hibs.net Messageboard

Neil Lennon article

Had a laugh reading an article in today's Herald. Here's how it starts:

Neil Lennon is staying at Hibernian and will entertain and enrage for a few years yet
    IF you make the mistake of listening to those who ought to be ignored then Neil Lennon could cause nationwide outrage by sneezing.
    As the man himself said, after that day at Ibrox not so long ago, picking his nose would provoke some to consider rioting. Indeed, how civilisation managed to carry on after a man cupped his ears is one for future scholars...

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/15523147.Neil_Lennon_is_staying_at_Hibernian_and_w ill_entertain_and_enrage_for_a_few_years_yet/?ref=ebls

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Clash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Had a laugh reading an article in today's Herald. Here's how it starts:

Neil Lennon is staying at Hibernian and will entertain and enrage for a few years yet
    IF you make the mistake of listening to those who ought to be ignored then Neil Lennon could cause nationwide outrage by sneezing.
    As the man himself said, after that day at Ibrox not so long ago, picking his nose would provoke some to consider rioting. Indeed, how civilisation managed to carry on after a man cupped his ears is one for future scholars...

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/15523147.Neil_Lennon_is_staying_at_Hibernian_and_w ill_entertain_and_enrage_for_a_few_years_yet/?ref=ebls

As the man himself said, after that day at Ibrox not so long ago, picking his nose would provoke some to consider rioting. Indeed, how civilisation managed to carry on after a man cupped his ears is one for future scholars.

Lennon will be around Scottish football for a while yet, he yesterday signed a contract with Hibernian which keeps him at the club until 2020, to entertain, antagonise, anger and, hopefully as far as he is concerned, win a few football matches.

The Premiership badly missed Hearts, Rangers and also Hibs. The league is a much better place with these three big clubs back and with record season ticket sales at Easter Road, a Betfred Cup home quarter-final against Hibernian coming up, plus a decent start to the season, the news Lennon would be hanging about was welcome down Leith way.

“I’m delighted to get the contract sorted, it gives me incentives and targets to work on now and hopefully a bit of stability for the club,” said Lennon.

“I hope the fans are as pleased as I am, I’m not too sure the players are. I’ve got a target that I want to make Hibs a big club, a big force in Scottish football. I’m enjoying the challenge that lies ahead, the infrastructure is great, the players have been brilliant in everything we’ve asked them.

“I want to be up there, or try to be up there with Aberdeen and Rangers. I think most of the clubs are still way behind Celtic but if we can get into that second bracket then I think that would be suitable for a club of this size.

“It might take a bit of time but hopefully over the three years we can achieve that and be consistent at doing that as well.

“I think the Scottish league is sexier now. Rangers are getting strong again and we’re back so there are some big games and big clubs going along nicely.”

Hibs are a good team. John McGinn, their best player, remained despite Nottingham Forest’s best (worst) efforts, which gives then a chance of a top four finish.

But that is going to a challenge, particularly given how well Aberdeen have started and so, too, St Johnstone who Lennon will take his team to tomorrow afternoon.

Tommy Wright, the St Johnstone manager, is one of four current Premiership managers from Northern Ireland which is some thought.

Motherwell’s Stephen Robinson, Lennon and a certain Brendan Rodgers make up that quartet.

Wright and Lennon were international team-mates and while they have had their moments down the years, remain firm friends.

Lennon said: “We go back over 20 years to playing together for the Northern Irish team. We kept in touch through all those years and we see each other every year in Portugal on our wee holiday.

“I’d never seen him as a manager back in our playing days but he’s a very smart guy with a big personality.

“He showed real resilience throughout his career, because he had some really bad injuries to contend with. But he was a really talented goalkeeper.

“He used to wear a leotard. Aye, a leotard under his training kit. Oh, he’s never told you about the leotard, has he? Surprise!

“I used to call him Mick McManus because it was this all-in-one thing that he used to pull on with the straps over the shoulders.

“It was just one of those under armour things, you know. But it looked like a wrestler’s outfit, covering him all the way down there.”

Lennon is not short of admiration for what Wright has achieved at third place St Johnstone, and admits he is baffled why the 54-year-old has not earned a bigger move.

He said: “I’m surprised that someone hasn’t tried to pinch him but he seems happy there and has brought great success. Winning the Scottish Cup was fantastic and a top four finish in this day and age for St Johnstone is spectacular, really.

Confirming the club rejected further bids for McGinn last week, Lennon, who admitted Celtic midfielder Liam Henderson had been lined up as a potential replacement for the Scotland midfielder, said: “Forest made a couple more bids after the initial one, which was nowhere near good enough.

“The second and third ones were respectable but they still didn’t come anywhere near the valuation we have of the player.

“John wanted us to engage with Forest, we did that, and he was happy with the outcome.”

It’s been a good few days for Hibs.

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    You cannot not love this man, he loves the club and is also getting the backing of he needs as well, never liked Neil as a player but he has given us a back bone

Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    The Premiership badly missed Hearts, Rangers and also Hibs. The league is a much better place with these three big clubs back and with record season ticket sales at Easter Road, a Betfred Cup home quarter-final against Hibernian coming up, plus a decent start to the season, the news Lennon would be hanging about was welcome down Leith way
    I'll be torn who to support that day Seriously though, good article

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FranckSuzy View Post
    I'll be torn who to support that day Seriously though, good article
    guaranteed semi final then!

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Have to say that I like the commentary about John McGinn. No usual flannel about not commenting on speculation, but saying what happened.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    He's a good man is Neil, just what we needed at this point in our history. Great to see him being embraced by the club as he has embraced us.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

About time we had a manager here for a good 5-7 years.

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    excellent opportunity to continue the good work and hopefuly reap the rewards of stability

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Another great interview on Hibs TV....

https://youtu.be/7fgIMFgbX5M

Neil Lennon is, without question, an iconic and talismatic manager.
    He inspires confidence amongst players and most supporters.
    He has an edge and a grittiness that I have not seen or felt in any Hibs manager since Eddie Turnbull.
    With NL at the helm, shouting and bawling from the touchlines, the Jambos fear us more than normal as they recognise a winner in our manager.
    NL gives us a psychological edge before we even set foot on the park.
    These are wonderful days for our club.
    Let's embrace it and glory in it whilst we can.