hibs.net Messageboard

Hybrid View

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar

Yellow vests v Har-vests

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Borders roads are quiet enough that there's no real need to have closed roads for cycling on, and the sportives there that are on open roads are much cheaper to enter (20-25 against 60-70). On balance I'm with the elderly blokes, though they should have used bread sticks rather than drain rods.

Free link (without any Latin in the report): http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...-borders-road/

@hibs.net private member Sergio sledge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Borders roads are quiet enough that there's no real need to have closed roads for cycling on, and the sportives there that are on open roads are much cheaper to enter (20-25 against 60-70). On balance I'm with the elderly blokes, though they should have used bread sticks rather than drain rods.

Free link (without any Latin in the report): http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...-borders-road/
    If you've got 2,000 cyclists you can't have that on open roads. Smaller sportives, yes, but not an event with 2,000 people.

I understand the farmers issues, sometimes harvest can be a stressful time trying to find a window in the weather and if you have to do certain things on a certain day then it just has to be done. Maybe the event organisers should think about running it another weekend when it isn't such a busy time for farmers?

However the way they protested it is not on and potentially very dangerous, I'm sure the police will be knocking on their doors pretty soon for a chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio sledge View Post
    If you've got 2,000 cyclists you can't have that on open roads. Smaller sportives, yes, but not an event with 2,000 people.

I understand the farmers issues, sometimes harvest can be a stressful time trying to find a window in the weather and if you have to do certain things on a certain day then it just has to be done. Maybe the event organisers should think about running it another weekend when it isn't such a busy time for farmers?

However the way they protested it is not on and potentially very dangerous, I'm sure the police will be knocking on their doors pretty soon for a chat.
    Heaven forbid they may have to consider the disruption their little day of fun has on the rest of the selfish world.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Heaven forbid they may have to consider the disruption their little day of fun has on the rest of the selfish world.

My thoughts - the weather has been very mixed and the harvest decides many farmers' income for the year. Sports events are SO very important - everything else has to take second place for them. Closing roads for a cycle race this time of year in a farming area like the Borders is inconsiderate to say the least. I don't like the idea of the old boys going after them with drain rods, but I can understand why they did. I'm sure none of the cyclists would appreciate farmers obstructing THEM going about their daily work.

There's an annual 'fun run' in my area that causes any amount of disruption to the roads. There's supposed to be proper supervision - non-existent - and cyclists aren't supposed to ride more than two abreast - they ride in large numbers right out to the white line and beyond - and getting anywhere by road that day is a nightmare. I've even seen an ambulance (lights flashing) trying unsuccessfully to get out onto the main road and no one giving way.

One of my neighbours in the Highlands (where another of these events took place annually) had been in the Commandos during WW2. HE recommended cheese-wire. It worked with the Germans, after all ....

I think I might have had a wee accident on a blind corner with a muck-spreader.
    Last edited by Doddie; 09-09-2017 at 01:52 PM.

"Once one accepts that one has bear-hugged full-blown barking there is great comfort in the bright lights and noises of the wibble-wibble show ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    I'm sure none of the cyclists would appreciate farmers obstructing THEM going about their daily work.
    Yeah, because we never see farmer's tractors holding up rush-hour traffic...

By the way, Borders Council wouldn't allow the roads to be closed if the cycling event (it wasn't a race) wasn't worth it to the area financially.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar

I'm doing the Glasgow-Edinburgh ride on Sunday.

Bread sticks (and bananas) would be most welcome, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio sledge View Post
    First Tour of the Borders (2013) was on open roads. It's a while since I did it, but don't think Pedal for Scotland (then 8,000+) was entirely closed (though it may be now).

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post

If the 45-ish-miler, it's mostly flat and easy and there's enough feed stations along the way to ensure that you'll end up heavier than you started.

First Tour of the Borders (2013) was on open roads. It's a while since I did it, but don't think Pedal for Scotland (then 8,000+) was entirely closed (though it may be now).

If the 45-ish-miler, it's mostly flat and easy and there's enough feed stations along the way to ensure that you'll end up heavier than you started.
    Most of PFS is on closed (country) roads. There's a wee issue with the roads getting out of Glasgow, and through the likes of Cheesetown, where the ride has to stop for traffic sometimes. Imagine if it was in France at harvest time; they'd be out with their slurry-hoses.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Most of PFS is on closed (country) roads. There's a wee issue with the roads getting out of Glasgow, and through the likes of Cheesetown, where the ride has to stop for traffic sometimes. Imagine if it was in France at harvest time; they'd be out with their slurry-hoses
    Hmmm,....

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

You lot are screwing up me getting to the event I'm going to. Get your own <beep beep> bananas!

I did the Tour o' the Borders last Sunday but didn't see these two loonies. Everyone at the side of the road that I saw was pretty supportive.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    I did the Tour o' the Borders last Sunday but didn't see these two loonies. Everyone at the side of the road that I saw was pretty supportive.
    Hijack alert.

How long is it and how difficult?

Asking for a friend.....

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk