hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 44
  1. #1
    Coaching Staff Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    31,706

    Would you/could you murder someone?

    I was reading something about Katie Hopkins and I fleetingly thought that I'd like to shoot her. Understandable, I'm sure (most of) you agree.

    In the early 80's, it was quite common for young dafties like me to get together in pubs and talk in sombre tones about sending someone to London to kill Margaret Thatcher.

    Of course, even if I had a gun, which I don't, I wouldn't really do something like that. The occasional homicidal fantasy about people I dislike intensely seems to be enough of a release valve for any anger I feel and I imagine most people have a similar outlook.

    Then I got thinking that although my upbringing and moral compass make it impossible for me to premeditatedly kill anyone, that obviously doesn't apply to everyone.

    So, without implicating yourself in anything, and excluding military service and possible episodes of sudden rage, are there any circumstances under which you would/could plan and kill another human being?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned 1,789.68!




  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    @hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Erm...........................
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,634
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    There's been a few occasions on the golf course I've thought about shooting myself
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

  4. #3
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    46
    Posts
    14,113
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was reading something about Katie Hopkins and I fleetingly thought that I'd like to shoot her. Understandable, I'm sure (most of) you agree.

    In the early 80's, it was quite common for young dafties like me to get together in pubs and talk in sombre tones about sending someone to London to kill Margaret Thatcher.

    Of course, even if I had a gun, which I don't, I wouldn't really do something like that. The occasional homicidal fantasy about people I dislike intensely seems to be enough of a release valve for any anger I feel and I imagine most people have a similar outlook.

    So, without implicating yourself in anything, and excluding military service and possible episodes of sudden rage, are there any circumstances under which you would/could plan and kill another human being?
    You're just touting for ideas! :-)

  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,972
    I think I could do it if someone else was putting either mine or a loved ones life in danger.

    Otherwise no, although like you Ms Hopkins would be first in line if that changes
    Mon the Hibs.

  6. #5
    @hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    6,750
    Hard to say. If there were no consequences it would be a lot more likely in that I wouldn't necessarily see any moral difference between killing someone at war or killing someone because they present a danger in civilian life.

  7. #6
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,399
    At 11:08 this morning I would have said no. One parking ticket later I'm like Michael Douglas in Falling Down.

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    10,805
    There's certain circumstances in which I would. If I was driving along and so a terrorist shooting people, I would have no problem running him over and killing him, and as someone else said if my family were in danger then I would like to think I would.
    I couldn't do anything like that through hatred towards them, in fact anything that was premeditated wouldn't be an option for me.

    GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    10,059
    Blog Entries
    1
    Like most people if it was a "them or me" situation, I just might but who knows?
    However, there have been a few individuals (some well known, some not) of whom I've thought this - if somebody was to "take them out' then the world would be a better place.

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member Higgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    352
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At 11:08 this morning I would have said no. One parking ticket later I'm like Michael Douglas in Falling Down.


    (For clarity the laugh is at the Falling Down reference, not the ticket!)

  11. #10
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    52
    Posts
    9,035
    It all depends on the target. I'd have no qualms about killing someone who was willing to use violence against me or mine and possibly others. If you're willing to live by the sword then you must risk dying by it. For various reasons I've become desensitized when it comes to death.

  12. #11
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,158
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's been a few occasions on the golf course I've thought about shooting myself
    On those kind of days, you'd probably miss!

  13. #12
    If someone seriously harmed a member of my family I think I could entertain the idea.
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

  14. #13
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    10,059
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's been a few occasions on the golf course I've thought about shooting myself
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On those kind of days, you'd probably miss!
    Hitler didn't miss with his bunker shot though.
    Last edited by snooky; 01-09-2017 at 03:28 PM.

  15. #14
    Coaching Staff Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    31,706
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At 11:08 this morning I would have said no. One parking ticket later I'm like Michael Douglas in Falling Down.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned 1,789.68!



  16. #15
    Coaching Staff lyonhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zurich
    Age
    32
    Posts
    11,394
    If they'd brought harm to my family then, as mentioned by a previous poster, it give it a decent shot (no pun intended).

    In a "kill or be killed" sitaution then perhaps.

    But fundamentally no, never. I hope that never gets tested.

  17. #16
    Scottish Cup Victory - Witness 2016 Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    50
    Posts
    15,331
    I can't really ever imagine my moral compass allowing me to do such a thing. Quite possible I suppose in a fit of rage if a loved one or friend had been injured or killed by another. I would much rather make someone suffer indefinitely as a reminder of what they had done.
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

  18. #17
    Testimonial Due Nameless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,621
    Could I kill someone? - Yes, given very specific circumstances.

    Would I kill someone? - Probably not, I'm too rational a person.

    Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

  19. #18
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    30,583
    If I witnessed someone seriously harming or even killing a relative I think I probably would be capable of murder.

    It's one of those things though that you never know how you'll react unless you're in that situation.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

  20. #19
    Testimonial Due Just Jimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Fife
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,570
    Probably could do it. Living with having done it would be different I imagine.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

  21. #20
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Could I kill someone? - Yes, given very specific circumstances.

    Would I kill someone? - Probably not, I'm too rational a person.

    Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
    Interesting discussion, and also an interesting turn of phrase you use.

    What has always struck me about real life killers who aren't off the dial mental (mostly reading gangster books etc) is just how rational they are - they dont hate their victims, they just make incredibly cold and rational decisions.

    Anyway, as other habe said, right (or wrong) circumstances, i think i could. But as someone else said, i hope i never have to.

    The point someone earliet made about consequences is also an interesting point!

  22. #21
    Testimonial Due Nameless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,621
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What has always struck me about real life killers who aren't off the dial mental (mostly reading gangster books etc) is just how rational they are - they dont hate their victims, they just make incredibly cold and rational decisions.
    I think "cold" and "rational" are diametrically opposed. I know what you are saying, but I think they are more detached than rational. I think to take a human life requires passion, delusion, hate or self-preservation, none of which marry with a rational person.


    Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

  23. #22
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    52
    Posts
    9,035
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think "cold" and "rational" are diametrically opposed. I know what you are saying, but I think they are more detached than rational. I think to take a human life requires passion, delusion, hate or self-preservation, none of which marry with a rational person.


    Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
    It can be either or. Murder for personal gain can even be both.

  24. #23
    Testimonial Due Nameless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,621
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It can be either or. Murder for personal gain can even be both.
    Surely murder for personal gain is delusion. You convince yourself that it is the quickest, or most simple route to your end goal. If not that, then it is a psychotic response to a situation, which in itself lacks rational thought.

    Do you think a rational person ever chooses such an extreme response?

    Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

  25. #24
    @hibs.net private member calumhibee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,449
    I couldn't kill someone premeditated. I couldn't even fight someone if it was premeditated. However, as someone else said, if you say got caught up in a terrorist attack and for whatever reason the opportunity arose to kill the attacker, I don't think I'd have any problem with it. Likewise, in a kill or be kill situation, I think I'd be able to. But it's impossible to say really.

  26. #25
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    2,175
    It's easy to hide behind a keyboard and say that you would do it if the circumstances presented themselves. But in all probability, you would ***** bricks and not do a thing, as would I.

  27. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Surely murder for personal gain is delusion. You convince yourself that it is the quickest, or most simple route to your end goal. If not that, then it is a psychotic response to a situation, which in itself lacks rational thought.

    Do you think a rational person ever chooses such an extreme response?
    If a poor younger person marries a rich older person with the sole intention of becoming rich when the older person dies, shirley murdering the older person would be the "quickest, most simple route to the end goal?" Highly rational and the exact opposite of delusional, non?

  28. #27
    I could,I believe it's not hard for someone to kill a life
    I wouldn't kill someone,'cause we don't have the right to take it away from someone.


  29. #28
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Surely murder for personal gain is delusion. You convince yourself that it is the quickest, or most simple route to your end goal. If not that, then it is a psychotic response to a situation, which in itself lacks rational thought.

    Do you think a rational person ever chooses such an extreme response?

    Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
    I disagree a bit - i think context dependant ( a huge caveat admittedly) it can be the rational thing to do, in a 'rational self interest kind' of way

  30. #29
    Coaching Staff steakbake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Gate 38
    Posts
    7,629
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyJR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I could,I believe it's not hard for someone to kill a life
    I wouldn't kill someone,'cause we don't have the right to take it away from someone.

    An interesting first post!

  31. #30
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    52
    Posts
    9,035
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree a bit - i think context dependant ( a huge caveat admittedly) it can be the rational thing to do, in a 'rational self interest kind' of way
    Rationality is also dependant on people's personal moral compass.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved