hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Cathro

Left by mutual consent!

Cathro

Just noticed that after yesterday's game Daly put the boot into the Hearts players' lack of fitness under Cathro. Whether that's him just trying to prove he's got the tough guy mentality to get the job full time or whether he's letting slip how little respect Cathro commanded, it made me wonder why there's been not a peep out of Cathro since his sacking.

Do Hearts still impose those Romanov-era gagging orders as part of their pay-off settlements?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just noticed that after yesterday's game Daly put the boot into the Hearts players' lack of fitness under Cathro. Whether that's him just trying to prove he's got the tough guy mentality to get the job full time or whether he's letting slip how little respect Cathro commanded, it made me wonder why there's been not a peep out of Cathro since his sacking.

Do Hearts still impose those Romanov-era gagging orders as part of their pay-off settlements?
    They're probably still paying his wages.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jax67 View Post
    They're probably still paying his wages.
    And will be for a while, hence they are not in a hurry to appt a successor

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

Daly was part of Cathro's coaching team, so why wait until now to pipe up about it. The fact that he could have done something about it and let Cathro in a job, bit didn't, tells you everything you need to know about him.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Most managers who part company with their teams sign disclaimers for various reasons. One is to protect themselves other is the club. Bad mouthing a former club can be damaging to your career further down the line.

Most get the pay off and go on their way. But I am surprised he's completely vanished though. Never wished them well unusual for a coach to pie off the players completely but then again it's them.

I heard that the training completely lacked any intensity and therefore they got into games and were lost when the opposition actually competed. Tallies that it wouldn't be the greatest for fitness.

Cathro obviously has some good ideas with Box Soccer for example. But seems strange that he's worked with Benitez etc but still struggled with the basics of the UK game i.e. win your battles first then play football

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I heard that the training completely lacked any intensity and therefore they got into games and were lost when the opposition actually competed. Tallies that it wouldn't be the greatest for fitness.

Cathro obviously has some good ideas with Box Soccer for example. But seems strange that he's worked with Benitez etc but still struggled with the basics of the UK game i.e. win your battles first then play football
    He was a very arrogant man as well. He just wouldn't adjust to doing basic stuff as well as his own things. Players were very bored I know that.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar

Tough when they needed to spend extra time away from the training ground figuring out the tactics....
    their mental fitness must be astounding :)

Whats there for Cathro to say that wouldn't get lost in the cross-fire?
    Better doing a period of self-reflection - he was the Dalry Lama after all... can also then keep his powder dry and respond to his critics in one fell swoop rather than Dribs and drabs.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Most managers who part company with their teams sign disclaimers for various reasons. One is to protect themselves other is the club. Bad mouthing a former club can be damaging to your career further down the line.

Most get the pay off and go on their way. But I am surprised he's completely vanished though. Never wished them well unusual for a coach to pie off the players completely but then again it's them.
    Yes, I wasn't expecting to see him come out with anything especially controversial, just wondering why it appears he never even said his farewells to the players.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Daly was part of Cathro's coaching team, so why wait until now to pipe up about it. The fact that he could have done something about it and let Cathro in a job, bit didn't, tells you everything you need to know about him.
    Good point.

"From my point of view the fitness levels are off where I would personally like them to be".

As you say, did he raise this with Cathro at the time? Even though he was part of Cathro's coaching team, he'd been at the club a year longer so maybe they simply didn't gel at all.

Yes, I wasn't expecting to see him come out with anything especially controversial, just wondering why it appears he never even said his farewells to the players.
    Maybe he feels they were stabbing him in the back. Berra said yesterday that Hearts would have lost 3/4 nil against Ranger under Cathro
    Berra 5 mins in the door and seemingly running the show. He played in all these early season games, looks like he's not taking responsibility for it though!

Left by mutual consent!

Most probably think with good reason that he was made the scapegoat for Potter. When the yam support began getting angry at results Potter was getting a lot of criticism and so Cathro was sacked to take the heat off. Heard loads of players coming out in the run up to Cathro being sacked being very positive in his coaching and training routines so it looks as if there is some ruthless promoting himself for the position by Daly in his post Cathro sacking criticism. Feel almost sorry for Cathro now.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Maybe he feels they were stabbing him in the back. Berra said yesterday that Hearts would have lost 3/4 nil against Ranger under Cathro
    Berra 5 mins in the door and seemingly running the show. He played in all these early season games, looks like he's not taking responsibility for it though!
    And maybe Ipswich wouldn't have had such a good start to their season if Berra had stayed

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Daly will say anything to land that job. The fact he's saying it now rather than doing something about it at the time, as he was part of that previous managerial regime, shows how desperate he is.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    Daly will say anything to land that job. The fact he's saying it now rather than doing something about it at the time, as he was part of that previous managerial regime, shows how desperate he is.
    Yup, I've no idea what he's like but he's coming across as a bit of a ****.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    Desperate or keen?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Daly is a mercenary, took Sevco's money to play in the lower leagues, rather than try to better himself
    Says it all about him really

Daly actually could be a good manager I think he should get the gig

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Daly is a mercenary, took Sevco's money to play in the lower leagues, rather than try to better himself
    Says it all about him really
    And more power to his elbow for doing so. It's a short career and if you go into contract negotiations aiming for a few hundred per week and some chumps offer you a few thousand, that's a gift horse you don't look in the mouth.

Now he's a Jambo fanny obviously.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: JonnyLifeForce
    To be fair he never blamed cathro he blamed short pre season. He is trying t come the hard case though that is clear. I'll be honest of the list of 5 I think he's probably best of the bunch that shortlist is pitiful

@hibs.net private member Monktonhall 7's Avatar
    Story I heard was that Daly had the under 20s running up n down Arthur's Seat while The Dalry Llama had the first team practising triangles. Daly asked Potter "when are the first team going to do pre season fitness training" and Potter went ballistic when he checked it out and realised they were miles behind. 2 weeks later Daly was Caretaker.