hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 151 to 161 of 161
  1. #151
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To buy product aye, to get addicted to it? That's personal responsibility.
    It never ceases to amaze me that people pretend scientific fact doesn't exist to protect their own prejudices. Addiction is an illness. You may as well say that cancer is down to personal responsibility.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #152
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    7,657
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It never ceases to amaze me that people pretend scientific fact doesn't exist to protect their own prejudices. Addiction is an illness. You may as well say that cancer is down to personal responsibility.
    This is true. Clinical studies have demonstrated that some people have addictive personalities, in the same way some have psychopathic or narcissistic personality disorders. We don't blame a psychopath for not having a conscience, as it's meaningless. He/she doesn't choose not have a conscience; it's how they are. Evidence suggests that some people have a proclivity towards addictions, which can be very difficult to manage. It isn't a question of being weak or irresponsible.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  4. #153
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Livingston/Edinburgh
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,167
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: FranckSauzee4
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It never ceases to amaze me that people pretend scientific fact doesn't exist to protect their own prejudices. Addiction is an illness. You may as well say that cancer is down to personal responsibility.
    If addiction is an illness, which I can happily accept it is, then advertising it makes no odds - that person I assume will become addicted to something that is not meant for that purpose.

    Banning the advertising of things because a small percentage of people don't use the product responsibly, for whatever reason, is not the answer.

    Some cancer does come down to personal responsibility doesn't it? Lung cancer or throat cancer caused by smoking for example?
    Last edited by Andy74; 08-09-2017 at 05:41 PM.

  5. #154
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Banning the advertising of things because a small percentage of people don't use the product responsibly, for whatever reason, is not the answer.
    Did you work for British Imperial Tobacco in the 1950s by any chance?

  6. #155
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Livingston/Edinburgh
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,167
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: FranckSauzee4
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did you work for British Imperial Tobacco in the 1950s by any chance?
    Is there some up to date evidence that lack of advertising can prevent or cure what I'm told is an illness?

    Does that person just not fall foul of something else?

  7. #156
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is there some up to date evidence that lack of advertising can prevent or cure what I'm told is an illness?

    Does that person just not fall foul of something else?
    There's plenty of informative stuff online if you want to educate yourself about addictive personality. As there is about the effects of advertising.

    But I'm guessing by saying 'I'm told' it's an illness, you clearly believe it isn't one.

  8. #157
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Livingston/Edinburgh
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,167
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: FranckSauzee4
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's plenty of informative stuff online if you want to educate yourself about addictive personality. As there is about the effects of advertising.

    But I'm guessing by saying 'I'm told' it's an illness, you clearly believe it isn't one.
    I'm sure it is and so I'm equally sure advertising is way down the list of things that will have any impact on it.

  9. #158
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    kirkcaldy
    Posts
    3,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is true. Clinical studies have demonstrated that some people have addictive personalities, in the same way some have psychopathic or narcissistic personality disorders. We don't blame a psychopath for not having a conscience, as it's meaningless. He/she doesn't choose not have a conscience; it's how they are. Evidence suggests that some people have a proclivity towards addictions, which can be very difficult to manage. It isn't a question of being weak or irresponsible.
    And seeing a betting company name on a football jersey drives them into a bookies? I think we should be more concerned with the barrage of advertising for online betting, now I will agree its a problem.

  10. #159
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure it is and so I'm equally sure advertising is way down the list of things that will have any impact on it.
    We'll if you're that sure, you won't need to waste your time reading all the evidence that will show you that you're wrong

  11. #160
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Livingston/Edinburgh
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,167
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: FranckSauzee4
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We'll if you're that sure, you won't need to waste your time reading all the evidence that will show you that you're wrong
    I suppose you could start by linking one article that shows advertising is responsible for addiction. Not sales or consumption but addiction, and whether the lack of advertising would eliminate it or just move the issue on.

    Would be interested in seeing this.

  12. #161
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I suppose you could start by linking one article that shows advertising is responsible for addiction. Not sales or consumption but addiction, and whether the lack of advertising would eliminate it or just move the issue on.

    Would be interested in seeing this.
    I know you were pedantic Andy, I didn't realise you were plain daft as well. Nobody claims advertising is responsible for addiction.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved