hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To buy product aye, to get addicted to it? That's personal responsibility.
    It never ceases to amaze me that people pretend scientific fact doesn't exist to protect their own prejudices. Addiction is an illness. You may as well say that cancer is down to personal responsibility.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me that people pretend scientific fact doesn't exist to protect their own prejudices. Addiction is an illness. You may as well say that cancer is down to personal responsibility.
    This is true. Clinical studies have demonstrated that some people have addictive personalities, in the same way some have psychopathic or narcissistic personality disorders. We don't blame a psychopath for not having a conscience, as it's meaningless. He/she doesn't choose not have a conscience; it's how they are. Evidence suggests that some people have a proclivity towards addictions, which can be very difficult to manage. It isn't a question of being weak or irresponsible.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Coaching Staff
    If addiction is an illness, which I can happily accept it is, then advertising it makes no odds - that person I assume will become addicted to something that is not meant for that purpose.

Banning the advertising of things because a small percentage of people don't use the product responsibly, for whatever reason, is not the answer.

Some cancer does come down to personal responsibility doesn't it? Lung cancer or throat cancer caused by smoking for example?
    Last edited by Andy74; 08-09-2017 at 04:41 PM.

Banning the advertising of things because a small percentage of people don't use the product responsibly, for whatever reason, is not the answer.
    Did you work for British Imperial Tobacco in the 1950s by any chance?

Coaching Staff
    Did you work for British Imperial Tobacco in the 1950s by any chance?
    Is there some up to date evidence that lack of advertising can prevent or cure what I'm told is an illness?

Does that person just not fall foul of something else?

Is there some up to date evidence that lack of advertising can prevent or cure what I'm told is an illness?

Does that person just not fall foul of something else?
    There's plenty of informative stuff online if you want to educate yourself about addictive personality. As there is about the effects of advertising.

But I'm guessing by saying 'I'm told' it's an illness, you clearly believe it isn't one.

Coaching Staff
    There's plenty of informative stuff online if you want to educate yourself about addictive personality. As there is about the effects of advertising.

But I'm guessing by saying 'I'm told' it's an illness, you clearly believe it isn't one.
    I'm sure it is and so I'm equally sure advertising is way down the list of things that will have any impact on it.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This is true. Clinical studies have demonstrated that some people have addictive personalities, in the same way some have psychopathic or narcissistic personality disorders. We don't blame a psychopath for not having a conscience, as it's meaningless. He/she doesn't choose not have a conscience; it's how they are. Evidence suggests that some people have a proclivity towards addictions, which can be very difficult to manage. It isn't a question of being weak or irresponsible.
    And seeing a betting company name on a football jersey drives them into a bookies? I think we should be more concerned with the barrage of advertising for online betting, now I will agree its a problem.

I'm sure it is and so I'm equally sure advertising is way down the list of things that will have any impact on it.
    We'll if you're that sure, you won't need to waste your time reading all the evidence that will show you that you're wrong

Coaching Staff
    We'll if you're that sure, you won't need to waste your time reading all the evidence that will show you that you're wrong
    I suppose you could start by linking one article that shows advertising is responsible for addiction. Not sales or consumption but addiction, and whether the lack of advertising would eliminate it or just move the issue on.

Would be interested in seeing this.

I suppose you could start by linking one article that shows advertising is responsible for addiction. Not sales or consumption but addiction, and whether the lack of advertising would eliminate it or just move the issue on.

Would be interested in seeing this.
    I know you were pedantic Andy, I didn't realise you were plain daft as well. Nobody claims advertising is responsible for addiction.