hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Like I said above, I can deal with defeats. I can't deal with bending over and letting ****ing Hamilton with their 200 fans away support play us off the park at our own stadium.
    What does their number of fans have to do with anything?? As I said we were woeful and got what we deserved but their number of fans has nowt to do with anything...we got spanked off alloa and Dumbarton several times in Championship in case u have forgotten and they didn't have many fans either...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hughio View Post
    What should have been the team then?

Isnt it easy to be wise after the event?

I thought it looked fine on paper.
    They just didn't perform.
    I personally don't think we should EVER be playing with 3 CH's at home against the likes of Hamilton who are only ever going to have 1 up front.

If you're asking for the team I'd have picked I'd have went for

Rocky
    Whittaker
    Stevenson
    Ambrose
    McGregor
    McGeough
    McGnn
    Slivka
    Swanson
    Murray
    Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Super_JMcGinn View Post
    I wish I had a pound for every time I've seen the Lennon is a winner hype.

He got the team selection badly wrong on Saturday and should have come out and said so.

He rightly got the plaudits for the win at Ibrox he should take the flak for that shambles on Saturday.
    Team selection badly wrong? He made one change to the prior weeks team..
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

I personally don't think we should EVER be playing with 3 CH's at home against the likes of Hamilton who are only ever going to have 1 up front.

Rocky
    Whittaker
    Stevenson
    Ambrose
    McGregor
    McGeough
    McGnn
    Slivka
    Swanson
    Murray
    Stokes
    So you would have played Slivjka and dropped Hanlon, again one change from the team that started on Saturday....

Quote Originally Posted by Albanian Hibs View Post
    Slivka should have started.
    Would that have turned a defeat into a win?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    So you would have played Slivjka and dropped Hanlon, again one change from the team that started on Saturday....

Were you happy with starting with 3 CH's against Hamilton at home?

We were playing a 'different animal' the previous week, and that's a direct quote from Lenny himself.

Rocky
    Whittaker
    Stevenson
    Ambrose
    McGregor
    McGeough
    McGnn
    Slivka
    Swanson
    Murray
    Stokes
    3 central defenders works better against 1 striker than 2. Part of the reason it is becoming globally popular is because everyone plays 1 forward now with 2/3 attacking midfielders/wingers in behind. It allows the wider center backs to step into midfield and pass the ball without any pressure on them. The problems come when teams push really high up and shut the defenders down like Hamilton did. Hamilton played well and our players didn't, it was nothing to do with the formation. Didn't we just score 6 against Arbraoth and 5 against Ayr playing with 3 defenders?

I really don't know how many times we need to win well and score goals for people to understand that 3 central defenders isn't more defensive than a back 4. It isn't the 90s anymore, 4-4-2 every week isn't going to work.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    3 central defenders works better against 1 striker than 2. Part of the reason it is becoming globally popular is because everyone plays 1 forward now with 2/3 attacking midfielders/wingers in behind. It allows the wider center backs to step into midfield and pass the ball without any pressure on them. The problems come when teams push really high up and shut the defenders down like Hamilton did. Hamilton played well and our players didn't, it was nothing to do with the formation. Didn't we just score 6 against Arbraoth and 5 against Ayr playing with 3 defenders?

I really don't know how many times we need to win well and score goals for people to understand that 3 central defenders isn't more defensive than a back 4. It isn't the 90s anymore, 4-4-2 every week isn't going to work.
    Well 352 didn't work that's for sure. I'm no coaching genius but playing 5 defenders as opposed to 4 at home is not for me.

Hamilton won't get an easier away game all season and that's shameful on our part.

Well 352 didn't work that's for sure. I'm no coaching genius but playing 5 defenders as opposed to 4 at home is not for me.

Hamilton won't get an easier away game all season and that's shameful on our part.

Did the players all do what they were told and play the formation as Lennon wanted?
    Maybe it was the execution that was wrong, not the idea?
    Hibs played *****, it doesn't matter if you are playing 352, 442, 451, 4231 whatever, if you play poorly and the other team plays well, you will lose.

It isn't shameful, it is disappointing but we will learn more from that 2nd half than we have from all our victories so far. Shameful would be not learning from it.

Rocky
    Whittaker
    Stevenson
    Ambrose
    McGregor
    McGeough
    McGnn
    Slivka
    Swanson
    Murray
    Stokes
    People saying "this is just one change from the actual team" miss the point about square pegs and round holes as it's the,shape change that counted.

Yes it's 1 personnel change but it would give us width. Stevenson is not cut out to be a wing back, hes a full back. We had precious little width and even when Barker came on he,was initially put in the no 10 position.

First Team Breakthrough Green-Hibee-7's Avatar
    Like I said above, I can deal with defeats. I can't deal with bending over and letting ****ing Hamilton with their 200 fans away support play us off the park at our own stadium.
    This.

Was the manner in the defeat more than anything. Formation wrong - yes. Players wrong - yes. But you would still expect with all thouse out there the performance could have been better than that. Woeful from minute one and just didn't feel right from the off.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    I'm not sure what you are suggesting. Perhaps that the players weren't working hard in training the minute Lennon's back was turned? If so, that's ludicrous. Neil does have assistants.

If I've misinterpreted your post, apologies in advance.
    I actually don't think it's right that a part time job can get in the way of the primary full time role (just like surgeons doing lucrative private work in addition to their NHS role). I suspect it is part of the contract negotiated by NL so I can't complain but it doesn't mean I agree with it.

It's the players job to perform to the best of their ability. So when normally reliable players like Hanlon mess up they have to shoulder the blame.

However if the team don't have the right formation, fighting spirit and mentality that's down to the manager.
    Last edited by RIP; 22-08-2017 at 06:04 PM.

[QUOTE=Sioux;5149433]Would that have turned a defeat into a

Who knows???

Hamilton

The same Hamilton who relegated us and kept their place in the top League fir the three seasons we were down.?
    it annoys me too but unfortunately a wee reality check was bound to happen

Were you happy with starting with 3 CH's against Hamilton at home?

We were playing a 'different animal' the previous week, and that's a direct quote from Lenny himself.
    I'd have been happy had we not played like novices

@hibs.net private member
    I just love the debates generated from people playing a computer game. Everyone seems to be an expert in formations and tactics these days.
    Just one cautionary comment: It didn't work for Cathro. What looks pretty on a computer screen just might not work in real life.
    Until computer games catch up with reality then I personally will be happy to see a genuine human being such as NL in charge of team selection.

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    I just love the debates generated from people playing a computer game. Everyone seems to be an expert in formations and tactics these days.
    Just one cautionary comment: It didn't work for Cathro. What looks pretty on a computer screen just might not work in real life.
    Until computer games catch up with reality then I personally will be happy to see a genuine human being such as NL in charge of team selection.

GGTTH
    It's got nothing to do with computer games whatsoever.
    And it is perfectly fair for supporters to challenge the tactics and approach of the team.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    I'd have been happy had we not played like novices
    We looked like a team of strangers playing with hangovers.

Have 100% faith that Lennon will be on to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan View Post
    It's got nothing to do with computer games whatsoever.
    And it is perfectly fair for supporters to challenge the tactics and approach of the team.
    Indeed, tactics existed before computers, nothing wrong with seeing the game as more than 22 guys and a ball.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Did the players all do what they were told and play the formation as Lennon wanted?
    Maybe it was the execution that was wrong, not the idea?
    Hibs played *****, it doesn't matter if you are playing 352, 442, 451, 4231 whatever, if you play poorly and the other team plays well, you will lose.

It isn't shameful, it is disappointing but we will learn more from that 2nd half than we have from all our victories so far. Shameful would be not learning from it.
    Totally agree. We're only just starting out in the top league again, and we should learn from any losses along the way. I still have a minor doubt about us breaking down teams that play a defensive and counterattacking game such as Ross county, but there's still plenty of time to learn from that. The 2 teams we played before Hamilton are both basically more attack-minded and at times leave themselves open, which we exploited.

Mr negative is back... Long time. Then again everything has been positive up until sat.

It was a blip. Nothing more.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    It was a blip. Nothing more.
    Hope so - with 4 away games out of the next 5 league games - we will be tested that is for sure ...

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Hope so - with 4 away games out of the next 5 league games - we will be tested that is for sure ...
    That includes a trip to Celtic Park. This is one of the reasons the defeat at home to Hamilton was so disappointing.

Hibs really need to take something from their home matches. If we're not going to win we must make sure we don't lose.

I'm not too concerned about 4 out of 5 games being away. Last season we got 36 points away and 35 at home. Based on the last 2 matches I can easily see us having a similar ratio this season.

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Ironically I think that hibs will play better away from home when teams won't sit in as much

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk