hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whittaker

Whittaker

Not based just on today because they were all terrible today except the subs but Whittaker is not a better option than Gray. He is poor defensively and offers nothing going forward. Everything done at 2 miles an hour.
    I really thought he would be better than he is. Gray needs to be back in the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not based just on today because they were all terrible today except the subs but Whittaker is not a better option than Gray. He is poor defensively and offers nothing going forward. Everything done at 2 miles an hour.
    I really thought he would be better than he is. Gray needs to be back in the team.

I'll be fair to him and say he was half decent in his first few games. I know he's older now but why is he terrified to take on a full back? I'd have Gray back in pronto, If anything though I'd have Stevenson dropped for Whittaker (I'm a massive Stevenson fan but today he was dreadful)

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    I don't think he's bad going forward, there were a couple of times he could have scored today.

Defensively Gray is streets ahead of him

100% it's affecting our defence badly...get SDG back in pronto

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    100% it's affecting our defence badly...get SDG back in pronto

And while we're at it, go back to a back 4!

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    And while we're at it, go back to a back 4!
    Indeed...no need for a back 3 at home to Hamilton...back to a back 4 of Gray Hanlon Daz and lewy IMO

Nothing going forward? A goal vs Partick?? Only chance we created first half from his pass??

We were bad enough without posting blatant lies.

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Nothing going forward? A goal vs Partick?? Only chance we created first half from his pass??

This.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Aye I thought Whittaker was one of our better players at times today

You're going for it today with the knee jerk reactions huh? Whittaker was good first half, offered plenty going forward. Poor 2nd half

Fantastic against Partick and scored a goal that Gray would never have converted

What a bizarre post

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    You're going for it today with the knee jerk reactions huh? Whittaker was good first half, offered plenty going forward. Poor 2nd half

Fantastic against Partick and scored a goal that Gray would never have converted
    He needs to stop standing watching while giving the opposition wingers as much time as they like to cross the ball. Happened twice today and was the reason for Sevco's 2nd goal last week.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Didn't have a good second half but his quality is evident. Delighted we have him.

Left by mutual consent!
    SDG MUST return

If it's any consolation to Steven Whittaker Lewis Stevenson was even worse

Couldn't tackle for toffee today

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Whittaker was our best player today in my opinion.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    My main issue with Whittaker is when he loses the ball around about the half way line. He stands still and gives the opposition player a free run at goal. It's as if he gives up or can't be bothered running back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    Whittaker was our best player today in my opinion.
    I thought so as well.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Gray is far better defensively but Whittaker is a bit better going forward.

I thought Whittaker had an excellent first half but he fell away badly in the second as the whole team did. I wouldn't really say he was any more culpable than anyone else for our result today.

The thing for Whittaker though is that since he's keeping our club captain out of the side there can't be much room for tolerance of poor performance from him - he can't expect to have a run of bad games without being dropped. Whether or not a single iffy game is enough to be dropped is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post

I thought he was one of the better players in the first half and always seemed to find space.

I've been pleased with Whittaker since he's been back but today he had a shocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    Indeed...no need for a back 3 at home to Hamilton...back to a back 4 of Gray Hanlon Daz and lewy IMO

If anyone thinks a back four including Laurel and Hardy on the left side will be good enough for this division they are seriously deluded.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Knew folk would be singling out individual players today. They were all rotten. Lennon will be on the case. Time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    That's not saying much. It was as poor a team performance as I've seen from Hibs for quite some time. All the more frustrating that it comes following a win at Ibrox. But it's far from the first time that's ever happened.

That said, some credit has to be given to Hamilton. Simon Murray was nullified apart from one good chance in the first half. Teams like Hamilton are not just going to turn up at ER to roll over and make up the numbers, and it's arrogant to think they will.

This league, I suspect, will be harder than some think, and I saw no evidence today that Hibs are consistent enough to secure second place in this league behind Celtic at the end of this season. Hibs can be good on their day, but that's not enough.

I'm looking forward to hearing what Neil Lennon has to say.

Testimonial Due
    All that is required on this forum is for people to settle down!
    Already I've read we need 4 new defenders before the window shuts?
    Stokes needs to stay in centre forward position all game?
    Player everyone drooled over Whittaker, now seems to be the new whipping boy to some?
    If we thought we were invincibles we would be wearing hoops, we were never going to win every game, it is maybe hard that it was Hamilton that beat us, but I believe they came here with a game plan to beat us and it worked.
    In our other two games our game plan worked, unless your Celtic at the moment, everyone will lose unexpected games, its how you react to losing that is the difference!!!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibees62
    Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post
    I thought he was one of the better players in the first half and always seemed to find space.
    Totally agree one brilliant tackle springs to mind when he went to ground and won the ball down in the corner of our half.
    Thought he was our best player today but that's not saying a lot as none of them got pass marks tbh.

Can't agree with this one sadly. Out of all the signings so far Whitts has been one of the more impressive id say. When it comes to SDG though I can agree I do think we miss him and he's not the type of player to sit on our bench constantly, I just don't think he should be swapped for whitts.

First half Whittaker was consistently good going forward particularly in view of the number of poor passes he was given.His passing into the box was good and he's streets ahead of Gray in that respect.Second half he went down the tubes with the rest.I've said a few times when I've read about our great defence that for three years they've been playing mostly against poor players and teams that hardly sent any players forward.Now it's a step up and they have to recognise that and not play stupid balls like Hanlon did in stead of putting it into row Z.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    This 100% wonder if those slagging him were at the game today

I'd drop Whittaker next game, not because of his performances because he's been doing well but feel Gray needs to come back in to keep him happy and give the defence and team a more familiar team mate aswell as the captains presence. He's as good a player as Whittaker and they need to be rotated