hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by HiBremian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A sure sign that, in a city with something like 5% bike use, and pisspoor cycling infrastructure, actually, the world revolves around the planet car, but people are so addicted that they can't see it. ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

It's not much to have added in rubber fittings to the tramlines. When you're cycling over them, you have to take them at a particular angle. They are dangerous, no doubt.

Scottish Cup Victory - Witness 2016 Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    I can't believe something hasn't already been done to minimise the risk particularly at accident blackspots like Haymarket.
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Being aware of it is one thing. Having to swerve suddenly (wherever that takes you) because of a random pedestrian, taxi-driver, or pot-hole is quite another.
    Oi why do we always get the blame
    [SIGPIC]

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    It might not have been easy, but it wasn't "impossible". Plenty folk did it without coming off thier bike.
    I'd suggest if it was wet and cyclists were to follow the original line then it was virtually impossible to cross the rail without either sliding laterally or getting one or both wheels trapped.
    Bearing in mind cyclists filter to the front of a queue (advance stop box) so this meant you were tackling a tricky obstacle with big vehicles bearing down on you.
    I've never slipped on the rails but that is because I'm clipped in and can jump sideways over the rail, I do the same when I head in to town (from Corstorphine) and have to change lanes to go down Waverley Bridge. I've seen many cyclists slip, slide & fall though and it would be very harsh to blame them as the ones I've seen have exercised care but they have still come a cropper.
    I've cycled in London (well, Croydon actually) & Manchester and there doesn't seem to be half as many problems but the infrastructure is slightly different (proper cycle lanes for a start, the only PROPER cycle lane we have is at Newcraighall).
    The council are aware there are some sections of rail that need attention (rail-head proud of road surface) but not a lot seems to have been done as whenever "trams" are mentioned folk seem to bury their heads.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Oi why do we always get the blame
    Easy target, mate

Seriously, I generally find that the professional drivers (taxis, buses, big lorries)... ie those whose livelihood depends on staying safe and driving carefully... are considerate of cyclists. However, you know how it works.... pedestrian tourist (who isn't used to our driving on the left) steps out in front of taxi.... driver instinctively swerves... cyclist goes over bonnet or swerves into tram-track.
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 23-08-2017 at 10:30 AM.

@hibs.net private member HiBremian's Avatar
    Tramline cycle lane.jpg

Thought I'd drop this pic in to show how cyclists deal with the trams in Bremen. Yep, clearly needs a "look where you're going" course to use these cycle lanes, but it also needs a "stop hassling cyclists and drive slowly" course for the motorists that can't get past the pootling cyclists . Tram drivers have accepted that on this stretch - about 800 metres - they'll be travelling slowly.

Tramline cycle lane.jpg

Thought I'd drop this pic in to show how cyclists deal with the trams in Bremen. Yep, clearly needs a "look where you're going" course to use these cycle lanes, but it also needs a "stop hassling cyclists and drive slowly" course for the motorists that can't get past the pootling cyclists . Tram drivers have accepted that on this stretch - about 800 metres - they'll be travelling slowly.
    There's no way the council here would ever do anything that would slow the tram down, even though it seems like a very sensible idea. The tram can only do 20mph anyway.
    I might be wrong, but I think there's cycle lanes along the whole tram route in Edinburgh.
    [SIGPIC]

There's no way the council here would ever do anything that would slow the tram down, even though it seems like a very sensible idea. The tram can only do 20mph anyway.
    I might be wrong, but I think there's cycle lanes along the whole tram route in Edinburgh.
    You are.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    There should be but there ain't .... It was crying out for something like that and would have removed a whole load of bikes from some busy roads....

The bit from Haymarket to Balgreen doesn't anything apart from the tracks.
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

Tramline cycle lane.jpg

The ones in Bilbao are set in a strip of grass. Looks reallygood

Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    There should be but there ain't .... It was crying out for something like that and would have removed a whole load of bikes from some busy roads....

The bit from Haymarket to Balgreen doesn't anything apart from the tracks.
    I was meaning the areas where there are roads. I agree though, a cycle path along that stretch would be helpful.
    [SIGPIC]

This thread is supremely ironic given the number of cyclists killed and injured by drivers who can't look where they are going.

@hibs.net private member
    I have no wish to detract from the serious intent of this thread, but this course sounds like a great idea.
    They should make it mandatory for all the idiots who think they can read their phones and walk down a busy street at the same time.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    I was meaning the areas where there are roads. I agree though, a cycle path along that stretch would be helpful.
    Ah... Fair do's... When I first saw there wasn't one I couldn't believe it.
    Felt like a huge wasted opportunity.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    I have no wish to detract from the serious intent of this thread, but this course sounds like a great idea.
    They should make it mandatory for all the idiots who think they can read their phones and walk down a busy street at the same time.

Hmm... i dunno... it seems to me that natural selection has taken its course. Many of the younger generation seem to have developed an inbuilt sensory device that allows them to weave through crowds whilst posting on FB.

It's a remarkable talent.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post

Do that in London and some bloke on a moped will grab it off you.

One parallel question is that I seem motorcyclists runni g red lights and speeding a hell of a lot. I wondered if they are picked by speed cameras etc or whether they are not sizeable enough to register.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Tramline cycle lane.jpg

I was in Bremen in September last year and a cyclist took a nasty fall after hitting a tram track. I don't think trams and bikes are especially compatible.
    http://hibscomebackison.blogspot.co.uk/ - Read my blog "So A Season Starts.. " - Updated TODAY 03/08/15

@hibs.net private member HiBremian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I was in Bremen in September last year and a cyclist took a nasty fall after hitting a tram track. I don't think trams and bikes are especially compatible.
    You're right Matty. This particular "solution" was to get round the lack of space for a proper cycle path, on a busy shopping street with more cyclists than drivers, but it's still not ideal. Bremen folk grow up with bicycles and tram tracks in their genes, they're usually pretty skilled at dealing with them, but as you saw there are still some nasty accidents. Still, they are far far fewer, and less damaging, than cyclists getting hit by motor vehicles, so on balance I'd prefer folks to use trams than drive cars in the city.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Do that in London and some bloke on a moped will grab it off you.

One parallel question is that I seem motorcyclists runni g red lights and speeding a hell of a lot. I wondered if they are picked by speed cameras etc or whether they are not sizeable enough to register.
    Motorcyclists? Where was this?