hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 50
  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    10,059
    Blog Entries
    1

    "Look where you're going" course urgently required

    https://stv.tv/news/east-central/139...am-track-fall/
    Blame society at it again. "Look where you're going" course urgently required.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    @hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,360
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://stv.tv/news/east-central/139...am-track-fall/
    Blame society at it again. "Look where you're going" course urgently required.
    I think there's more to it than "look where you are going".
    There are sections of rail that have an illegally high profile with the road. The junction at Haymarket had to get re-designed as the original fed cyclists in to the tracks at too acute an angle. There's a similar situation along at Prince's St/St Andrew Square.
    Whilst it's very easy to suggest cyclists should pay attention, or not cycle near tram tracks altogether, the local authority still has a duty to install safe infrastructure.
    Compared to Manchester or Croydon, we're having far too many incidents. There must be a reason for that.

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    10,059
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think there's more to it than "look where you are going".
    There are sections of rail that have an illegally high profile with the road. The junction at Haymarket had to get re-designed as the original fed cyclists in to the tracks at too acute an angle. There's a similar situation along at Prince's St/St Andrew Square.
    Whilst it's very easy to suggest cyclists should pay attention, or not cycle near tram tracks altogether, the local authority still has a duty to install safe infrastructure.
    Compared to Manchester or Croydon, we're having far too many incidents. There must be a reason for that.
    Too many cyclists, no?

  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    10,059
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    .
    Aha CWG, I can see your point.

  6. #5
    @hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    West Lothian
    Posts
    857
    Easy solution. Ban cyclists from the tram route.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #6
    @hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    6,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Easy solution. Ban cyclists from the tram route.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's no need for cyclists to go anywhere near it.

  8. #7
    Coaching Staff Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    31,706
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's no need for cyclists to go anywhere near it.
    Unless they live or work there, or want to go there, which they're perfectly entitled to do.

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    10,059
    Blog Entries
    1
    These days the world must revolve round the planet Bike, or so it would appear.

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member HiBremian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Banks of the Weser
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,554

    "Look where you're going" course urgently required

    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    These days the world must revolve round the planet Bike, or so it would appear.
    A sure sign that, in a city with something like 5% bike use, and pisspoor cycling infrastructure, actually, the world revolves around the planet car, but people are so addicted that they can't see it. ;-)


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  11. #10
    @hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    6,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unless they live or work there, or want to go there, which they're perfectly entitled to do.
    People can do what they like but it's entirely avoidable and id it's that much of a safety concern then it seems sensible to avoid.

  12. #11
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    10,805
    It all comes down to money in the end. There aren't any accidents these days. I find the whole thing sickening tbh.

    GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

  13. #12
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    425
    I think drivers that constantly have a go at cyclists would change their views if they went for a cycle in the city. You would see all the ***** we have to put up with!
    Last edited by Mr Grieves; 22-08-2017 at 06:40 AM.

  14. #13
    Coaching Staff Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    31,706
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People can do what they like but it's entirely avoidable and id it's that much of a safety concern then it seems sensible to avoid.
    Why should they have to?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned 1,789.68!



  15. #14
    @hibs.net private member Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dont know its too dark in here
    Age
    60
    Posts
    9,467
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unless they live or work there, or want to go there, which they're perfectly entitled to do.
    Not if they're banned from doing so.

    I agree the simple thing to do would be to ban bikes from the tram route. Where there's a road that crosses the track or where cyclists live or work on the tram route they should dismount and push their bike.
    Space to let

  16. #15
    Coaching Staff Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    31,706
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not if they're banned from doing so.

    I agree the simple thing to do would be to ban bikes from the tram route. Where there's a road that crosses the track or where cyclists live or work on the tram route they should dismount and push their bike.
    The tram line goes past thousands of houses and shops and workplaces.

    You'd need to build a whole new infrastructure to accommodate your idea.

    Why not simply fix the track?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned 1,789.68!



  17. #16
    @hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    6,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The tram line goes past thousands of houses and shops and workplaces.

    You'd need to build a whole new infrastructure to accommodate your idea.

    Why not simply fix the track?
    Is there a way to simply fix the track? What change would be made to it? (Genuine question)

    You say it goes past thousands of houses and workplaces but in reality it's only haymarket and shandwick place where cyclists would be close to it. That could be easily avoided by going along Grosvenor Crescent or Melville street, or if you live on those streets then dismount and walk for 2 mins.
    Last edited by Speedy; 22-08-2017 at 12:29 PM.

  18. #17
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    10,059
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Easy solution. Ban cyclists from the tram route.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cars are prohibited or partially restricted from using many streets so what's the difference with doing the same with bikes - or are they untouchable?

  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 'Mains
    Posts
    2,775
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is there a way to simply fix the track? What change would be made to it? (Genuine question)

    You say it goes past thousands of houses and workplaces but in reality it's only haymarket and shandwick place where cyclists would be close to it. That could be easily avoided by going along Grosvenor Crescent or Melville street, or if you live on those streets then discount and walk for 2 mins.
    In Europe they put hard rubber inserts into the groove, it eliminates the possibility of a narrow tyre getting stuck and trams don't notice it's there.... Council at the time decided not to spend the money on implementing it.
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

  20. #19
    @hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    6,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In Europe they put hard rubber inserts into the groove, it eliminates the possibility of a narrow tyre getting stuck and trams don't notice it's there.... Council at the time decided not to spend the money on implementing it.
    Fair enough. Would be interesting to know how much it would cost and the extent to which it reduces accidents.

  21. #20
    @hibs.net private member easty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    33
    Posts
    8,073
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In Europe they put hard rubber inserts into the groove, it eliminates the possibility of a narrow tyre getting stuck and trams don't notice it's there.
    Which is a good idea, but we don't have that here, the tram tracks are completely visible, and cyclists should take responsibility for where they're going.

    If a cyclist cannae see that the tram track is wide enough for thier wheel to get stuck in then they shouldn't be cycling, it's no safe for them.

  22. #21
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    19,683
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Which is a good idea, but we don't have that here, the tram tracks are completely visible, and cyclists should take responsibility for where they're going.

    If a cyclist cannae see that the tram track is wide enough for thier wheel to get stuck in then they shouldn't be cycling, it's no safe for them.
    Being aware of it is one thing. Having to swerve suddenly (wherever that takes you) because of a random pedestrian, taxi-driver, or pot-hole is quite another.
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 22-08-2017 at 01:27 PM.

  23. #22
    @hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 'Mains
    Posts
    2,775
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Which is a good idea, but we don't have that here, the tram tracks are completely visible, and cyclists should take responsibility for where they're going.

    If a cyclist cannae see that the tram track is wide enough for thier wheel to get stuck in then they shouldn't be cycling, it's no safe for them.
    When the tracks were 1st installed the marked cycle lane actually took cyclists at a shallower angle than even the councils own recommendations, basically forcing them into the track, it was why some ignored the cycle way and used the actual road instead (probably getting pelters for doing so!)



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

  24. #23
    @hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 'Mains
    Posts
    2,775
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fair enough. Would be interesting to know how much it would cost and the extent to which it reduces accidents.
    Yup, not sure if it needed a specific type of track in the areas impacted... Probably did hence the decision to not go with it, I can't see long lengths of hard rubber being THAT expensive

    When I read about it at the time it eliminates the problem.



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

  25. #24
    @hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 'Mains
    Posts
    2,775
    To be clear I'm not a cyclist, I was simply in Ryries when on two separate visits a week apart someone came in for help after having an accident, one ended up in the news hence my interest.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

  26. #25
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    19,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yup, not sure if it needed a specific type of track in the areas impacted... Probably did hence the decision to not go with it, I can't see long lengths of hard rubber being THAT expensive

    When I read about it at the time it eliminates the problem.



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    If that is correct, it's not going to look very good for the Council in the cases at hand, and the 50-odd that are pending.

    Slightly off-topic, has any action been taken in the case of the woman who was killed earlier this year? Maybe too soon for that....

  27. #26
    @hibs.net private member easty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    33
    Posts
    8,073
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Being aware of it is one thing. Having to swerve suddenly (wherever that takes you) because of a random pedestrian, taxi-driver, or pot-hole is quite another.
    If pot holes are to blame for sudden swerving into the tra line then fair enough, but if it's pedestrians or drivers, the council shouldn't be held responsible.

  28. #27
    @hibs.net private member easty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    33
    Posts
    8,073
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When the tracks were 1st installed the marked cycle lane actually took cyclists at a shallower angle than even the councils own recommendations, basically forcing them into the track, it was why some ignored the cycle way and used the actual road instead (probably getting pelters for doing so!)


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Shallower angles or not, the cycle lanes are always way way wider than a tram track, cyclists can use thier eyes...see the tram track...dinnae cycle into it. It sounds simple because it is.

  29. #28
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    19,683
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If pot holes are to blame for sudden swerving into the tra line then fair enough, but if it's pedestrians or drivers, the council shouldn't be held responsible.
    I agree, but neither should the cyclist be held responsible.

  30. #29
    @hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,360
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Shallower angles or not, the cycle lanes are always way way wider than a tram track, cyclists can use thier eyes...see the tram track...dinnae cycle into it. It sounds simple because it is.
    At Haymarket heading west it was impossible to avoid the tracks, the initial road layout was not legal and alterations had to be made.

  31. #30
    @hibs.net private member easty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    33
    Posts
    8,073
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At Haymarket heading west it was impossible to avoid the tracks, the initial road layout was not legal and alterations had to be made.
    It might not have been easy, but it wasn't "impossible". Plenty folk did it without coming off thier bike.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved