hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The work Christmas night out...............

It was with no small degree of relief that I realised I'll be out of the country on business on the date of this year's work Xmas night out.

Am I alone in feeling, at best, a total sense of ennui with this "tradition"?

Here in Switzerland there's generally less of the mass drinking and ****ging the secretary in the cloakroom etc but still, as I work a 30 minute train ride from where I live it will doubtless be a meal in some relatively remote restaurant with some jaunty hot drink outside part.

Last year, inexplicably, we went on a walk in the pitch ******' black holding these big wax candles that then proceeded to drip all over my decent shoes before the meal

There's just always something else I'd rather be doing of a winter night then spending it with the people I already work with for 40+ hours a week.

2. Log in to remove the advert

The places putting on Christmas menus, everywhere, ought to hang their collective heads in shame at the overpriced crap they throw on the tables.

Having said that I've always quite enjoyed these events.
    Space to let

Never been to an official one and never will. I told all the huns in my work to get their names down as it's the only way they'll get back to Hampden this season.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The places putting on Christmas menus, everywhere, ought to hang their collective heads in shame at the overpriced crap they throw on the tables.
    Spot on, the menus are garbage. When I am invited to something like this the first thing I do is look for whats on the menu and they are usually asking for £30+ for it as well. No thanks, I'll take a half day and go to lunch with my family.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    Spot on, the menus are garbage. When I am invited to something like this the first thing I do is look for whats on the menu and they are usually asking for £30+ for it as well. No thanks, I'll take a half day and go to lunch with my family.
    That's ordinarily what I do too.

I felt a little more compelled than normal this year, as I've just started a new job and arrived as all of the emails etc were doing the rounds, but again, looked at the menu and thought 'nah'.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Luckily for me the food option is over subscribed so I only need to turn up after for the "disco" even that fills me with dread

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    I love our Christmas and Summer parties. There's worse nights out than spending them with 300 over sexed, scantily dressed and inebriated stewardesses. Next year it will be over 700.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Tip to revellers at works night out.
    Stay sober. You'll reap the benefits in many ways for the rest of the year.
    Trust me on this one.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Always loved the Christmas day/night out. You just choose your company carefully and ignore the idiots that get pished once a year....

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Tip to revellers at works night out.
    Stay sober. You'll reap the benefits in many ways for the rest of the year.
    Trust me on this one.
    Just don’t be ‘that’ person that reminds everyone that was drunk what they got up to when they were drunk. Nobody wants to be told and the folk that do that (normally Middle Aged women that moan about everything) do my head in.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Never been to a work night out and have absolutely no intention at all of going to one any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I love our Christmas and Summer parties. There's worse nights out than spending them with 300 over sexed, scantily dressed and inebriated stewardesses. Next year it will be over 700.
    Is that you Harvey?

Quote Originally Posted by hibs#1 View Post
    Is that you Harvey?
    So being in the company of lots of ladies letting their hair down and enjoying themselves is not your thing. No need to be a cock about it though.

So being in the company of lots of ladies letting their hair down and enjoying themselves is not your thing. No need to be a cock about it though.
    Just a little joke,obviously missed the mark buy hey-ho.

Just a little joke,obviously missed the mark buy hey-ho.
    If likening a fellow member to a sex offender is your sense of humour then yes, you missed the mark by a mile.

@hibs.net private member

To be fair your post wasnt the best.

If likening a fellow member to a sex offender is your sense of humour then yes, you missed the mark by a mile.
    Oh well I'm sorry if I offended you.Im sure your description of your female colleagues would probably offended them too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    To be fair your post wasnt the best.
    To be fair the day when a man can't say he enjoys being amongst scantily dressed and over sexed women without being equated to a sex offender will be a sad one indeed.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    To be fair the day when a man can't say he enjoys being amongst scantily dressed and over sexed women without being equated to a sex offender will be a sad one indeed.
    Fwiw I think you’re over-reacting.

It was clearly intended as a light hearted joke and he wasn’t calling you a sex offender, it’s obviously just a topical name at the moment.

On a side note where is it you work and can I come to your Christmas night out please?

@hibs.net private member

Wow. Well today may be a sad day then.

I agree. Possibly my joke was in bad taste but the original post definitely was.

Every year I say I'm not going but the hassle of having to explain why not makes it easier just to say yes.

It's the classic company wanting to make a big deal of giving you something but doing it on their terms. You will have fun but only fun as it's prescribed by a 'trusted' person organising the whole ordeal.

Everything about it annoys me. Women spending months planning their outfits, booking hairdressers and make up artists in a passive aggressive game of trying to out do one another. Guys throwing back double brandies because it's free drink. Being looked at as a bit weird because your not hyperventilating with excitement or trying to give yourself alcohol poisoning. Then you have the boss constantly asking if you are havinga good time because you are only drinking a pint at a normal rate all the while carefully noting everyone who is a bit worse for wear so he can drop the bitching grenade then run back in the office the following week.

It's a bit like a fancy dress party; fun for people with no imagination or sense of humour.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

It’s bad enough working with a****s let along drinking with them.staff do’s arent for me

Office parties are great. Plenty of scope for embarrassing behaviour. Step right up and get your erse photocopied.

Oh well I'm sorry if I offended you.Im sure your description of your female colleagues would probably offended them too.
    Fair doos, as for my female colleagues, well I take it you've never been to an airline bash? It can get rather boisterous and rumbustious. As for my description of them, well most of them describe themselves similar.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Fwiw I think you’re over-reacting.

It was clearly intended as a light hearted joke and he wasn’t calling you a sex offender, it’s obviously just a topical name at the moment.

On a side note where is it you work and can I come to your Christmas night out please?
    You might be right but comparing someone you don't know (even in jest) to a prolific sex offender is a risky attempt at humour that probably wouldn't be made face to face. I'm a strong believer that you should say anything on the net that you wouldn't do in the real world.

I could get you an invite but only as my partner

Maybe you need to accept and tolerate the fact that not every group's idea of a party is tea and biscuits in the local church hall. Berlin is and always has been known to be a sexually heterogeneous society and airline staff for their open mindedness. Maybe not everyone can or wants to live up to your high puritan standards.

I agree. Possibly my joke was in bad taste but the original post definitely was.
    In your world possibly, but please don't try and project your personal standards on to others.

Quote Originally Posted by bod View Post
    It’s bad enough working with a****s let along drinking with them.staff do’s arent for me
    Sounds more like you need a change of job.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Office parties are great. Plenty of scope for embarrassing behaviour. Step right up and get your erse photocopied.
    That is so last century. Nowadays it's all on Instagram before you can say ticklestick.