hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok, so why punish Football clubs first? Why not stop Facebook and Twitter from making money from gambling adverts?

Why not look at Horse Racing?

My point was not that nothing should be done...
    I'm not saying that the problem is not complex and embedded and many others will have a better idea than I do about where to start. However, we have to start somewhere.

I said in an earlier post that I would like to see all promotion of gambling and alcohol banned from all sport. I also suggested a ban during live broadcasts of sporting events (on channels showing those events).

If we do have to start at one particular point though would we not start with sports where there is the greatest involvement of children and young people?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    How many Hibs fans had placed a bet with Marathon prior to them sponsoring Hibs? How many have an account with Marathon now?
    I used to eat Snickers but I am now going back to Marathon bars.

Classic right v left argument here. The freedom to choose and live by your actions or have a society that offers help and support and limits choices.for some the first argument is what's wanted for others the second is what's required.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenOnions View Post
    I'm not saying that the problem is not complex and embedded and many others will have a better idea than I do about where to start. However, we have to start somewhere.

I said in an earlier post that I would like to see all promotion of gambling and alcohol banned from all sport. I also suggested a ban during live broadcasts of sporting events (on channels showing those events).

If we do have to start at one particular point though would we not start with sports where there is the greatest involvement of children and young people?

The Labour proposal is stupid though.

Under their proposal In Scotland, Celtic, The Rangers, and Hibs would not be able to have Dafa Bet, 32 Red and Marathon Bet ( 3 relative minnows in the UK gambling industry) on their shirts.

The Betfred and William Hill cups and the Ladbrokes SPFL would be fine though ( all major players in the UK Gambling sector).

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Renfrew_Hibby View Post
    The French were very successful in banning alcohol ads from all pro sport.

The problem is football in this country is now totally dependent upon gambling firms money, only TV contracts are more important and even then these two industries have become intertwinde hence we have the SkyBet Championship!

The fear for me is football, and many pro sports, are now open to serious match fixing, especially from the far east as there is tens of millions wagered on a daily basis.
    As for gambling in society, we have to reign in online firms, even the fun and cheerie bingo sites as house wife's and grannies are even becoming addicted.

High street bookies are fine as they are heavily regulated and staff have a duty of care which most adhear to, just like pubs. You're local bookies can be a valuable part of a local community just as a well run pub can be.
    The TV contracts are more important, but how much TV money comes from gambling advertising in the first place?

Coaching Staff
    Piece of nonsense.

I like a wee bet.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyStokeprano View Post
    you sound so patronising its unreal, its clearly a difference of opinion scouse hibee has, one that i happen to agree with. as for the earlier poster sammy7nil saying you can lose your house and family through gambling but you can only drink so much, never heard so much ***** in my life, you can lose everything through drink, or any other addiction......
    I agree

What I find sad is football fans not bothing with a match on the telly or even going if they don't have a bet on it.
    "I need an interest" they say and "if I don't have a bet on then what's the point in watching it?"
    The point is, I thought you were a football fan!
    The problem is most people I know are Hibs fans not really football fans and could not careless if they missed a game on the tv. However if they have tenner on FGS or Correct score they would watch the game.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenOnions View Post

Why do we have to start somewhere though?

I doubt any gambling addicts are prompted to donit by advertising - if as many gamblers claim, it is an illness, advertising should make no difference other than differentiating between their bookie of choice.

People need to take some responsibility for themselves, and stop rushing to ban things they dont like or cant handle.

For most people, going to the fitba is inextricably linked with having a drink and putting on a coupon - its natural that they would heavily invest in sponsoring football.
    Last edited by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy; 07-09-2017 at 02:34 PM.

@hibs.net private member CyberSauzee's Avatar
    Banning advertising is pointless when the bookies can be seen in every high street across the UK.

I think the main point to be addressed is the FOBTs (fixed odds betting terminals) in bookies shops across the country.

IIRC each shop was limited to 3, down from 4 terminals a few years ago? Not sure on that, but the limit on these machines has never been decreased. You can do £200-£300 a minute on them.

They are the reason we've seen the rise in bookies' shops in high streets across the country, in places where there are already shops owned by the same firm a couple of hundred yards away.

Limiting the stakes or banning them outright would see hundreds of shops close but I would think go quite a bit to addressing problem gambling.

This is worth a read if you've got 20 minutes:

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-betting-shops

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Has advertising on a football shirt ever driven anyone to drink or gamble?
    No, but Hibs on the pitch have many times.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    What I find sad is football fans not bothing with a match on the telly or even going if they don't have a bet on it.
    "I need an interest" they say and "if I don't have a bet on then what's the point in watching it?"
    The point is, I thought you were a football fan!
    I'm like that. I can watch a football match when I've not got a bet on it, but I enjoy it more when I have got a bet on it. As soon as you have a bet on a game you're no longer a neutral, which makes it more enjoyable for me.
    Have you not seen the adverts? It matters more when there's money on it .

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreenside View Post
    does anyone go to have a bet when they normally wouldn't just because of marathon bet on the front of the hibs jersey?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    No, but Hibs on the pitch have many times.

The government should be looking to pass a law making the bookies take a decent bet at available odds from every punter before they ban anything to do with ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    The government should be looking to pass a law making the bookies take a decent bet at available odds from every punter before they ban anything to do with ads.
    Are you Barney Curley

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    I do have a wee punt via the betting facilities that are available at ER on matchday, I wonder if I'm in need of professional counselling to help me get over this terrible sin?

It's an awfy worry.

Are you Barney Curley
    The way i and many others have been treated by them you would think we're all Barney.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyhibee View Post
    Go and read studies on the impact of gambling advertising on adolescents in particular and its effects in them and tell me if you think someone can have an opinion on a subject like that.

In fact, maybe first - go and read when it's relevant to have an opinion on a subject.
    I'm confused. Are you saying that because of some studies into the subject, it's no longer relevant/"allowed" to have an opinion on the question of gambling advertising in sport.

I tend to actually go towards your side of the fence here. I don't think naked promotion of gambling, and especially these FO terminals should be unrestricted in sport.

But just because a few studies happen to support that view with, presumably, some fairly extreme "worst case scenario" examples, it doesn't make contrary opinions "irrelevant"

Sheesh

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Kinda forgot there was a Labour Party in Scotland. Guess this got them in the news for a day.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    Agreed. The behaviour of bookmakers towards their customers is scandalous. Limiting stakes and closing accounts of those who dare to win more often that the bookies like for example. Also making people jump through hoops to withdraw funds and even refusing to pay out.

Bookmakers do not like winners as much as they'd like everyone to believe that.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Kinda forgot there was a Labour Party in Scotland. Guess this got them in the news for a day.
    I kinda forgot there was any relevant party in Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post

I doubt any gambling addicts are prompted to do it by advertising
    You doubt wrongly. Its a fact, supported by incontrovertible evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Higgo View Post
    Agreed. The behaviour of bookmakers towards their customers is scandalous. Limiting stakes and closing accounts of those who dare to win more often that the bookies like for example. Also making people jump through hoops to withdraw funds and even refusing to pay out.

Bookmakers do not like winners as much as they'd like everyone to believe that.
    Do anything that does or even might affect their bottom line and you're not welcome. I've even been shut down for placing 6 losing bet with Stan James, not my fault they all halved in price.

Left by mutual consent!
    Not sure how anybody can say that advertisements don't make a difference. You think they just spend all that money on advertisements for no reason? Really?

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Are you Barney Curley
    Now theres a man who knew how to beat the bookies!

@hibs.net private member Greenfly's Avatar
    I support this totally. Of course it will impact on football but we don't have pitch side or programme ads now telling us that "Fit Fans Smoke Rocky Mounts" etc. as we did once upon a time. I have various old Hibs tops I wear with pride but don't and wouldn't wear one that promotes a bookie. It's maybe a bit less of a shocker than defacing the green with something like Wonga but it's madness to deny the horrific consequences that gambling has for some folk. I've got no problem with folk having the odd bet - good fun so long as you're fully in control of it but the sums that online bookies spend on football advertising are the self-evident proof that they consider it worthwhile in attracting customers. We could probably find some ethical gripe with most commercial sponsors if we dug deep enough but the ones that are directly responsible for helping some into untold misery are surely an exception. The gambling industry is a major part of that problem. I think the fact that such advertising on kids' shirts is already banned underlines the truth of the situation.

Banning sponsorship on a football shirt or even of football competitions won't make any difference. There will still be plenty of adverts on the TV, social media promotions, internet websites and of course the bookmaker shops.

Any serious attempt to deal with the gambling problem requires the gambling industry to be more tightly regulated but I'm not sure how practical that would be given that an addict could still use an online site based outwith the UK.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by High-On-Hibs View Post
    Not sure how anybody can say that advertisements don't make a difference. You think they just spend all that money on advertisements for no reason? Really?
    To buy product aye, to get addicted to it? That's personal responsibility.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    There's no way it would come into place. They would have to ban advertising too and the money pumped in through adverts is too much. Having a gambling sponsor doesn't make me bet with marathon bet unless I'm in the ground. Familiarity all the way. I'm not leaving bet 355 regardless of how decent outside the box is.
    You do remember cigarette adverts?

Where there is a will, there's a way.

Personally I'd ban booze adverts before gambling. Many more lives ruined by alcohol both in long term and in the short term.

That said, I do like a good swally.

J