hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Danny Swanson

Danny Swanson

Honest opinions on him so far?

Here's mine.

Shone for Saints in 2 spells with them. Big fish in a small pond maybe?
    Was "found out" in his short spell at Tynie?
    Have we taken on the Saints version or the Jambo version?
    Looking like the latter at the moment.

What does he need to do to live up to his billing.
    Other than one great long range shot from him today, he looked nervous. Trying too hard. Easily dispossessed. Didn't have the bite he has shown in previous games to track back and put a tackle in.

I realise today probably not the best game to single him out. He was as bad as the rest of them.

What do we do with Danny to make him an effective part of the team?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Here's mine.

Other than one great long range shot from him today, he looked nervous. Trying too hard. Easily dispossessed. Didn't have the bite he has shown in previous games to track back and put a tackle in.

I realise today probably not the best game to single him out. He was as bad as the rest of them.

The bit in bold has me asking: "why single him out then and create a thread?"

Danny Swanson is a good player and he will show this more often than not.

Thought Danny looked promising against Partick for the first half, but never really kicked on from then. It's clear to see that he really wants that goal to get him off and running, still believe he could be a big player for us this season.
    As to the question about what do we want from him, I would definitely like to see at least ten goals from him this season, he's certainly capable of it. He can take players on and has a good shot but we haven't seen the best of him yet.
    He's a hibs fan and will be wanting results as much as any of us. Think he could learn a lot from Dylan McGeough in particular about calming down and not trying to force things.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

He scored 15 goals last year. Mainly played off the left as far as I know. We haven't played him in that position.

His face was beetroot today and just before half time he was struggling for breath.Maybe not fit or his nerves are getting to him.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    His face was beetroot today and just before half time he was struggling for breath.Maybe not fit or his nerves are getting to him.
    I don't think he has actually been playing too badly but I thought that about him against Partick but to a much lesser extent

Agree today he looked absolutely knackered and didn't even bother going over to take a corner late in the first half

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    I'm sure Danny will do fine for Hibs. Has been instrumental in quite a few Hibs goals so far this season
    Maybe confidence has taken a wee dent, but he'll recover and start creating and scoring goals for Hibs

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Some players looked good early on in their Hibs career - Zarabi, Pa Kujabi, Lee Power and Paul Tosh to name a few.

Others who didnt hit the ground running early on in their Hibs career include Darren Jackson, Michael O'Neill and Jason Cummings.

Swanson has proved he can do it in this league and i think he will for us.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I like him and one of the few players that look like creating things.

I do think he's probably guilty of trying too hard and trying to force the issue but for some reason I get the impression people are desperate to sharpen the knives for him which I don't understand.

I think he'll be a decent addition to the squad but could really do with a goal to get the monkey (and a few moaners) off his back.

Fwiw my post isn't in response to the op, it's what I thought at the game earlier as well.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    I don't think he has actually been playing too badly but I thought that about him against Partick but to a much lesser extent

Agree today he looked absolutely knackered and didn't even bother going over to take a corner late in the first half
    I thought this as well about him. We missed Boyle alot today and I think the difference in directness between Swanson and Boyle was clear today. Equally, Murray did a lot of chasing as usual but didn't feel Stokes or Sawnson matched his energy or work rate.

Danny isn't a bad player and I don't think he's been terrible for us. But we keep talking about how strong the squad is. Given that all players need to be on there toes at all times.

I definitely hope all your optimism comes to fruition.

Put simply he is just trying to hard and it's not coming off for him the way he wants it to.
    Hope it's as simple an answer as that.

Saw him play twice. Excellent for 60 mins against Ross County and played very well at home against Partick Thistle with an assist.

IMO people are looking to single him out. Why? Because he's one of us? He's 4 or 5 games in to his hibs career and I've seen people write him off.

Incredibly harsh buy I suppose the reality of the world we live in. Perform immediately otherwise there'll be enough people on social media to bring you down.

We're not even out of August yet. Danny sill be a great player for hibs. I believe in him

New scapegoat?

I have seen enough Danny in the Hibs team to think he will come good. Our system sees him on the ball more and expected to do more and so he makes more mistakes, which is noticed more. He needs to get fitter and as soon as he is he will be a better player for us. He doesn't hide while not playing well and keeps trying I fully expect him to come good.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    New scapegoat?
    Starting to look that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    Some players looked good early on in their Hibs career - Zarabi, Pa Kujabi, Lee Power and Paul Tosh to name a few.

Others who didnt hit the ground running early on in their Hibs career include Darren Jackson, Michael O'Neill and Jason Cummings.

Swanson has proved he can do it in this league and i think he will for us.
    Nobody is writing him off, hopefully he will come good, but I'll be honest I expected more of an impact from him to be honest, & said so before today's debacle.

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    The team was pants today. Swanson was no where near the worst player. Opinions are fine but let's not write off a player after 3 games. Boys hibs daft, he's one of us let's not bloody turn on him just because we had one bad (very bad at that) game

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billychaotic182 View Post
    The team was pants today. Swanson was no where near the worst player. Opinions are fine but let's not write off a player after 3 games. Boys hibs daft, he's one of us let's not bloody turn on him just because we had one bad (very bad at that) game
    Agree 100%

Left by mutual consent!
    Swanson was excellent at Tannadice, has excelled in two spells with St Johnstone and I note he scored a decent number of goals for Peterborough.

It never happened for him at Hearts but I think that was just an ill-judged move. In saying that, there's more pressure on players at Hibs and Hearts than there is at the other clubs he's been at and he may take a bit of time to find his feet. Good player though and he'll prove his worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    Nobody is writing him off, hopefully he will come good, but I'll be honest I expected more of an impact from him to be honest, & said so before today's debacle.
    Didnt mean that anyone was writing him off just pointing out a few players that took time to show their worth.

Also think a few folk have missed how important his contribution was against Partick. Key player for 2 of our goals that day.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Swanson was excellent at Tannadice, has excelled in two spells with St Johnstone and I note he scored a decent number of goals for Peterborough.

It never happened for him at Hearts but I think that was just an ill-judged move. In saying that, there's more pressure on players at Hibs and Hearts than there is at the other clubs he's been at and he may take a bit of time to find his feet. Good player though and he'll prove his worth.

There was pressure on him at Hearts because he is a Hibby. There is pressure on him at Hibs also because he is a hibby (probably mostly self inflicted pressure).

A goal will sort him out.

Whether he's Hibs daft or not is completely irrelevant. I don't actually think he's been that bad, couple of big contributions against Partick.

Big concern would be that he looks completely burst early doors in every game and is inevitably hooked earlyish.

It's not quite happening for him yet. We're playing him central though and he played off the left all last year when he was very successful.

Left by mutual consent!
    Exactly. Its absurd to be singling out one player for particular criticism. Danny will like every other player hit form and lose form at points in time. It was an overall very poor team performance today and lets hope the team as a whole will look to vastly improve on today's game.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Danny appears to be trying too hard. As a previous poster observed if he relaxes and settles he'll be fine. He'll have better games than today as will most...

Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post

Here's mine.

In a nutshell. Think he is just rushing / forcing things at the moment. When he gets his goal at Easter Road he'll settle down just fine and all this noise will disappear.

The laddie is a fine footballer. let's not forget that...

Left by mutual consent!
    Danny isn't responsible for team shape. Today was a shocker from our manager too interested in jumping down to Ireland mid week for the Celtic match and winding up rangers. Total focus on Hamilton? No, it wasn't from anyone and we got what was deserved. Lessons hopefully learned and hopefully Lennon is in taking training Tuesday instead of sitting in a studio watching Celtic.

Thought him and stokes were poor. If they were at the races I think we'd have scored in the first half then gone on to win. As it was Hamilton got their penalty then just picked us off when we got desperate trying to equalise. We looked toothless going forward today.

Ivan Sproule

Sometimes playing for your boyhood heroes can be too much and like Danny, he's just trying too hard to impress. He needs to just settle down and play his natural game and it'll come, he showed some nice touches early on but nothing came off for him.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarter1 View Post
    Ivan Sproule
    He is nothing like Sproule