hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxyhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not a differing opinion, don't you get that.? You're utterly lost on this subject.
    Get a life mate! Put me on ignore or do something but please stop trying to sound superior, you're coming across as a right erse.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 06-09-2017 at 09:29 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    I agree Playboy should sponsor Hibs
    Did Tampax not sponsor HMFC at one time?

Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    Did Tampax not sponsor HMFC at one time?
    That was a period tbey would rather forget about.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    That was a period tbey would rather forget about.
    Good one lad.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    Yeah I'm perhaps being ignorant. Gambling companies taking over from cigarettes in snooker another example.

Probably not a football related thread mind. I know personally if there was no online gambling and just your bookies that closed at 7 and 5 on a Sunday I would have saved over thousands and I don't even like the roulette terminals that people seem to lose hundreds in the space of minutes. You might get gubbed smoking and drinking but at least there will be health warnings with that. Gambling you can keep to yourself and live off beans and toast. Thankfully I've a very young couple of children that are my priority ahead of anything and love for them sorted me out. Others I know just can't help blowing everything.
    I'll join the ignorant club too as I didn't know that either up until a wee while ago. :-)

I suppose I'll bow out by considering myself lucky that I don't have a gambling problem. No doudt I'd feel differently on the subject if I was unlucky enough to have one, or was an expert on the subject.

When a decision regarding this is inevitably made, you wonder who will have a hand in it and who will be of primary concern.

Get a life mate!
    Witty as well.

You could certainly enhance yours by informing yourself on the more serious subjects in life which rely on factual studies before blowing hot air and calling them opinions.

Many things are not opinions and the effects of advertising is one of them. Maybe you'd like to find me a study which concludes that visual advertising alcohol, cigarettes and gambling has no effect on adolescents and other groups in society.

Left by mutual consent!
    They'll scrap it, just like they scrapped the house of lards.

Oh wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I'm not sure this should be here or in the Holy Ground.

"Labour: Scrap betting ads on football kits

Labour says it would ban gambling firms from advertising on football shirts if it came to power.

The party's deputy leader Tom Watson said football had to "play its part in tackling Britain's hidden epidemic of gambling addiction".

Nine English Premier League clubs - and three in Scotland's top flight - have kits sponsored by betting companies.

Gambling on football was worth a record £1.4bn to bookmakers over a 12-month period, figures revealed in May."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41172425

Besides the financial side for Hibs Marathonbet have been great to the Hibs Supporters in so many ways. But I suppose that's part of their cunning plan.

On another note I think gambling and advertising laws are reserved to Westminster. If that's the case it's disappointing Labour have chosen to ignore anyone but England in its policy launch!
    why are we even considering "labour" on this forum? some would be instantly slated for even a hint of SNP.keep Scotland british an aw that. can see this getting abit nasty, and I WONT HOLD BACK WITH MY OPINION IF IT GOES ON AND ON. punt it to the holy ground, or whatever

Witty as well.

You could certainly enhance yours by informing yourself on the more serious subjects in life which rely on factual studies before blowing hot air and calling them opinions.

Many things are not opinions and the effects of advertising is one of them. Maybe you'd like to find me a study which concludes that visual advertising alcohol, cigarettes and gambling has no effect on adolescents and other groups in society.
    Aww not you again! Okay you win, you have bullied me into submission. I'm away to hide in a dark room under my duvet, taking periodic looks at .net in the hope that you have finally had enough of belittling me with your superior knowledge of advertising studies and the definition of opinions. Take a bow Mr Superior!

Just for you!

a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
    "that, in my opinion, is right"
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 06-09-2017 at 09:49 PM.

Aww not you again! Okay you win, you have bullied me into submission. I'm away to hide in a dark room under my duvet, taking periodic looks at .net in the hope that you have finally had enough of belittling me with your superior knowledge of advertising studies and the definition of opinions. Take a bow Mr Superior!
    Apologise if it's came over as superior, we were getting a bit heated there, which isn't like me.

But there'll be people on this thread that have experienced the devastating effects of alcohol and gambling addiction - and has been pointed out, the advertising beast knows exactly what it's doing.

Im not going to block you - I enjoy alot of your opinions.

Left by mutual consent!
    Advertising has a massive impact on behaviour. The worst victims of it are those who don't even realize the impact that it has on themselves. The world is full of subliminal marketing these days for one reason only, it works.

Apologise if it's came over as superior, we were getting a bit heated there, which isn't like me.

But there'll be people on this thread that have experienced the devastating effects of alcohol and gambling addiction - and has been pointed out, the advertising beast knows exactly what it's doing.

Im not going to block you - I enjoy alot of your opinions.
    Fair enough, no need to apologise mate, all is good, maybe too easy to get carried away by a very emotive subject on my part too.

Fair enough, no need to apologise mate, all is good, maybe too easy to get carried away by a very emotive subject on my part too.
    Agree.

I remember an Ad, which was on tv no doubt by the national health board or such, at the time. possibly late 60's or early 70's. It went something like (sung) I never gambled, I never gargled, I never smoked at'all. until I MET MY..... 2 GOOD AMIGOS, NICOTINE AND ALCHOHOL. Apart from that, I really miss gaun tae the Dugs. Wallyford, Tranent and Lithgae. Powderhall was tops but the greyhound Gaff tracks were guid tae.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'll join the ignorant club too as I didn't know that either up until a wee while ago. :-)

I suppose I'll bow out by considering myself lucky that I don't have a gambling problem. No doudt I'd feel differently on the subject if I was unlucky enough to have one, or was an expert on the subject.

When a decision regarding this is inevitably made, you wonder who will have a hand in it and who will be of primary concern.
    Good man and good points Pete :)

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    It can also have the reverse effect. I wouldn't let my mrs drink Strongbow for years when they sponsored hearts!! Also would never drink McUrines lager. Though that was as much to do with it being pish as sponsoring the Hun. In seriousness advertising does work. The company I work for has an annual marketing and advertising spend of £2Billion globally and the facts are that sales of the targeted products increase considerably with an increase of advertising spend.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Taking this back to some sort of HIbs related chat, who would Hibs get who would put in a similar amount of money? A quick surf of the net shows that since season 1996/97 we've had either alcohol or betting companies with their names on the shirt apart from two seasons wth McEwan Fraser. We've got the unethical double whammy of a bookie on the front and a gin maker on the back this season.

In other countries, companies like Ford, Toyota, major telecom companies like Telstra in Oz, fast food and drink companies, banks etc as well as alcohol and gambling companies support the national sport and want to be associated with it. In Scotland we still have a corporate class divide which seems to have got worse recently as the banks have pulled out of supporting football. Companies like BT ad Standard Life Aberdeen prefer to support golf and Rugby Union. Break down this snobbery and we might see some variety in the major sponsors of our national game.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    Taking this back to some sort of HIbs related chat, who would Hibs get who would put in a similar amount of money? A quick surf of the net shows that since season 1996/97 we've had either alcohol or betting companies with their names on the shirt apart from two seasons wth McEwan Fraser. We've got the unethical double whammy of a bookie on the front and a gin maker on the back this season.

In other countries, companies like Ford, Toyota, major telecom companies like Telstra in Oz, fast food and drink companies, banks etc as well as alcohol and gambling companies support the national sport and want to be associated with it. In Scotland we still have a corporate class divide which seems to have got worse recently as the banks have pulled out of supporting football. Companies like BT ad Standard Life Aberdeen prefer to support golf and Rugby Union. Break down this snobbery and we might see some variety in the major sponsors of our national game.
    Yet many would say McEwan Fraser are some what morally bankrupt as well with some of their business practices.

Seems a rather narrow target the club main sponsor thing...are they going to ban Bet365 advertising at half time on every game on Sky as well? Regulate the number of bookies? Force daily limits on all online gambling? Ban spread betting? If not then it's a pathetic sound bite of a policy that will do bigger all to change anything.

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    It can also have the reverse effect. I wouldn't let my mrs drink Strongbow for years when they sponsored hearts!! Also would never drink McUrines lager. Though that was as much to do with it being pish as sponsoring the Hun. In seriousness advertising does work. The company I work for has an annual marketing and advertising spend of £2Billion globally and the facts are that sales of the targeted products increase considerably with an increase of advertising spend.
    Widnae be Deagio by any chance ? your location implies such

Would love to see Hibs with no shirt/shorts sponsor . I`m sure we`d sell more shirts especially kids`ones . Would agree with a ban on tobacco / bookies /booze cos on strips but ideally clubs themselves would take that decision . We were forerunners with shirt sponsorship maybe now we could be first to say we don`t want commercial names on strips .

Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    Widnae be Deagio by any chance ? your location implies such
    Could be. Your spelling is a bit off though!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    Would love to see Hibs with no shirt/shorts sponsor . I`m sure we`d sell more shirts especially kids`ones . Would agree with a ban on tobacco / bookies /booze cos on strips but ideally clubs themselves would take that decision . We were forerunners with shirt sponsorship maybe now we could be first to say we don`t want commercial names on strips .
    That sounds very noble but how would Hibs replace the money they would lose from probably our biggest revenue stream outside ticket money or player sales? Kids strips are no longer allowed to have alcohol or gambling companies on them at the moment so not sure that would make a difference. It's not that I disagree with you by the way, I just can't see that ever happening

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Yet many would say McEwan Fraser are some what morally bankrupt as well with some of their business practices.

Seems a rather narrow target the club main sponsor thing...are they going to ban Bet365 advertising at half time on every game on Sky as well? Regulate the number of bookies? Force daily limits on all online gambling? Ban spread betting? If not then it's a pathetic sound bite of a policy that will do bigger all to change anything.
    Scrupples and Morality rarely come into focus, with successful businesses. If it does, I think it tends to be more of a Promotional exercise rather than an actual moral issue. call me a cynic

I don't really think the shirt sponsors matter much. Bigger issue is the millions of gambling adverts whenever football is on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Could be. Your spelling is a bit off though!!!
    oh gosh. getting tired

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I don't really think the shirt sponsors matter much. Bigger issue is the millions of gambling adverts whenever football is on TV.
    good point. does not entice me, in any way though Michael. must have an effect in some way to those who have that affliction, or betting habit? my brother-in-law likes the nags, but has sensibly drawn a line as to how many bets he'll play. others may do different.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There's really no such thing as responsible smoking as any amount of it is harmful in some way. Gambling, while addictive in some cases, is totally harmless to the vast majority who enjoy it in moderation. Why should they suffer?

I'm willing to bet that alcohol ruins more lives than gambling.
    I'll drink to that .

If drink and gambling are banned as sponsors, where exactly is the necessary sponsorship money going to come from?

Lets face it, these two things are inextricably linked with football/sport. It seems a nonsense to prohibit them from advertising to sports fans.

Clearly some people do have issues with gambling, but surely the vast majority do not? Same with drinking. Do we really need to be mollycoddled in this way? I don't believe we do.

I would take a guess and say that the biggest problem with gambling these days isn't the advertising so much as the 24/7 availability of the opportunity to gamble ..... Its noticeable that the bookies have started to target females significantly, with bingo sites and 'tombola' whatever that is.

I doubt this will come to anything unless the football authorities can be persuaded to voluntarily self regulate ..... I cant imagine any government being able to force clubs to ditch betting company shirt sponsorship unless it was as part of a wider government drive to ban such adverts and sponsorship from all media such as television. To attempt to force one type of business out of the market for gambling advertising and not another such as horse racing would probably be against some sort of fair competition law I would imagine.

Most advertising IMO is about brand awareness rather than persuading people to partake in the activity itself, though I've no doubt that does happen .... my own experience is that I may try a different brand or innovation of something I already enjoy because of an advert, I cant think of an example of something completely new I've tried because I saw it on the telly.

One thing that does seem clear is that politicians never seem to tire of finding ways to cost football clubs money ... all seater stadiums, bans on the sale of alcohol and now prospective bans on what they can advertise on their shirts. What's worse is that when they think of these things they rarely have leagues like the SPFL in mind, they think of the EPL where the clubs aren't so dependent on revenue streams like shirt advertising.

Waiting in hope for the day when politicians say .... 'we are going to back up all the hot air we come out with about football clubs being vital parts of the community and our never ending need to jump on the back of any success of a club or country we have even the most tenuous link with by actually helping them by pumping some decent money into the game'

Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    About time too. Unregulated gambling advertising is rampant in this country. I'll put it this way - no one would be complaining about the loss of money if it was smoking adverts that were plastered everywhere. Gambling is just as addictive and has just of a catastrophic effect on the individual's life if they get addicted (if not more considering the sums of money involved) and the advertising preys on these kind of people.
    What a lot of nonsense

What next ? Stop people from leaving the house, wandering around the city so they don't see all of the William Hill and Ladbroke shops

Like it or not gambling is part of our culture and to compare it with smoking is laughable