn's interests to sign a new contract, unless it had a pretty low release clause. For one, anything that drives up the fee expected for him is likely to reduce or limit any signing on fee he would get from the buying club. Additionally, Hibs hold the balance of power just now with him having a bit of time left on his contract but as his contracts winds down, the balance shifts towards him where he might have a greater choice of clubs interested in him with pressure on Hibs to sell.
    Spot on. And probably the way Hibs planned it to pan out when he signed a 4 year deal.