hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Labour: Scrap betting ads on football kits

I'm not sure this should be here or in the Holy Ground.

"Labour: Scrap betting ads on football kits

Labour says it would ban gambling firms from advertising on football shirts if it came to power.

The party's deputy leader Tom Watson said football had to "play its part in tackling Britain's hidden epidemic of gambling addiction".

Nine English Premier League clubs - and three in Scotland's top flight - have kits sponsored by betting companies.

Gambling on football was worth a record £1.4bn to bookmakers over a 12-month period, figures revealed in May."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41172425

Besides the financial side for Hibs Marathonbet have been great to the Hibs Supporters in so many ways. But I suppose that's part of their cunning plan.

On another note I think gambling and advertising laws are reserved to Westminster. If that's the case it's disappointing Labour have chosen to ignore anyone but England in its policy launch!

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    if it's anything to do with the labour party it should be on the cheese board, unless we start a comedy gold board

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    If I was a footballer, I'd change my name by deed of poll to BetFred.
    Think how many back-handers and opportunities you'd get if you got on zitelli.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I was a footballer, I'd change my name by deed of poll to BetFred.
    Think how many back-handers and opportunities you'd get if you got on zitelli.
    There must be William Hills out there, you could do it that way and not even a blink of an eye would be had.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Or something like that.

Left by mutual consent!
    There's no way it would come into place. They would have to ban advertising too and the money pumped in through adverts is too much. Having a gambling sponsor doesn't make me bet with marathon bet unless I'm in the ground. Familiarity all the way. I'm not leaving bet 355 regardless of how decent outside the box is.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    There's no way it would come into place. They would have to ban advertising too and the money pumped in through adverts is too much. Having a gambling sponsor doesn't make me bet with marathon bet unless I'm in the ground. Familiarity all the way. I'm not leaving bet 355 regardless of how decent outside the box is.
    You do remember cigarette adverts?

Where there is a will, there's a way.

Personally I'd ban booze adverts before gambling. Many more lives ruined by alcohol both in long term and in the short term.

That said, I do like a good swally.

J

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I'm not sure this should be here or in the Holy Ground.

"Labour: Scrap betting ads on football kits

Labour says it would ban gambling firms from advertising on football shirts if it came to power.

The party's deputy leader Tom Watson said football had to "play its part in tackling Britain's hidden epidemic of gambling addiction".

Nine English Premier League clubs - and three in Scotland's top flight - have kits sponsored by betting companies.

Gambling on football was worth a record £1.4bn to bookmakers over a 12-month period, figures revealed in May."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41172425

Besides the financial side for Hibs Marathonbet have been great to the Hibs Supporters in so many ways. But I suppose that's part of their cunning plan.

On another note I think gambling and advertising laws are reserved to Westminster. If that's the case it's disappointing Labour have chosen to ignore anyone but England in its policy launch!

Ticking time-bomb that was set but Labour when they opened up to online gambling. Had one between being a nanny state and probably subjected to lobbying/legal action/EU competition rulings (I'm guessing) versus opening it up (which they did).
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    Ticking time-bomb that was set but Labour when they opened up to online gambling. Had one between being a nanny state and probably subjected to lobbying/legal action/EU competition rulings (I'm guessing) versus opening it up (which they did).
    You cant bet online in several EU countries. I am all for the ban bookies are jusf ripping the piish out of skint vulnerable people as well as some very weak stupid people.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    You cant bet online in several EU countries. I am all for the ban bookies are jusf ripping the piish out of skint vulnerable people as well as some very weak stupid people.

Surely then it's the bookies that should be banned not football clubs making money off them.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Surely then it's the bookies that should be banned not football clubs making money off them.
    Yeah ban em all

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    About time too. Unregulated gambling advertising is rampant in this country. I'll put it this way - no one would be complaining about the loss of money if it was smoking adverts that were plastered everywhere. Gambling is just as addictive and has just of a catastrophic effect on the individual's life if they get addicted (if not more considering the sums of money involved) and the advertising preys on these kind of people.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    I'll give you 20/1 on that ever happening😋

Don't see the point in this. Post-Brexit, the country's going to be like Mad Max so adverts on fitba tops aren't going to catch much attention.

I'm aware of what happens and what can be lost when someone is addicted to gambling.

That's the extreme end though and we shouldn't ban it because it's addictive. There are surely other ways to prevent the tragic instances of people being allowed to blow such sums.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Betfred cup, William hill Scottish cup, Ladbroke premiership...gambling agencies fund our game

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Has advertising on a football shirt ever driven anyone to drink or gamble?

Quote Originally Posted by scouse hibby View Post
    has advertising on a football shirt ever driven anyone to drink or gamble?
    yes

yes
    How do you know?

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    How do you know?
    The whole point of advertising is to increase consumption of the product.

Quote Originally Posted by AZhibee View Post
    The whole point of advertising is to increase consumption of the product.
    Still doesn't prove that anyone has ever been driven by a name on a football shirt. Keeps the name out there but introduced people to their product I very much doubt it.

I never bought one single tin of crown paint!

How do you know?
    It's simple really these organisations would not waste a penny on advertising if they did not get a return.

First Team Breakthrough
    Can't stand Labour but this is good imo

If there's no evidence of this then why do gambling companies spend so much money promoting their product on shirts? That'd be nuts wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOnions View Post
    If there's no evidence of this then why do gambling companies spend so much money promoting their product on shirts? That'd be nuts wouldn't it?
    Keeps the name out there. Choose their product over others not always introducing them to gambling.

I blame Hibernian FC for all this.

Shirt sponsor pioneers with Bukta!

Or was it Bookieta

I like the style of this years strip.
    However, i wish i could buy one though without the main sponsors name blazoned on the front.

Gambling, smoking and alcohol are all serious addictive problems in the UK and elsewhere. Quite often, people are addicted to more than one of those at the same time.

I've seen first hand the end results of the addictions and, believe me, it isn't pretty. People lose their jobs, houses, families. Children live in misery and often suffer serious phsycological damage because of the arguments and stress when daddy (and it usually is daddy) comes home with no wage packet or more new loans that they can possibly pay back, but not enough money to pay the telephone, Leccy or Gas bills and nothing left for food shopping.

I realise that some people have fun gambling and wouldn't call themselves addicts, just as I occasionally have a drink and I'm certainly no drunk, but I do have a problem with anything that legitimizes what is becoming yet another serious addiction, that of online gambling.

Everyone is entitled to their view but I'd rather not have players and fans of my club being walking billboards for these people.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Gambling, smoking and alcohol are all serious addictive problems in the UK and elsewhere. Quite often, people are addicted to more than one of those at the same time.

I've seen first hand the end results of the addictions and, believe me, it isn't pretty. People lose their jobs, houses, families. Children live in misery and often suffer serious phsycological damage because of the arguments and stress when daddy (and it usually is daddy) comes home with no wage packet or more new loans that they can possibly pay back, but not enough money to pay the telephone, Leccy or Gas bills and nothing left for food shopping.

I realise that some people have fun gambling and wouldn't call themselves addicts, just as I occasionally have a drink and I'm certainly no drunk, but I do have a problem with anything that legitimizes what is becoming yet another serious addiction, that of online gambling.

Everyone is entitled to their view but I'd rather not have players and fans of my club being walking billboards for these people.
    Yes. Plenty of it around, and all these addictions damage lives, each in its own way.

We can't watch a sports event on TV these days without R** W******* at you to "bet responsibly" on ***, or a couple of guys discussing how to maximise your winnings (they never lose) by going online with L*******s or B*****d or whoever.

Companies don't pay loadsa money for advertising that doesn't work. This is literally people spending money for nothing - most gamblers don't win (if they did, the betting companies would be out of business) - which means that most customers get nothing in return for their time and cash, and the betting companies hand large wodges to the advertisers who produce the crap we have to watch at half-time, or between overs, or between races .... As I say - at the sharp end, lots of money spent for nothing.

Like the old saying - the bookie goes home from the races in his Rolls-Royce; his customers get the bus, provided of course they still have change left for their bus fare.

Once upon a time it was the cigarette companies who were all over the TV screens. There was a ban - which has been gradually eroded over the years, thanks mainly, I believe, to motor sport (GP, NASCAR, Indycar, etc). Tobacco companies apparently now seek growth through "promotions that build brand equity through adult consumer experiences" (quote from an industry press-release, btw), though the "adult consumer experience" of a greatly increased likelihood of coughing my lungs up day by day in the form of black phelgm, chemo, radiation therapy and surgery, heart disease and death doesn't appeal to me personally.

Nor does losing my car, my house, my friends and my reputation 'betting responsibly on free-six-foive' with Fat Ray. Anyone else, feel free. But responsible government would seek to drastically limit people's exposure to the sort of high-pressure advertising we have just now on every communications medium.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    No, but Hibs on the pitch have many times.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875