hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Slivka.

Think we may have unearthed a gem in Slivka. Looked the part in the Scotland game and will only get better as he get used to the Prem. Really looking forward to see how he progresses over the season 👍

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I take it every other club he has been at has missed it and he has landed at Hibs
    Its almost like you want him to be a failure, so so negative. The guy is a tremendous signing.

Quote Originally Posted by supermcginn View Post
    Its almost like you want him to be a failure, so so negative. The guy is a tremendous signing.
    I just think it is embarrasing claiming he is class so early especially when we have won only one of the three games he has played in. I want him to be a huge success but please let him prove himself before we judge him.

P. S. If you look at my postsI dont think i have been negative just realistic.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by supermcginn View Post
    They don't want him to be a failure. Just pointing out that your Tremendous signing line MIGHT be a bit premature.

Honestly you can't know if someone is a tremendous signing after 3 or 4 games.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    They don't want him to be a failure. Just pointing out that your Tremendous signing line MIGHT be a bit premature.

Honestly you can't know if someone is a tremendous signing after 3 or 4 games.
    You can tell if they're a good player though. I knew within five minutes of seeing Scott Allan in a Hibs strip that he was a player.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

Slivka is a classy player. Watching him for 5 minutes showed that, glides about and can control the pace. I don't need to see him 30 times to confirm it.

I thought he was pretty anonymous last night though. In fairness he didn't have much to work with.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Bit wasted out on the right IMO.
    While I agree that he would be better in the middle, I think your being a wee bit unfair, I thought Slivka had a really good game and showed he's a class act that were lucky to have as he can play either through the middle or wide right, if we had let him play in the middle which is his natural position it would have meant moving either Bartley or SJM to wide right.

imo the team shape looked good lots of chances were created, on another day it would be a convincing win, you can only play with the players you have and im more than happy to let Lennon pick the team, no need to change the shape for me

Quote Originally Posted by Pedantic_Hibee View Post
    You can tell if they're a good player though. I knew within five minutes of seeing Scott Allan in a Hibs strip that he was a player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Slivka is a classy player. Watching him for 5 minutes showed that, glides about and can control the pace. I don't need to see him 30 times to confirm it.

I thought he was pretty anonymous last night though. In fairness he didn't have much to work with.

Pa Kujabi, Abdul Zarabi, Victor Pallson and James Collins are just some of the players that we've been told on here at the time they were great players after "5 minutes" in a Hibs jersey.

No harm in waiting a bit longer before making up your mind.

I just think it is embarrasing claiming he is class so early especially when we have won only one of the three games he has played in. I want him to be a huge success but please let him prove himself before we judge him.

P. S. If you look at my postsI dont think i have been negative just realistic.
    We won the first 3 games he played in so...?

2 league cup ties and Ibrox

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    We won the first 3 games he played in so...?

2 league cup ties and Ibrox
    Please accept my apologies you have convinced me he is CLASS

@hibs.net private member Arch Stanton's Avatar
    Pa Kujabi, Abdul Zarabi, Victor Pallson and James Collins are just some of the players that we've been told on here at the time they were great players after "5 minutes" in a Hibs jersey.

No harm in waiting a bit longer before making up your mind.
    Isn't that a bit like waiting until the race is finished before making a prediction on who the winner will be?

Quote Originally Posted by crabis View Post
    Isn't that a bit like waiting until the race is finished before making a prediction on who the winner will be?
    No.

Its more like saying that horse I've backed has has had a promising start and has a good chance of winning this race, but there are still a couple of miles to go and 10 fences left to jump before ill know if im picking up any winnings.

Other people are saying that the horse has 100% won the race after only a couple of furlongs.

@hibs.net private member Arch Stanton's Avatar
    No.

Its more like saying that horse I've backed has has had a promising start
    and has a good chance of winning this race, but there are still a couple of miles to go and 10 fences left to jump before ill know if im picking up any winnings.

Other people are saying that the horse has 100% won the race after only a couple of furlongs.
    But you still wait till the race has started before deciding which way to jump - it would certainly be a neat trick if it was possible.

But some people actually back their judgement while the horse is still a foal - idiots would you call them?

Coaching Staff
    No.

Its more like saying that horse I've backed has has had a promising start and has a good chance of winning this race, but there are still a couple of miles to go and 10 fences left to jump before ill know if im picking up any winnings.

No, it's more like saying it looks a good horse, not that it has or will win anything.

No.

Surely not.It's saying that the horse is good enough to be in the race and you contradict yourself by saying that your horse is good enough to win so you've backed it but don't think the same judgement can be made about the player.

Boys not a horse, he is a very good player though. Pretty easy to tell actually!

Quote Originally Posted by crabis View Post
    But you still wait till the race has started before deciding which way to jump - it would certainly be a neat trick if it was possible.

But some people actually back their judgement while the horse is still a foal - idiots would you call them?
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Surely not.It's saying that the horse is good enough to be in the race and you contradict yourself by saying that your horse is good enough to win so you've backed it but don't think the same judgement can be made about the player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    No, it's more like saying it looks a good horse, not that it has or will win anything.

To be honest the horse racing analogy started by Crabis is bonkers, I shouldn't have tried to make it work somehow

Quite right.I don't understand my own post.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Boys not a horse, he is a very good player though. Pretty easy to tell actually!
    Funny cause you said exactly the same thing about James Collins after a few games

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Much as I think Slivka looks a player, I've seen too many new hibs players who have played well for their few games. I'm impressed with them, and then they are absolutely shocking
    I'll judge him at the end of the season, and hope he's kept his form throughout the campaign

First Team Breakthrough Curly1875's Avatar
    Funny cause you said exactly the same thing about James Collins after a few games
    Aye but he was a donkey, not a horse

Haha, touché!

For the record I actually think Collins is a good striker. Shame he played in such a bad hibs team. But his attitude stunk so glad he's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Curly1875 View Post
    Aye but he was a donkey, not a horse
    absolutely correct!

Haha, touché!

For the record I actually think Collins is a good striker. Shame he played in such a bad hibs team. But his attitude stunk so glad he's gone.
    there lies the problem with making bold claims early on - people refusing to admit they got it wrong once the truth had been revealed

there lies the problem with making bold claims early on - people refusing to admit they got it wrong once the truth had been revealed
    He's done pretty well everywhere else to be fair. Again I don't think he was the worst player for us. Although no where near got to the levels he should have.

Interesting debate.

Many years ago I knew within 5 minutes of watching my 7 year old laddie play that he would never make a premier league player. I was right (sorry, son).

Within 5 minutes of seeing Slivka it was obvious, at least to me, we had a seriously good player on our hands.

Opinions, eh!

He's done pretty well everywhere else to be fair. Again I don't think he was the worst player for us. Although no where near got to the levels he should have.
    Now there is a compliment

Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    Interesting debate.

Many years ago I knew within 5 minutes of watching my 7 year old laddie play that he would never make a premier league player. I was right (sorry, son).

Within 5 minutes of seeing Slivka it was obvious, at least to me, we had a seriously good player on our hands.

Opinions, eh!
    See, you put your first mistake right at the start.
    You can never tell how good a seven year old is going to be. All their important football development takes place between 11-15. Everything before is just building blocks.
    You should have persevered with your boy

How did he play tonight?

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    How did he play tonight?
    Wasn't great tbh, was expecting more from him but he had a quiet game