hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Loads of folk dropping Stokes from their team but McGinn keeps his place?
    McGinn has been excellent this season right up until yesterday ... can the same be said for Stokes?

Marciano

Gray
    McGregor
    Hanlon
    Stevenson

Slivka
    McGinn
    McGeouch
    Boyle if fit .... if not Bartley

Murray
    Big Dave

I wouldn't start the following players for the following reasons:

Stokes ......... He just hasn't shown much at all for me since his arrival and has been close to a passenger in our last two games, I can see no reason not to give big Dave a chance just to accommodate a player who so far isn't bringing it.

Ambrose ...... I actually think he is a decent defender when he screws the nut, but he is letting his old habit of playing himself and us into trouble by making stupid choices in stupid areas get the better of him and he needs to be reined in .... perhaps finding out he isn't undroppable will concentrate his mind.

Swanson .... Sorry Danny, I know you love the Hibs, but that's not enough to convince me you have been an asset to the team since arriving .. Slivka deserves at least a chance on what he has shown, so yer oot mate.

Whittaker .... I don't think he is as fit as he can be, if he is then he isn't the player I hoped we were getting. I'm convinced David Gray is quicker, a better defender and brings just as much in attack ... Time to give him a chance to reclaim the shirt IMO.

It isn't lost on me that all 4 of these players are Neil Lennon signings and at least 3 of them are probably the top earners at the club, but if he has any nous at all he cant let either pride or sentiment get in the way of what heeds to be done and if that means leaving half our wage budget on the bench then so be it.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 20-08-2017 at 03:53 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Marciano

Gray
    McGreggor
    Hanlon
    Stevenson

Bartley
    McGinn
    McGeoch
    Slivka
    (Diamond with Bartley holding and Slivka attacking)

Boyle
    Murray

Quote Originally Posted by alihibs1 View Post
    Marciano

Gray
    Mcgregor
    Hanlon
    Stevenson

Bartley
    Mcginn
    Mcgeouch
    Slivka

Murray
    Stokes

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    That's my line up too.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Not entirely sure what I'd do. If Boyle is fit I'd like him back in the side.

Likewise Marv. I think yesterday showed that all the chat of not needing him in certain games is a bit wide of the mark. We need need to sort out the defensive side and him in front of the defence can play a major part in that.

Not a single player can complain if they're left out after that performance yesterday.

Marciano

Gray
    McGregor
    Hanlon
    Stevenson

McGeouch
    Bartley
    McGinn

Boyle
    Murray
    Swanson

However, it appears that Ambrose/Stokes will be never be dropped

Slivka, Bartley and Boyle come in to the side if they're all available.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Slivka, Bartley and Boyle come in to the side if they're all available.
    Who are you dropping for them

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    McGinn has been excellent this season right up until yesterday ... can the same be said for Stokes?
    He's only played 3 games and scored in 2 of them? 1 poor game and he's out?

McGinn's played what, 7 games? Does that mean he has to have 2 bad games to be dropped?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Players in training today
    Yup think that was sprung upon them at full time yesterday and rightfully
    So

Dundee are going to be fired up, looking for their first points.
    Scott Allan may be struggling for confidence though - missed a sitter yesterday and a penalty the week before.
    The guy who didn't knock it out of play when they were down to 9 men and conceded will be feeling like a proper chump.
    Not sure about personnel but the attitude needs to be better and the defence needs to be fully focused. Shocking lapses from McGregor and Hanlon on Saturday.
    I think one of those two may be dropped.
    Swanson did his best work cutting in from the left for St Johnstone.
    12:30 on a Sunday is a terrible time for a game...

Left by mutual consent!
    Dundee blew it

Tough game next week

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    We didn't get the result we wanted yesterday, but that doesn't take away the body's need for rest. Nor will it do much for squad harmony.

Not a good decision if true (no reason to believe you've made it up).
    Tbf, I think our coaching experts have probably got a good idea of what's right and wrong. I've been at east mains several times the day after games and the players have been in on a couple of occasions.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I'd drop the wing back idea against Dundee and go for a 442

Rocky
    Gray Fontaine Ambrose Whittiker
    Boyle/Barker Bartley Slivka McGinn/Barker
    Dave Murray

I think Lennon has to show that kind of performance is unacceptable and will result in players being dropped.

Defensively I think Fonts deserves his chance after the shambles that was yesterday. Ambrose was the only one of the 3 centre backs that didn't gift a goal away so he stays in the team as long as he remembers he's not ****ing Maradona. Move Whittiker across for a bit more composure on the left as I felt Lewis was panicked yesterday and bring back the skipper.

Midfield was awful and by far our weakest point as a whole yesterday so bring back Marv if he's fit, Slivka starts and McGinn is capable of making things happen so he can start wide left in front of Whittaker. Barker or Boyle on the other wing.

@hibs.net private member
    Players in training today
    Yup think that was sprung upon them at full time yesterday and rightfully
    So

Who are you dropping for them
    I would replace Ambrose, Swanson and Stokes with them.

Marciano

Stevenson
    Hanlon
    McGregor
    Whittaker

Bartley
    Slivka
    McGeouch
    McGinn
    Boyle

Murray

Marciano

Gray
    McGregor
    Hanlon
    Stevenson

Slivka
    McGinn
    McGeouch

Murray
    Big Dave

Stokes ......... He just hasn't shown much at all for me since his arrival and has been close to a passenger in our last two games, I can see no reason not to give big Dave a chance just to accommodate a player who so far isn't bringing it.

Ambrose ...... I actually think he is a decent defender when he screws the nut, but he is letting his old habit of playing himself and us into trouble by making stupid choices in stupid areas get the better of him and he needs to be reined in .... perhaps finding out he isn't undroppable will concentrate his mind.

Swanson .... Sorry Danny, I know you love the Hibs, but that's not enough to convince me you have been an asset to the team since arriving .. Slivka deserves at least a chance on what he has shown, so yer oot mate.

Whittaker .... I don't think he is as fit as he can be, if he is then he isn't the player I hoped we were getting. I'm convinced David Gray is quicker, a better defender and brings just as much in attack ... Time to give him a chance to reclaim the shirt IMO.

It isn't lost on me that all 4 of these players are Neil Lennon signings and at least 3 of them are probably the top earners at the club, but if he has any nous at all he cant let either pride or sentiment get in the way of what heeds to be done and if that means leaving half our wage budget on the bench then so be it.
    I really don't understand your reasoning. Stokes has scored three goals in two games,almost half our total.Ambrose may get himself into trouble but usually gets himself out while McGregor gave away a penalty with a stupid tackle and Hanlon should have put the ball out of the park.Yet you and plenty others want to retain the two defenders most at fault.Both Whittaker and Swanson need to get fitter,there's no doubt about that.

Left by mutual consent!
    Marciano

Whittaker
    Hanlon
    McGregor
    Stevenson

McGeouch
    Slivka
    McGinn

Barker

Stokes
    Murray

Marciano

Gray
    McGregor
    Fontaine
    Stevenson

Bartley

Slivka
    Mcgeouch
    McGinn

Murray
    Stokes

Marciano

Gray
    McGregor
    Hanlon
    Stevenson

Slivka
    McGinn
    McGeouch

Murray
    Big Dave

You are joking aye?!

He's only played 3 games and scored in 2 of them? 1 poor game and he's out?

McGinn's played what, 7 games? Does that mean he has to have 2 bad games to be dropped?
    The two situations are entirely different ... McGinn has been excellent since the start of the season and you don't drop a player after one bad game, especially one who is so much more likely to come back in the next game with a good performance.

Stokes scored yesterday, but in the two full league games he has played he has been far from effective as a team player ... he has had two poor games IMO not one and I think its because he isn't fit enough ..... I cant see any harm in giving him a place on the bench and letting big Dave have a go, he has looked up for it when he has come on and IMO he has to be an option until Stokes regains his mojo.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    I really don't understand your reasoning. Stokes has scored three goals in two games,almost half our total.Ambrose may get himself into trouble but usually gets himself out while McGregor gave away a penalty with a stupid tackle and Hanlon should have put the ball out of the park.Yet you and plenty others want to retain the two defenders most at fault.Both Whittaker and Swanson need to get fitter,there's no doubt about that.
    The only thing I have against Ambrose is that he seems to be getting more and more determined to put himself into trouble with silly stuff under little or no pressure. Yes Hanlon and McGregor both had aberrations on Saturday, but by and large they are both pretty solid and have played many games together .... I'm not going to suggest a player is left out for one clanger in a game .... I just think we should go with tried and tested for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey09 View Post
    You are joking aye?!
    What, so you are saying David Gray, Paul Hanlon, Darren McGregor and Lewis Stevenson couldn't be a decent back four? I get folk disagreeing with my opinion on who to leave out or who comes in ....... but the last time I looked that joke along with Liam Fontaine was the defence that won us the Scottish cup and got us out of the Championship.

Marciano in goals is a given and then my next name down would be Slivka.
    He's looked excellent when he's played for us - reads the game well, excellent passing and a lot of drive.

The real question marks are surely around defence.

I'd go 4 at the back where everyone is clear on their defensive role and then stick Bartley in to break up play with Slivka, McGinn and McGeough running the midfield.

Marciano
    Whittaker - Hanlon - McGregor - Stevenson
    Bartley
    Slivka - McGinn - McGeough
    Stokes - Murray

My other question mark is up front - wondering if Matulevicius is worth a shout.
    I reckon we need to start introducing him to get teams uncertain about how we'll play - setting up to defend against a target man is very different from defending against pace. Also be interesting to see if he can develop an understaning with one or both of Murray and Stokes.

Rocky

Whittaker
    Fonts
    Porteous
    Stevenson

Sliva
    F Murray
    McGinn
    Baxter

Big davey
    S Murray

Make a load of changes from the team on Saturday who clearly couldnt be bothered.

Stokes and Swanson were horrendous. Hanlon/Efe/McGregor were all over the place. McGregor was stupid for the penalty and Hanlon gifted them their 2nd.

We have a big squad, show each one of them that they need to be on form to keep their place! If we dont they will get complacent.

He wont drop Ambrose....he should...but he wont.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Either Porteous or Fonts has to get a run out after Saturday, IMO. Would be disappointed if Slivka didn't start too.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Loads of folk dropping Stokes from their team but McGinn keeps his place?
    I thought Mc Ginn was OK, showed his strength and class, very little support from the other midfielders. Stokes was poor, but Murray was way worse. His touch was shocking and he contributed very little.

I would have Slivka in for Swanson, Gray in at right back and switch Whittaker over to the left. The rest of them can start again.

Rocky

Gray Hanlon McGregor Stevenson

Bartley

Whittaker mcginn mcgeouch Swanson

Murray

One thing sure is we don't want four players in the starting line up who have the chance of playing in an international a few days later.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Rocky

Whittaker
    McGregor
    Ambrose
    Stevenson

McGinn
    McGeough
    Slivka

Boyle
    Murray
    Stokes

If Boyle wasn't fit then Barker on the right with Stokes on the left.