hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: How long does it take you shake off a Hibs defeat?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • I usually shake it off within an hour or two

28 28.87%
  • It spoils my whole weekend

25 25.77%
  • Depends on opponent/importance of game etc

38 39.18%
  • It haunts me all week and keeps me awake at night

6 6.19%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    First Team Breakthrough huggie1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: huggieedin
    i measure it in pints not days

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I got over yesterday's pretty quickly. We've been great for a while imho, and the general mod about the club is good. I wouldn't want to see too many performances like yesterday but because it's a one-off and not the norm then I'm not dwelling on it.
    Ditto.
    I actually walked home not as disappointed as I have felt after other defeats.
    I think it is the fact that we have had a great start to the season and, without question, still have a squad capable of genuinely competing for 2nd spot.
    Neil Lennon is a winner and he will bring out the best in the talent at his disposal more often than not.
    A bad day at the office is what we witnessed - nothing more, nothing less.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Defeats don't get me as down as they did pre 21-05-16 and wins don't give me the same high as they did either

First Team Breakthrough Hibbycol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Diddy cup. Didn't bother me.
    I'll diddy cup YE, you'll get a boot in the nads

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Not long. I'm used to it and there are more weighty things to worry about.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    Defeats don't get me as down as they did pre 21-05-16 and wins don't give me the same high as they did either
    Certainly agree with that. If for some reason that had been the last game Hibs ever played I could have lived with that. It was milestone moment that will never be eclipsed. I'll always love the club but nothing will ever 'matter' quite so much.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Doesn't get to me like when I was younger and going home and away. Yesterday was annoying but typical Hibs. I looked up the 1999/00 season, our first after promotion and there are some shocking results. We beat Hearts at home 3-1 on the Saturday then lost 1-2 at home to Dundee, a Willie Falconer double, on the Tuesday. I'm already looking forward to Sunday's game v Dundee and a win to send us back up the table
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    By the time I've got to my car.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Certainly agree with that. If for some reason that had been the last game Hibs ever played I could have lived with that. It was milestone moment that will never be eclipsed. I'll always love the club but nothing will ever 'matter' quite so much.
    Dear God.......

Walking up to London Road for my bus home ( i gave the pub a miss) it just appeared to be a disbelief among the supporters on what we had witnessed
    Many i expect,(after the two previous results) myself included, did think we would win "comfortably"
    I suppose, if we do well at Dundee next week

I took me till May 2016 to get over the 1979 Cup Final

First Team Regular scm70nyd1973's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I'm still recovering from the home game against St.Johnstine in September 1974 when Jimmy O'Rourke scored the only goal of the game on his return to Easter Road.

Not a defeat but same horrible pit of the stomach feeling and still not over it yet - coz what could've been - well maybe a wee bit. It was the East Fife game for me when Onion broke his leg or should I say when that feching thug went out to break it for him - was v young at the time but have in mind a dull 0-0 or mibbies a one niller result and it being a very grey day with a really poor crowd. Only other daft thing I can recall (strange what you can remember) was that my old man parked near to where the Meadowbank stadium was or was to be (we always went to the North Stand)and I thought it was a bit odd and was hacked off even more at the walk😡

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by jdships View Post
    Like it or not at 85 there now are more important things in life than a football result
    Seen the day i wouldn't have been worth living with after a reult like that
    I have at last grown up and see things for what they really are

As the saying goes, ...Growing UP is optional, Growing OLD is mandatory !

At 66 I'm still a bairn.

Defeats are a bit different out here where it's a midnight kick off. It was 3am before I'd finished a few facebook posts and got to my kip.

0930 hrs on Sunday it was up with a fitba hangover, and after a short while, the missus said..."You can tell you got beat, you are not jumping about like last week"

Pretty crap Sunday, but it's Monday evening now and I am back to looking forward to our resurgence and inevitable march to footballing glory on Sunday coming against Dundee.

To be honest..and yes maybe I should get a life..but Hibs results DO shape the way I feel for the next few days.

Might be different when I grow up, granted.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    It's a bit more galling nowadays due to the length of time and cost of the round trip. Can't win 'em all though.

Quote Originally Posted by scm70nyd1973 View Post
    Not a defeat but same horrible pit of the stomach feeling and still not over it yet - coz what could've been - well maybe a wee bit. It was the East Fife game for me when Onion broke his leg or should I say when that feching thug went out to break it for him - was v young at the time but have in mind a dull 0-0 or mibbies a one niller result and it being a very grey day with a really poor crowd. Only other daft thing I can recall (strange what you can remember) was that my old man parked near to where the Meadowbank stadium was or was to be (we always went to the North Stand)and I thought it was a bit odd and was hacked off even more at the walk��
    The Onion
    Great article on the following link

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/footba...hibs-1-3281456

Comments below the article are worth a read also, particularly the one from "doontheslope"
    The article also refers to leg breaks being heard on the terracing.

When John Hughes of Celtic (not our Yogi) broke Bobby Duncan's leg, its said you could hear the break from the fit of Easter Road
    That was a truly awful tackle .
    Many would say Bobby was never the same.
    A wonderful full back.

The player who broke Brownlie's leg stayed down the road from us in Clermiston.
    From a good Hibernian family,too.
    I didnt speak to him for a long time.
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 21-08-2017 at 09:36 AM.

I was over it before the end of the game on Saturday.

It was clear long before that that we were getting nothing from the game.

The penalty stung a bit but we were beaten from the point we lost the second goal.

Within the context of everything that Hibs have done right of late, I was able very quickly to move on and accept that the odd out-of-chracter poor performance and defeat will happen along the way.

Cup games hurt a bit more as you are knocked out when you lose them. Derby defeats take a lot of getting over (just ask the Jambos as they have a great deal of recent experience of this).

I'm still annoyed at the way we lost to Aberdeen at Hampden last year, the sloppiness and slackness still rankles. It was almost as if we are so used to getting close now that it doesn't matter as much - it still does to me.

And there's a bit of me deep down that is still struggling to deal with that tortuous Wayne Foster goal and defeat.

Normal league games though - you dust yourself down, there's another one next week.
    Last edited by Smartie; 21-08-2017 at 09:38 AM.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    In days gone by a defeat would linger on my mind until about the middle of the week when thoughts then moved towards the coming weekend and the next fixture. The older I get it doesnt bother me as much, yes it makes me feel bad but we're talking an a hour or two of pissoffedity usually dispelled with a quick pint or two that evening, after all life goes on.
    The bigger games, of course, have a little more intensity to them and the highs and lows are greater, I dont think I will ever fully come back down to earth after May 2016 for instance. The average football fan has these highs and lows constantly, some of the "bigger" clubs perhaps dont have the lows the same but in a way they are missing out because Im sure our lows make our highs much higher and intense.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    As the saying goes, ...Growing UP is optional, Growing OLD is mandatory !

At 66 I'm still a bairn.

Defeats are a bit different out here where it's a midnight kick off. It was 3am before I'd finished a few facebook posts and got to my kip.

0930 hrs on Sunday it was up with a fitba hangover, and after a short while, the missus said..."You can tell you got beat, you are not jumping about like last week"

Pretty crap Sunday, but it's Monday evening now and I am back to looking forward to our resurgence and inevitable march to footballing glory on Sunday coming against Dundee.

To be honest..and yes maybe I should get a life..but Hibs results DO shape the way I feel for the next few days.

Might be different when I grow up, granted.
    Like your style FF
    Hope you too make it to 85 and more
    I have had a great time as a Hibbee and met and made friends with fans and players
    Have had four relatives play for the club and in 1951 even played " down the slope" against the " famous four" ( Bobby J was injured ) and Combe took his place
    Well done you