hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 258
  1. #121
    Coaching Staff One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    53
    Posts
    5,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stay on topic, man. Isn't this thread supposed to be about Labour knocking lumps out of itself?
    Listen, there's always time to be spared to take pot shots at you in passing.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #122
    Coaching Staff One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    53
    Posts
    5,074
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A lot to applaud in your first paragraph, I do want to ask though, about your point re. MPs selling second homes.

    How does that work for MPs from outside Greater London? How does an MP from Cardiff or Inverness or Edinburgh etc accommodate your position? Donít serve their constituents in person much by living in London, or sleep in the cloakroom at Westminster on the very regular days theyíre expected to do their job in the House of Commons, but have a bed somewhere else far far away?


    I (if anyone was daft enough to give me any power ) would create/acquire a flat/apartment in London that is assigned to each constituency (that requires one), and is the ĎMPí home whilst there. The MP keeps their own home in their constituency. The MP is responsible for the decorating, upkeep etc of the apartment, and when they are voted out of office, they hand back the keys to the new incumbent/someone in Westminster tasked to manage these things. Any significant maintainance required (not wanted, required), the MP approaches the expenses controllers to discuss.


    Sensible idea.

    Doesn't address the question of how they can be made to sell any other properties though, or whether they should be made to...

  4. #123
    @hibs.net proletariat member Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    North stand
    Posts
    15,686
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A lot to applaud in your first paragraph, I do want to ask though, about your point re. MPs selling second homes.

    How does that work for MPs from outside Greater London? How does an MP from Cardiff or Inverness or Edinburgh etc accommodate your position? Donít serve their constituents in person much by living in London, or sleep in the cloakroom at Westminster on the very regular days theyíre expected to do their job in the House of Commons, but have a bed somewhere else far far away?


    I (if anyone was daft enough to give me any power ) would create/acquire a flat/apartment in London that is assigned to each constituency (that requires one), and is the ĎMPí home whilst there. The MP keeps their own home in their constituency. The MP is responsible for the decorating, upkeep etc of the apartment, and when they are voted out of office, they hand back the keys to the new incumbent/someone in Westminster tasked to manage these things. Any significant maintainance required (not wanted, required), the MP approaches the expenses controllers to discuss.
    Something like that would be ideal.

  5. #124
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    47
    Posts
    17,539
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's not in the Corbynite tent, but he's certainly electable. Unless the judgment is being made on a partisan political basis.
    He would be toast in the working class constituencies that Labour needs to win. Polling absolutely bears this out.

  6. #125
    Testimonial Due Glory Lurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Miles from in the know
    Posts
    2,176
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Listen, there's always time to be spared to take pot shots at you in passing.
    Fair shout.

  7. #126
    Coaching Staff One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    53
    Posts
    5,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fair shout.


  8. #127
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    47
    Posts
    17,539
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stay on topic, man. Isn't this thread supposed to be about Labour knocking lumps out of itself?
    The Labour Party is looking more united than it has done for a long while. The MPs who were against him are probably still against him, but know they're onto a good thing with the Tory ship sailing close to the Brexit rocks.

  9. #128
    @hibs.net proletariat member Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    North stand
    Posts
    15,686
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jolly good. Why didn't that translate into an election win then?
    It will, once more of them realise their vote will count and head to the ballot box. The Tories still donít understand why young people favour Corbyns Labour so I donít think they ever will.

    A lot can change in five years (maximum) but the momentum and trends tell you one thing.

  10. #129
    Coaching Staff One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    53
    Posts
    5,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It will, once more of them realise their vote will count and head to the ballot box. The Tories still donít understand why young people favour Corbyns Labour so I donít think they ever will.

    A lot can change in five years (maximum) but the momentum and trends tell you one thing.

    I think people are going to pay for this personality cult with a further four years of Tory government on top of the present four they're already paying. Let's see.

  11. #130
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,791
    Any talk of how well Corbin supposedly did at the last election is delusional IMO.

    The swing to Labour was broadly similar to that in 1997.

    The Labour share of the vote was broadly similar to that in 2001.

    Have you spotted the difference yet?

    In 1997, Labour turned that swing into a majority of 179.

    In 2001, Labour turned that vote share into a majority of 167.

    Corbyn? Well, he managed to finish 55 seats behind the Tories.

    That's the difference.

    He can persuade lots of Corbyn-minded people to get out and vote, but that isn't going to win an election because he needs to persuade those who aren't Corbyn-minded. They're the ones who will make it happen.

    Its no good piling up votes in safe seats. Winning an Aylesbury and a Kensington is likewise meaningless. It needs to be twenty of each.

    The Blair-haters will, I guess, hate this but it's incontrovertible. He got people who wouldn't think of voting Labour to vote Labour. That's why he got majorities that needed weighed rather than counted and that's why Corbyn finished a country mile behind the shambolic Tories. Corbyn may tickle the tummies of the disaffected left but that is sheer self-indulgence when it's clear that he's not reaching the electorate in a way that will allow Labour to govern again.

    Maybe he can change that, I doubt it but I don't know. What I do know, and this is something I think his followers will agree with, is that the right-wing press still carry some heft in shaping the agenda. I believe they have gone easy on him so far. They are saving their ammo should the next election polls suggest he has a chance. If that's the case then they will unleash everything they have and those who like Labour policies but are suspicious about whether it's safe will just flock back to the Tories, same as 1987 and 1992.

    I recently re-read Philip Gould's history of the turmoils in the party from the mid-80s through to New Labour, the missed opportunities brought about by clinging to a dogmatism that appeased the ideologues but did nothing to win over those who fundamentally mistrusted 'Old Labour'. It feels like we are repeating those mistakes.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  12. #131
    Coaching Staff Betty Boop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sunny Leith
    Posts
    8,244
    Sorry to hear that Rodney Bickerstaffe has passed away. A decent man and great trade unionist. RIP Rodney.

  13. #132
    Coaching Staff One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    53
    Posts
    5,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry to hear that Rodney Bickerstaffe has passed away. A decent man and great trade unionist. RIP Rodney.
    A guy whose contribution to the Labour movement was pretty profound. One of the best at reconciling the demands of radicalism and the pursuit of power. Not many like him sadly.

  14. #133
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,343
    Jeremy Corbyn today...

    "Congratulations to the International campaign to abolish nuclear weapons on well deserved Nobel peace prize award".

    BUT


    **** it, let's renew Trident, anyway.

  15. #134
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,343
    Anybody got a spare e mail addy or two. Need to vote in the upcoming election.

    Jackie Baillie and a brewery spring to mind.

  16. #135
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    19,786
    I'm not a fan of Kez, but I found this quite funny..

    https://twitter.com/kezdugdale/statu...04284024147968

    Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

  17. #136
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,343
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not a fan of Kez, but I found this quite funny..

    https://twitter.com/kezdugdale/statu...04284024147968

    Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

    😍👌

  18. #137
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,343
    I hope she wins.

    https://t.co/Ap3hg8qx5I

  19. #138
    ADMIN marinello59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I still live in hope.
    Posts
    28,157
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope she wins.

    https://t.co/Ap3hg8qx5I
    Unbelievable. I hope she has to do every single trial while she is in there. If I was one of her constituents Iíd be voting for her to take part every night.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

  20. #139
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,343
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unbelievable. I hope she has to do every single trial while she is in there. If I was one of her constituents Iíd be voting for her to take part every night.
    She's just getting on with the day job.

  21. #140
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    59
    Posts
    12,840
    Leonard wins then. No surprise.

  22. #141
    ADMIN marinello59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I still live in hope.
    Posts
    28,157
    Leonard wins the Scottish Labour leadership battle easily.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

  23. #142
    @hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    in a house in Bathgate
    Posts
    26,930
    so, Leonard it is


    wonder if sarwar will ask for his shares back in the family business
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 18-11-2017 at 11:19 AM.

  24. #143
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    47
    Posts
    17,539
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Leonard wins the Scottish Labour leadership battle easily.
    I voted for him. Hopefully another step towards electability.

  25. #144
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,324
    Delighted that Leonard has won but itís pathetic that Dugdale is going into Iím a Celebrity

  26. #145
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    47
    Posts
    17,539
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Delighted that Leonard has won but itís pathetic that Dugdale is going into Iím a Celebrity
    I won't be happy unless she imitates being a cat lapping up milk with Rula Lenska. Oh mama.

  27. #146
    @hibs.net proletariat member Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    North stand
    Posts
    15,686
    Really pleased Richard won. Time for socialism in Scotland.

    And all the phone calls from his team will now stop. I suppose thatís people power for you. :-D

  28. #147
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really pleased Richard won. Time for socialism in Scotland.

    And all the phone calls from his team will now stop. I suppose thatís people power for you. :-D
    That will never happen, but labour may well gain moren influence, particuarly if they can erode the SNP gains in the left leaning post industrial areas.

    A more pluralist politics in Scotland would be welcome.

    But there will never be 'socialism' in Scotland.

  29. #148
    ADMIN marinello59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I still live in hope.
    Posts
    28,157
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I voted for him. Hopefully another step towards electability.
    Itís a small step but a significant one. Scottish Labour did itself a real favour today.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

  30. #149
    @hibs.net proletariat member Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    North stand
    Posts
    15,686
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That will never happen, but labour may well gain moren influence, particuarly if they can erode the SNP gains in the left leaning post industrial areas.

    A more pluralist politics in Scotland would be welcome.

    But there will never be 'socialism' in Scotland.
    Never say never comrade.

    Experts were lining up for years to tell us Labour was finished under Mr Corbyn.

  31. #150
    ADMIN marinello59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I still live in hope.
    Posts
    28,157
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That will never happen, but labour may well gain moren influence, particuarly if they can erode the SNP gains in the left leaning post industrial areas.

    A more pluralist politics in Scotland would be welcome.

    But there will never be 'socialism' in Scotland.
    Corbyn will never become the Labour leader.
    The UK will never vote for Brexit.
    Trump will never become President.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved